Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
sportsmanship #7967 01/05/04 04:55 PM
S
spsmom Offline OP
OP Offline
S
One of the things I like most about wrestling is that it is a physical sport, yet is still fair and honorable. It is full of life lessons, like how to lose with grace and win with humility. And most wrestlers and their families behave respectably.

But if you were anywhere near mat 6 at the Derby Tournament this past weekend you would have seen completely different behavior. Since when is it acceptable to high-5 after your opponent gets injured? Why does everyone put up with this super-aggression from wrestlers, their coaches and their families? The Dickson boys are outstanding wrestlers. They can certainly compete on pure ability - they don't need 'Ultimate Fighting Championship' mentality. I once witnessed one of them getting ready for a big match - one of their coaches was yelling "blood and guts" over and over at him while he jumped rope. Intensity is great, but this is over the top. It is a disgrace to the sport of wrestling and the state of Kansas.

Re: sportsmanship #7968 01/06/04 01:19 AM
A
ACHeat#1 Offline
A
spsmom...
As a follower/supporter of AC Heat I have a reply for your comments. I was at the Derby tournament myself. In Fact I was videoing the very match you are refering to. I was less than 5 feet from the two boys when the accident happened. It was a terrible thing. And I assure you NO ONE from AC Heat took pleasure in knowing the boys arm got broke. In fact the Dickson boy gave his opponent a hug after the match was called.

I know there was a lot of noise about the move but I showed the video to a ref that didn't see the match. He said it was a legal move and the only reason the kids arm got broke is because of the strange position it was in.

I personally didn't see any high five's going on... but IF there was one it was probably for one of the other 7 matches the AC Heat had going on at the same time.

The Dickson family has many obsticles to get those three boys to tournaments. They are not a wealthy family by any means. If you sense extreeme intensity it is because this is more than a passtime sport to them. This is the only way those boys will go to college!! So if you don't want to wrestle against them.. move your child to another weight bracket. But Don't expect them to lower their standards to your level.

All I have left to say is the only reason I created this profile is to respond to your comments. In case you don't know the reason for the golden rule, it is to keep people such as yourself from talking about things they know nothing about!!

Lisa

Re: sportsmanship #7969 01/06/04 02:09 AM
K
kukid Offline
K
Lisa - No offense but your comments didn't make sense. You say the family is intense because "that is the only way the boys will go to college". Wake up!!! College wrestling is on the way out. By the time those boys get to college there will be very few college wrestling programs in this country. The number of programs have been cut in half this decade. The majority of kids who do wrestle in college get very little financial support. Very few get a full ride. If going to college was the main concern of the family then they would do better to take the kids out of wrestling and take the money they would save on practices, tournaments and etc. and put it in a college fund. And another thing: The "Golden Rule" is do onto others as you would have them do onto you. It has nothing to do with remaining silent. Maybe AC Heat should learn the Golden Rule.

Re: sportsmanship #7970 01/06/04 02:48 AM
W
wrestlinfan Offline
W
Here's a novile idea. Try making them study. There are far more scholarships given for academic acheivements than wrestling

