Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Luedke] #126329 03/27/08 01:14 AM
J
Jay Offline
J
I have been reading all of the posts on the subject of a coaching change at Fort Hays. I have known Coach Bickley for quite a few years, and I agree with the comments of how mentally and physically tough Coach Bickley was in his career and how he still is today. His attitude is being passed to each and every member of the squad. The academic results speak to this. I would agree that some changes would be good especially in terms of budget, and promotion of this program and the sport of wrestling at FHSU. He is the right man for the job and his recruiting and results speak more to me as a positive for him as a coach rather then a negative. This program has improved in many ways since Cody took on the head coaching responsibilities and is still improving. I really liked the idea from one of the posts about using your money (fund raising) about a D1 program in the state to improve the program at FHSU. I also believe that some of the posts seriously underestimate the level of wrestling at the D2 level. Very few wrestlers step in their first two years and dominate.

Coach Sweet
Trojan Wrestling

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: short sit] #126573 03/28/08 05:01 PM
DjDooley Offline
I didn’t want to get involved since I am a FHSU wrestler but I am tired of seeing this topic of FHSU needs a change. I stopped reading this post because it really frustrated me because not only is Coach Bickley my coach but he is my practice partner. He has taught me how to be a better wrestler, student, and all around person on and off the mat. But now you have posted this article in our FHSU paper. I really don’t think that this was appropriate for all the students to read but that is just me. What are you going to do next start putting up signs around Kansas about us? I think that you have tried to make a point that a lot of people don’t agree with. I wish that you would have never gone about this the way you did. If you had a problem then you should have went to coach.

Dustin Dooley

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: DjDooley] #126586 03/28/08 06:14 PM
W
wrestle007 Offline
W
I dont have a dog in this fight but I'm not really following when everyone says Eric should have gone to the coach directly. Going to the coach directly wouldn't solve anything. Eric sees the results and believes they should be better. Obviously Coach Bickley does not see the need for change or he himself would leave. A conversation between the two would solve nothing.

I am not commenting on whether change is needed or not, I really don't know. But I really feel all Eric is doing is demanding excellence. If the fans, boosters, administrators, etc. begin to view the results as unacceptable thats how change taking place, leading me to believe this not an inappopriate way of going about things. Maybe Eric is right, maybe hes wrong, I don't really know, but I'd hate to see a guy faulted to much for refusing to settle for mediocrity.

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: DjDooley] #126590 03/28/08 06:21 PM
L
Luedke Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I only wanted to stir the pot once about what I thought. I wrote that like two weeks ago. Sorry, to stir the pot again. It should of been published the same time I started this topic. I think it is just my intial post. They probably are just getting it in the paper because of spring break. I have learned that alot of people respect Bickley a ton which is great. You got four years to kick some butt, win titles and prove me dead wrong. Make it happen!

I wish FHSU wrestling the best! I am done posting on this topic and think I got a lot accomplished. I brought light to a topic I believe needed addressed and that was my mission. I believe a lot more people within the state and University will be paying a little more attention to the Tiger wrestling program next year. Hopefully, it will drive some boosters to donate more!

Thank you all for a the input both ways!

Support the Tigers and do what you can to get them to the TOP!

Sincerely, Eric Luedke

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: wrestle007] #126595 03/28/08 06:39 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline
H
People who throw stones should not live in glass houses. Arm chair quaterbacks never did anything. Vicarious people did'nt either.

I am a former college assistant. I worked my way from a student coach,a graduate assistant to a volunteer assistant coach. I wrestled for Coach James at what was then Central State University out of high school for three years before transfering to FHSU. I will tell you that it has nothing to do with the coaching ability of Cody. Uco has an operating budget of 100,000 plus. Just wonder what UNO or UK has. UCO also has at least 8.5 scholarships. They used to have 9.5 until the NCAA cut it back.

College recruiting, for those that make post's and have never done it is very difficult. There are so many variables involved that it would take several posts to even break ground on the subject.

I would suggest that before you make a comment about coaching that you should have some expertise at the level in which you are concered about.

I wrestled with Cody and was one of his coaches. I personlly carried Cody of the mat after he broke his leg. He finished the match, if that does not tell you something about his dedication and desire then what would. As one of his coaches perhaps he learned somethings from me. Perhaphs I tought him something. And you want to bash him for his coaching abilities. Now you are not only bashing him, you are bashing me as well and every other coach that has had something to do with Cody.

I would suggest to you that you become a college coach and then you can speak your mind.

