Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130579 08/06/08 05:52 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Kit I was going to let this drop but you just keep going here. Just a couple of points. I never said a word about your father. I didn't know or care that your father worked for Baker. I have nothing against Baker perse, I was only commenting on the practice schools have of going far and wide for coaches when there are very good coaches right here looking for work. You are making this a personal deal which matters none at all to me except that it is not and was not ever meant to be that at all. I think I said several times how much I thought of Baker and all of those schools. My thoughts were more in support of Kansas young talented people rather than some personal deal. You have an emotional attachment to Baker, thats ok. I don't. You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say either because of that emotion or because I didn't communicate it right but please don't put words in my mouth. I never and will never say anything bad about your dad. It is in support of Kansas guys that I made that comment. If you choose to make it something else then power to you. I don't care and I don't get offended easily. Notice I didn't say anything bad about anybody here. Just wanted to be clear on that.

By the way when colleges hire people it is in the public forum. That is the price you pay for playing in the game. Your dad knows that, we've all taken it before. Nobody has to tell me that Baker is quality. I have been beaten by them many times in my life. Never said they weren't but I don't have to like everything everyone does. They don't care what I like nor should they. I will take care of that for myself. Your definition of respect is yours. You can deal with that yourself.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/06/08 05:58 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130585 08/06/08 06:59 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I commented on this thread earlier and will reiterate my daughter, by choice went to a private Kansas College, Southwestern, and we were by no means “well off”. I attended and graduated from Tabor College, at the time prior to college, was homeless, lived in a YMCA Homeless Shelter for 2 years, and had no parental support other than $168 a month I received from my fathers’ death. I got a total of $5 from my grandmother while in college over 5 years. My point simply this, any student that wants to go to college, even a private NAIA school can find a way to do so. Way to go Baker and I personally wish the school the best of luck in the future and I also know that kids that are willing to work hard, search for the money, and do what is necessary, can attend Baker if they choose.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130588 08/06/08 07:11 PM
Gary Seibel Offline
Thought it was time to put in my 2 cents.

I for one am pleased to see another post-secondary wrestling opportunity in Kansas. Coach May has contacted me to touch base and introduce himself and I find this very refreshing since he is the ONLY coach at a 4 year Kansas school to do so during my CAREER and his team is still in the planning stages. Westfahl, good coaches come from a lot of places.

Thought #2:

I think it highly unlikely we will ever convince KU or KSU to add wrestling. In my opinion we should turn our attention to WSU for a DI program and look to restore DII programs at Pitt & Emporia to complement the program at FHSU. Programs don't have to be DI to be good for wrestling. Look north to UNK and UNO.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Gary Seibel] #130590 08/06/08 07:24 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I am well aware of the geological goodness of coaches but thanks for that anyway lol.

Glad you like him hope he does well. I agree that the DII programs are the answer. That was one of my original thoughts that I alluded to. When they come up I hope that they pursue Roberson, Johnston, Luedke, Akin and others who have the spurs to do the job and who have name in the area. That is my hope, you know what happens to hope lol. Have a good day.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/06/08 07:31 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130593 08/06/08 11:04 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Randy, sorry to drag on but I sent you PM, wanted to offer some final thoughts on the discussion. Please check when you have a chance.

=====

Alright, on to something new and a cool fact many may not know. As a JH kid, I was helping out with BU FB team in early 80's as a ballboy and whatnot while my Dad was O-line coach. The 1986 BU team made the national finals, losing in title game. The TE on that team was young man named Mike McCarthy, go turn on ESPN to see what he is up to now!

Mike is great guy, many may not know he is BU alum. He came back to town last October during Packers off week to be elected to BU HOF, still a very down to earth guy. Sat on my Dad's porch with former teammates telling old war stories and having great time.

He is a great success story, finished at Baker, coached as GA at Ft. Hays St., then on to other college asst jobs. Once even worked nights on toll booth in PA while volunteer asst for Paul Hackett at Pitt, then brought to Chiefs and was QB coach during Joe Montana's time. Then one thing led to another (Saints, 49ers...) and then led Packers to NFC title game last year, named NFL Coach of the Year by some organizations.

From Baldwin City to Vince Lombardi's desk, he is great success story of climbing the ladder and proving that people can make it big from small places. He still stays in contact with university as often as he is able to, amazing to think about as busy as he must be.

Just a fun fact wanted to share.

A whole lot of Packers fans now in Baldwin City!

Regards,
Kit Harris

Last edited by Kit Harris; 08/07/08 12:28 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Kit Harris] #130594 08/06/08 11:16 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Wasn't my original intention of the post above but.....

To add to the story, as Coach McCarthy went from Arizona to Kansas to Pennsylvania to Missouri to Louisiana to California to Wisconsin, etc....I bet he sure is glad that nobody along the way ever said "don't hire him, he is from out of state."

Last edited by Kit Harris; 08/07/08 01:08 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Kit Harris] #130607 08/08/08 11:05 AM
parkwayred Offline
Originally Posted By: Kit Harris

A whole lot of Packers fans now in Baldwin City!

I'm glad there is a bunch of Packer fans in Baldwin. Not a whole lot left in Green Bay!

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Chief Renegade] #130630 08/09/08 01:38 PM
O
OnurFeet Offline
O
Did new head coach Jimmy May ever All-American? I guess I didn't look right.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: OnurFeet] #130632 08/09/08 02:08 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: onurfeet
Did new head coach Jimmy May ever All-American? I guess I didn't look right.

From the Press Release announcing the hiring of Coach May:

"May is a cum laude graduate from the University of Central Missouri and earned his master’s degree from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. While competing in wrestling at UCM, he was a two-time NCAA All-American wrestler and a member of the UCM Wrestling Hall-of-Fame."

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: RichardDSalyer] #130634 08/09/08 03:00 PM
O
OnurFeet Offline
O
Oh

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: OnurFeet] #130638 08/09/08 06:28 PM
R
ReadnReact Offline
R
Would there be any former wrestlers already attending or planning to attend Baker? Maybe some multi-sport athletes that chose another sport?

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: ReadnReact] #130648 08/10/08 04:40 AM
Paratroop Offline
I say sweet and am exicted for Baker and those who will be wrestling and coaching for Baker! I say welcome to Kansas Coach May! Can't wait to get my tickets and support them!!!!!!!!!

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)