Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Upsets??? [Re: usawks1] #120902 02/24/08 01:46 AM
S
SFoster Offline
S
I think that Henes over Isenberg is a pretty big upset.

Re: Upsets??? [Re: SFoster] #120905 02/24/08 01:55 AM
Wyatt Bechtel Offline
Kyler-Ellsworth beats Palmer-Smith Center in the 215 321A final 3-2 after Palmer beat Racette-Oakley.

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Wyatt Bechtel] #120909 02/24/08 02:02 AM
T
Ty Lowe Offline
T
What were the results of the Isenberg losing to Henes ??

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Ty Lowe] #120910 02/24/08 02:03 AM
R
ravincan Offline
R
5-2

Re: Upsets??? [Re: usawks1] #120959 02/24/08 06:13 AM
V
ValleyCenter02 Offline
V
 Quote:
In response to:
Poster: usawks1
Subject: Re: Upsets???

To the not so casual fan, Pete Tapia over Kyle Detmer is one of the biggest upsets this year!

Mr. USAWKS,

You are right...Detmer was very "upset" after being defeated rather solidly by Tapia 5-0.

The hype of this site about the "untouchables" seems to have gotten to Detmer's head. A couple of wrestlers like Flynn and Tapia however, were not buying it this weekend.

In the Semis, Flynn gave Detmer a run for his money putting Detmer to his back in the second period. Third period, Detmer sat on a 8-6 lead getting two stall warning, giving Flynn 1 point ending the match at 8-7.

The "untouchable", "upset" that his 34 straight pin streak was ended, decided to criticize Flynn for "Stalling and not wrestling" in the Wichita Eagle (See article below). Deter must have forgot he was the wrestler that received the two stall warnings, but he was probably still "upset" and didn't think through his comments before speaking.

Deter also let it be known on the wrestling floor that he was going to pin Tapia in the first period. It was rumored that he may have even made the predication on local T.V.

Pete Tapia, might have learned a thing or two from watching Flynn the day before. 1) The double under hook to a throw and the front quarter half to a pancake muscle move only works if you muscle back), and 2). Detmer is far from untouchable.

During the announcement for the finals, Detmer continued his self-aggrandizing as he stood in just his singlet and a “karate-kid” bandana flexing. (The 10 min flex show could have been his downfall by the way…lot of energy expended.)

The whistle blew, and the battle began. Detmer like a bull charge, Tapia backed. No he circled, and countered. Back and forth they went for the first period. Tapia escapes in the second, the crowd is getting into it. Tapia scores, the crowd is now really excited.

Third period, a look of desperation now falls on the face of the once cocky wrester. Detmer goes for his double unders, but Tapia passed him and takes him down (5-0). The crowd now on their feet (except for the "untouchable" fans) as Tapia rides out the last view seconds.

The match ends as Tapia holds up a single one finger.

The only upset here was Determs feelings. Folks that don't respect their opponents will fall to guys like Tapia. To the fans that spend more time reading this talk form and actually watching studs like Flynn and Tapia battle, will always be surprised when they come out on top.

Wichita Eagle

-------------------
Carroll's huge lead looks tough to beat
Dylan Penka's 103-pound semifinal win starts run of six Eagles in finals.
BY JEFFREY LUTZ
The Wichita Eagle

G. Marc Benavidez/The Wichita Ea
Bishop Carroll wrestler Kyle Detmer, top, gets a hold on Lansing wrestler,Nick Flynn during their 152 weight class match at the 78th Annual KSHSAA 5A Wrestling State Championship in Hutchinson, Kan. Detmer defeated Flynn.
Class 5A wrestling results
HUTCHINSON - What has seemed inevitable since the start of the wrestling season appears only hours away from happening.

Bishop Carroll, nationally ranked and undefeated in tournaments and duals this season, looks as if it will keep its streak going in the most important tournament yet.

The Golden Eagles hold a commanding lead over Arkansas City after the first day of the Class 5A tournament at Hutchinson High.

Carroll hasn't mathematically wrapped it up, but it's virtually uncatchable. Six Eagles are in tonight's finals.

