Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? #138426 02/07/09 04:34 PM
J
jhbmlbx2 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Back in the day I remember kansas kids wrestling. It was free to sign up for a team. It cost the parents nothing to go to turnys, except gas and time. So as a Coach and wanting to grow the sport of wrestling Why does it cost so much?? As a parent I have other bills my 30$ every weekend could go. I know it is my choice when/where my children can wrestle but it does add up. Every year you must pay USAW for your kids and coach card then pay someone to do a background check on you (though I agree with it). I know if you talk with your club they can help you out.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: jhbmlbx2] #138434 02/07/09 10:56 PM
S
southkscatfan Offline
S
Medals and Referees don't come for free

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: southkscatfan] #138444 02/07/09 11:33 PM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
Neither do gym rental, club singlets, insurance through USA Wrestling, et cetera.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: DamonParker] #138455 02/08/09 12:33 AM
S
southkscatfan Offline
S
You oughta see what it cost to play competetive baseball on a traveling team. About $600-1000 a season plus funraisers.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: DamonParker] #138457 02/08/09 12:39 AM
J
jhbmlbx2 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Ok agree but $15 times 500 = $7500 plus consessions ect. It cannot cost that much to rent gyms pay refs ect.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: jhbmlbx2] #138465 02/08/09 01:19 AM
F
FishFood Offline
F
It all depends upon how you look at it. I've got a daughter in gymnastics who is in an elite level training program. The per month costs equals two car payments (and not Yugos).

I've got another daughter who is mediocre at rec-level soccer. I wouldn't think of depriving her of her fun anymore than I would my son from wrestling or my other daughter from gymnastics.

Bottom line: when we signed up for the egg/sperm thing, we also signed up for sacrifices. Let our kids chase their dreams, however big or small. If I have to eat baloney in my lunch, I'll get by with a single slice to make my kids happy.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: jhbmlbx2] #138466 02/08/09 01:20 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
The money that clubs make by hosting a tournament is important to their continued existence. The proceeds usually go back into a club fund that takes care of expenses that most people don't see. I guarantee that no one in the program is pocketing this money. The alternative to raising club funds is the same as every other youth, Jr High and High School sport (or band, chess club, spirit squad, etc.), having your kids out selling popcorn, discount cards, pancake feeds, car washes and other fund raising activities that most of us don't enjoy. One way or another, you have to "pay to play". Hopefully, in the long run, for many of these youngsters, it pay off from the life's lessons that they will learn (competition, hard work, perseverance, integrity, discipline, and the list goes on and on).

Lee Girard
Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: ReDPloyd] #138470 02/08/09 02:12 AM
Michael Rockhold Sr. Offline
Just to throw my two cents in here, I was a member of Kansas Kids way back in the mid 70's. I went to every tournament possible and also made it to the State Tournament 5 times undefeated. I can remember my mom sacrificing things just to pay for tournaments and to take me to all those different places all over the state back then. As far as I know, it was one of the most expensive sports way back then and I don't think that part has changed.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: jhbmlbx2] #138473 02/08/09 02:51 AM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline
J
Check with your local school district and see what they will rent the facility to you for.

Dont forget to include prep time in all of the rooms you need...

Kitchen, FACS Room(Home-Ec type room)for hospitality, Commons, Gymnasium, Wrestling Room, Computer room.(Nearly $2,000.00)

Then dont forget to include the school district personnel to supervise the kitchen. Custodians, no less than 2 for the entire day, plus 1 hour pre, and 1 hour post for prep and clean-up.

Referees($3000.00+), Paramedic, Security, Medals, Wall Brackets, Many other things too numerous to mention.

If I gave all the figures you would still say, "it cant cost that much!"

Really, stop and think about why many of our clubs do this. It is to give your kids an opportunity to compete, and hopefully get better each and every week.

And then, some of us actually hurt our net profit by offering a split format. In doing so we miss out on half the breakfast sales and half the lunch sales so many of those families can get in and out as quickly as possible, so they wont complain about having to sit in a hot gym all day long.

If you were part of my club I would sit down with you and give you the actual numbers, just so you could see why it does cost what it does.

BTW, money made from our tourney actually helps several kids as they continue on in the qualifying series. And for those special few that do make it to District and State, we as a club actually pay their entry fees and hotel costs, making it less expensive for them.

