Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. #143810 03/15/09 02:24 AM
J
JJD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Guymon OK is wrestling for the Hugoton Club. How many kids did it effect? Nothing against the kids. But this is a kansas tourney. Did we just open the door for other states? Today in our bracket we would have had second and lost a kansas kid who lives and wrestle here. Just doesnt seem right. any thoughts.

Last edited by JJD; 03/15/09 02:25 AM.
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: JJD] #143812 03/15/09 02:26 AM
K
kai Offline
K
check out the conversation at (any studs at 12U 64) on the talk form.

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: kai] #143817 03/15/09 03:02 AM
S
swkskidsmatrats Offline
S
yes guymon is wrestling with the hugoton club! and they went thru the executive board/council to do it!! they only go to kansas tourneys since they live closer to them than oklahoma tourneys!! they dont belong in any other state or do they attend any other state!! i have but one question?? these kids went thru the properchannels and done things right by the rules put before them!! i do agree if there is some kind of hinky stuff going on!! but they went thru the proper channels to be able to do it the right way and were upfront and honest about it!! and also the petition was supported by quite a few members and coaches for it to happen!!

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143819 03/15/09 03:16 AM
Cokeley Offline
I heard about this after it passed by one vote. I am all for kids wrestling but this seems like an awfully slippery slope. Oklahoma has plenty of wrestling opportunity as does the Texas Panhandle. Aren't we opening Pandora's Box here? Next it will be rural Colorado towns because it would be closer to wrestle in Kansas than drive to Denver. After that southwestern Nebraska kids so they don't have to drive to Lincoln or Omaha. Steve Woody argued for this which I was totally surprised by since he is normally very, very anti change. I think this situation needs to be rethought and revoted on.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143820 03/15/09 03:18 AM
P
Packerholic4 Offline
P
shouldn't be allowed. they live oklamoma. just travel. Does St. francis go to Colorado or Nebraska for state. What about all of those border towns in kansas do they jump ship or wrestle in kansas. They shouldn't be allowed to come over to wrestle.

Last edited by Packerholic4; 03/15/09 03:18 AM.
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Packerholic4] #143823 03/15/09 03:29 AM
S
swkskidsmatrats Offline
S
so since they done it the right way and done what the rules said they should be disallowed now?? they live in the panhandle of ok!! they would drive 5 hours to the closest tourney in ok!! or 2 1/2 hours for texas!! or drive 30 miles for kansas tourneys!! my question is do you want them to wrestle since the cost alone would stop some from wrestling since hauling would be prohibitive alone!!! my theory is is this for the kids or what??? if they choose to come here and support ks tourneys and they follow our rules, so be it!!!! i would understand if they went to ok or tx tourneys they do not!! they choose to come here and support ks tourneys!! i think this is for the kids not the parents!! and to promote and give the oppurtunity to children to better themselves thru wrestling !! not only in wrestling but in life in general!!

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143826 03/15/09 03:52 AM
Cokeley Offline
You don't do anything about it this year as it is what is. The problem is that if blurs a very black and white line. It is about Kansas Kids not Oklahoma Kids. No one is for providing opportunities to wrestle than me but I strongly feel this is a precedent that we really didn't want to set.

SWKSKIDSMATRATS...

Where do you draw the line? Liberal kids have to drive six hours to state. Woodward has wrestling and that isn't 2.5 hours from Guymon and neither is Amarillo.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143827 03/15/09 04:03 AM
J
JW1635 Offline
J
I would like this reviewed at the State meeting. I believe that as long as a wrestler is not double-dipping in two State Tournaments and he is signed up with only one club, being in the State of Kansas then we should accept his entry. I would also add that if we find a pattren of jumping back and forth from say, Missouri to Kansas, back to Missouri then wanting to come back to Kansas we take a much deeper look into their reason. I want all kids to have the oppurtunity to wrestle and some of them are in seperated family situations that lead to this kind of circumstance.
All in all we should only hope that our Kansas Wrestlers have seen the best competion we can bring them, I would be glad to have the reputation of being a tough State to win the State Title in.

