Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
wichita classless move #142846 03/08/09 01:47 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am referring to the poll taken at the coaches meeting to do away with the parade of champions (that every kid in the building that has been to the classic and made the parade was looking forward too). This is a kids sport and I understand wanting to change the format and get out sooner but you do not do it the day of when all the kids are expecting it. To poll the coaches and say that they are the reason the tournament is there is bull, the tournament is there because of the kids, and it is supposed to be for the kids.

Before i get prosecuted i know how many coaches are giving their time for the sport for free, My point is we all expected the parade and were already in for that on our schedules today, if you want to make that change have some class and put it on your flier for next year. just my opinion

Mike Pirl

Re: wichita classless move [Re: bubbasmom77] #142848 03/08/09 02:02 AM
T
Takealookatthat Offline
T
I for one was glad they did away with the parade!!! The Wichita Classic is not a qualifying tournament..The parade's for state, "where it really counts.." I thought the tournament was ran very well with very good competition...

Re: wichita classless move [Re: bubbasmom77] #142850 03/08/09 02:03 AM
R
Roost Offline
R
I think the choice not to have the parade was fine- we got out of there earlier and really-is the parade really for the kids or the parents?

Re: wichita classless move [Re: Roost] #142856 03/08/09 03:19 AM
K
KansasMom Offline
K
i believe the parade is for the kids and i seen kids crying over not having the parade and other kids who have never placed at park city who finally made it just to have the parade taken away from them. i personally would give up one hour of my time to see my child happy. i think next year we may go somewhere else.

Re: wichita classless move [Re: KansasMom] #142859 03/08/09 03:28 AM
R
RYLANT Offline
R
I agree it would be nice to leave early but even without the parade we were out after 5:30! the flier stated finals and the kids were expecting it. I know it is not a qualifying tourney but it is supposed to be of national stature. Why are we paying $30 for a tourney that is just like every other tournament! I know I know it is all about the competition right?!? Then why is Salina only $20 and our bracket was 4 times as big(literally). My kid picks what tournaments we go to and he was definately upset about no finals today. They could have just shortened them or made them earlier. Next time let the kids pick!:)

Re: wichita classless move [Re: RYLANT] #142863 03/08/09 03:38 AM
J. Dale Offline
we went to hays- 20$, nicer venue, great competition, better officiating, nice awards, out by 5 (and had one of the last matches of the day), hospitality room (although i don't know what they had in it as i didn't have a chance to go in), after going there i would never even consider any other tourny that weekend it was definitely worth the drive. plus the kids had the overnight deal and swimming.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: wichita classless move [Re: J. Dale] #142870 03/08/09 04:16 AM
B
Bob Miller Offline
B
I agree Never went to the Wichita tourney but Hays was great.The trophies were the nicest of the year the competition was great it was a great tourney we will go back

Re: wichita classless move [Re: Bob Miller] #142871 03/08/09 04:32 AM
Cokeley Offline
The Kids State Tournament has a parade of placers/champions. Encourage the wrestlers to work hard and save the parade for THE big event of the year.

I was not in Wichita (more below) but EVERYONE I talked to was elated that there was no giant break and parade in Wichita. KC area parents actually got home at a decent hour. The officials loved it too!

I was in Hays. Gross Memorial Coliseum is second to none for a regular season event. I would love to see us break up the state tournament and have 6,8,10 (and maybe 12's) at Gross. Support Kansas' only D2 program! Hats off to Brian Schumacher and crew!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: wichita classless move [Re: Cokeley] #142883 03/08/09 11:53 AM
B
birddog Offline
B
I heard that the Park City - Wichita Classic will be held @ the new Hartman Arena next year. Maybe the Hays crew could come and run it, then their would be no competition between the 2 tournaments. Why are those 2 tournaments held on the same weekend anyhow? Is someone trying to be a hard head. Maybe one of the tournaments could be held early in the season, then Kansas could have 3 non-conflictual "bigger" tournaments every year. One tournie in the early season - one mid-season - one late season.

Re: wichita classless move [Re: KansasMom] #142892 03/08/09 12:23 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Unfortunately, if you have ever been at the Wichita Classic it is not just another hour, it is the break, lining the kids up and announcing every kid who is wrestling for 3-4th place as well as 1-2nd place. I would say all in all it adds a few hours to the tournament. I didn't hear anyone who was upset about the decision.

I am in agreement with Will Cokeley (and that doesn't happen often does it Will ;)) have your kid work hard and get to State to be part of not only the parade of clubs but hopefully the parade of champions.

I for one am looking forward to the change in venue next year.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: wichita classless move [Re: Cokeley] #142897 03/08/09 01:06 PM
Cyclone Offline
Although we were unable to attend either tournament, I know my wrestlers would have been disappointed without the parade at the Classic. I am not aware of what occurs during the break between the last qualifying match and the parade, (probably many things) maybe that time frame needs to be shortened.

In response to Mr. Cokeley's thought about breaking up the state tournament to have some ages at Gross Memorial Coliseum and some in Topeka, IMO that could never happen. There are too many wrestling families with wrestlers in different age divisions that qualify for state. We would have been traveling in two different directions for state.

Birddog's idea about three good size tournaments at different times is great. Hays, Salina and Park City. (Especially if the Classic is going to be held at another venue).

