Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Last Kids State Championship #106309 03/22/07 02:52 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
There will be some wrestlers who are wresting their last kids state championship. I thought this would be a good place to share about some of the things we as coaches, parents, or wrestlers have experienced over the years. Please keep it positive.

Over the years I have attended 14 Kids State Championships, (including Novice and Open) either as a dad, a coach, or an official. This year will be my last attending as a dad of a wrestler. I just thought I would share a little insight. Nothing is as important as being a parent. It is why I chose this year to be first and foremost a dad. There is a ton of debate about coaching your kids but over the years, my experience tells me, first and foremost, love your kid, let them know you are a parent.

For those who have kids going to state, this in and of itself is an accomplishment. Not every kid can win state, there are many more that never get there. A lot of things could happen, and any kid can step it up.

I will never forget some of the matches my son wrestled. The first time at Novice State in Oklahoma he took 3rd, Then in the Open division he didn’t place, the next year he won Novice, but again didn't place in Open. Then there is the last year in Oklahoma he beat a great kid who has become a great friend, Jeremy Goree. Then there the experiences in Kansas, the first time walking into the Expo Center and realizing this state had the best kids fans in the country. The year against Aaron Hoag in a match that went to overtime and Aaron wrestled one of the best matches I have ever seen him wrestle. The time Darrin Stroot was ahead with 10 seconds to go by 2, Nate reversed him to his back, then last year, where I didn’t get to see the first 2 periods of the match against a great kid Trent Cox. The most memorable time though was the year Tyler Graebner lost his battle with cancer.

Bottom line, kids are going to be kids and to a parent, they will always be your kid. I have such a strong belief that this sport needs to celebrate the kid for what they do in a good way. Over the years I have seen so many parents or coaches mat side, in the stands, and in the hallways of a venue, telling a kid what they should do. Thankfully many of the times the approach was in love, but I am sad to say there were other times the approach was either abusive or bordering on abuse. Celebrate the kids accomplishment because those kids need to be celebrated and recognized for their efforts. Leaving a good and lasting impression will be one of the most important things that will have that kid wanting to wrestle the next season.

I have to confess, for a good many years, I was a horrible example. I coached and yelled, I was abusive and not understanding. Now, especially with the high school kids, when given the honor to coach, I watch the clock, I ask about rules interpretations when need be, and I watch the score. I realize I can’t really coach that much from the sideline during a match. If I or the other coaches haven’t done their job during the week, then I can’t expect to suddenly do it during a match.

This weekend will be a sad time for our family, a sad time because after 14 state kids championships being there as a parent will be over. There are a ton of people one could thank, but especially the coaches, whether those coaches from Oklahoma including, Owasso, Tulsa Rangers, or Oologah, and in Kansas from all over including of course our home team, Derby, then Central Kansas, TOHK, and even individuals like Eric Akin. Others continue to help and coach, I appreciate that.

On a closing note, many often complain about the length of time at tournaments, I understand that as I was among those very people. I can also tell you that the best and most sincere friends I have on this planet, aren’t those from a church, a neighbor, or even a former school mate. They are wrestling people, people I met at those tournaments. We get out of life what we put into it and let come back to us in return. To those who gave back, thanks from the bottom of my heart.

To all of the volunteers, you have no idea sometimes what you give when you volunteer to do the things you do. To all of those, I also say thank you, thank you for not just making a great tournament possible for the kids, but for giving life memories that will last a lifetime.

Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: Mike Furches] #106312 03/22/07 03:17 PM
windjammer Offline
Mike,

I know we'll all miss having Nathan around. He's a great wrestler and a great kid. Congratulations to him and you on a great kids club wrestling career.

Now I'm going to have ♫ Misty water colored memories of the way we were...♫ stuck in my head all weekend.

Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: windjammer] #106325 03/22/07 05:30 PM
C
Coach Knox 61 Offline
C
Good Luck Nathan and remenber Hard Work Pays Off!

Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: Coach Knox 61] #106340 03/22/07 06:50 PM
parkwayred Offline
Thanks Mike for the reflection… this too is my last year as a Dad of a Kid wrestler. The memories of all the roads traveled, the great people met along the line, the life long friendships that have been fostered over the years! Thanks to everyone that has allowed us to be part of the Kansas wrestling family for the last 15 years. One last thanks needs to go out to my 18 year old daughter (Lindsey) for putting up with this passion almost every Saturday with out complaint!

Mark Miller and Family

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: parkwayred] #106343 03/22/07 07:12 PM
windjammer Offline
After your kids are done wrestling Mark and Mike, you should have a big argument and get ejected. You wouldn't have to worry about the 8 day, next tournament consequences. What a way to go out!

Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: windjammer] #106385 03/23/07 02:43 AM
Z
Zach F. Dad Offline
Z
Windjammer...that's hilliarious!

Mike,

Just think though, maybe here in a few years you'll go on to watch Nate at a Div.1 school (O.U. OR O.S.U). Wouldn't that be exciting!

Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: Zach F. Dad] #106387 03/23/07 02:49 AM
A
AKnorr Offline
A
yea thats a great idea to go out in style

14u 150
Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: AKnorr] #106414 03/23/07 11:16 AM
Scarecrow_103 Offline
Mr. Furches,

I know how you feel. My parents are going through the same stuff now. If you think that this is bad wait until Nate's senior year! My mom cried at almost every tournament we went to this year.

Brandon

Re: The Last Kids State Championship [Re: Scarecrow_103] #106419 03/23/07 12:06 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Good post Mike,

Having grown up in Oklahoma, there were a few tough Kansas kids that came around but for the most part we didn't think much about them. I for one am thankful that my son Tanner has had the opportunity to wrestle in such a great state. Our family has gained lifetime friends and the heart and passion of KS wrestling fans are second to none. This last year when I turned my club over to another coach, I really though I would miss it more. I found out that the High School experience adds a whole new level of love for this sport.

We flat out have it good here in Kansas. There is not a better time of the year watching kids chase their dreams, parents yell, laugh and cry for their kids and coaches see all of the work that the kids have put in, pay off.

Let's get ready to wrestle!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)