Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: TheTiger] #106945 03/29/07 12:10 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
If you think that's bad, here's an article that you should enjoy. Pretty much exact same situation but with a dual on the line. It's pretty disgusting what some people will do.

Controversial 215 match leaves Porta crying foul

By DAVE KANE
STAFF WRITER

Published Thursday, February 22, 2007

The wrestling season ended for Petersburg Porta High School by the slim margin of 31-29 in a Class A Dual Team Sectional loss to Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley on Tuesday night at Eureka High School. It was the Bluejays' only dual loss after 25 straight victories.

There always are "might-have-beens" for a team on the losing end of a narrow decision. But everyone in the Porta camp talked about just one thing on Wednesday: a controversial disqualification of Porta senior Adam Gurski in his 215-pound match against Josh Ingold of GCMS.
"The whole thing wreaks, to be honest," said Porta principal Darren Hartry, who attended Tuesday's match. "In my opinion, it was one of the most unethical things I've seen during my 23 years in education."
GCMS led 25-14 going into the 215 match, which was the 11th of 14 bouts. Matches for 285-, 103- and 112-pounders still remained in the dual meet that sent the winning team to the Class A State Dual Team Tournament on Saturday in DeKalb.
Gurski, who had pinned Ingold earlier in the season, held an early 2-0 lead. Gurski then was assessed separate one-point penalties for illegal holds, tying the score 2-2 just 40 seconds into the bout. According to several individuals who were at the meet, Ingold returned to the center of the mat after the second one-point penalty and appeared ready to resume.
But GCMS coach Ryan Birt at that point asked referee Andy Warner of Savoy for 2 minutes of recovery time for Ingold.
"It was a full nelson, and I stopped the match and penalized (Gurski)," Warner said Wednesday. "Then (Ingold) gets back to the center and the (GCMS) coach says, 'Whoa, I want recovery time to check my wrestler.'
"I'm like, 'O-kaaay,' but there was no pressure on the full nelson. It was funny, because (Ingold) looked like he was ready to wrestle. But I'm not a doctor. After about 45 seconds, the Gibson City coach says his wrestler's unable to continue.
"He (Birt) never called a trainer over. But it goes down as an injury by illegal hold, and (Ingold) is the winner by default. That's six points for Gibson City. I've been officiating 33 years, and I'd bet 90 percent of the kids don't know that rule."
It gave GCMS a 31-14 lead at that point. Porta earned a total of 15 points in winning the final three matches - one by pin, one by forfeit and one by decision - to account for the final two-point margin.
Warner said he has no authority as an official to rule whether a wrestler is able to continue. But he knew the significance of Birt's decision.
"That's a maximum of a 12-point turnaround," Warner said of the 215 match, "or a minimum of nine points. Do I agree with what happened? You hate to say. But I'm not a doctor."
Porta coach Jeff Hill was not present Tuesday night because his wife, Beth, was hospitalized. But several others from the Porta coaching staff who were present, including assistant Rick Thomas, questioned the ethics of Birt's move.
Thomas said Birt was rubbing Ingold's neck during the stoppage. But with Ingold originally appearing ready to wrestle, Thomas was skeptical about the injury.
"I don't think coaches should have the authority to make a decision like that," said Thomas, who did not take issue with Warner's handling of the situation but said the Illinois High School Association should consider a rule change.
"Maybe the ref should talk to the kid first," Thomas said. "I'd like to see something addressed with that. There's nothing you can do the way it's set up now.
"But if a kid is ready to wrestle and the coach steps in . . . I know if my kid might have a neck injury, I'd want a professional to look at him. There was a trainer there."
When contacted Wednesday night, Birt declined to comment in detail about his decision in the 215 match.
"I respect Jeff Hill greatly," Birt said of the Porta head coach and the Bluejays program. "To think that this was some type of attack against them . . . it's just something that happened. Everyone will have to move forward from this.
"The way this came down, it's not in any way how I wanted it to happen."
Fred Kroner, a reporter for the Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette who covered the match Tuesday night, said he interviewed Birt immediately following the match.
"My decision came on the effort of these (GCMS) kids and what they deserve," Birt was quoted by Kroner in a story published in Wednesday's editions of the News-Gazette. "We've worked these kids like dogs. We had the opportunity to seize the match against a team that was undefeated."
Birt said Wednesday that his comments in the News-Gazette story were taken out of context.
According to Kroner, Birt later was interviewed by Randy Sharer of The Pantagraph in Bloomington after Birt had talked to Ingold in the locker room.
"It was (Ingold's) call, and we stuck with it," Birt was quoted in Wednesday's editions of The Pantagraph. "It was Josh Ingold's call. I said 'Josh, I want to know the truth. If you feel I made you make that call, we'll turn it over to the other team.' He goes, 'Coach, you did not make me make that call.'
"Trust me. I won't sleep tonight, but when it comes down to it, I did what I needed to do as a coach."
Hartry said everyone in the Porta contingent predictably was upset in the aftermath.
"Our fans voiced a lot of displeasure when the forfeit was awarded, and our wrestlers were distraught," Hartry said. "But I was proud of our coaches. They kept things under control. It could've gotten ugly." Hartry also credited Gurski, whose high school career ended on a disappointing note. "I went down and talked to Adam during second hour today," Hartry said Wednesday. "I was proud of him. He's handled himself with class. If anyone should be upset, it should be him."