Re: sportsmanship #7971 01/06/04 05:54 AM
F
Full Contact Offline
F
I've been associated with the sport of wrestling over the past thirty years as a fan, a participant (kid's league through college), an official, and a coach. The reason I encouraged my kids to give this sport a try and the reason I spend so many volunteer hours each week/year coaching kids is that so much good can come from the experience...(well beyond the competition itself). I've also told my kids that even though there are a thousand reasons to love this sport there will (unfortunately) most likely be some bad experiences too. It is very upsetting to see the sport I love be desimated and degraded by the actions of a few clubs, coaches, participants, and their family members (many of whom have never actually competed in this sport nor really understand it). When kids are trained/coached in the same manner that one trains pit bulls for a dog fight...it hurts the sport. When parents and coaches develop a "win at all costs mentality"...it hurts the sport. When participants resort to deliberate cheap shots (legal or illegal) with intent to harm...it not only hurts the sport, it often hurts the wrestler. It's also important to note that there's more than one video of that match and depending on which official you talk to, there are differing opinions on the legality of the hit. I was taught to wrestle tough, aggressive and intense but I was never taught to wrestle dirty or deliberately throw a "haymaker" arm chop against an opponents face or bone joints. Even worse was the jubilation, high-fives, and "good job boy!" comments that followed knowing that the opponent was injured. That did happen and numerous people were as appauled to witness it as I was. This sport is hanging on by a very thin thread and there's no room for this crap or for the officials that condone it. It takes the sport to a place I don't think the majority of us want it to go. Don't get me wrong as I received my share of bloody noses, cuts, bruises, stiches and broken bones from this sport. Part of the reason I loved it was because of how physically and mentally challenging it was. But in all my years I never had anyone deliberately try injure me with cheap shot or dirty move. And if an injury did occur, the opposing wrestler, coaches and fans always showed the utmost concern and respect. Something that was certainly lacking from one club. I'm proud to be associated with the Derby club, it's coaches, parents, fans and kids. Our kids don't win all there matches, heck they may not even win the majority of them, but down the road, later in life we all know which kids will be successful and which ones will be...we'll you can fill in your own conclusion here. Personally, I can't imagine being kicked out of my own hometown's club and having to form my own club. Nor can I imagine the majority of my hometown cheering when the "Heat gets beat" in their own gymnasium. That's got to be tough to swallow late at night staring at that silver medal. And Yes Lisa, you did get one thing right, Dickson did offer a hug to his injured opponent as it's alway easy to console your opponent after you've won or shattered their elbow. What was far more impressive was a Derby kid after having his elbow broken from a cheap shot, walk to the center of the mat and shake hands...that's called heart, courage, and character. By the way, how was Dickson's response to his Mulvane opponent who beat him in the finals? Finally, as the Dickson clan goes back to work on that college scholorship tomorrow, my son will undergo very painful reconstuctive elbow surgery and a lifetime of pins and screws in his bones courtesy of that "legal move." I guess the AC Heat can carve another notch in that gun barrel and then for the sake of this once great sport......Turn It Up.
Sleep well ~ WGACA
All4thekids

Re: sportsmanship #7972 01/06/04 06:52 AM
W
wrestlinfan Offline
W
Thanks Coach for another side of the story.
No I wasn't there, but from tournaments I've been to in the past, I know which story is in all likelihood the truth.
I always wondered why the Dicksons' where under a new name and now I know. Yes, it is evident that ACHeat train very hard but it is also evident that they lack sportsmanship. Sort of reminds me of another team from the Wichita area.
I have always noticed that there is one boy on their (ACHeat) team that is not as good. The coaches always treat him like a red-headed stepchild. Almost acting shameful when he loses. Kinda makes you wonder if he even wants to be out there, or if his mom is makin him work for his college money.I couldn't imagine being booed at my hometown. Oh, I'm sure the Dicksons' justify it by saying,"they are all just jealous of our success." But most people don't like the bulliness, cockiness, jumpin on the edge of the mat like a pitbull. My son has made many friends from all over the state. He even talks to the wrestlers he's competeing against. Ever wonder why noone is talkin to the Dickson boys before and after their matches? Maybe cuz noone wants to be around them cuz they are not out there for the fun of the sport. The are out their to get their college money even if it is at the expense of another competitors broken arm.
Coach I hope your boys arm recovers and is able to meet him another day and beat him. Only he will do it legit, and not have to resort to an, "at all costs," mentality.

Re: sportsmanship #7973 01/06/04 11:53 AM
wrestlingparents Offline
This is such a bad situation, but let's not forget that this is something that is not typical in kids wrestling. That is one of the things I really like about this sport, everywhere we go, the kids make friends. Other than these few situations, I am proud to be part of kids wrestling.

I send out my thoughts with the wrestler that got injuried. Hurry back, I am sure you will be missed!!

Re: sportsmanship #7974 01/06/04 01:22 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
Such a sad story. Coach, I hope your son is alright, has a quick recovery, and is able to resume wrestling. Some parent/coaches will justify any behavior of their kids - they need to wake up and realize the life leasons they are teaching these kids.

Re: sportsmanship #7975 01/06/04 01:25 PM
wrestlingparents Offline
By the way, what age and weight divisions do these boys wrestle?

Re: sportsmanship #7976 01/06/04 09:16 PM
S
soonerdad Offline
S
I saw the AC Heat at Derby lined up around the mats the ones in the stands standing up yelling Heat Heat Heat. Go look at the Oklahoma youth talk forum and they are are sick of the Heat's sportsmanship after a few tournaments.

Re: sportsmanship #7977 01/07/04 01:08 AM
K
K-state fan Offline
K
Hi DJWcoach i have a couple of questions if you dont mind. Is your son Dylan Hagerman? What wrestler broke his arm at the derby tourny? Which one of the Dickson boys was it that was in the accident? What move did he do it in? Thanks a lot.

