Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
“Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! #123433 03/09/08 02:03 PM
J
Jason McComb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
“Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! I would like to thank everybody involved in organizing the “Wichita Classic”. I have been a fan of this tournament for years and this was another great year.

I just wanted to show my appreciation for another great Saturday at the “Wichita Classic”. I do always go home exhausted after watching so many great matches and all the excitement of this great tournament.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: Jason McComb] #123443 03/09/08 02:49 PM
E
effwhyeye Offline
E
Does anyone know who Shilo Shaake lost to that knocked him out of the top 4 @ 10 Under 76?

Last edited by effwhyeye; 03/09/08 04:55 PM.
Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: effwhyeye] #123447 03/09/08 03:53 PM
B
Bad MaamaJamma Offline
B
i agree this tournament was ran better this year the finals parade was alot better than last year but this tourney did have one problem and thats stopping in the middle of the finals matches this could and may have cost a kid from winning

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: Bad MaamaJamma] #123456 03/09/08 05:40 PM
hpechic Offline
We had a great time at the Classic yesterday, some really exciting matches, I can't think of a better way to get the kids prepared for State and give them a good idea of what is out there, and who they may see. Thank you to all of the Classic coordinators for another great year of wrestling.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: hpechic] #123483 03/09/08 09:22 PM
J
jafo14 Offline
J
very good tourney, but you CAN'T stop the finals in the middle of a match!!!!!

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: jafo14] #123488 03/09/08 09:43 PM
T
twisted sister Offline
T
I thought it was great!
There is alot of negative talk about the classic. I really can not understand it. We know that when we get there we are going to have some great matches and see some real talent.
Keep it up Wichita! Don't let all the negative talk stop you from doing it again.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: twisted sister] #123536 03/10/08 12:55 AM
B
Bad MaamaJamma Offline
B
this is not negative talk it is simply facts

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: Bad MaamaJamma] #123545 03/10/08 01:24 AM
4boysraslin Offline
I agree with most of everything posted here with a few exceptions.
1. Something needs to be done about how the kids are seeded, too many matches that should have been finals matches were wrestled early in the bracket. (for example: 10 & under 70 pounds we had 2 great wrestlers wrestling in the semifinals, Trevor Smith and Dakota Rodd who should not have met until the finals and Trevor ended up wrestling in the finals against an although good wrestler not nearly the competition he saw with Dakota, and Dakota did not have the chance to take 2nd which I believe he deserved). There were others that turned out the same way.
2. The restroom and concession lines were ridiculous. (not to mention the prices were ridiculous, why do you think everyone was going to Mcdonalds and pirating food in)

Over all a great tournament with great competition. See you next year.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: 4boysraslin] #123546 03/10/08 01:40 AM
R
redroof Offline
R
What about the officatiang at the Classic?

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: Jason McComb] #123550 03/10/08 02:37 AM
S
soonerdad Offline
S
I would like to know why wrestlers that didn't make weight were allowed to move to the next weight bracket at weigh ins. I thought no changes were allowed after the deadline. So much for working to keep your weight down. My son came in 7 lbs under I bet they wouldn't have let him drop a weight..

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: soonerdad] #123568 03/10/08 12:18 PM
J
jafo14 Offline
J
i thought some of the officials were horrible. does anyone know why a ref got kicked out. i'm not sure what happened there, but was told by a sheriff patrol that this happened.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: jafo14] #123586 03/10/08 02:23 PM
W
wrestling dad 4 Offline
W
Soda $3.50, hotdog $3.00, Pizza $5.00, Dippen Dots $6.00, Gate Fee $7.00, Seeding the brackets, long lines to one bathroom, stop the finals matches, ringworm, Parking by water tower, Hotel cost, $20.00 entry fee, and the always great smell of the HORSES. If parents are spending that kind of money for this event It's time to move to the BIG HOUSE next to the BARN. Chairs with backs, No Horse SMELL, No Ringworm. It's bad because as wrestler you can find out were you're at for state. My sons bracket his first match he wrestled a young man he had wrestled SIX TIMES this season and is less then 5 minutes from were we live. When you drive three hours and the young man you wrestle you have beat six times it not fair to you or the other wrestler. The top side of the bracket had all wichita kids and only one placed not one out the back. Why do we send in info for seeding if you can't pay .25 cents for track wrestling to make your barckets and seed your event. My sons have been to this event for the last 12 years we go because we want wrestle the best but I'm sorry to say we won't comeback. I wish it could be ran like Tulsa Nationals or Cliff King. I don't mind the cost if it's worth it.

