Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
whate happened to the family #127175 04/02/08 01:33 PM
J
jkeplar Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am probly going to get yelled at for this but o'well. What has happened to this sport. I graduated in 99, when I was a kid there was a tighter bound between all wrestlers. Its seems to me that everyone is out for there own good not the good of the kids. I have had my success, its time for the other kids to have thers. Not just by winning but by growing and learning from the sport as I have. You have parents fighting in the stands coaching fighting on the mat and it teaches the kids that this is appropriate behavior. Clubs in the same town splitting up, parents and coaches in clubs stabbing each other in the back, the list goes on and on. What ever happened to what ever is best for the kid not what is best for mom or dad or coaches ego

Jake Keplar
circle wrestling

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: jkeplar] #127180 04/02/08 02:52 PM
windjammer Offline
I think part of the difference is in your perspective. As a parent, you are more aware of the politics. There were problems in 1999 also.

In 1999 when a club split off, or parents fought in the stands, you probably didn't even know about it unless it directly affected you. Now, you can witness the arguments live on this forum.

There are still tight bonds between most wrestlers and most wrestling families. I speak regularly in person and on the phone to fathers of kids my son has wrestled throughout the years. We attend their practices and they ours. In wrestling, we have made friends of opponents and their families unlike in any other sport.

All that being said, there are some real problems with our society that are reflected in every wrestling tournament, every basketball game and football game. We have made sports more than they really are. We and our children see over and over the newest end zone dances and hockey fights and basketball players going after fans that taunt them mercilessly. Sportsmanship and respect for the game are, at the professional level, largely a thing of the past, and this has trickled down from college to high school and even middle schools.

Some of the things that I think we all enjoy may actually contribute to the problem. For example, the parade of champions with the spotlights and music. It is a nice reward for the wrestlers and exciting for the fans. It's also a prime opportunity for bad sportmanship and may be a little over the top for eight year old athletes.

I still believe that there are very few bad apples in youth wrestling and many many great people out there.

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: windjammer] #127181 04/02/08 02:56 PM
Coach Bill Offline
Wow you do have a sierious side, and I totally agree!!!

Coach Bill
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: windjammer] #127187 04/02/08 03:51 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
 Originally Posted By: windjammer
In 1999 when a club split off, or parents fought in the stands, you probably didn't even know about it unless it directly affected you. Now, you can witness the arguments live on this forum.

I think you will have to go back further than '99'. Who can forget, what some of us affectionately refer to as the "T-bone War" of 99 or 00. I never can remember the year for sure but it was during the infancy of this board. I always leave it to Richard Salyer to supply the correct date of those debates but it was exciting to say the least.

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: sportsfan02] #127193 04/02/08 05:38 PM
J
jkeplar Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I started wrestling when I was 5, the wrestling community was like one big family, its not that way anymore.

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: jkeplar] #127199 04/02/08 06:54 PM
Beeson Offline
Maybe this will make you feel a little better. When we were between the ages of 5 and 12 we were innocent and saw the good in people. I'll bet most of the 5-12 year old kids today still see wrestling as a big family. Unfortunately as adults we see the bad also and usually focus on it instead of the good. Also with the internet things that once were talked about among a few for a little while, are now discussed about by everyone for way too long. The sport hasn't changed that much, just our perception of it.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: Beeson] #127200 04/02/08 06:57 PM
windjammer Offline
When I was 5, everything was great.

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: windjammer] #127202 04/02/08 07:14 PM
Allie Offline
I have to disagree that there isn't a bond between these wrestlers. My son has made some tremendous friends out of the competitors. Just last weekend, one of them beat him out - the difference between 3rd/4th or 5th/6th. He was really ticked off... but 20 minutes later he was up sitting with him and his family doing "boy" stuff.
Later, when my son was wrestling in his last match - who was right there beside me cheering him on??? That boy's mother. When her son was wrestling... who was cheering him on? Me and my daughters.
I think it is a matter of perspective. This is just one example - I can give you many, many more. The good of the wrestling community out weighs the negative 1,000 to 1!!

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: Allie] #127204 04/02/08 07:19 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
lets not all let a few mishaps between other clubs influence our kids. my son has met several kids this year. to watch them play cards less than 5 minutes after wrestling that same kid is something i love to see. win or lose my son still sits and talks to those kids.

Scott Bockover
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: bockman] #127217 04/02/08 08:56 PM
J
jkeplar Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Its not that I feel bad beeson this sports has gone to he*&, my grandparents see the difference or were they to young back then to only see the good in people

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: jkeplar] #127219 04/02/08 09:17 PM
Beeson Offline
I still see alot of good people in the sport, Jake was playing with the Brycen Shroeder 1 match before their semi-final match. They still like each other and root for each other.

There are people that I don't get along with...I just avoid them.

There are alot more people that I do get along with, too numerous to name in a post. Alot of Family still in the wrestling community.

Grandma and Grandpa weren't too young. They just remember the good ole days.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: Beeson] #127238 04/02/08 11:48 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Things I remember about my youth wrestling days (1973-1980):

1) We wrestled two times in Hiawatha. Why do I remember that? It snowed both times and I loved the snow (still do).

2) My wrestling career was much like my first and only ski trip to Colorado: ugly in the beginning but not too bad in the later stages.

3) Being a member of the first Kid's Wrestling club Belleville Kansas ever sent to the mat (I think - 5 of us in 1973).

4) The first tournament I beat a kid in a match early in the day and lost to him that afternoon (cost me the 3rd/4th place match).

