Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening #128230 04/22/08 08:36 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening
smokeycabin smokeycabin

Loc: Shawnee Kansas USA Wrestling Background
Screening Program

I am all for the Background Screening Program. Except I think it also opens up the door for the possibility of identity theft. They are asking for a lot of potential private information that could be sold electronically and used in identity theft. Can TClogiQ sell our information to other for profit or nonprofit companies, marketing companies or any company. Can the electronic payment vendor Authorize.net (third party company) sell our information to other for profit or nonprofit companies. What are the safe guards that this could never happen? All clubs should forward the information to their coaches as soon as possible so that USA Wrestling Background Screening Program
is take care of before upcoming deadlines.

Breaking News ...

As most members are aware, USA Wrestling will be requiring background checks for member coaches starting next season (beginning September 1). USAW has now released their background screening policy, along with a detailed description of the program and how it will be implemented.

If you will be applying for a coaches' card next season, be aware that you must successfully complete this background screening before you can obtain your membership card. (4/22/08)

I may be a little nervous about the procedure because identity theft is a huge problem in the electronic age. More so now than it was 15-25 years ago when everything was shuffled in paper format with signatures of both parties involved. Paper Trail Example: I sign an agreement saying it is OK for TC logiQ to to do a background check and I mail it to them. That company sends me back a letter with a persons name on it who performed the back ground check - ON THAT COMPANIES letter head saying I passed or was denied for what ever reason and I stick it in a legal file. I take that letter to the club director and then order my coaches card. I just feel this also protects the coaches so that they have some legal ground to stand on by having a paper trail.

Sean McCarthy
STA Kids Club

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: smokeycabin] #128238 04/23/08 01:09 AM
J
jafo14 Offline
J
you can go to kbi and get one too and probably not have to worry as much about that. i'm not sure what they all charge, but it's another way.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: jafo14] #128239 04/23/08 01:19 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Can someone point me in the direction of the USAW background check policy? You would think the policy would be plastered all over at this point.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: sportsfan02] #128240 04/23/08 01:30 AM
J
jayhawk pride Offline
J
each method, paper or electronic, poses its own set of problems. I trust the decision makers of USA Wrestling to choose a safe and reliable source for handling private information. electronic or conventional identity theft is always a threat and you should always take proper steps to help protect your side of the transaction.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: jayhawk pride] #128241 04/23/08 02:39 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline
sportsfan- the background policy is on the home page. First paragraph

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: bubbasmom77] #128242 04/23/08 04:04 AM
B
Bauerly Offline
B
This is OK with me will the High Schools Kansas High School Athletic Association follow with the same for they rely on this site for all pertinent info, this will also thin the heard down won't it S M

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: Bauerly] #128243 04/23/08 04:12 AM
B
Bauerly Offline
B
This is OK with me will the High Schools Kansas High School Athletic Association follow with the same for they rely on this site for all pertinent info, this will also thin the herd down won't it S M. I may have ment this instead.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: bubbasmom77] #128244 04/23/08 10:14 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
 Originally Posted By: bubbasmom77
sportsfan- the background policy is on the home page. First paragraph

I guess I'm still missing it! Front page of what? I've checked both themat.com and this site with no luck. Link please? Oh and please tell me our policy regarding background checks is an extremely long paragraph in length.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: sportsfan02] #128245 04/23/08 11:32 AM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
The links are the first topic of "Beaking News" on the home page of this site.

Policy

Program

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: Mark J Stanley] #128247 04/23/08 12:12 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
The first item under breaking news on the site for me is FS/GR entries for the state tournament. Thanks for the links!

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: sportsfan02] #128250 04/23/08 12:26 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
I read the policy and I have a couple of questions. If any of you can help out with answers I would greatly appreciate it.

1. In the policy it makes it sound like we only have to do this every 2 years, however, we have to buy new cards every year. In other parts of the policy it makes it sound like you have to do it before you purchase a new card, that would make it an annual requirement. Can someone provide clarification?

2. When doing the online check it asks for certain info. One of the items they ask for is your USAW membership #. If I have to do this before I get my USAW membership then how can I have a USAW membership #? OR do I put in the previous year's #?

3. What is the state procedure for getting coaches cards once this is implemented? My understanding of the policy and the instructions lead me to believe that we pay for the screening and the card at the same time right to USAW. Is this true or am I not reading it correctly?
If we don't do it at the same time, then do our coaches have to print their screening and turn it in to the club so we can forward it to the state when we purchase their cards?

Any help is appreciated.

Shawn Budke

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: sportsfan02] #128251 04/23/08 12:31 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Why does it say "proposed POLICY" on the policy page?

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: sportsfan02] #128253 04/23/08 01:11 PM
Coach Bill Offline
I have been coaching wrestling for 5 years now and I love it. My reason for saying that is because when I was young dumb and full of it I made some very bad decisions!! I have a felony for sales of a controlled substance in 1990. Because of that I find it hard to get work because I guess people dont think people can change for the better!! I always tell kids to not smoke, drink, or do drugs!! I am very adament about that!!! I hope that my bad decisions when I was younger dont keep me from coaching, but if it does I guess that can be anothr example I can tell the kids!! If I can keep 1 kid off drugs it will be worth it!!!! There I just aired my dirty laundry to everyone, hope nobody thinks less of me, I am a different person than I was in 1990.