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Scarecrow_103] #106954 03/29/07 02:56 PM
Mike Furches Offline
For those going to Brute a valuable lesson. I would also say, I have noticed the Missouri refs call some potentially dangerous a little differently than Kansas. One of those things it would be good for the clubs to remind the wrestlers of, I have seen some tournaments that don't allow the Tulsa Ride, a shame really in that there is nothing illegal about that move. Same as a baseball bat or any number of other things. Was it a baseball bat or Tulsa Ride that Romey was working. The shame is the official should have been in position to prevent a "potentially dangerous" or "illegal hold." If setting that move up, most officials would have time to prevent the hold if they have knowledge of the move at all.

Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Mike Furches] #106959 03/29/07 04:04 PM
Chase Offline
I think that if your injured enough to where you can't finish your match...then you should not be able to continue through the tournament...If your hurt that bad then there is no way you could be able to wrestle anymore matches

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Mike Furches] #106960 03/29/07 04:10 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: Mike Furches
For those going to Brute a valuable lesson. I would also say, I have noticed the Missouri refs call some potentially dangerous a little differently than Kansas. One of those things it would be good for the clubs to remind the wrestlers of, I have seen some tournaments that don't allow the Tulsa Ride, a shame really in that there is nothing illegal about that move. Same as a baseball bat or any number of other things. Was it a baseball bat or Tulsa Ride that Romey was working. The shame is the official should have been in position to prevent a "potentially dangerous" or "illegal hold." If setting that move up, most officials would have time to prevent the hold if they have knowledge of the move at all.

I wish I used a baseball bat when I wrestled Lambrecht or Hoy in college, thing about it though I would have still struck out.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #106962 03/29/07 04:32 PM
J
JesusNmark1 Offline
J
where can we follow the action and brackets?

Mark

Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #106963 03/29/07 04:37 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Report from this morning!

Coach Andrade and I made it to the beach! Our purpose was to pick up a few items for the VIPs back home. And we did! However, the 45 degree temperature with a 15 mph North wind, made it anything but comfortable.

Virginia Beach, at least what I have seen of it, is a beautiful and clean community. Military jets seem to be in air frequently ... which I really enjoy. I hope I don't step off a curb because I'm always gawking skyward!

By the way ... there is still wrestling going on! Aldon Isenberg, Scott Elliott, and Atticus are still wrestling well and on the "front side" of the brackets.