"It feels incredible," Carroll coach Darian Eshelman said. "It's the first time in my coaching career I've been in a position to win a state championship. It has been a very good season and we've just been very blessed throughout the year."

Eshelman said he felt more nervous this week than the rest of the season because the Eagles were battling injuries and illness, causing him to wonder how his team would perform.

His doubts were washed away, however, in the first semifinal match, when 103-pounder Dylan Penka scored an unlikely victory.

Penka trailed Nick Mancuso of St. Thomas Aquinas 5-0 in the second period. He was being controlled and seemingly headed toward defeat when he scored a two-point reverse then rolled up Mancuso for the win.

When the referee's hand slapped the mat, Eshelman leaped from his chair and raised both arms.

"Dylan's been putting in extra work since about June, just tons and tons of extra workouts," Eshelman said. "So when he pulled that out, I was so happy for him."

Former champions Jordan Keller (119 pounds), John Keller (125) and two-time champ Mitch Arnold (145) had easy paths to the finals.

Tyler Rosenhamer (160) scored a 2-1 semifinal victory over Arkansas City's Cameron Riojas, while 152-pounder Kyle Detmer, a defending champion, was tested for the first time this season.

Detmer had pinned his previous 34 opponents, including his first two on Friday. But after going ahead 6-1 on Lansing's Nick Flynn, Detmer's opponent in last year's 145-pound championship, Detmer was nearly pinned before pulling out an 8-7 win.

"I knew he was going to stall the whole time and not wrestle, and that's what he pretty much did," Detmer said. "That's what he did last year in the finals, just a defensive match trying not to get pinned."

Detmer's coach saw it differently.

"He really wanted to make it through the whole year pinning everybody," Eshelman said of Detmer. "In that match he kept doing things that were more dangerous to try and get to the pin.

"But (Flynn) was up to the challenge. He was on fire, he was coming after us. He was wrestling a great match. Those things put together caused it to be a very big scare to us."

• Valley Center had four wrestlers reach the semifinals and three advanced -- sophomores Chase Nitcher (119) and Cade Blair (135) and senior Seth Mertins (130).

Hornets coach Brian Shelton saw it as a pleasant surprise to put three in the finals.

"I think Chase and Seth, we had a good idea they'd at least be in the semis," Shelton said. "Cade Blair, he really had three upsets. But the goal (tomorrow) is to go out and win."

• Arkansas City's Trison Graham and Hutchinson's Romero Cotton, each aiming for fourth consecutive titles, got through Friday unscathed.

Graham scored two pins at 130 pounds before pulling out an 11-2 decision over Carroll's Jake Mainz in the semis.

Graham wrestled with an elaborate facemask after taking an inadvertent headbutt in practice last week. The stitches he received above his left eye fell out.

"You can get a little meaner with it because they can't touch your face," Graham said. "But it impairs your vision and puts a lot of extra weight on your head and it's just awkward."

Cotton, a 189-pounder, also had pins in his first two matches, then beat Jerry Cox of Kansas City Sumner 19-7. Cotton is vying to become the first Kansas athlete to win four football and wrestling state titles.

"The first two guys didn't really come out and try to wrestle," Cotton said. "(Cox) didn't either, he just wanted to see how close he could get it."

• Kapaun Mount Carmel advanced four into the semifinals, but only 135-pounder Joe Hagan reached the finals. He faces Blair in today's championship.

Re: Upsets??? [Re: ValleyCenter02] #120961 02/24/08 06:32 AM
Jordan Keller Offline
i would just like to say that first of all Tapia had a heck of a match. However, "ValleyCenter02", noticing that this is your first post and you decided to bash Kyle Detmer, it shows how much class you have and in case you don't know..i'll tell you NONE! I think you should think before you write on this forum. If anything this match shows that anyone can be beat at any time and that NO ONE is untouchable..not even you even though you think your better than the "once cocky" wrestler! Congratulations to Tapia and I know that Kyle will bounce back from this loss and come back stronger than ever next year and prove you and everyone else wrong that he is indeed the best wrestler in the state and in the country. My brother bounced back from his disappointment last year to prove many people wrong who thought he would be lucky to place in state because he bumped up from 103 to 125. Not only did he win state, but he went UNDEFEATED and dominated all year long. I guaruntee you that kyle will do the same next year and he will learn from this just as john did. So if you could quit bashing wrestlers that would dominate you on any given day everyone would appreciate it. Oh and if your gonna keep bashing others dont be afraid to put your real name down! Again congrats to Tapia and Kyle on a great year