Coach Bill
Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: Coach Bill] #128254 04/23/08 02:06 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Based upon the criteria in the policy I would say yes that will disqualify you from holding a coaches card. It is important to remember, that this not only disqualifies you from coaching at tournaments but in the room as well IMO. A club who uses a coach that failed the background check is likely voiding their club sanction IMO. If that is the case, no club is going to want to have someone coaching in the room that voids their insurance.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: sportsfan02] #128257 04/23/08 03:37 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
I will apologize up front if I missed the answers to my questions in the short time I had to look over the policy and the Background Screening companies' website. Having worked for a contract employment services company for eight years and having handled hundreds of criminal background checks for companies, I had the following questions:

1) How many years does the background check screen for (it makes mention of filling out information from the age of 18). Most companies only conduct background checks for 5-7 years back, seven being the norm.

2) Is this a Federal, State or County, Federal & State & County, State & County, etc? I know from experience that a State background check will not always uncover convictions at the county level in certain cases.

3) It says that the cost is $17 per screen. It also talks about additional costs being incurred in certain situations. If a company is doing criminal checks down to the county level, and the person being screened has had multiple addresses in multiple states and/or counties, usually the cost can increase quite a bit.

Just some thoughts until I have time to fully absorb the policy and do more research on the company doing the screening. I think this is a good step for the Kids Federation to take.

Lee Girard
Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: ReDPloyd] #128259 04/23/08 05:35 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I would appreciate yours or anyone's personal knowledge in this area so keep us informed.
It is important to recognize that this isn't Kansas Kids or the Federation implementing this background check policy, it is USAW, and thus we should all be even more careful and concerned. I am worried that we are gradually giving all power and authority to USAW.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: sportsfan02] #128260 04/23/08 06:45 PM
Mike Juby Offline
 Quote:
In the policy it makes it sound like we only have to do this every 2 years, however, we have to buy new cards every year. In other parts of the policy it makes it sound like you have to do it before you purchase a new card, that would make it an annual requirement. Can someone provide clarification?
The background check is valid for two seasons (Sept-Oct). If you passed a background check the prior season you will be able to obtain a coaches card without undergoing another background check for that year.

Quote:
When doing the online check it asks for certain info. One of the items they ask for is your USAW membership #. If I have to do this before I get my USAW membership then how can I have a USAW membership #? OR do I put in the previous year's #?
You'll notice that this item is marked "if applicable." If you don't have a number it won't create any problem.

Quote:
What is the state procedure for getting coaches cards once this is implemented? My understanding of the policy and the instructions lead me to believe that we pay for the screening and the card at the same time right to USAW. Is this true or am I not reading it correctly?
If we don't do it at the same time, then do our coaches have to print their screening and turn it in to the club so we can forward it to the state when we purchase their cards?
I have been working with USAW for the past year to try and establish a procedure that would allow us to continue to issue coaches' memberships at the club level, as requested at this past year's state body meeting. I believe that we are going to be able to do this, but since it is outside of their standard procedure you won't find it in their policy. As soon as I know how/if this will be handled I'll inform the state on the procedure.

Quote:
How many years does the background check screen for (it makes mention of filling out information from the age of 18). Most companies only conduct background checks for 5-7 years back, seven being the norm.
My understanding is that it includes all available records without any time limits. Since records on minors are restricted by law they would not be included.

Quote:
Is this a Federal, State or County, Federal & State & County, State & County, etc? I know from experience that a State background check will not always uncover convictions at the county level in certain cases.
I don't know the precise records that will be checked, but I do know that it is not restricted to state and local sources, but does include some of those records.

Quote:
It says that the cost is $17 per screen. It also talks about additional costs being incurred in certain situations. If a company is doing criminal checks down to the county level, and the person being screened has had multiple addresses in multiple states and/or counties, usually the cost can increase quite a bit.
TC logiQ has comitted to a flat fee of $17. I believe that additional fees only come into play if there is additional work done after the conclusion of the initial screening.

Quote:
The first item under breaking news on the site for me is FS/GR entries for the state tournament.
Try refreshing/reloading your browser - you are probably looking at a copy of the site that your computer has cached.

Quote:
Why does it say "proposed POLICY" on the policy page?
Although they did not clear this text from the page, I've been assured that this is the final policy.

Quote:
I have been coaching wrestling for 5 years now and I love it. My reason for saying that is because when I was young dumb and full of it I made some very bad decisions!! I have a felony for sales of a controlled substance in 1990...
Even if you fail to pass the background screening, you will still have the opportunity to make your case. You will have three options to resolve your screening results: 1) withdraw your application from the screening process; 2) dispute the accuracy of the search report; or 3) request a waiver acknowledging the results of the search and requesting an appeal to USAW’s Background Check Review Committee. In your case, you would choose #3 and make your case to the Review Committee.

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: Mike Juby] #128262 04/23/08 07:30 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Mike,

Thanks for the answers. Should we hold off on having our coaches do this until we find out how we are going to do the card issue within the state?

Thanks again.

Shawn Budke

Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: shawnbudke] #128263 04/23/08 09:12 PM
Coach Bill Offline
Thanks Mike I appreciate that!!!

Coach Bill
Re: Coaches comments USAWKS Background Screening [Re: Coach Bill] #128264 04/23/08 09:29 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Shawn,

Definitely hold off the background checks until September 1. Since the checks are good for two seasons, if you do anything now you will be wasting one season.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 190 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)