Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins #120201 02/20/08 10:18 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
First off just let me say this is not to bash what Winfield was trying. Now, with that said, Didn't there use to be only a Saturday Morning Weigh In? I remember leaving a 5:00 am to go to Enid, Blackwell, Perry, and many other tournaments. We weighed in, went and ate breakfast, and were wrestling by 9:00 am. Why could it happen, going to age myself, 22 years ago but not now? Do you really need to know who your kid is wrestling the night before? I personally have not gone to a Friday weigh-in all year, unless we were spending the night. It encourages kids to cut weight, which I know is a necessary evil, but they'll cut more if they have all night to put it back on. Personally I can't justify making 2 trips with the price of gas. Any and all thoughts are welcomed.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: Beeson] #120211 02/20/08 11:07 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Friday night weigh-ins started about 20 years ago with a limited number of clubs using them. The purpose of Friday weigh-ins was the same as it is now, it allows some of the mistakes in entries or bracketing to be caught earlier and be corrected. Plus, the host clubs typically have people working Friday night setting up, and it lessoned the wait for those weighing in Saturday morning. With the invention of split tournaments the benefit of a Friday weigh-in is probably less.

Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: Beeson] #120212 02/20/08 11:12 PM
Pingleton_Oz Offline
I think both should be offered as an option. We have a fairly large family, and I try my hardest to be places by start of weigh ins, if not before. so a)if they don't make weight they typically have an hour or more to run it off. B) we can get first pick of seats. okay, so most of it has to do with seating, Brock's back is falling apart so we always show early to get that front row spot. and PLEASE! do we really need people getting rude about this stuff? yes, I know we were all matside for a match, but you're sitting on OUR coats. you're sitting right over MY son who's napping between the benches. all we ask for is when we're ready to return, we can sit down.

Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: sportsfan02] #120213 02/20/08 11:18 PM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
I just sat beside a scale for 2hrs the night before our tourn here in Topeka and again for 2 1/2hrs the day of. From that side it was helpful with the number of entries, but then the weather hit us late Fri and Sat morning and alot of our night before weigh-ins scratched. Double edged sword in that respect I guess.

koltons_dad
Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: mmeditz] #120281 02/21/08 03:21 AM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
Why not eliminate pre-registration? That way you sign up at the event, weigh-in and 2 hours later you start wrestling? Seems with Trackwrestling over the last few months that is that has been happening anyway with the problems of scratching before a tournament. End registration and weigh-ins at 8:00 am and plug all the names into the system with random draw and be ready to wrestle by 10:00. Sounds like an easy fix to me.

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: Crash99] #120291 02/21/08 03:59 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
with me being older than beeson which should make him feel better lol. I can remember way back when we traveled to Carl Junction with a new head coach from Oklahoma. We weighed in that morning before school. Made the trip to Carl Junction only to find out that in Missouri you weigh in on site. All of us were over weight except guess who, yep the heavy weight. Maybe thats the correct weigh of doing it like beeson said.

Scott Bockover
Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: bockman] #120309 02/21/08 11:43 AM
J
jkeplar Offline
J
Good Call Crash 99 In freestyle and greco we have done it for years, the only problem would be controlling the numbers of entries, I just dont see the point of a growing 8 year old sending what his parents,( who probly never wrestled in the first place) think he is going to weight in two is helping in any way

Jake Keplar
Circle wrestling

Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: Crash99] #120315 02/21/08 12:31 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
 Originally Posted By: Crash99
Why not eliminate pre-registration? That way you sign up at the event, weigh-in and 2 hours later you start wrestling? Seems with Trackwrestling over the last few months that is that has been happening anyway with the problems of scratching before a tournament. End registration and weigh-ins at 8:00 am and plug all the names into the system with random draw and be ready to wrestle by 10:00. Sounds like an easy fix to me.

You still have to have some type of pre-registration in order for the host to know how many officials to hire, mats needed or if they even have enough entries to have a tournament. I have given this some thought the past few months and the way I think it will evolve is each club will send in a request for the host to hold so many entries at each age group along with a check. Then the morning of the tournament the names and weights of those entries will be loaded into the system following weigh-in just like you propose.

Re: Saturday Morning Weigh-Ins [Re: sportsfan02] #120321 02/21/08 01:45 PM
Owlbacker Offline
I actually love the Saturday morning weigh in. We have 7 kids that play a variety of sports. There is one night a week that we dont have a practice of some sort. So bright and early every saturday we get up and hop in the car for a nice little drive. We usually are one of the first to weigh in at every tournament. So that affords us about the only quality time we have all week. We all sit down for a family breakfast and get to spend about an hour just talking. We have tried the friday night weigh in a couple of times and it just doesn't have that familiar feeling. The three boys that wrestle would proably rather sleep, the other kids that arent wrestling would probably rather sleep, and I assure you that my wife would rather sleep in. But for my own selfish reasons I will continue to wake them before the chickens and use that little window between weigh ins and the start of the tournament to look around the breakfast table for a few more years and enjoy the family before they are all off doing thier own thing.

Paul McPhillips

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)