5) Getting a ride home from a tournament by our coach in his (I think light green) Opal. He had a lot of curly hair back then(kind of like the teacher on Welcome Back Kotter). Some of you down around Wellington might have known him as Coach Decker.

6) After going undefeated in Jr High my 8th grade year, my parents didn't have the $10 to enter me in Kids Federation that year. My oldest brother who was at CCCC in Condordia sent me a check for the entry fee so I wouldn't miss the season. Not sure where the money came from for four or five tournaments I wrestled that year, including Subs and Districts.

7) Losing three straight years to a young man from Beloit named Matt Treaster. The last match we wrestled was at Districts in the '79-'80 season in Junction City. Final score: 2-7. How could I remember that? My Mom found the note pad I kept all my wrestling results from that year and sent it to me here while I have been on active duty.

8) Eating orange slices and melba toast with honey on them during the tournaments. Guess that is all my parents could afford to send with me.

9) Hanging out with my other brother and his girlfriend when I was 10 or 11 before the finals of the Belleville tournament (probably not his choice) and finishing second that day. My first experience that having a beautiful young lady around was not in my best interest during the wrestling season.

10) Riding with another family to a couple of wrestling tournaments and in one of those new Panel Vans listening to an
8-track tape of a comedy routine by George Carlin (something to do with a flatuation contest to the best of my memory).

I have many other memories from those years in regards to wrestling, yet these are some of the most special to me. I hope that my sons look back when they are in their 40s and have as fond of memories about this sport as I do. I too, as a father of a wrestler and a coach, have met a lot of wonderful people the last seven years. I also met a lot of great people when I was a volunteer coach for the Lawrence Jr Wrestling club 3 years back in the late '80s while in college. The wrestling families are much like the military in that you meet a lot of really good people, a few quirky ones, but most of all, you share a special bond that is hard to experience doing other things.

Lee Girard
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: ReDPloyd] #127250 04/03/08 01:08 AM
On_the_Mat Offline
From Bellville around 83-84 @ Jayhusker Invitational (Marysville)I remember a couple Bettis boys I believe Troy and Tony who were pretty fair wrestlers.

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: On_the_Mat] #127253 04/03/08 01:20 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Tony and Troy were two of our original five that I spoke of in my post. They were a year older than me and a good 15-20 pounds lighter, but they still beat the stuffing out of me back then. I moved to Pratt in 1980 and wrestled there my four years of High School. Funny thing about the Bettis twins, had I stayed in Belleville, I was seriously considering playing basketball in High School because I didn't look forward to going against those two in practice for three more years.

Lee Girard
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: ReDPloyd] #127255 04/03/08 01:36 AM
5G's Dad Offline
 Originally Posted By: DPloyd4Now
Things I remember about my youth wrestling days (1973-1980):

5) Getting a ride home from a tournament by our coach in his (I think light green) Opal. He had a lot of curly hair back then(kind of like the teacher on Welcome Back Kotter). Some of you down around Wellington might have known him as Coach Decker.

DPloyd...this is a great memory for you to share. As someone who knew coach Decker as a teacher and a coach as well, long before I met you, I can only laugh at the picture I had in my mind of this. Take care of yourself and I look forward to having you back at the STA wrestling room next year!

Troy Gooch

Last edited by 5G's Dad; 04/03/08 01:37 AM.
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: Beeson] #127256 04/03/08 01:40 AM
wallacewrestling Offline
 Originally Posted By: Beeson
Maybe this will make you feel a little better. When we were between the ages of 5 and 12 we were innocent and saw the good in people. I'll bet most of the 5-12 year old kids today still see wrestling as a big family. Unfortunately as adults we see the bad also and usually focus on it instead of the good. Also with the internet things that once were talked about among a few for a little while, are now discussed about by everyone for way too long. The sport hasn't changed that much, just our perception of it.

I totally agree Beeson!!!! Michael Spangler won 4-0 against my son in the semis and not 10 minutes later he is up talking with him and his father just like friends would do.

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: wallacewrestling] #127257 04/03/08 01:52 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Troy,

Tell Gabe I thought he did a great job this year. I am so glad he extended his season as long as he did. He is one tough cookie. You are right about Coach Decker. He had a tremendous influence on my life at such a young age, not just as a great coach, but also as a human being. Luckily for me, I had a wonderful coach and mentor in High School as well.

Lee Girard
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: ReDPloyd] #127271 04/03/08 11:28 AM
wrestlingparents Offline
I think the wrestling family is still there....my son has made many of friends from other towns over the years. We have opened our house up to them, as we are this weekend, and he talks to them year round. That is what makes wrestling stand above most other sports...the kids can wrestle each other to the bitter end, but after the match is over..it is over and they are planning when they will visit each other in the off season.

Re: whate happened to the family [Re: wrestlingparents] #127284 04/03/08 02:05 PM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
we have made so many friends this year, it's funny, now if we see Priddy and Casteel wrestling all we can do is cheer, "come on boys" or give one a cheer followed by a cheer for the other one. It's that way with many of our new friends, we wish them all the best and hope to see them in the off season for fun times as well.

koltons_dad
Re: whate happened to the family [Re: wrestlingparents] #127286 04/03/08 02:07 PM
Coach Bill Offline
I agree whole heartedly, my son has always made friends with his opponents. I took my son camping for his B-day last year and he invited his toughest opponent & some of his teammates they had a ball!!!

Coach Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox, Coach Lueders, forty
12296 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,911
Posts250,304
Members12,296
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)