Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: JJD] #143862 03/15/09 02:19 PM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
I see Weston has been pretty successful with Hugoton since back in 2006. I answered my own question, thanks anyway.

koltons_dad
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: mmeditz] #143863 03/15/09 02:20 PM
BLT Offline
I have a question. How do we treat the KC folks that live on the Mo side? Are they allowed to wrestle Ks if they are in a Ks club? Is KC some kind of exception to the rule as well or do we make those kids drive the other direction. Do the KC Mo kids get to wrestle Mo state?

Point:
I know of a young man that lives in Hunnywell Ks. That is south of Wellington & 1 mile north of the OK line. His dad works in Blackwell OK and they go to school in Braman OK. (Why not South Haven? Too long to type!) But they want to wrestle out of Blackwell and was told they could until state bc they have a Ks address and it is a very strict policy that only OK wrestlers can wrestle their state series.

Before I pass judgement on this I would have to see how they handle the KC area kids. If they don't allow them to wrestle then I claim foul!
If they allow then its the same gray line!

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: JJD] #143865 03/15/09 02:29 PM
S
swkskidsmatrats Offline
S
ok!!!
they do practice with hugotons club!!!! go to the practie and see for your self that those kids go and practice with hugoton!!!
they dont go to any oklahoma tourneys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they didnt go to salina,hutch, or any other tourneys back east al year long!!
they are trying to get a program started down there and all they want is a chance to wrestle and get kids into this sport!!!! and they help hugoton with practice and tourneys!!!
and this whole thread was started by someone that has a axe to grind because why????????????????????
couple questions???
A-is wrestling for kids?????
B-is there a diff between ok kids and ks kids???
C-would they have said a word if those kids went 0-2 and wwent home like nothing????
D-if you have questions ask them and they will be answered honestly and upfront!!! i dont pull no punches!!!!!
E-weston maravilla is a 2nd grader at hugotn elementary

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143868 03/15/09 03:35 PM
J
JWeil Offline
J
I think with extrem cases like this one, we evaluate every wrestler case by case that askes to wrestle our state tourny's. As for every day tourny's wouldn't you go to another state if it was close. I know we would.

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: JWeil] #143875 03/15/09 04:38 PM
J
JJD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
A- Wrestling is for the kids.
B - You answered that one yourself.
C - I doesnt not matter 0-2 0r 2-0 the point is this a Kansas qualifer not KS/OK.

Talked to numerous coaches from Hugoton and was told this was dropped in their lap and not all were on board.

We have traveled to numerous states and wrestled National events and wrestled alot of regular tournaments also. To see different competion and to get mat time for the Kids. At the end of the season you come home and see if all your hard work, time and effort put in can be rewarded by your own state. There is nothing like seing your kids at state tourney come in the Parade and Being introduced in the finals. Just dont know how you think it right to stand on the Podium with a Kansas Plaque being from OK. Last thoughts and Im Done. ****

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: JJD] #143881 03/15/09 05:04 PM
S
swkskidsmatrats Offline
S
a- we agree on!
B-kids are just that kids!! no matter what state you are from!!
c- is it not called usaw wrestling??? its for the kids not the parents!! to better our children thru wrestling!! kids are just kids!!!!
D-so who have you talked to from hugoton about this?? its amazing how this is third hand HEARSAY!!!!!!! what i have heard is that the kids are whats important!!! that is what i am in it for whether your kid or mine it doesnt matter as long as they benefit from the experience!! win or lose!!!! its about doing your best and nothing else!!! winning and losing is just part of it!! the try factor is whats important, self-dicipline, among others, but the most important one is also SPORTSMANSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143883 03/15/09 05:24 PM
Cokeley Offline
Let me pose this question to those who are trying to figure this out:

If Guymon, OK started a HS wrestling program would KSHSAA let them attend the Liberal Regional and qualify for Kansas 5A state because it would be closer than driving to Ponca City, OK for OK Regionals?

The entire season kids from anywhere can wrestle in Kansas tournaments and they do. For three weeks it is about Kids who are RESIDENTS of Kansas with a few exceptions. Kids who are residents of Missouri but attend school in Kansas. That is the usual case for making an exception.

I would love to see Ned Price chime in on this since he didn't get to vote.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143887 03/15/09 07:39 PM
B
blaise Offline
B
I agree with you Will..