Last edited by usawks1; 03/10/08 04:09 PM. Reason: spe**ing
Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: wrestling dad 4] #123592 03/10/08 02:49 PM
A
aj75 Offline
A
We have been to this tournament for the last 6 years and my son has NEVER gotton ringworm from this tournament! This is one of the best ran tournaments we ever go to! Yes the price for food is crazy, but we always go to spangles and save money, or we bring stuff for sandwiches and snacks! We never buy anything from the concessions stands! It's not the wrestling clubs fault for high prices for concessions also they're not the ones who charge a $6.00 gate fee! This part is the colesium doing it's their prices not the clubs! We will continue to go to this tournament due to the very tough competition they have! This gets him more than ready for districts!

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: aj75] #123595 03/10/08 03:06 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
If you saw evidence of ringworm, you should have gotten with the head official. Via Christi did the skin checks, so call them with questions.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: doug747] #123650 03/10/08 05:46 PM
M
mbmom Offline
M
I HATED the classic. I saw a lot of bad officating that favored Wichita teams, but I guess that is what you get when you go to a tournament like that. Home team advantage!

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: soonerdad] #123654 03/10/08 06:01 PM
B
birddog Offline
B
I am a mother of a wrestler and don't attend many of the tournaments. When I went this weekend to see my son wrestle at one of the bigger tournaments held here in Kansas I was a bit shocked at the venue you had chosen to host this event. As I said I don't attend all of the tournaments but the ones I have gone to were enjoyble to watch.
According to my husband the preparation and scheduling of the matches seemed fairly well done and the competition was of good caliber, but I must say the venue was lacking!
We sat down on the floor to eat lunch as there was not enough tables to eat at and I could smell horse urine on my hands when I got up. As a family that has managed large animal operations, I know that it could have been more throughly sanitized and had a cleaner smell. Several disenfectants could have been used that would have eliminated the odor and any other harmful pathogens.
The restroom facilities were not adequate for the amount of people!
When I come to see wrestling matches it is very annoying not to be able to see, as people always tend to stand around the mats and block the view of the wrestling but at this venue there were many around me also aggravated that they couldn't see. During finals I did notice that all matches were stopped just to TRY to get people to at least sit near or in the bleachers.(although there was not enough seating and the facilty itself doesn't allow for seating to watch wrestling)
If you compare the venue to the T.O.C. in Salina, or any of the Roller events,the Brute events, USJOC, the Wichita Classic is lacking, and that is mainly because of the venue chosen to hold it in.
And then knowing that right next to the wrestling tournament, a gun show was being held in the Wichita collisium, (I have no problem with gun shows) but yet the kids had to wrestle on a horse barn floor while guns were being layed on tables in a nicer venue. As this is one of the bigger tournaments held in the state of Kansas I would think that it could be made possible to have it held in a venue that not only represents the sport of wrestling but also the State of Kansas in a better light. Until you change the venue, people will not recongnize the Wichita Classic as a higher caliber event but rather consider it just a wrestling tourny that is held in a horse barn.
It makes me think of the new Kansas motto/phrase .........~As BIG as you can think~ I think we CAN think bigger, it wouldn't take much.
Rebecca Schmidt/Chuck's mom

Last edited by birddog; 03/10/08 06:09 PM.
Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: doug747] #123656 03/10/08 06:10 PM
A
aj75 Offline
A
No, that was my point everyone is complaining about ringworm and I was stating that in all years my son has wrestled there he has never gotten ringworm from that tournament! Sorry for the confusion!

Did anyone see what happened on mat 8 when they had to call for security? Just curious!

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: aj75] #123663 03/10/08 06:29 PM
L
lets get it on Offline
L
we have wrestled in the classic ever since it used to be held downtown in the century II civic center. even though it is now held in a horse barn we have never gotten ringworm or any stomach sickness from wrestling there, have noticed the smell but not any worse than the smell of those knee pads, and have always had great competition there. will always wrestle in it even with traveling 6 hours to get there, way over priced food ant the gate admissions are fairly priced compared to other tournaments that you mention.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: lets get it on] #123708 03/10/08 08:40 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I was getting the munchies, so I walked into the concession stand and asked how much the M & Ms were, she said $3.00, and I walked out and said I can't swallow paying that for them, thanks anyway.

Noone is forced to buy anything at the concession stand. Lots of stuff within 5 minutes to run and get something to eat. I had my wife smuggle in a Subway for me.

Re: “Wichita Classic” was AWESOME!!! [Re: lets get it on] #123711 03/10/08 08:45 PM
B
Big Mac Offline
B
I thought the competition was great for my son..Thats why we went to the classic this year for the first time..He did get IMPETIGO sometime during the day on mat #17..We didn't noticed it till saturday night after he showered..We'll deal with it as these things happen..But in the 81 total matches (8hours & we where #81) on his mat, no one ever cleaned the mat..Otherwise it was a great day of wrestling..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 169 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)