Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: nastyway] #120035 02/20/08 02:24 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: nastyway
yeah but the top wrestlers in 6a and 5a are better than the 4a and 123a besides maybe 135 and i think that could change day to day.

I'll take 5A/6A 135 over 1234A. Napier is #1, but after that it's toss-up.

5A/6A - 135:

Means - 31-2
Nelson - 37-1
Livengood - 26-3
Wagner - 27-2
Crank - 27-5
Hagan - 23-4

321A/4A - 135:

Napier - 33-1
Mumaw - 25-0
Peterson - 20-2
Knapp - 25-4
Bainter - 26-2
Zahorsky - 30-3

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: nastyway] #120042 02/20/08 02:43 AM
G
Gus Offline
G
Mich,

I understand what you are saying. I know that there are some kids out there that make state with a losing record and the light goes off in their head that they want to do everything that they possibly can to get to that awards podium. But as a wrestler and a coach for a number of years, I can safely say that the number of kids who make state with a losing record who could care less and come back the next year just to struggle to qualify for state again outnumber those that do care. I think that State could be bigger and better. I am not sure about 5A because my area of "expertise" is in 6a. But I do know that I have seen way to many qualifiers that got stuck in the first minute of competition at state. As for my kids, I do have a daughter who is less than a year old. And this may be the Marine in me that is coming out, but I never ever want anything handed to my daughter. I want her to earn everything that she ever gets. And when things dont go her way I hope and pray that she gets even more determined. OF course I also realize that I have been a parent for less then a year and will have many many surprises ahead of me

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: Gus] #120045 02/20/08 02:54 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
i saw one bracket in the 5a that had 5 wrestlers. one goes home and 4 go to state. not too hard to make it to state in that one. 10 years down the road. yeah i went to state with a 4-15 record and went 0-2 at state. now those are the memories. i say lets forget the splitting and throw them all in together. its a tough sport and most of them are young men that need to learn a little about toughness. small school, big school who cares. its all about being the best wrestler in the state not in a class with few wrestlers.

Scott Bockover
Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: bockman] #120070 02/20/08 06:58 AM
K
KC Sportsmom Offline
K
I think that there are two main trains of thought with this discussion board and it becomes apparent that there is no perfect solution to please everyone in the qualification system to make it to state and also the location/atmosphere of the championship. I think that I am uniquely qualified as I have experienced it as a parent of both a 2007 & 2008 State Qualifier in both KS & MO. I much prefer the qualification system of KS over that of MO any day. My reasoning is that wrestling's successful achievement is for the wrestler and his/her fond memories that are taken from his/her high school career. The majority of these kids will never wrestle beyond high school. If you don't believe me then go to the NCAA website and pull up the numbers and the odds. Their last memories may end at a gym in their region or possibly at state. All of us parents would prefer the latter. When you have experienced the stress, and I don't use that term lightly, of watching your child who has been a multi-time KS kids state qualifier and one-time state placer struggle for four years to make it out of a talent rich district and only qualify for MO state twice. Then you will realize that pushing for combining this region with that one, etc. doesn't end in a better outcome. The best six will always win and you will continue to give that state championship experience to a few less deserving, but they will also be able to look back fondly and say they've been there. And is that really so horrible? So what if a few think that it makes it less prestigious, I know for a fact that there were MO qualifiers that made it also to state with losing records. Don't you think that the Class 2 western district of MO which includes( Oak Grove, Platte County, etc.) is alot harder than the eastern side of MO where it may be easier to qualify out of? I guarantee that they get weeded out the same way in either state, in the first rounds. The numbers are more favorable in placing at Districts in KS and maybe even slightly more favorable in the bigger schools. However, it certainly can be said that there is an advantage to going to a smaller KS school where there is less competition for a varsity spot and then you are able to compete at the varsity level at an earlier and longer time frame than at a 5A school that has 50+ wrestlers competing for 14 Varsity spots. Some big school's JV is equally competitive as some smaller school's Varsity roster. Some smaller communities treat their wrestlers like celebrities, not so in urban areas where other sports compete for very limited media. Is there really an advantage to being 25-5 vs. 35-10, who's your competition, where do you compete? As a wrestler isn't it all about mat time and the overall wrestling experience because four years goes by so fast. These questions arise in every state, not just KS.
As for the atmosphere, you can't beat the excitement of a MO type state championship over the divisive, scattered KS championships. However, the event is longer at Mizzou, three days rather than the two and is slightly costlier. KS is missing the boat on this one, however, KS is a larger geographic state and there is more resentment between the regions. You know the biases east vs. west, urban KC vs Wichita area, SW vs. SE, etc. There is no one place that would please everyone, period.
In conclusion, I have heard complaints from both sides of the state line for many years and hear finger pointing as to what's easier in my own house frequently. I think the qualification system is flawed, but reasonable in KS, and my preference. No sooner would you change it and a whole new set of complaints would flair. And as a spectator or possibly a college coach MO is right on with this one.

