Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Proper Singlet for Folkstyle competition #123385 03/08/08 03:53 PM
W
wrstlmom1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I am a mother of 3 Kansas kid wrestlers. Two wear traditional folkstyle singlet, 1 has a freestyle singlet that was purchased at Kids State in Topeka last year. He wore it last year for Kids state competition. He has worn it this season for a tournament. He went to a second tournament today that informed us that he could not wear that singlet. It was too low cut was the excuse, but they could not or would not inform us just where not too low would be. We were also told that he would not be able to wear it at the rest of the competitions since subs starts next week. I cannot find in any of the Rules that are posted, just exactly where the singlet has to fit him to be regulation. He is a 6'2", 8th grader wrestling 175. We need assistance in this so we can make sure he is legal for the rest of competition this season. We were also told that freestyle singlets were not going to be allowed at all this year for the subs, districts and state competitions. Is this true? We were told to look at the rule book--can't find anything in there where it says what kind of singlet you have to wear for these competitions. I did find where it says that the appropriateness of the singlet is at the discretion of the referee. HELP--don't want the son left out in the cold because of a rule I can't seem to find.

Confused in Kansas

Sandra Hayes

Wrestle your hardest and leave it all on the mat everytime.
Re: Proper Singlet for Folkstyle competition [Re: wrstlmom1970] #123388 03/08/08 04:57 PM
W
wrstlmom1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
DISREGARD--WE HAVE CLARIFICATION FROM THE HEAD REF THAT ALL SINGLETS ARE ALLOWED AT THE TOURNAMENT AND THE REST OF THE SEASON. IT IS A DECISION FROM 2005--HEAD REF TOOK THE TIME TO MAKE THE APPROPRIATE CALLS TO GET THE ANSWERS. THANK YOU.

Sandra Hayes

Re: Proper Singlet for Folkstyle competition [Re: wrstlmom1970] #123528 03/10/08 12:09 AM
G
GPWC1 Offline
G
Can two piece singlets be worn at all tournaments?

Joe Gassmann
Re: Proper Singlet for Folkstyle competition [Re: GPWC1] #123531 03/10/08 12:14 AM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
I was told that the shorts and tops singlets were not allowed in kansas. I was looking into one for my son at a tourn. in the singlet cataloge and the vendor told me they aren't allowed in kansas. that's the only thing i have heard on the subject.

koltons_dad
Re: Proper Singlet for Folkstyle competition [Re: mmeditz] #123552 03/10/08 02:59 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
wrstlmom1970, mmeditz

NFHS rule 4-1-1 deals with the rules regarding singlets. In essence it states that a singlet may be cut no lower in the front or back than the level of the armpits. And cut under the arms(the side of the wrestler) may be cut no lower than 1/2 the distance between the armpit and the belt line.

HOWEVER ... USAWKS Rules Modifications (which superceed NFHS rules) 4-1-1 states that "The legality of the uniform will be up to the referee, and need not conform to the NFHSA rule." The way I interpret this is that the head official of a tournament can make a determination as to whether these types of singlets are allowed or not. I would assume if it became an issue that official would ask the tournament director if he wanted to allow them or not. Personally I prefer that wrestlers at kids tournament conform as closely to the NFHS rules as possible. However because this kids modification exist there is the possibility that you will see a kid wrestling who is not wearing the "traditional" type of singlet. I have seen at some novice tournaments this year where a kid is wearing tight fitting shorts and a t-shirt.

The main thing the official should be concerned about is the safety of both wrestlers. Are these freestyle type singlets any more dangerous than the tradition one piece? Well I can't say for certain scientifically, but the fact that they are used in freestyle and internationally suggests that they don't pose any more significant risk than their counterpart.

So in conclusion the simple answer to your question is... Yes these singlets CAN be legal at kids tournaments, but that doesn't mean they will be in every case. It would be in your best interest if you are considering wearing one to bring both types with you to a tournament and speak with the head official and the tournament director as to whether you can wear them that day or not. They will make a determination at that time and you will have to go with that decision. Hope this clears that up.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Proper Singlet for Folkstyle competition [Re: Nigel Isom] #123602 03/10/08 03:26 PM
W
wrstlmom1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thank you for your useful information Mr. Isom. Very much appreciated, and we have already taken care of the situation exactly in the manner you have suggested.

Sandra Hayes

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 107 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)