Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Jeff Smith] #119949 02/19/08 08:50 PM
J
jcassaboom Offline
J
Just wanted to say this has been a very good thread!!!! We all should be more aware of the risks at all tourneys that we go to. I think that yes you can contract a skin disease from any tournament, but Jeff does have a good point. Why do they not have it at Century II anymore or in the colliseum?
I would love to see more awareness at all the tournaments on MRSA. I had another case of it in the ER today.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: jcassaboom] #119994 02/20/08 12:15 AM
Cokeley Offline
I don't know about sports injuries but I did read that more people die from vending machines falling on them than from snake bites.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Cokeley] #120010 02/20/08 01:26 AM
D
deeohh Offline
D
I think the people who have horses, pigs, cattle or any other livestock in the building should be forced to put diapers on those animals. That would end all that poop.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: deeohh] #120025 02/20/08 01:57 AM
CJA Offline
I hear plenty of kids in S.W Kansas,Oklahoma,Texas,Colorado are wrestling here.March 8-9.http://newmexicojuniorwrestling.com/

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: CJA] #120050 02/20/08 03:07 AM
S
southkscatfan Offline
S
I am a complete newby to the board with no WC agenda whatsoever. My son is a first year wrestler and will not be going to the WC because I don't feel he is ready yet for that level of competetion.

With that being said. I know a little about animals particularly livestock animals. The post from the person who is a nurse was very spot on in relation to possible transmissible microorganisms that are a concern with livestock.The one correction or rather point of contention that I have with that was the discussion of antibiotics fed to livestock adding to the risk. It is true that antibiotics are frequently fed to ruminant animals for weight gain and improved feed effieciency,they are commonly reffered to as ionophores.

However Show quality animals are fed and treated much differently than food production animals. I think in 98/100 of these animals you would not find ionophores being fed to these "pets". Most of those animals are fed exacting and well managed diets free of additives designed to add the most weight in the shortest amounts of time before slaughter.If the Coliseum does allow livestock production sales in this facility I would be much more concerned.

And it is these show types of animals that are typically brought around the country for shows and exhibits.I would be interested to see the method they use to clean and sanitize this facility after such shows. The floor could easily be checked for the presence of dangerous pathogens and microorganisms with some random swab tests around the floor surface. What something like that would cost I'm not exactly sure. But I would think that anytime you would be putting mats directly on the surface that livestock has recently used it would be mandated like the increased water sample tests in the Arkansas river just before Riverfest.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: southkscatfan] #120053 02/20/08 03:12 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
do they sanatize the pigs that those very same kids try to catch in a greased pig contest. do they santize those sheep that those kids do the mutton bustin with. we are around this all the time but I do not ever think I have ever seen anything come out of this. if you feel that you might catch something watch who you sleep with and dont bring your kid is all i can say.

Scott Bockover
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: bockman] #120063 02/20/08 04:03 AM
T
tbau Offline
T
I have been to this tournament several times. The facility is horrible, It's a cold horse barn. The last time we went they had an eighty year old cross eyed referee, The only thing he could see was his own nose. We haven't been back for three years and will never return.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: tbau] #120090 02/20/08 01:36 PM
G
gymmom Offline
G
That is one of the meanest things I've ever seen on this forum! That referee probably reads this. I've been watching him for 7 years now and I will say that does a good job! He's got more experience and knowledge than all of them combined. He is certainly better than the younger ref with 20/20 vision that we got in Salina! Keep your mean comments to yourself!

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: gymmom] #120091 02/20/08 01:47 PM
T
TFuller Offline
T
I would suggest putting this one to rest and call out Jamie and Adam from mythbusters. They surely can test the floor for bacteria and see what is truly coming out of the animals read end. It is worth a shot.
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: TFuller] #120113 02/20/08 03:25 PM
windjammer Offline
While entertaining, El Duque is not the problem with the barn in my opinion.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: TFuller] #120115 02/20/08 03:32 PM
J
Jeff Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Given the number of post and views in less than a week it is obvious that this is an important issue to many. Hopefully if nothing else, the WGSC will recognize that and I would strongly encourage them to be more open and communicate proactively with the wrestling community.

I think it is also safe to say that everyone would like, as safe and enjoyable experience as possible at this event. I like the comment previously made, sometimes you have to listen to the customer! As I have tried to communicate, I am only interested in making this tourney something Kansas can be proud of. It is not to bash any of the clubs that volunteer or organize it.