Dave Hull

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Hull DWC] #126598 03/28/08 06:50 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline
H
I am sorry I will let this go. Just one more post. This tread never shouls have even made it one day before being removed. It is this kind of negative, inexpereanced, uneducated posts that make life as a coach miserable. Somebody always thinks they know more or thinks they are better. Yet they do not have the experiance. Why not try to help the program. Send your kids there. Help promote the program. HELP IT BECOME WHAT YOU WANT. Do not bash it.

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Hull DWC] #126620 03/28/08 09:35 PM
DjDooley Offline
Dave thank you for your comments. I think coach is really good at what he does: recruiting, coaching and wrestling. He is not only my coach or my friend but I look at him as a father figure.

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: DjDooley] #126627 03/28/08 11:39 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline
H
Just one more thought for our friend. UCO, enrollment of about 17,000 + UNO about the same. UCO one full time assistant two GA's and a couple of student coaches. UNO same. FHSU enrollment about 5000. One GA and a couple of assistants. Who has the advantage. If you want to stir the pot then help FHSU get a full time assitant and more GA's.

Once FHSU has what they need to fullfill your wishes; should they fall short, then you will have a leg to stand on.

Four years and owe you? FHSU nor any other school in the country owes you jack in a hat. IF anything Mr. FHSU fan and supporter you owe FHSU.

Oh and by the way, you did not stir the pot for anything positive all you did was irritate people who have and are trying to make a difference by supporting a program.

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Hull DWC] #126636 03/29/08 01:40 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
suplay1 wrote "Just one more thought for our friend. UCO, enrollment of about 17,000 + UNO about the same. UCO one full time assistant two GA's and a couple of student coaches. UNO same. FHSU enrollment about 5000. One GA and a couple of assistants. Who has the advantage. If you want to stir the pot then help FHSU get a full time assitant and more GA's."

Get real, all the guy did was state FACTS. He gave hard numbers that support his case. He IS the winningest coach in FHSU history, but he's also very few losses shy of also being the LOSINGEST coach in history. Luedke says "Coach Bickley is 57-42-5 as the head wrestling coach of FHSU. With a winning percentage of 57/104=.548" That statement speaks for itself.

Defend him as a person all you want, no one is questioning him as a man, they are questioning his coaching style/results. Defend the numbers he has posted, this is what the whole post is about, the facts, not his integrity as a person.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #126663 03/29/08 02:42 PM
T
tksnkc Offline
T
Suplay -

"Once FHSU has what they need to fullfill your wishes; should they fall short, then you will have a leg to stand on.
Four years and owe you? FHSU nor any other school in the country owes you jack in a hat. IF anything Mr. FHSU fan and supporter you owe FHSU.
Oh and by the way, you did not stir the pot for anything positive all you did was irritate people who have and are trying to make a difference by supporting a program"

What the heck does this all mean? Dont attack someone who has just stated his opinion, and coming from someone with his legite credintials, we can respect them, we dont have to agree but you have no right to bash him in this manner. Get a clue, we all want FHSU to succeed, we just have different ways of supporting it.

YOU WANT THE SAME RESULTS, KEEP DOING THE SAME THINGS..

Tim King

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Luedke] #127704 04/10/08 07:57 PM
M
Myron Ellegood Offline
M
Coaching is kind of like officiating. It looks easy enough until you’re the one doing it. If you want to be the best you have to constantly critique what your doing and figure out how you can make things better. I have known Cody for many years on many different levels and I feel comfortable saying Cody is constantly critiquing himself. He has made many changes and is searching for the success we would all like to see. Cody has done many of the things some people on this forum have blasted him for such as heavily recruiting NJCAA athletes and working tirelessly to raise funds for the program. Some of these funds go into an endowment program set up to eventually fully fund the FHSU wrestling program. Before we talk about replacing the coach why don’t we talk about what can be done to support him and the program. I have wrestled with him, wrestled for him, and coached with him, and I would have gladly given him my All-American accolades his senior year because he earned it as a leader with his die hard attitude. Cody, being a coach comes with being in the spot light both good and bad, keep working hard. All you have to do is answer to the man in the mirror.

Sincerely,
Myron Ellegood
ELLEGOODMS@usd308.com

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Myron Ellegood] #128133 04/18/08 03:21 PM
L
Luedke 3:16 Offline
L
Let's support Coach Bickley and get him the things he needs to be successful. Firing coaches is not the answer

Re: ITS TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE @ FHSU [Re: Luedke] #128393 04/30/08 03:11 PM
W
washington89 Offline
W
I was wondering, what do the t-shirts look like for your camp with Saferite at Andover Central this summer?
And I agree, it's not the answer

Last edited by washington89; 04/30/08 03:12 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 147 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)