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143829 03/15/09 04:09 AM
S
swkskidsmatrats Offline
S
i am talking about normal everyday tourneys!! woodward coaches told me at liberals tourney they drive ast least 3 hours one way every weekend to go to wrestling tourneys!! you add on 2 hrs and 15 minutes to guymon from woodward you are close!! woodward does not have a tourney they have a program!! amarillo is 2 hours from guymon!! and liberal is 40 miles, hugoton is 30 miles so which is closer for them to go to????? to me the only thing is that they SUPPORT ks tourneys and only ks tourneys and that should say volumes what there intentions are and they mean well in the respect that they are doing it for the right reasons!! and how is it hurting ks kids??? so should all ks tourneys be off limits for anyone but ks kids????????

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143831 03/15/09 04:38 AM
Cokeley Offline
SWK

The vote allows them to compete in the Kids State qualifying series. There are NO rules restricting them from competing in "normal everyday tourneys." It is a little unusual to be a Oklahoma resident but proclaim yourself the Kansas State Champion. I understand the geography so don't you see that this could apply to EVERY bordering state... Where do you draw the line?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143832 03/15/09 05:44 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
check out the posts about the monett mo clubs. we would love to have their points added at state. but there is one problem, they are from mo. we practice all the time with seneca, diamond, monett, carl junction, carthage kids. that doesn't give them the right to wrestle here. sorry about how far they have to drive, but no one ever said life was fair. and the people who think that wrestling is fair, usually play basketball after 1 season. before you reply with any other situations, ask yourself 1 question. would oklahoma do the same for a kansas town?

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: HEADUP] #143835 03/15/09 07:28 AM
Hossus Offline
Worked in and around Hooker, OK the last few years. So I understand the Geography issue as well and it is also a part of the reason we did not move to that area. Good to see that there are some teams trying to get a movement going though. Not too many high schools carry a wrestling program in the Panhandle, I know I looked long and hard at this.

However, if driving is the main issue that this is based on, then it is a very weak one. The Folks in Colby, Goodland, Oakley, Liberal, Garden City, Dodge City, Hays, Norton etc. do a fair share of that as well. KS is a good sized state so driving is an issue for everyone here as well. Three weeks of driving, time and money for the state series in OK is really a drop in the bucket for some of the parents of wrestlers in KS for our state tourney series. All things equal in this case in my opinion. You can still get your mat time by attending the local KS tournaments with a much shorter season I might add.

This is sorta after the fact. Here we are after subs and many in the KS wrestling community had no idea that this was going to happen and or that it had been approved. This should have been made common knowledge well in advance. So right now it appears to many people to be shady even though it may not be.

As it was mentioned above the allowances will eventually lead to more special circumstances with other states clubs or state governing entities. Maybe that is not such a bad thing with the economy the way it is. Survival of the sport is also a driving factor here as well. I have read and heard that many of the KS High School Wrestling programs are now under the chopping block due to the economy and budget issues with the state. Several smaller High Schools Districts are looking at closing and being consolidated in with bigger districts. So it could be that we will have to evolve to survive. If high school programs start to die then so will the kids clubs unless we make some changes.

Here is the rub though. The OK State Series rules for instance, specifically states that you have to be a resident of OK to participate. I am sure other states have similar rules. The reason for this is the double dipping and recruitment. What better way to boost your clubs power rating at state than to recruit from another state who's State Tourney Series has been over for almost a month. Believe me there are a bunch of Oklahoma wrestlers who would love to get in another month of wrestling here in KS.

Regardless of where your loyalties may lie, if there are no compacts or agreements made with the other states to allow for mutual crossing over of their state tourney series. Then it really is an unfair advantage for some clubs to be able to recruit in this manner.

While I am not really upset that this occuring as this is prob the direction for this sport in general. I do however, think it is totally unfair that it does not apply to everyone. I for one would rather have my son to be able to wrestle the OK series than in the KS series because it is closer for us and the rules are different. But we do not have that option unless we move 20 miles south.

Last edited by Hossus; 03/15/09 07:35 AM.

Fortune assists the daring.
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143837 03/15/09 11:50 AM
B
birddog Offline
B
That should NOT be allowed. They can wrestle were ever they want all year long, but when it come to state they need to wrestle in their own respective state. In their case that only requires two semi-long drives -one to oklahoma regionals and one to state. Come on you Guys - Lots of us have drive to wrestle. I wonder if the Okie folkie would let us come wrestle in their State Tournie? - As for the Oklahoma Series Tournaments
The Okies don't have a problem with any out of staters wrestling in them, we know this for fact as we have kids in our club that have won the series this year and in past years. But State is State - send them home with well wishes to win their respective state title along with the Kansas coach that coached them all year if you really want to help them.
Why don't you get on the Okie site and see how they feel about it. Bet the Okies might feel slighted "out" of some competition especially if one of those kids did well in the Kansas State meet.