Jordan Keller
"Attitude is EVERYTHING"
Re: Upsets??? [Re: Jordan Keller] #120965 02/24/08 01:16 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Very well said Mr. Keller. I agree.

Remember, Gable lost his last college match (trying for an undefeated carreer that stretched back to HS!). Yet, came back and DOMINATED the Olympics.

Could you please tell me more about Mr. Detmer and his accomplishments? Living in JC, I don't get to see all that AWESOME quality in the Wichita area much. However, i did go to the Derby FINALS this year and found that to be quite an enjoyable and impressive time!

Congrads to you and your brother and your whole team!

DEAN WELSH (hahahaha)

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Upsets??? [Re: Dean Welsh] #120974 02/24/08 02:41 PM
S
Shark16 Offline
S
Jordan,
First, congrats to you and your brother and teammates for a tremendous season. I would like to point out (and if you take a moment and try to look at Mr. Detmer from the perspective of a non-Carroll wrestler, maybe you will understand) that ValleyCenter02's comments don't seem to be any attempt to discredit the fact that Mr. Detmer is an outstanding wrestler. His comments say more about the way Mr. Detmer doesn't seem to respect the people he wrestles. Either his inability to admit that he was outworked and taken to the limit in his semifinal match (he accused his opponent of stalling when it was Mr. Detmer who stalled to save his season), and then (apparently) publicly predicting victory by pin in the finals are prime examples of showing no respect to his opponents.
I have not seen you or your brother behave this way, and I am glad about that. I also have not seen Mitch Arnold do this. And I certainly do not hear your coach make comments like that. You guys, and most wrestlers I believe, understand that it is important to respect who you wrestle in the same way that you respect the mat. Hopefully your teammate will follow your example.

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Shark16] #120977 02/24/08 02:58 PM
N
nastyway Offline
N
Yeah if tapia handled him with a shutout i dought he's natiional caliber ole detmer better not wrestle like that at senior nationals next year a lot of stud wrestlers from kansas go there and come back with the realization that your not in kansas anymore and him being nationaly ranked is ludicris so you beat flyn and your ranked and keller your talking about detmer dominating people didn't look like he dominated at state tourny.on friday or saturday ha i always like to see someone like that get spanked

the nasty way is the best way
Re: Upsets??? [Re: bigblueballs] #120988 02/24/08 04:04 PM
T
tksnkc Offline
T
As far as Spring Hill 140 kid hearing a wrong whistle, incorrect. He was holding onto a single and decided just to give up the reversal and Whitley didnt spin behind but back stepped got his escape and then hopped over and got two as Naylor laid there in shock of what just happened. You can call it luck or biggest mental mistake of not wrestling it out. Naylor did come out and pound the next two kids for third, definitely showing some heart afte having such a devistating loss that most would have just not came back from. Solid comeback..

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Jordan Keller] #121017 02/24/08 06:33 PM
O
olderigetbetteriwas Offline
O
Jordan
This little comment in the Eagle today makes me question your respect level.
"I really don't like it when people don't go out there and wrestle me," Jordan said. "What's the point of being in the state finals if you're not going to go out there and go after your opponent?

"To me, it seemed like he just wanted to wrestle a close match. That's a good move on his part, but you've got to score points to win."

Chase Nitcher is a sophomore who just finished his season with a 42-3 record and a second place finish at state. Hey kiddo, the only way to wrestle you is to try and keep it close and look for a miniscule window of opportunity to score. You're too technically sound and physically strong to compete with using reckless abandon. Your comment toward your opponent is less than respectful and brings you down a bit.

