Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? #143792 03/15/09 01:08 AM
J
June Bug Offline OP
OP Offline
J
In order to sit mat side and yell incredibly loud, annoying, WRONG stuff. . . moms should be required to pay for and take the bronze class.

Two coaches in the corner means two coaches in the corner. . not mom, aunt, and sister sitting on the opposite side of the mat yelling with the loudest mouths in the gym!

Quit causing noise pollution and blocking out relevant info the coaches have to yell themselves.

Hit the bleechers where you belong!

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: June Bug] #143808 03/15/09 02:13 AM
djackson Offline
Keep cheering your sons on moms!

Don Jackson
Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: djackson] #143836 03/15/09 08:05 AM
H
hometown Offline
H
We need to decide whether or not a coaches card is required to be mat side. Subs at Wellington went great except for this issue. There were 2 announcements made to the effect that all persons without armbands needed to get in the stands and not be mat side. I only saw 1 Dad from Coffeyville move to the stands. Everyone else played deaf. I feel that at Districts there should be one warning issued at the beginning of the tournament. Then start removing any person, without a band, who is sitting mat side. They can get to a computer and follow the progress of their wrestler on Track Wrestling. After 1 or 2 people are removed I'll bet this won't be a problem.

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: June Bug] #143839 03/15/09 11:53 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
I'm sure I'm getting sucked into this discussion but I have to respond.

First of all, I think EVERYBODY, man, woman, aunt, uncle, wrestler who is coming up in 10, third coach, wrestler who is sitting at matside cheering on his teammate, etc...should NOT be at matside.

But as a wrestlingmom, I'm insulted by your singling out moms as the ones that are causing the congestion and noise at matside. I for one was a Mom who sat at matside all day running table 7 at Pittsburg yesterday. Yes, I and two other Moms stayed until the end of the tournament so that they could move matches to our table. And I will be there next week at districts working a table, and at State working a table. There are countless Moms in wrestling who put in long hours helping their clubs and running tournaments.

So, the answer to getting people off the mats is to allow for ample seating in the stands and enforcing rules about NOBODY being at matside except for coaches and wrestlers coming up in the next 2-3 matches.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: wrestlingmom] #143841 03/15/09 12:14 PM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline
J
Quick note to Tournament Directors...

Leave the FRONT ROW of seats for wrestlers coming up soon and Coaches. ALL others sit up higher in the stands where the viewing is better. When we clear up the edges it will make it more enjoyable for all.

BTW - Some Moms are more knowledgable than a lot of us coaches, and most of the Moms don't chew!!! :-)

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #143843 03/15/09 12:35 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
I agree with wrestlingmom, it isn't just the moms that lead to the congestion. In fact, I noticed yesterday at Pittsburg that a lot of wrestlers and their buddies were just kind of, well, being kids. They would walk around talking to each other, often stopping right in the middle of the isles in front of the first row. I think that it is great that they want to be near matside to cheer on a teammate. Other than that, coaches and parents need to try to keep their kids policed up during the tournaments.

Lee Girard
Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #143844 03/15/09 12:43 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
[quote=Jeff Broadbent]Quick note to Tournament Directors...

Leave the FRONT ROW of seats for wrestlers coming up soon and Coaches. ALL others sit up higher in the stands where the viewing is better. When we clear up the edges it will make it more enjoyable for all.

BTW - Some Moms are more knowledgable than a lot of us coaches, and most of the Moms don't chew!!! :-) [/quote

again mr. brodadbent great idea, i'm not saying that there wasn't any congestion at the mill valley tournament, but if it became a major problem there was a way to quickly rmedy the situation. the more tournaments that do this, the better it will get. fans will get used to the idea, and it will become habit to sit anywhere but the first two rows.

there are annoying people at every tournament. not all of them are moms. its not fair to single them out, it's just part of it.

Last edited by suckerpunch; 03/15/09 12:50 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: HEADUP] #143847 03/15/09 12:59 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
you are right lee, when out kids get excited for each other, it's a frenzy and they all want to right at matside. we threatened to give them a "kick to the teeth" or a " karate chop to the throat" (haha), if they didn't move away from the mats. they don't care, they are just too tough, nothing phases them. they want to see their buddy win, and they want to be a part of it. i know that other coaches, mom's. uncles, aunts, grandpas, etc. are down there for the same reason. how can i fault them for being a "team".

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: HEADUP] #143857 03/15/09 02:10 PM
S
swkskidsmatrats Offline
S
i was at the subs in dodge yesterday and the pratt people were yellling so loud for there kids that it scared me half to death on the floor!! and they were in the stands!! so what would you do about them?? nothing!!! it was the most awesome thing to see that how they got into it and supported there kids from pratt!! and THEY WERE IN THE STANDS!!!! hats off to them and the way they supported there kids!!!! i think the moms are easier to distinguish becuse they have higher voices!! all power to the moms keep on cheering for your kids!!!!

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143858 03/15/09 02:11 PM
S
swkskidsmatrats Offline
S
i do like thge idea of the first 2 rows for coaches slash wrestlers!!

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143874 03/15/09 04:36 PM
J
June Bug Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sharon, I stand corrected and appolagetic. I should have made more note that ALL inidividuals who do not belong matside should move to the stands. This is anyone who does not have a bronze card or who is not a table worker.