Re: sportsmanship #7978 01/07/04 03:24 AM
E
Ebudae Offline
E
Lisa, keep repeating to yourself enough times that the AC Heat is an upstanding group with high standards and good morals and someday maybe it might come true> probably about the same time the fella with the horns, tail, and pitchfork gets frostbite.

My family is very new to the sport of wrestling. I dont understand alot of what goes on. I definetly dont understand why the area clubs allow this sort of behavior to continue nor do I understand why everyone is so afraid to take a stand. Everyone is so worried these days about being "PC". What will it take...some child getting their neck broke before clubs start to take a stand and not allow the heat to continue their total disregard for the rules.

The Dickson boys are really good athletes and would probably win without the showboating, and blood and guts win at all (and I mean all) costs attitude. Its unfortunate that their parents are teaching them a way of life that will get them nowhere but in trouble.

News flash: Even if your the greatest wrestler of all time. No coach, No school, No club wants to be associated with a dirty athlete with no sense of sportsmanship...whats the parents going to do start their own college so they have a team willing to accept them?

Re: sportsmanship #7979 01/07/04 04:21 AM
G
Go Big Green Offline
G
Last time I checked, which as earlier this year, the wall in the Ark City gym had more State Championships and Ark Valley Championships on it than anywhere in the state. So why would a group of parents, and coaches, be running around telling people they left the original club because they don't know what they are doing. Evidentally they haven't read that most of Ark City's Junior Wrestling Club coaching staffs names are on the wall of "CHAMPIONS". Those are the same people I wrestled from the time I was 6 and still love to see them on the weekends coahing kids!!!! Don't ruin the sport, we have a hard enough time keeping it together as it is!! Cheap shots is'nt wrestling, cheap is just plain cheap*****

Re: sportsmanship #7980 01/07/04 02:29 PM
W
wrestlinfan Offline
W
You must also be an idiot Big Green. Noone is questioning the number of championships or the quality of wrestling coming out of Ark City. But unfortunately you have a couple of bad apples in the bunch.

"Cheap shots is'nt wrestling, cheap is just plain cheap***** ,"

Since when is breaking a kids arm wrestling. We don't care if you grew up with these coaches. The fact of the matter is, these coaches no nothing of sportsmanship. And noone said That they left the club but instead were forced out of the club.

HHmmmmm! Why were you forced out? Not cuz you were good wrestlers.

"But my name is on the Wall of Champions in the gym."

Who gives a ****

Learn some sportsmanship. There are great wrestlers all over the state. And I can think of many that show class.

Re: sportsmanship #7981 01/07/04 02:41 PM
B
bdisney Offline
B
Wrestling fan I think you either misunderstood Big Green's message or don't understand the situation. Ark City now has two wrestling clubs: The Ark City Takedown Club (which is the original club that has been around for years) and a new club called the AC Heat. As I understood Big Green's comments he/she was simply saying people from the AC Heat shouldn't be telling everyone they left the Ark City Takedown Club b/c the Ark City Takedown Club doesn't know what they are doing. He then cites the fact that most of the coaches from the Ark City Takedown Club were champions (or at least wrestlers) with Ark City High School, which is a very respected program. I don't think anything Big Green said should be taken to conclude that the Ark City Take Down Club condones cheap shots. His point (as I understand it) was that cheap shots could ruin the sport of wrestling and that any club (be it AC Heat or whoever) is preaching that then they need to stop. This is a point that I feel cannot be made strongly enough - thus my reply. (And by the way if I am right and you simply misunderstood then you do have the ability to either edit or delete your previous post)

Re: sportsmanship #7982 01/07/04 03:03 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Here we go, my name is attached to my post, and for most folks at the Derby tournament this last weekend you should know who the coach / dad is. He is one of the head coaches for the club and a great guy. Here is what I know, yesterday I saw the young man come out of the surgery room, I went with most of the club last night to visit him and deliver cards and gifts. This young man is a fine young man who I have yet heard complain about pain or the match even though the surgery was major and the recovery will be difficult, and in some ways long term or possibly even life long due to the inevitable scaring that will occur on the joint itself. It was not an arm, it was an elbow joint. I also watched a video of the match for the first time last night. Whoever said that the blow was not illegal did not see the same video I saw. I don't know the kids from AC Heat nor the club. I do know that when you cock a fist up above your head and are watching the whole time that fist coming down as hard as you can on the outside of the elbow joint with all of the force you can that is a dirty and uncalled for technique.