Last edited by birddog; 03/15/09 12:05 PM.
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: birddog] #143848 03/15/09 01:06 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
right on birddog, i believe that oklahoma state is already over. so i wouldn't be a conflict for the coaches. sorry, i am all for anything that betters the sport. it just seems like this was rushed, and maybe should have been looked at more closely. you know that they wouldn't allow it in oklahoma, no matter what the circumstances.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: HEADUP] #143850 03/15/09 01:13 PM
G
GoShortyGo Offline
G
My son has wrestled one of these kids from Guymon all year. He (like the other kids from Guymon, I'm sure), is a good kid and a pretty good wrestler. However, I think if my son had been one of the kids that lost out to one of the kids from Guymon at subs (and didn't get to go on to Districts), I'd probably not be too happy about it.

For this year, the horse is already out of the barn. But I think something needs to be established for years going forward.

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: GoShortyGo] #143853 03/15/09 01:43 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Here is the rule that permitted the Oklahoma kids to compete in our state qualifying series:
Quote:
For the purpose of eligibility of entering a Sub-District or District tournament, a competitive member must be a resident of Kansas and/or be enrolled in a Kansas educational school system. Special cases to this rule are subject to notification and permission from the Executive Council. The State Tournament Director will be notified of any person permitted to wrestle under this provision.

If you want this rule changed, you should notify one of your district officers so that they can bring it up at next September's Executive Council meeting.

In the 20 years that I've been active on the Executive Council, either as a voting member or in my current Ex-Officio position, I have seen this provision requested several times, and approved probably 10-12 times. The only times I can recall where approval has been granted is when the wrestler(s) are actively associated with a Kansas club during the regular season, don't have easy access to out-of-state competition, and forgo any competition in their home state's championship series.

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: GoShortyGo] #143855 03/15/09 01:50 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
This is BULL!!! I realize they went through all the proper channels, but everyone in Kansas travels as well. Why is the distance you have to travel the issue? This is a KANSAS state event, not a MULTIPLE STATE EVENT, whomever voted or let them in should of thought long and hard of the repercussions that it would cause. Kansas kids not making state due to the fact an Oklahoma kid beat them out not right!!! My feelings, they had their chance, now it should be our turn!!!

Eric Spexarth
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Spexy] #143856 03/15/09 02:08 PM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
I understand what is being said by those against this allowance. But, this does appear to be a special circumstance. It was voted on and approved. And, isn't the whole purpose to improve wrestling?? I guess I would be mad if one of these kids beat my kid out of state on one hand. But on the other hand, where they only wrestle in Kansas tournaments, wrestle for a Kansas club, I would guess my kid should know these wrestlers and have learned how to beat them by state. I really believe these kids are as much Kansas kids in some ways as those who wrestle for Missouri clubs and on their Park Hill Dual teams competing against KANSAS, and then come back and wrestle on our end of the year dual teams. It was a special circumstance. I really understand both sides, on a Sunday morning before church, I am just trying to point out some issues on the other side. It really does not matter to me. As Randy says its all about he kids!!! This rule helps some kids and if your kid is not good enough to beat them, isn't that what wrestling is all about.

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: John Johnson] #143859 03/15/09 02:11 PM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
Just curious, is Weston Maravilla 8u 55# from Hugoton a true Hugoton kid or an OK kid?

koltons_dad
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Spexy] #143860 03/15/09 02:13 PM
J
JJD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Let them wrestle all regular tournaments if they want but when it comes to Kansas state go to your own. I have traveled numerous time a year to the Wichita area (at least 6 tournaments) which is a 220 mile drive each way. Salina 4hrs each way. This is my own state never had a problem with it. OK kids state was in Tulsa a 7hr drive from Guymon and Topeka is a 7hr Drive for Kansas State. Guymon Drove 2hrs to Dodge city and it is a 2hr drive to Garden City as well. They wrestled as Guymon Ok all year long until subs and did not practice with Hugoton they justed signed in under the Club. Get all the mat time you want in Kansas but at the state level attend your own. I think State board jump the gun on this one.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dylan Hitchcock), 169 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)