Given the time of the year there are a few things to consider. Foremost it is critical that extra efforts are taken to ensure the safety of our kids. Any skin disease or mild injury a month into the season is not that big of a deal, a week before subs could be season ending. Why not go the extra mile? Secondly, considering that a lot of the other state’s wrestling seasons have wrapped up, offers a great opportunity to attract even more out of state competition to a 1st class tourney. In my mind that is one reason the competition is so good at the classic, just imagine what it would be if it was held in a well respected venue?

I always feel it is important if you have concerns or constructive criticism that you also help find a solution. Hopefully my comments below will prove that.
This morning I had a great (educational) phone conversation with Paul Gilbert, President of Resilite Sport Products Inc. Paul also serves as Sub-Committee Chair for American Society of Testing and Materials International (ASTMI). ASTM set the standards for all sorts of products in varying industries including the manufacturing of wrestling mats (for reference Google ASTM 1081-97 “Standard Specification for Competition Wrestling Mats”). Paul shared several things worthy of sharing here to help educate everyone reading this. Interesting, according to Paul a cold surface does not adversely change the qualities of the mat. In fact, an excessive hot environment will have more of a negative effect on the mat’s shock-absorbing properties than a cold environment. He also advised that mats can last as long as 25 years and still be safe. Although there are specific test that can be performed to assure the safeness (F 355-01 “Standard Test Method for Shock-absorbing Properties of Playing Surface Systems and Materials) of the mats it would not be feasible to conduct these on site. However Paul recommended that there are still things that can help ensure the safety of the wrestlers. First, although the thickness of the mat can lead to misconceptions of its safety, he recommends a minimum of 1 in. It should be easy enough for the organizers to get confirmation from whoever is lending the mats that they meet ASTM specs. Along with a visual inspection looking for compressed areas that don’t meet the 1inch criteria or any obvious flaws and communicating these steps have been done would hopefully calm some of the concerns. I will be honest some of the finding surprised me but am happy to share the results.

Secondly, it is again important to understand what measures are being put in place to protect those attending. As indicated in a previous post, Via Christi’s Sports Medicine has been and will be on site. Along with EMS, I think this is great, however with the exception of the prescreen for skin disorders Via Christi performs it is important to understand that their roles are reactive in nature and not proactive. It is not their role to determine the safeness of the venue only to attend to those that are injured (reactive). Considering that prevention is the best way to eliminate injury or health issues, it would be nice to know what measures are being taken to again ensure the safety of those attending.

Lastly, the issue that the venue is contaminated to an unsafe level –whether it is or isn’t, I do not know with 100% certainty. I do know this though, the perception is there and sometimes perception is reality. I have not visited with the Sedgwick County Health Department or any health agency for that matter but would think if the appropriate tests were performed and they came back clean, it would calm and change the opinions of many.

In conclusion, (finally) are there issues keeping this tourney from being a great tournament? Can those be improved? In my opinion both answers are yes but strongly believe it starts with communication. If we hear nothing we have to make up our own conclusions, right or wrong. I as many have always said this could rival some of the national tourneys especially given the time of the year (other state’s seasons are over). It will however never happen in its current condition.

Good luck to everyone that attends, hope to see you at State.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Jeff Smith] #120118 02/20/08 03:36 PM
windjammer Offline
Although the temperature of the mats may not affect their shock absorbing ability, the temperature of wrestlers wearing singlets is important in their flexibility and shock absorbing ability in my opinion.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: windjammer] #120203 02/20/08 10:33 PM
Cokeley Offline
Have you ever tried to roll up a cold mat? I don't believe Mr. Gilbert. I do agree when exposed to extreme hot they are too soft but when they are cold they are harder. I have my mats up off of the concrete on plastic pallets and they are great when the temperature is 65 to 70 but 55 to 65 they are hard. None of my mats are Resilite so maybe I need to buy one!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Cokeley] #120208 02/20/08 11:02 PM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
Just curious, in all the years of the tournament have there ever been any outbreaks, epidemics or just large number of people complaining of infections or illnesses?

koltons_dad
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: mmeditz] #120209 02/20/08 11:05 PM
B
Brian Hargrove Offline
B
My name is Brian Hargrove and I am Director of Events and Marketing at the Wichita Sports Commission. Myself and Bob Hanson, President & CEO of the Wichita Sports Commission just got off the phone with Jeff Smith and listened to his concerns. We would like to state the following...