For everyone who knows me you know that I expect my son to wrestle hard, and tough, but within the rules. I know the father and coach of this young man and unfortunately we were talking about this very thing prior to the start of our tournament, we even spoke about the need to watch out for what we had heard about this club, again prior to the tournament. What happened to this young wrestler with our club I believe should be reviewed by a committee of Kansas wrestling to see about disciplinary action for this club and this wrestler if this is the technique that the club commonly uses or teaches. In my years of wrestling it is the dirtiest cheap shot I have ever seen. Now if you have issues with that, many will know who I am and I encourage you to come talk to me about it at a tournament. I hope the dad provides me a mpeg file that I can post on my web site so other clubs, coaches and officials can see for themselves this "questionable" or according to som "legal" blow. People have talked for some time about being able to catch something like this on video, well we now have it, including the praise of the club after the blow. So much for sportsmanship! One thing I learned about bullies a long time ago, it is time the rest of us let them know we aren’t putting up with it anymore. If the authorities that govern Kansas wrestling allow this type of behavior to continue, it is time we establish and find new authorities.

Re: sportsmanship #7983 01/07/04 03:18 PM
L
LegRider Offline
L
Yes Mike, I think a video for all to see is a great idea. Then people can see for themselves. My son is in the same weight class that this happened and it worries me as to what junk they may pull to win - at any cost.

Let us know if your able get that video. Thanks!

Re: sportsmanship #7984 01/07/04 03:26 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I can't promise anything about that and want to be clear it is up to the dad and I know that I would have questions if it was my son. I also know this, I don't want to put up anything that is going to hurt the sport so if I do it will be a hidden link posted just for Kansas wrestling or possibly authorities making the call. It is a bad enough blow that for new wrestlers it would cause their parents to think about being involved. Thanks AC Heat for that! I'll leave it at that for now and let you know if it happens. Personally if my son is wrestling one of these kids I must resort to one of two options, either have him wrestle dirty, which he never has and I don't think I would allow, or not wrestle at all with the option of realizing that a forfeit is not as bad as a potential injury. Of course another option is for clubs to require serious proof that things have changed before allowing them into their tournaments.

Re: sportsmanship #7985 01/07/04 03:29 PM
C
CONCERNED GRANDMOTHER Offline
C
I was very appalled, frustrated, disappointed, and angered at the event taken place at the Derby Wrestling meet, to watch certain children demonstrate such unacceptable sportsmanship and behavior. It is sad to watch this one particular child using an illegal move to hurt another child, just so he could win. Well, in my opinion, he is the biggest loser. He'll never be a winner, because he really don't know what it means to win honestly, with real skill and sportsmanship.
I do blame the coaches. For, it is them, who teaches these children to hurt other children, just for the sake of winning. What I don't uderstand, is, why in the world, this club "AC HEAT", is still allowed to participate in these wrestling meets? What does it take, to ban this kind of activity and bad behavior? Are you all waiting for more innocent children to get seriously hurt, or even killed? When a child, after being told, he broke his opponents arm, laughs, and responds with "so?? what about it?", and shows absolutely no remorse, I think it is time to do something about it, namely refuse these children to participate in any wrestling activity. This at least would prevent other children get hurt. These innocent children deserve better. I have watched many children, and see a sparkle in their eyes, after they've given their best , win or lose, without using "cheap shots".
And one last thing. How about the referee? I still have not figured out, whether he is incompetent, or just plain ignorant, to allow this to happen, and not disqualifying the child, that intentionnally hurt another human being. He just shrugged his shoulders, as if to say " S... HAPPENS". It was a very sad day for many of us, having to watch such terrible tragedy. I pray for the boy, that his arm will heal proper, so he can use it in a normal way.

Re: sportsmanship #7986 01/07/04 04:17 PM
T
TomG Offline
T
I was not involved in any way with this incident. In fact, all I know is what I have read here. There are a few reasons that an official might have not seen the move as illegal. First, he may have been out of position. As stated earlier, even on tape, one official thought it was a legal move. Being out of position does not make an official incompetant. Second, he may have had his attention focused on another part of the body looking at something else. As for tournaments not includuing the AC Heat team, we as parents can influence that. There are multiple tournaments put on every weekend around the state. If people chose other options than tournaments that include AC Heat, the tournament director would have no choice but to decline entries from that club.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 118 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)