Jake Tanenbaum is out, at 1-2. Tyler Koehn lost again, 0-1, and is out of the tourney.

The Seniors are getting ready to weigh-in beginning at 2 pm EST.

I have a couple of meetings and more wrestling to watch today. The Seniors start tomorrow morning. Their brackets will be out after 5 pm today.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: usawks1] #106966 03/29/07 04:44 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
... OH, the infamous Boardwalk is now concrete! The "Boardwalk" stretches along the Atlantic for 4 1/2 miles. The "board" walk was wiped out by a hurricane in the late 30's or early 40's according to a local source.

One of the clerks at a shop we stopped out has family in Newton!

The Virginia Beach Convention Center is a brand new facility and is a gorgeous piece of architecture! You have to put it on the, "places to see" list for all you land-lovers!

Last edited by usawks1; 03/29/07 08:49 PM.

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: usawks1] #106970 03/29/07 05:15 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the guys do in the class of 2007. I think this class has been outshadowed at times by what is a phenomenal 2008 class. 2007 has a lot of "unknowns" nationally and could really open up some eyes.

I think 160lbs is one of our strongest weights as is some others. I always hope for more, but 3 All Americans is what I'd like to see minimum.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #106972 03/29/07 05:38 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
And ... a great joke that Atticus told during a timeout ... what do you call a cow with no legs ... ground beef!

Pretty funny from a guy named Disney!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: usawks1] #106976 03/29/07 07:05 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: usawks1
And ... a great joke that Atticus told during a timeout ... what do you call a cow with no legs ... ground beef!

Pretty funny from a guy named Disney!!

That's pretty Mickey Mousey if you ask me!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #106977 03/29/07 07:19 PM
C
Coach Yeamans Offline
C
We just got word that Tyler Stokes and Aldon Isenberg made it to the finals!!! Congratulations to both of them and good luck to all of Team Kansas this week in Virginia!!!

Coach Yeamans
Gardner Edgerton High School

Last edited by Matt Yeamans; 03/29/07 07:21 PM.
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Coach Yeamans] #106980 03/29/07 08:47 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
... I second that!

Kansas can be proud of the representatives we have on our teams of underclassmen. Also making the finals are Scott Elliott and Atticus Disney. Many feel that Romero should be in the finals also. Regardless, our wrestlers in the Sophomore and Junior divisions are making an impact!

The Seniors have all weighed in and are fueling up for competition that begins in the morning!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: usawks1] #106981 03/29/07 09:20 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Here's a link to watch 2 of Aldon's matches.

http://www.flocasts.com/flowrestling/hs2007.php

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #106984 03/29/07 10:41 PM
H
Heather N Offline
H
For some reason, when I try to watch the matches......they won't work.

Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Heather N] #106985 03/29/07 11:03 PM
Chase Offline
Checking the brackets...looks like a possible KS vs. KS in the finals with Elijah Madison (yes I know he is in Missouri now but he's kansas in my heart) vs. Atticus Disney...looks like it could be a yummy battle

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: Chase] #106989 03/30/07 01:08 AM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
Is there anywhere we can see the senior brackets?

Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: KCWrestlersMom] #106996 03/30/07 07:40 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
 Originally Posted By: KCWrestlersMom
Is there anywhere we can see the senior brackets?

The brackets will open in a PDF file and may be slow to open!

NHSCA Senior National Brackets - PDF

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #106999 03/30/07 08:08 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Romero Cotton has advanced to the Consolation Quarterfinals after winning four back side matches including a 8-6 victory over a very talented Brent Haynes from Missouri.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #107000 03/30/07 08:10 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Scott Elliott has advanced to the finals at 189 lbs. and will wrestle Ryland Geiger from Oregon for the championship.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Report from Virginia Beach!!! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #107001 03/30/07 08:12 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Atticus Disney advanced to the finals at 285 lbs. and will wrestle Elijah Madison for the championship.

Richard D. Salyer
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 137 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)