Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Is This Legal? [Re: usawks1] #145014 03/25/09 11:28 PM
3badboyz Offline
You must wrestle in your age group in qualifying tournaments. IE. subs, districts and state. I appears the infraction was when he was in the 12U age group. It has been this way for a long time. It has been this way at least 7 years because a thirteen year old (12u age group) who was confused about the cutoff date after moving here from Oklahoma wrestled 14u at state. We did not say anything, it was an honest mistake and it cost a kid from our club a place.
By the way, wrestling is like the only kids' sport you do not have to provide age documentation. All baseball and football at least for the sports I am familiar with.

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: usawks1] #145016 03/26/09 12:04 AM
2coach Offline
Yeah, what if they entered him in the wrong age group?? You sure would not want to say anything to anyone then cause the higher ups sure would not let you wrestle then. It happened this year to a little boy who was put in at 8 and under instead of 10 and under and the so called dictators or directors of kansas wrestling would not let him wrestle. That is wrong, and because of that honest mistake he was not allowed to wrestle at subs. And what is even more sad, is that was his first year and he just wanted to see how far he could go, now thanks to that decison he said that he was done with the sport. I guess I don't get it we always want kids to go out for this great sport but yet you guys seem to take it away from them when it really counts. I can honestly say That I did not even want my boys to have anything to do with Kansas Wrestling after hearing this. But my boys love this sport and taking it away from them would be doing what you all did, and I would never scoop that low. I think you all got to remember this sport is for the kids not for you all to make dumb decisons like you did. I hope this gets to the right people cause you know who you are....
Mike Rodriguez
my # 620-255-1001

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: 2coach] #145031 03/26/09 01:26 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
2coach,

I think we just went from apples to oranges on this one. The apple, a wrestler who was incorrectly entered an age group up and, the orange, a wrestler who was incorrectly entered an age group down. The apple wrestled all the way to a 2nd place finish in State, in the wrong age group. The orange, was not allowed to wrestle Subs because he was in the wrong age group. The apple didn't seem to have a problem with wrestling up in age and apparently no one figured it out. The orange got hosed because someone figured it out, and the dictators/directors wouldn't allow him to wrestle because he was entered in the wrong age group. I believe that the orange should have been allowed to change age brackets and wrestle. In fact, I can't believe he wasn't.

Lee Girard
Re: Is This Legal? [Re: 2coach] #145035 03/26/09 01:35 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Mr. Rodriquez

At your convenience, have me paged this weekend in Topeka and I will be happy to discuss the appropriate rules and procedures in place to ensure the integrity of the state championship tournament series.

Have a safe trip!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Is This Legal? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #145048 03/26/09 02:24 AM
powercat1 Offline
I also know a young man that, this year at subs he was entered in 16&U and he should have been in 14&U, but knowing if anything was said he would not have been allowed to wrestle, so nothing was said. 2 years from now records will show that he spent 1 year at 14&U and 3 years at 16&U

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #145050 03/26/09 02:24 AM
R
R. Scott Edwards Offline
R
2coach,

You know I done what I could to get this young man moved. Dont go putting the blame on the DICTATORS for a mistake that their coach made. They were the ones responsable for entering each kid in their age and weight bracket on Track Wrestling. The rules were in place and they were followed across the State. I know a kid was entered in the wrong weight group in D1 and it was not caught till after the seeding meeting and that young man did not get to wrestle. We had another young man in the 14 and under that was actually 16 and he was not able to wrestle either.

The rule in a nut shell says that no changes after the seeding meeting unless it is a clerical error done by the Tournament Director. Now that we are using Track Wrestling, the Tournament Director is not the one entering the kids and their age. With the clubs doing the entering, mistakes are going to happen. As Tournament Director, you are not going to be able to know if a child is entered in the right spot. You can check the paperwork with what is on Track Wrestling but there are still going to be misses and mistakes.

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #145053 03/26/09 03:02 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
My bad. I thought that a wrestler entered incorrectly in an upper age group should have the chance to be moved and wrestle. The Earth is not round after all.

