Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Cokeley] #141493 02/28/09 05:40 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
[quote=Shelstin]
Trust me, the current high school system is running off good, young officials. There is a much longer line than you guys are portraying on here. The vets don't want to let go and without a merit rating system, mentoring, and evaluating the situation will not improve.

***Trust Don King?! Are you kidding me?! ;-)

Merit rating, mentoring and evaluating all sound good. Just to be Devil's advocate - how and who is going to pay for all of the above? Especially with funding cuts to ed this year and in years to come?

I want to be a part of a solution, not a part of the problem.

***Understood. But, don't you see some validity to the point that young refs get burned out fast from non-stop abuse from coaches, parents, fans?

What expectations do we have for these refs? Perfection? Of course not.

How many matches are really 'determined' by a refs poor call? Subjective. No one knows.

But, if funds can be generated for a merit system, mentoring and evaluating AND fans can be more respectful - I'm all for your ideas.

It is not an either/or -- its a BOTH/AND solution.

I'm sure we have all sat next to some idiot yelling and screaming at a ref when we know that the ref made the right call and the clueless fan has no idea what he/she is ranting and raving about. . .

BOTH/AND solution is needed. Cokeley's merit, mentoring and evaluating -- PLUS, fans not acting like little gods that know all and see all, when the average fan doesn't have a clue.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Dean Welsh] #141501 02/28/09 08:23 PM
D
Defref Offline
D
Two different topics going on here...one high school officials and the other is kids' officials.

The Kansas system for allocating assignments at the high school level is unfair, but unless there is a lottery system or draw system put in place where all officials get an equal shot at the assignments its going to stay that way. Way too much money is involved for guys to give up and share their dates, especially those two day tournaments where they make $200 a day. There's no oversight now and unless the state requires it, no one at the local level is going to support or enforce any such system. There are officials that suck up to coaches/assigners/ADs to get assignments and I know they also "double book" dates and then swap those dates with their buddies.....its crooked, its unfair, and its unethical....but when there's money involved and no one guarding the henhouse, the foxes have a field day...

Kids is a different deal...my opinion is that kids officiating is the toughest there is....I did a couple kids' tournaments, years ago, as a favor when there was a shortage of officials. I wouldn't do one today if you paid me $500. Too much crazy yelling, ranting, and raving on small mats in close quarters by people who have no business being anywhere near a mat. Dad and mom "coaches" who are fervant fans but don't know a lick about the rules. Parents and coaches verbally abusing little kids because they didn't win a match....And of course the kids are the innocent bystanders in all this fuss. If we were being fair to our young officials, we'd have them start out in middle school matches or JV, not kids'. It takes a pretty mentally-tough person to handle it...and by the posts above, even ex-wrestlers, who by definition have proved they are special and mentally tough, won't put up with it.

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Defref] #141508 02/28/09 09:26 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
Good points

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: J Murdock] #141526 03/01/09 01:50 AM
Stevie08 Offline
Originally Posted By: J Murdock
Originally Posted By: dwelsh
Originally Posted By: gggregory
Its a travesty when Plott clearly won at 125. However more parents coaches and other wrestlers commented on the poor officiating in the plott nitcher match

I didn't see the match. Apparently you did. I see no one else on this forum complaining about that match's outcome. Maybe you had a high personal stake in the match and it clouded YOUR vision? Something to ponder.

If you care to - please tell how the refs 'blew it'.

Dean

Dean

I didn't see the match either, but my son did and he said Plott clearly had tilted Nitcher for what appeared to be 3 or 4 seconds.

Jason Murdock

I did happen to see that match, not but 10 feet from the mat. About thirty seconds remaining, Nitcher on top and ahead by a point, Plott gets in a scramble situation that puts him behind Nitcher. Nitcher had a grab on Plott's leg, while Plott had his other leg hooked behind Nitcher. Plott had a secure crossface locked on the far tricep, with control and a leg hooked behind Nitchers. According the the rule book, Plott had a reversal and the victory.

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Stevie08] #141544 03/01/09 03:12 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Interesting. Thank you Jason and Stevie for the details about the match.

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Dean Welsh] #141737 03/01/09 10:20 PM
D
Defref Offline
D
Everybody these days film their matches, it seems. And its easy to post it on You Tube...so get the match, post it, and then let folks here know when its posted so we can watch it and determine where the bad calls were. Without some video, it just seems like sour grapes...

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Defref] #141744 03/01/09 10:32 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Yeah, but even with videos - you better have a lot of experience and a RULEBOOK beside are you are still a clueless, ranting fan most of the time.

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: shwrestlingmom] #141868 03/02/09 03:05 AM
O
Official1 Offline
O
Originally Posted By: shwrestlingmom
How are the refs chosen for the state tournament?

The assignment of officials for Regionals and State tournaments is based on the KSHSAA member schools recomendations for officials for current season matches. In addition, priority and first consideration will be given to the officials who have met the following standards.

A. Attended one KSHSAA Wrestling Rules Meeting.
B. Scored 90% or above on rules test.
C. Attended the two Area Supervisors Meetings.

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Cokeley] #141878 03/02/09 03:27 AM
O
Official1 Offline
O
[quote=Cokeley][quote=Shelstin]I can give you a list of 25 officials who should have been doing HS post season and state but are not "in the system".

Of the list of 25 officials who should have been doing HS post season that you know, how many have met the required criteria set by the state stated in the post above? The criteria set by the state is the minimum requirement to ensure knowledge of rules, changes, and registration of the official.

Though you may think the selection process is inadequate, it is fair. The coaches choose the officials through a voting process. Every state post season selection process has its flaws. You can visit any wrestling forum and hear/view the complaints.

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Official1] #142080 03/03/09 12:26 AM
D
Defref Offline
D
Define "fair"

Re: how are refs chosen for state [Re: Defref] #142088 03/03/09 01:12 AM
WillyM Offline
After 30 plus years coaching youth sports--basket ball, FB, base ball, and soccer--all in rec and competitive clubs, and the parent/coach of a very good HS wrestler and soccer player, I can probably count on 3 fingers the number of quote quote "bad calls" that turned around a sports event. 3 may be too many, but life is a bitch and then you die. This past fall was my son's first year as a Kansas HS soccer ref. His assignor only had him work freshmen and JV games. But, screaming a-- h---s, parents and others, on the side lines, who do not know the rules or understand the game, made it less than an enjoyable experience. I hope he continues to ref, but for now he is undecided.

Give the guys in the stripped dshirts a break. being a ref, an ump is not easy. No one is getting rich doing this. Why do they do it. They like the games, they want to stay active, and yes it is an income supplement. I have not seen any refs driving Lexus or BMWs.

Bill Mason Lansing
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)