I was quick to single out the moms I guess because it is quite often that my wrestler's opponent's mother is sitting 4 feet from me yelling. And they usually yell louder than anyone else in the gym.

I Often wonder why they don't go sit by their son's coach??? A redundant question I guess.

But you are absolutely correct. There are always a huge variety of people on the floor and in the way causing "noise pollution."

It's just annoying. Sorry.

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143877 03/15/09 04:52 PM
Allie Offline
In Holton, yesterday, the only one's matside were the coaches. It was publicized well ahead of time that everyone was to stay in the stands. It didn't take the bleacher patrol to keep them there...they just did it. It didn't stop anyone from cheering on their favorite wresters either. It was a well run tourney. Go D1 North Fans!!

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: Allie] #143878 03/15/09 04:53 PM
Allie Offline
Forgot to mention that I am a Mom who has a Bronze card!!(and I don't chew)(and I don't scream and yell...) smile

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: June Bug] #143879 03/15/09 04:53 PM
Hossus Offline
If they would provide 2 chairs for each corner for the coaches like they do in a lot of high school tournaments. I think it would narrow down who is actually supposed to be matside. This way the table workers or tourney directors can manage that better.

I am beginning to think that if someone were enterprising enough they could set up cameras at each mat and video tape the whole days actions for each mat or perhaps provide streaming internet video feeds. Then they could sell the taped action or internet stream to who ever wanted to buy it. Just a thought. I don't have the tech/money for that sorta thing.

Fortune assists the daring.
Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: Hossus] #143882 03/15/09 05:08 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
we told our parents not to come to the mat, to stay in the stands. it didn't work. so we told them that they can cheer during the action, but when there is no action they need to be quiet so we can talk to the kid. a young wrestlers ears are programmed to hear mom and dad's voice, they won't hear their coach, if all the hear is "COME ON BABY, YOU CAN DO IT!!" "GET TOUGH, COME ON GET TOUGH", "GET MAD, JUST GET MAD", and my all time personal favorite "GET UP, GET UP". i mean if it were that easy, we would all be doing it. let the coaches coach. give us two rows or two chairs.

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: HEADUP] #143891 03/15/09 08:34 PM
M
MIGHTY'SMOM Offline
M
What about certain teams that seem to have more than one coach matside? Happened several times at subs (D2N) this weekend and nothing was said to any of them. One team, in paticular does this throughout the season. Only ONCE did I EVER hear a ref tell them they couldn't do that. At the Classic, one ref actually told them: Only 2 coaches, everyone else had to move back away from the mat and keep quiet. Wristbands or not (and several of them were NOT banded), ONLY 2 COACHES! It is imtimidating to the opposing wrestler when all those other coaches are matside for one wrestler! District directors need to inform their refs to strictly adhere to that rule!

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: HEADUP] #143892 03/15/09 08:43 PM
W
Wells Offline
W
It's getting bad when the parents of the opposite team don't even have enough respect to stay away from your corner. This has happened to myself as a coach a dozen times this year, including yesterday at Subs. The referee had to tell the parent to stay away an not be in my corner. At first he thought it was my kids parent! If you let your parents know from the begining of the season where they need to be, then by this time in the year tournaments shouldn't have a problem.

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143902 03/15/09 09:33 PM
Pelland Offline
Originally Posted By: swkskidsmatrats
i was at the subs in dodge yesterday and the pratt people were yellling so loud for there kids that it scared me half to death on the floor!! and they were in the stands!! so what would you do about them?? nothing!!! it was the most awesome thing to see that how they got into it and supported there kids from pratt!! and THEY WERE IN THE STANDS!!!! hats off to them and the way they supported there kids!!!! i think the moms are easier to distinguish becuse they have higher voices!! all power to the moms keep on cheering for your kids!!!!

Our moms do tend to get a little loud......nothing better than a Sunday after a tournament in my house. Twice this year my wife has lost her voice...... grin

Can't wait til next Sunday.

Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: Pelland] #143919 03/16/09 01:04 AM
nix Offline
lmao what's next you guy's going to call the nfl and ask that no fans yell, or at a boxing match hey you guy's and gals lower your yelling this is just my own thoughts.

c'mon this is a sport where parets and fans cheer and yell at these young wrestlers.

i guess you can have all fans and parents wear a suit and a dress be completly quiet no chew. maybe we should have parents raise there hands before they go to the bathroom so they do not disturb anyone. and require parents and fans to take a bronze clinic just to watch.

thers alot worse things to complain about like, how about some of these dumb ass parents who let there kids sit right in the stairs where people walk up and down the stairs. just my thoughts.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Should mom's be required to achieve a bronze card? [Re: nix] #143920 03/16/09 01:09 AM
Pelland Offline
Originally Posted By: nix
how about some of these dumb ass parents who let there kids sit right in the stairs where people walk up and down the stairs. just my thoughts.

Or how about those parents who chew sunflower seeds and spit them on the bleechers just like they are at the ball park. No cheeeeeet.....we had some squirrel at our tournament shell a whole great big jumbo bag of seeds right on the bleechers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 170 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)