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: Falcon Grappler] #120074 02/20/08 11:53 AM
C
Coach Hibler Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I know Roy has wanted this system for several years now, but it was not on the suggestion list at the regional tournaments. We had to write it in. So I wondered if we got more peopel exposed, who would contact, email, call, the state then maybe they would listen.

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: Devast8r] #120075 02/20/08 11:56 AM
C
Coach Hibler Offline OP
OP Offline
C
In response to your question: I have the brackets from Seaman and at 112, 119, 140, 145, HWT and one more weight guys made it in without having to win. I am not placing the blame on the Regional manager, just using it as an example of why the state needs to switch to 2 regionals. Then the 3 or 4 that entered in the Seaman regional could merge with the 7 or 8 from another regional and it would give a 12 man bracket.

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: Coach Hibler] #120096 02/20/08 02:15 PM
B
bigblueballs Offline
B
you have to at least win a match to get to state, cmon. There is something wrong with the system if someone can go to the ULTIMATE of high school wrestling without even winning a match. That doesnt happen in any other sport, unless i am leaving something out, someone tell me if i am wrong.

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: bigblueballs] #120251 02/21/08 01:56 AM
Devast8r Offline
All this moaning and complaining about losing records going to state. Boo hoo hoo! Are you all just crying because you didn't make it when you wrestled? Living vicariously through your kids on the team? Maybe your kid lost to a kid with a losing record at Regionals, and now you are crying "It's not fair!" That fact is, and always will be this: You toe the line and wrestle the person who lines up against you. ANYONE can lose the match, that is why they wrestle. So what if they have losing records! I've seen some kids with "winning" records because they go to the easiest tournaments possible, and I don't hear anyone moaning about them! Step up, put up, or shut up! Just wrestle the matches, and the best ones, winning records or not, are the ones who place at state. They wrestled. They had heart, desire, and a no quit attitude, and they fought their way to state and wrestled. Quit your belly-aching!

On another note, try to prevent the byes at a regional by spreading the competition out a little more. Why do the KC schools (which almost never have full teams) always get paired up with the Topeka schools? Why is there always a tough regional (Valley Center this year) and a weak regional (Seaman). Why not split up the Wichita, KC, and Topeka schools a little more evenly? Each Regional should have at least 1 of each of the 3 schools. Forget travel distance and don't put all the "good" wrestlers in 1 group. Share the love, man!

"Praise the Lord, my Rock. He trains my hands 4 war & gives my fingers skill 4 battle."-Ps.144:1
Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: Devast8r] #120252 02/21/08 02:02 AM
M
mich Offline
M
I could not agree more devast8or

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: mich] #120255 02/21/08 02:10 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Devast8r,

They are not complaining about losing records at State because their kid missed qualifying. They are saying it's too easy to make State. Just the opposite of the point in your post.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: 5A-6A need 2 Regionals [Re: Chief Renegade] #120274 02/21/08 03:08 AM
S
sweeper16 Offline
S
Devasta8r - (Guessing your kid is going to state with a losing record?) I agree, step up, put up, shut up. Now since we agree, lets do it with the best competition format possible for the 6A school. And also, you cant "boo hoo hoo" someone, acuse them of living thru their kid, tell them to quit belly aching, and in the next breath be crying about the regionals not being fair and that your kids was too hard compared to the others.
Your post contradicts what their point was to start with, and then you contradict your own complaint.

go hard or GO HOME!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)