Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Helping at home #135686 01/15/09 01:22 AM
2bentleymom Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone have read most of the post on moves and what to teach young wrestlers and I have to say I am new to this part of wrestling..I was a wrestlerette or mat maid whatever they call them now and I can keep score and cheer with the best of em..But I cant really teach my kids moves or practice to much with them at home and I look to my 8 year old to teach what he learns to his younger siblings. I would love to work with them and get more involved with moves and learning how to do them and what to do to counter them..The headlock gets my son everytime he knows what it is but doesnt know how to do it or how to get out of it or counter it..He has wreslted Kolten Meditz who I read from his dad he loves to throw the headlock and I can attest to that my son has wrestled him twice this year already and has got caught in his headlock and lost both times..If anyone has any suggestions on videos or websites or can even send me info by email on any moves or counters or where I can find info on them to better myself and to help my son reach his potential I hate feeling like he can excel so much more and I not doing anything to help him..Also his dad applied for a coaches card and has never wrestled in his life and we have only been around for 3 years so any coaches have any advice to help him out please we are open to all and any suggestions Thanks

Cara J. Bentley
Re: Helping at home [Re: 2bentleymom] #135706 01/15/09 02:26 AM
G
Ginny Wagh Offline
G
Cara,

Is your son affiliated with a club? If so, talk to those coaches. Also, being a former wrestler, you may want to contact those who run the women's area of the web-site. They may be able to guide you better in the area of coaching and working on moves you may be able to work on with your son and other children.

Last edited by Ginny Wagh; 01/15/09 02:28 AM. Reason: grammer

Ginny Wagh
KCWC in Maryland

Re: Helping at home [Re: Ginny Wagh] #135709 01/15/09 02:42 AM
2bentleymom Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes my son is with ECKW and the coaches there are wonderful and do help alot but I am just seeing what other coaches and clubs and people have to offer after reading all the post it seems everyone does things differently and that is good I like the diversity the problem is when in a club you are at the mercy of what they teach and i just want to see whats out there see what is all the things we can learn and thrive on and use we are still young with alot of time left to learn but you can never have to much knowledge..My daughter will be goin to practice with the Krusaders and they are going to help us too so I have the clubs behind me just curious what others are doin and what they think and do to get their wrestlers ready for any situation..Thanks for your suggestions

Cara J. Bentley
Re: Helping at home [Re: 2bentleymom] #135710 01/15/09 02:50 AM
K
klintdeere Offline
K
some great resources out there on the web and the net. when my son was little i had him email or write some coaches such as gable and j. rob with questions, got a lot of responses and it was fun to do stuff like that

Re: Helping at home [Re: klintdeere] #135715 01/15/09 04:25 AM
lynseywebb Offline
flowrestling.com has great videos on drills, conditioning, and need to know moves and ones to stay away from...

Last edited by Believe; 01/15/09 04:25 AM.
Re: Helping at home [Re: lynseywebb] #135719 01/15/09 04:59 AM
nix Offline
youtube has a alot on there site they have drills , moves counter moves just about every move you can think of. you can find most anything you need on there.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Helping at home [Re: nix] #135735 01/15/09 03:02 PM
R
ravincan Offline
R
www.flowwrestling.com also a great site

Re: Helping at home [Re: ravincan] #135740 01/15/09 03:45 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
Cara, I think you are gettting some good ideas, I would like to give some advice. Of course its a great idea to work with your child at home after all basicly your just spending time with your kid and thats what its all about right. If you didn't wrestle? Take a notebook to practice and write down what the coaches say just like they say it and pay careful attention, because you can do damage even with good intentions. Practice does not make perfect PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. So just be careful I use the one on one time to cover the little things I saw him doing during practice and the coach didn't see and correct its impossible for them to see everything. Make it up to him or her do not force it they have to want to and don't be upset if they don't want to. Lastly what we like to do if my son gets caught in a move or beaten by a kid by doing some certain move. We learn how to defend the move our do the move ourselves and when we wrestle someone again we are prepared. But we're nuts

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Helping at home [Re: hotrodder54] #135767 01/15/09 07:12 PM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
Hi Cara, just wanted to share our experience with you. Kolton is in his 4th yr of wrestling with the Jr Vikings out of Topeka. Our head coach as well as our director are very good at teaching and working with our kids on counters for moves that they have been "caught in" during tournaments. In Koltons 2nd yr he was very violently introduced to the headlock from a standing position and it hurt him a little, but scared him ALOT. He didn't want to wrestle anymore after that match where he had been thrown so hard. As a parent and Dad/Coach I knew we needed to get the fear under control A.S.A.P.
We at our club don't work the headlock for any other reason then to learn the various counters. I am forever telling Kolton "stay off the head" and for the most part he has. He is really starting to build up a toolbox of moves to use.
I would suggest that you make notes at matches or review video with Deric to show missed oppurtunities as well as highlight his well executed moves. Talk to his coaches about addressing counters for moves that he has had used on him and you will see improvement.
I have learned over the yrs to video some of the studs in our bracket and go over the video with Kolton on Friday nights. It has helped keep him out of a few potentially bad situations.
Good luck to Deric and we will look forward to seeing you guys in the weeks to come. Deric always gives us a good match.

koltons_dad
Re: Helping at home [Re: mmeditz] #135791 01/16/09 02:39 AM
2bentleymom Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Everyone for your great suggestions...I did mention the headlock today at practice and we all agreed that we have seen it even coming out in the 6 and under class. Deric always likes to find his matches and study them before a match he has a thing where he has to see them and know who they are..Its weird but if thats what he wants..I believe they wrestle to have fun and enjoy the sport I do not want my kids to get burned out or have fear of anyone or any move I just want them to be ready for any situaiton so they dont get the fear that Kolten had..He did learn some counter moves and that is what the club worked on today so we will see how well he listned on Saturday..thanks for the compliment on Deric..He has a thing where he will watch the kids in his bracket and see what they do and what they like to do such as going for head or right at whistle goin in for takedown and he gets pretty good at it we also like to see how a kid we wrestle matched up to a kid we have already wrestled He is very dedicated for his young age and I am so proud of him and my daughter Leea..Thanks for all your suggestions and I will see all of you In Manhattan

Cara J. Bentley

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Chase, Coach Malay), 173 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)