Jeff Broadbent - MVWC

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138478 02/08/09 03:34 AM
P
Packerholic4 Offline
P
well put Jeff

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: Packerholic4] #138490 02/08/09 07:10 AM
J
jafo14 Offline
J
Back in the day, you didn't need the insurance that you need now. As a coach, if you show a move on a kid and he gets hurt, if you're not covered you and you're club are S.O.L.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138493 02/08/09 11:02 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Jeff Broadbent
Check with your local school district and see what they will rent the facility to you for.

Dont forget to include prep time in all of the rooms you need...

Kitchen, FACS Room(Home-Ec type room)for hospitality, Commons, Gymnasium, Wrestling Room, Computer room.(Nearly $2,000.00)

Then dont forget to include the school district personnel to supervise the kitchen. Custodians, no less than 2 for the entire day, plus 1 hour pre, and 1 hour post for prep and clean-up.

This is why all clubs should attempt to establish better relationships with their school districts and administrators. If our club had to pay any of the fees you describe here I would be voting for selling candy bars instead of hosting a tournament.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: sportsfan02] #138504 02/08/09 01:22 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
It cost rossville $3700 dollars for new singlets & we still have a few kids that didnt get one. All money goes to the kids. Mats are very expensive. Our club needs every penny we get from concessions & entrys. Thanks to all who have supported our wrestling club over the years.

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: sportsfan02] #138538 02/08/09 09:55 PM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline
J
sportsfan02,

We have a very good relationship with our school district and administration..

The fact that all school budgets are tight would obviously be a reason that schools have to charge for the use of their facilities.

Jeff

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138540 02/08/09 10:06 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Correction Jeff, OUR facilities.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: doug747] #138552 02/08/09 11:58 PM
W
win by pin Offline
W
You could always have a chewing tobacco fundraiser

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: win by pin] #138560 02/09/09 12:24 AM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline
J
Doug,

Correct, "our" facilities, but the schools are on a tight budget, as are many other households and businesses, for that matter.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: Packerholic4] #138638 02/09/09 02:53 PM
REVOLUTION Offline
Unfortunatly wrestling like baseball has become a "rich man's" sport. Entry fees are still cheap enough. It's all the other things such as meals and gas and the Walmart stop at the end of the day that adds up.
When we were chasing around the state EVERY tournament was at least an hour away from home. Then at the end of his Kids seasons we were traveling an hour just to practice with some better kids. We car pooled with 2 other parents. Midway through the 2nd year we started packing lunches and drinks and didn't go to any stores or resturants on the way back home. Developed a budget, and basicaly managed or sons events better. Saved us a ton of cash. Wrestling is a journey and a huge parental commitment (time & money). The more miles you put on a kid early (under 10) the better he will be later.(opinion)
Another suggestion is to pick out the tournaments you realy want to compete in. You realy don't have to go to every tournament.
If you are better only go to the big tourneys. If you are starting out or not as good attend the smaller local tournaments and tell your kid that "If you do well here -then we will take you there". This will give your kid some insentive to progress to the larger tougher tournamnets. And allow you to cost effectivly manage your wrestler.
These are just some suggestions-hope they help!

COWBOY UP!
Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138640 02/09/09 03:10 PM
lane hamm Offline
Well I must put my 2 cents in on this topic. To the opening comment on this subject, You must not be very involved with your club as far as tournament goes, or you would know all the cost associated with such. I help start a club a few years again and within the club we decided to have a fundraiser that we called for the kids. I beleive it was selling the casey's pizza cards, you sell them for $10 and club get $5 and the other $5 goes back to casey's. This is how it works if Sam sold 20 cards - thats $100 profit. The 100 went into club money, however on a tracking sheet Sam's starting balance is $100, lets say sam wants to go to parsons tournament entry fee is $15, that 15 comes off the $100. At each time money is deducted the parent has to sign, and will always know how much is the account for their child. We only allow the money to be used for tournament entry fee's. Any left over money at the end of the season is the club's. We don't carry it over from year to year. This money not only helps the parents but also helps out the club. And your club can choose to let parents use it for club shirts, pictures, whatever the club decides. We have since are with another club, and got this club to do this also. If any club would like more info on this just let me know, I would be glad to help.

Re: Why does wrestling have to cost so much??? [Re: Packerholic4] #138709 02/09/09 08:45 PM
Beeson Offline
Bump

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 177 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)