#1) - Pavilion II is thoroughly cleaned before the event. Bob and myself each are on hand as the Coliseum staff cleans Pavilion II before the mats are placed in the facility. They use power sweepers and washers, mops, disinfectant and odor control powders.

#2) - The mats used for the event are the same mats used for many other tournaments that your kids may wrestle. We hire eight clubs to assist us in running the tournament and they each provide 1 or 2 mats for the tournament. These clubs are not going to provide "aged mats" that would add risk to kids in this tournament. These clubs that help us each have 50-60 kids wrestling from their own club. Do you really think they are going to give us "aged mats" that could cause harm to their own kids??

#3) - Via Christi Sports Medicine is on site at all times on Friday night during weight ins and Saturday for the entire event. EMS is on hand at all times, also. If there is ever any injury that occurs, we have first class staff on hand to treat injuries.

The reason we put on this event is for the kids. We strive to make this the best, first class event in the state. We take every safety step necessary to make sure that the kids are safe and there are no risks of serious injury. Unfortunately, as is the case in any tournament, injuries happen. They happen in many tournaments that kids wrestles in. It is not because they are wrestling on bad mats or hard floors. It is very similar at many events.

The Sports Commission takes great pride in this tournament and the success that it has had over the past decade. And, we plan on continuing this great tournament for many years to come. We have listened to Jeff's concerns and others and plan on taking safety measures necessary to bring comfort to every parent or coach out there. We know and recognize there are concerns and we plan to address them the best way we can and assure everyone we have the safety of all wrestlers as our number one concern.

We take great pride and make every effort to return all calls and e-mails. If anyone out there has any concerns that they would like to address, please e-mail me at bhargrove@visitwichita.com. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you one on one instead of attacking one another on a message board.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I will see you on March 8.

Brian Hargrove
Director of Events
Wichita Sports Commission

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Jeff Smith] #120230 02/21/08 12:55 AM
CJA Offline
Brian Hargrove Just wondering how much would the entry fees have to be to have it at the coliseum.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Brian Hargrove] #120231 02/21/08 12:57 AM
B
bodhi Offline
B
Brian have you been to Salina's Tournament? That is first class.
My son has been wrestling for 5yrs. never been to your tournament for all the reasons I've herd of, was going to try it this year but having second thoughts. your telling us that between the other 8 clubs involved you cant rent the coliseum for a day..were does all the money go.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: bodhi] #120234 02/21/08 01:08 AM
J
Jeff Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am going to take some time to calm down and will post my thoughts on our conversation tomorrow. I hope to provide additional insight into our phone call at that time.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: bodhi] #120235 02/21/08 01:11 AM
BRING IT ON! Offline
Just put the tournament in the coliseum and make one of the best in the state. Their shouldn't be any profits that doesn't benefit the wrestlers of kansas anyway.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: BRING IT ON!] #120280 02/21/08 03:17 AM
Pelland Offline
I have never been involved in hosting a tournament, so take these numbers w/ a grain of salt. I have to be missing something. Below is just a simple guess? I have no clue.

Wrestlers 1400
Fee $20.00
Total + $28,000.00

Adults 2000
Fee $6.00
Total + $12,000.00

Kids 300
Fee $3.00
Total + $900.00

Officials 25
Fee $175.00
Total - $4,375.00

Colliseum - $15,000.00

Total Income $21,525.00
Clubs 8
Profit / Club $2,690.63

What am I missing besides concession which brings more money to the clubs. I see I'm missing awards. Surely the concession would pay for the awards? I've never been to this tournament, and am guessing on the adults/children attendance, and someone said earlier that this tournament used to have 1400 wrestlers. Are there more officials? Are there less adults?

Couldn't you get more people into the colliseum which would bring more money? Couldn't you get more wrestlers into the colliseum which would bring more money? There has to be a reason why they don't have it at the Colliseum?

Could someone sharper than myself put a pencil to this that knows what it takes to run a tournament. I'm curious how the numbers would look.

Like Mr. Smith said, Wichita could make this a one of a kind tournament in Kansas.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 163 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)