Congratulations to you and your whole team on the successes you have achieved. Good luck next year at Cleveland State.

Re: Upsets??? [Re: tksnkc] #121032 02/24/08 08:10 PM
E
esj Offline
E
Tapia wrestled a heck of a match,Detmer is one of the best in the state and was on quite a roll.I think both have the skills to continue wrestling at the next level,I did however question Bishop Carrols preparation for matches all day.They were impressive physique wise wearing only singletts in a cool gym, but I would think warming up and keeping sweats on until match time might help a competitor be ready to go "on the whistle".Carrols success all year indicates they know how to win,and how prepare.Just seems to me breaking a sweat and staying warm in any combat sport helps ready the competitor,and avoids injury.I'm not implying that had anything to do with the outcome of the match just seemed odd to me.

Re: Upsets??? [Re: esj] #121036 02/24/08 08:35 PM
D Petrie119 Offline
James Wauer- losing first round to mario corado is a small upset
alan callahan- losing to dwyer and eck
slyter- losing to sparr and weller

Last edited by D Petrie119; 02/24/08 08:36 PM.
Re: Upsets??? [Re: D Petrie119] #121039 02/24/08 08:49 PM
Scarecrow_103 Offline
4 kids who didnt even place:
Chaz Lawrence
Aaron Patton
Alan Calahan
Colby Crank

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Scarecrow_103] #121044 02/24/08 09:10 PM
state placer Offline
i would have to say eck over callahan and whitely over naylor might two of the biggest in 4A

Improve Today
Re: Upsets??? [Re: state placer] #121045 02/24/08 09:22 PM
D
Disney Offline
D
Kyle Detmer is a great kid and if anyone questions his sportsmanship just watch his reaction when he lost. No emotion, no slamming his fist -- just shook hands and that was it. As far as the sweats .... Remember the guys are in high school. They came out as a team w/ headbands. Whatever it took away from being warm it made up for in motivation. I think there was plenty of time to get warmed up - almost an hour - before the match.

I don't think you can get a complete picture by comments in the paper. Most of these guys aren't used to being interviewed. I am sure they are just trying to think of responses to the questions. Probably if you talked to them in person you would come away w/ a different point of view. I have been quoted often in the paper and usually it isn't quite accurate.

And Jordan Keller is a class act. How many kids get on here and actually put there names? When I heard Jordan was a 4.0 and then see how articulate his posts were I wonder if we are listening to a future president?

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Disney] #121051 02/24/08 09:56 PM
S
Shark16 Offline
S
Disney,
Glad you mentioned GPA's being mentioned. It was quite impressive during the introductions of the finalists to hear that included. A great reminder of the quality of STUDENT-athletes we had the privilege of watching compete this weekend.
Kudos to Jordan and many of the others who commit as much to their studies as they do to the mat. A great example for the up-and-coming wrestlers who look up to these guys!

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Shark16] #121073 02/24/08 10:45 PM
Scarecrow_103 Offline
dwyer over callahan
jesseph over noblett
Sparr over Sharky... I said not to under estimate him, but i wasnt thinking that highly of him.
Hackathorn made a run through the heavys... Is that perry's first state champ?
I used to watch him all the time. That is awesome

Re: Upsets??? [Re: Scarecrow_103] #121078 02/24/08 11:12 PM
Coach Brown Offline
Jordan Meyer showed alot of heart out at Hays by coming back from a quarter-finals loss, battling back from sickness and some mental hick-ups to place third. Avenging that loss for the third place.

He showed me that his desire and heart was larger then I expected. It was an honor to be his coach!

Coach Brown

Jason C. Brown
Head Coach Anderson County JR/SR High
jbrown@usd365.org
Re: Upsets??? [Re: Scarecrow_103] #121082 02/24/08 11:28 PM
chewie Offline
 Originally Posted By: Scarecrow_103

Hackathorn made a run through the heavys... Is that perry's first state champ?
I used to watch him all the time. That is awesome

2000 - (4A) Corcoran, Joe [Perry Lecompton] (160 lb. dec. 14-4)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 149 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)