-Chris

Live YOUR life, not the life others want you to live.
Re: wichita classless move [Re: Cyclone] #142899 03/08/09 01:25 PM
A
aj75 Offline
A
The parade was never really that great! All the kids gathered at the end of the mat looking like they had no idea what to do! I have to agree that a parade of champions is only for state! Had a kid in the finals and was out by 2! Less time smelling cow stuff! How many people complaining are doing so because their kids were upset, or because they wanted it?????

Andrea Llamas
Newton
Re: wichita classless move [Re: aj75] #142906 03/08/09 02:47 PM
R
Roost Offline
R
in response to salina comparison- they wrestle out to 6th place were the classic did not- all big tournaments were you only have one bracket should had out awards to 6th- 32 man bracket and only 4 placers- dissapointing

Re: wichita classless move [Re: aj75] #142912 03/08/09 03:10 PM
Cyclone Offline
Do the parents or the kids wrestle? The parade/finals are for the kids. It is more than just the parade and having your name announced. It was an accomplishment for the wrestler to be in the finals at the Classic.

Sure many brackets were completed early yesterday, some weren't. Regardless of where the classic has been held, wrestlers still come year after year. I believe the draw was the level of competition and the finals. It certainly wasn't the aroma that brought everyone back year after year.

Have people complained about the parade/finals in the past? (I don't know, I am sure they have.) I think what the original post was implying was how eliminating the whole parade/finals process was handled.

-Chris

Live YOUR life, not the life others want you to live.
Re: wichita classless move [Re: Cyclone] #142913 03/08/09 03:29 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Cyclone, that is exactly what I was saying. I can assure that I did not come home and cry about not having to spend another 100 bucks while watching the parade and finals wrestling. When you do something for so long and the kids come to expect it you dont just yank it from them. As of now could careless if this event was held in Madison Square Gardens and they added the pareade again, we will not attend again.

Re: wichita classless move [Re: Roost] #142940 03/08/09 07:56 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Roost
in response to salina comparison- they wrestle out to 6th place were the classic did not- all big tournaments were you only have one bracket should had out awards to 6th- 32 man bracket and only 4 placers- dissapointing

Are you kidding me 6th should get an award. That means you got beat out (double elimination), wait 6th actually gets beat 3X. Who should get an award for getting beat 3X in the same day. Bunch of bleeding hearts, make the kids feel good, don't make them earn anything. This is what is wrong with wrestling these days...everyone should get an AWARD. PLEASE.

Side note: I personally don't think there should be a parade of champions at state either. Let's do what we came to do...WRESTLE.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/08/09 07:58 PM.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: wichita classless move [Re: Beeson] #143010 03/09/09 06:49 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
There was a time when the Classics was a much more prestigious tournament and being in the parade of champions as a wrestler meant a lot more than it does now. It's really been going downhill since the move to the horse barn. There are still some top caliber wrestlers there, but not as many as there used to be. It really should be one of the premier folkstyle tournaments in the region bringing in top wrestlers not only from Kansas but Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas. Hopefully it will get bigger and tougher in the years to come with the move to Hartman Arena.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: wichita classless move [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #143022 03/09/09 12:30 PM
J. Dale Offline
14U 95 at Hays 5 man round robin with 2 state champs a state runner up and a state qualifier. Now thats good competition.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: wichita classless move [Re: J. Dale] #143024 03/09/09 01:09 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i think the real classless move happened to on of our kids. his bracket was seeded and posted, set up where we would see some kansas competition. then at the request of 2 oklahoma coaches it was re-seeded so the oklahoma kids didn't have to wrestle on the same side of the bracket. many will think we are bitter because we lost to the ok kid, we are not. we have wrestled him 4x this season. we ended up wrestling both ok kids. we go to 2 or 3 oklahoma tournaments to start the year, plus the kickoff, and tulsa natl's. we don't go to the classic for the parade or the atmosphere of the horse barn. we go for tough competition and the chance of seeing some top kansas kids from other districts. what we got was an exact exzample of what mr chenoweth was talking about, this won't be a premier tourney, until it is ran like one. you don't go to a roller production ask to rebracket so you don't have to wrestle timmy!! we would never ask for the bracket to be re-drawn, and didn't complain (until now i guess) that it was. just trying to help keep it a good tourney maybe take it back to a premier tourney for all weights and ages. btw this bracket had at least 2 ks studs who didn't place, both ok kids placed, tx kid placed too. you just can't expect to continue to attract these quality kids if you don't run a quality tournament.

Last edited by suckerpunch; 03/09/09 01:11 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: wichita classless move [Re: HEADUP] #143030 03/09/09 01:48 PM
Team*Lautt Offline
"classless move"? Then every coach at the meeting is classless - as the vote was ... oh ... 100 or so to 0. I for one was glad to get out of there early ... save the parade for state. Anyway ... thanks for the "classless" comment - that's very cool to call people you've never met that - maybe you could go with you were "disappointed?" Anyway, on a more positive note, I had heard a lot of good and bad about the tournament, as this was our first time ... I loved it -there was GREAT competion! I grew up in the country so I'm not so uptight about the whole barn thing. If anyone saw the 10U 76 and 82 matches - that's some of the best wrestling I've seen in the past couple of years - it was awesome!!!!

Jon Lautt 704-582-2341
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 116 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)