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: swkskidsmatrats] #143889 03/15/09 07:42 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: swkskidsmatrats
c- is it not called usaw wrestling???
Our organization is:

The name of the organization shall be United States of America Wrestling Association – Kansas, Inc. Kids Division. In addition, the organization may conduct its affairs under such trade name(s) as may be approved by its Executive Council, including but not limited to the name USAWA-Kansas Kids.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: RichardDSalyer] #143890 03/15/09 08:16 PM
S
S Biddle Offline
S
Will - How do you know he didn't get to vote, maybe he did vote.

Scott Biddle
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: S Biddle] #143894 03/15/09 08:50 PM
Cokeley Offline
Ned is only allowed to vote if it is a tie. It was not so he did not vote. Tuff did note vote either as he was in Mexico on a much deserved family vacation. Tom Peterman abstained. THe YES voters and NO voters will have to disclose themselves.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143897 03/15/09 09:20 PM
Pelland Offline
WOW.....I can't believe this was even a request to our council much less approved.

Greg Pelland
Kansas Resident

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Pelland] #143903 03/15/09 09:48 PM
Pelland Offline
I've been thinking about this..........I have a few questions for the Hugoton Wrestling Club.

1) How many OK kids wrestle for your club?
2) How long have they been wrestling for your club?
3) Do you enter them into the tournaments your club goes to?

Thanks,
Greg Pelland

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143904 03/15/09 09:54 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Ned is only allowed to vote if it is a tie.
It is not true that the president (executive director) can vote only to break a tie. If the president (executive director) is a member of the assembly (executive council), he or she has exactly the same rights and privileges as all other members have, including the right to make motions, speak in debate and to vote on all questions. However, the impartiality required of the presiding officer of an assembly (executive council) (especially a large one) precludes exercising the right to make motions or debate while presiding, and also requires refraining from voting except (i) when the vote is by ballot, or (ii)whenever his or her vote will affect the result.

When will the chair's vote affect the result? On a vote which is not by ballot, if a majority vote is required and there is a tie, he or she may vote in the affirmative to cause the motion to prevail. If there is one more in the affirmative than in the negative, he or she can create a tie by voting in the negative to cause the motion to fail. Similarly, if a two-thirds vote is required, he or she may vote either to cause, or to block, attainment of the necessary two thirds. [RONR (10th ed.), p. 392-93; see also Table A, p.190 of RONR In Brief.]

It was not so he did not vote.
Ned's vote MAY have created a tie causing the motion to fail.

Tom Peterman abstained.
It has long been my position all members should VOTE. The members of the Executive Council are representatives of their respective districts and I believe their constituency expects their elected representatives to VOTE.

THe YES voters and NO voters will have to disclose themselves.
Richard, as Parliamentarian, did not vote. During discussion of the motion Richard's position was made very clear and it was directly opposite that of District 4.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: RichardDSalyer] #143907 03/15/09 10:45 PM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Do Richard and Will agree??

Is Will saying that we should do as KSHSAA would do??

Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: RichardDSalyer] #143908 03/15/09 10:57 PM
Cokeley Offline
Maybe Ned was confused about those complex rules. He told me that he did not vote because it wasn't a tie. I understand that you are saying that he could have voted to cause a tie?? It is immaterial at this point in time. The situation has been created and will remain in place until another vote.

I agree with Richard that ALL elected officials should attend and vote. ALL votes should be a roll call vote and every elected member should have their votes disclosed so that their constituency can question their justification for said votes. Just my opinion.

I have NOTHING against any of these Kids or the Hugton wrestling organization. I understand their position but this creates the potentional for lots of blurring of the "boundary lines". District 4 is geographically huge and it might be MUCH closer for a club to go to a District 2 or 3 sub? Are we going to grant that change due to the excessive mileage issue? Just curious, where do you draw the line?

Last edited by Cokeley; 03/15/09 11:09 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Cokeley] #143909 03/15/09 10:58 PM
Cokeley Offline
KSHSAA is more of a tax issue situation but since I always get beat up for questioning some of their rules I thought I would use them to clarify this issue.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: John Johnson] #143910 03/15/09 11:01 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: John Johnson
Do Richard and Will agree??
On many matters.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: RichardDSalyer] #143912 03/16/09 12:07 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Since I have family in western Ks. and don't think my boys can make it through our districts but could make it through D4, I could change their address to a town out west and wrestle there? That's basically whats happening here, you have left the flood gates open. Yes, I agree it's for the kids, but the kids want to make it to state REALLY, REALLY BAD!!! They have worked their butts off all year just to stay home due to the fact an OK. wrestler beat them out!!!!!

Eric Spexarth
Re: Oklahoma Kids allowed to wrestle subs. [Re: Spexy] #143927 03/16/09 01:39 AM
BLT Offline
So what is the rule for KC?
Do they have to go to school in Ks?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 179 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)