Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Best Fans #98970 01/23/07 06:14 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
I know that on another thread there is some discussion about fans. I thought I would ask the question about the best fans in the state. I love my Derby Panthers and support them every chance I get. I also know they travel to some great tournaments and Coach Ross don’t run from anyone. It would be very difficult for any wrestler on a Derby Roster to go undefeated. Enough accolades for Derby though.

As much as I love Derby, I have to say, I haven’t seen a more knowledgeable, supportive, good sport crowd as the Norton Blue Jays fan base. I got to see them again this last week at the Emporia Dual tournament and in a tough 33-31 win over Derby I have to say, even in the close matches, there was little arguing from the fans, and a great deal of good sportsmanship shown towards Derby and the Derby wrestlers. It was also amazing to watch the fan base know when to yell, and what to yell to get the officials attention. This happened once on a locked hands violation during the match. Another good thing was they didn’t dispute the close calls against their team that were per say judgment calls. I’m talking about the fans now, not the coach, who was also a great sport and obviously a strong leader for this team. I was this last weekend, as well as have been in the past, also very impressed with how well their fans travel. I was amazed at the number of people in the stands on this day with all of the bad weather.

There are a lot of great schools out there, a lot of strong fan bases, but the Norton fans get my nod as to how well they support their team. Any other great testimonies regarding the fans from other teams or others about Norton? Let’s hear them.

Re: Best Fans [Re: Mike Furches] #98981 01/23/07 07:31 PM
Chase Offline
I have to give it up for my Alma Matter Goddard...but another school that comes to mind is Colby...At there home tournament the gym was LIT up for all the wrestling action and had the best crowd that I could remember

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Best Fans [Re: Mike Furches] #98982 01/23/07 07:32 PM
Chase Offline
I have to give it up for my Alma Matter Goddard...but another school that comes to mind is Colby...At there home tournament the gym was LIT up for all the wrestling action and had the best crowd that I could remember

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Best Fans [Re: Mike Furches] #98991 01/23/07 08:38 PM
I'm your huckleberry Offline
Mike what you saw was a glipse of the way it used to be in NW KS.
Many of the duals were that way. I remeber as a kid at the Norton vs Sainty dual in Sainty. Norton Coach Jake Durham would just stick his head in the door and the crowd would boo. He said " I would rather have them boo me than laugh at me". Sadly those days are about over due to population decline, but it was sure fun while it lasted.

Re: Best Fans [Re: I'm your huckleberry] #98993 01/23/07 08:59 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: I'm your huckleberry
Mike what you saw was a glipse of the way it used to be in NW KS.
Many of the duals were that way. I remeber as a kid at the Norton vs Sainty dual in Sainty. Norton Coach Jake Durham would just stick his head in the door and the crowd would boo. He said " I would rather have them boo me than laugh at me". Sadly those days are about over due to population decline, but it was sure fun while it lasted.

First, Chase I know Goddard is good, I just have too many friends there to be objectionable. Huckleberry, I would have loved to have seen those days.

Re: Best Fans [Re: I'm your huckleberry] #98994 01/23/07 09:00 PM
A
A. Oncewas Offline
A
Hoxie and Norton crowds going at it at state in the 90's and early 00's. Most exciting crap ever.

Troy Reitcheck
Re: Best Fans [Re: I'm your huckleberry] #98996 01/23/07 09:01 PM
bullwrestler Offline
Would agree that Norton has the best wrestling fans that I have seen. Only witnessed them at the Newton TOC which is a long drive from Norton and they are well represented and loud.

Other great fans that I have only seen at State when 4A,5A & 6A were still all together are as follows:
Clay Center
Abilene
Ark City
Paola
Goodland
Columbus
Hutchinson
Scott City

I am sure there are many others and that Norton is not the ony 3A school with great fans, so let us hear from you.

Re: Best Fans [Re: bullwrestler] #99005 01/23/07 10:27 PM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
The 3a teams that always stand out at regionals and state to me are Hoxie and Norton. Me and one of my friends from high school always joked that if we were going to rob a bank we knew where and when we would go, we would go to Hoxie on state wrestling night because as many people as they put in the stands their could be no way that their was anyone left in that town, we said that joking of course because their is no way i am smart enough to get away with something like that. Norton also packs their corner of Gross at state time, and when you dual them they have the Duals in their Smaller gym and completly pack it which makes for a great atmosphere. Also oberlin when one of their wrestler get someone on their back and they all yell SQUEEEEEEZE, its always pretty cool. Those are the ones that always stick out to me at 321a.

Jason Malay

So that makes you a Jewfin?
Re: Best Fans [Re: Mike Furches] #99025 01/24/07 01:24 AM
B
broeckelman Offline
B
Mike
Thanks for the comments, but I would like to add to it about Norton that most people don't know. My family and I moved to Norton in 2000. I think it was during one of the Norton Kids wrestling practices that a man sat down beside me and started talking to me and welcomed my family and I to Norton and to Norton's wrestling family. This man was David Sprigg, Michael's dad. At that time I didn't really know what he meant by the family comment, but having been here since 2000 and becoming part of this family here in Norton I realize what he meant. We are blessed with a great coaching staff and support from our school. But most of all from our fans.
We have fans that follow our boys and aren't even related or have sons of their own wrestling right now on the team. JYD, Zwick, Sharkey and Double Barrel and the rest of you. Thanks.... Your support is not unnoticed...
Most importantly our wrestler's are all part of this family. Every time one of them wins a great match or loses a tough one we all feel the glory or the pain. Because afterall we are all part of this family. We are the Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa or bro or sis of everyone of our wrestler's. It is something really special and you might have to live here to completely understand. I know I didn't until I moved here...

Re: Best Fans [Re: broeckelman] #99039 01/24/07 03:42 AM
Prant Garker Offline
In addition to Norton, I've always thought that Clay Center had some very committed fans.

Also--it's worth mentioning that whenever Mulvane won its title in 5A (2002?), their fan support was outrageous. After their program died out a little bit, so did the support.

Re: Best Fans [Re: Prant Garker] #99043 01/24/07 10:20 AM
usawks1 Offline
Whoa!! Was that a Prant Garker sighting or was it a really vivid dream? You know, a dream like that guy on TV dancinig around his office in his tighty whities!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Best Fans [Re: usawks1] #99053 01/24/07 01:13 PM
resslnfan Offline
It's good to know that Prant is still watching over us. Watch your grammar! I agree that the Clay Center fans are among the best. In recent years I've attended the Clay Center/Abilene dual not only for the outstanding wrestling, but also to be a part of great crowd electricity.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)