Lee Girard
Re: Is This Legal? [Re: ReDPloyd] #145059 03/26/09 03:32 AM
2coach Offline
Richard,
I know the rules, do I think they are right, no. When it is an honest mistake then I think things need to be done to let these kids wrestle. The paper work had him at the right age the parents did what they were supposed to do. The coach just mistakenly put him in at 8 and under. Mistakes happen right, or do they not around you?
And as for you Scott, it was not directed at you buddy or even Mr. Woody, I'm talking the higher ups. You know who did not let this little boy compete, they are the people who should be ashamed of themselves. Sorry if you thought I was speaking about you, my mistake...

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: 2coach] #145078 03/26/09 12:23 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Scott Edwards and all,

This comment/idea is not meant to point fingers....I have struggled with this during the season....I think we may need to modify the rules since we are using Trackwrestling. Here's some details....

1. My understanding is that the rules say you can't make changes after the seeding meeting unless it is a clerical error made by the TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR. In my opinion, this is a dated rule that needs to be updated based on clubs entering wrestlers and not the Tournament Director. Under the old system the tournament director entered the kids and had the final sanity check. The responsibility for correctness/clerical errors fell squarely on their shoulders. Now, that responsibility falls on the clubs personnel who are responsible for entering wrestlers in trackwrestling.

2. Therefore, I recommend we modify the rule to say "unless it is a clerical error done by the individual responsible for entering the wrestlers."

My reasoning for this is that honest mistakes are made by those entering wrestlers in Trackwrestling. It is always a hectic time during sub registrations and honest mistakes are made. I think we need to update the rule so we can make it more user friendly and supportive of the kids. There is absolutely nothing worse (as an adult) than having to look a kid in the eye and try to explain that they did everything right and because we made a mistake they can't wrestle. Our system needs to be flexible enough to allow us to fix honest mistakes in support of the kids.

I also know that some people will try to game the system. So once again we are back at adults not trusting adults with the consequences impacting the kids. We really need to get over that.

Shawn Budke

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: shawnbudke] #145085 03/26/09 01:25 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: shawnbudke
I also know that some people will try to game the system. So once again we are back at adults not trusting adults with the consequences impacting the kids. We really need to get over that.

Shawn Budke

The purpose for many of the rules is to prevent adults from gaming (CHEATING) the system. In a perfect world there would be no need for rules.

The fact remains there is a provision in place for team coaches to review their entries PRIOR to the start of seeding at the seeding meeting. The rules and are not the problem - it is the adults.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Is This Legal? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #145119 03/26/09 02:30 PM
D
dave matthews Offline
D
this is getting old,what happened 3 years ago is in the past.there is nothing we can do now,if it was a mistake they should of done something then not now.my son has this kid first round,you dont here me complaining.i just signed up here because this topic was getting old.i am looking forward to see my son wrestler him at state,so lets just drop this subject and lets have fun watching some good wrestling this weekend.

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: dave matthews] #145120 03/26/09 02:34 PM
badbo Offline
My son is also in the weight, I agree. Drop it and let him wrestle.

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: badbo] #145152 03/26/09 04:28 PM
2coach Offline
I'm not talking about what happened three years ago, I'm talking about what happened this year to a little boy. The point is because of that honest mistake this little boy will no longer wrestle ever in kansas kids wrestling.... what a shame

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: 2coach] #145164 03/26/09 05:12 PM
D
dave matthews Offline
D
this message started with the one i was talking about,you guys started with the others kids.

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #145168 03/26/09 05:32 PM
Nedly Offline
2Coach,

I understand that you are upset on this issue. I take no delight in making the decisions to follow the rules that we have in place when in turn makes a young wreslter miss the chance to wrestle.

I take offense to the term dictator! You no not know me if that is how you think I am. I talked with many people over this issue before we made the final decision.

The rules were followed here whether you like or not. If you do not like the rules please bring me a request this weekend for a rule change and I would be happy to take to the rules committee.

I look forward to meeting you this weekend.

Ned Price

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: Nedly] #145173 03/26/09 05:46 PM
D
dave matthews Offline
D
nedly i guess i am confused about your last comment.are you saying the kid is not wrestling at state?

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: dave matthews] #145175 03/26/09 06:15 PM
badbo Offline
Two kids talked about within this thread. Perez from Ulysses is wrestling. The kid that was entered in the wrong age this year is not.

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: badbo] #145177 03/26/09 06:27 PM
2coach Offline
Ned, you have what you need in front of you, take this post to the committee. I dont need to see you there or anywhere for that matter. I'm done with this post, oh and I call it like I see it Mr. Price...

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: Nedly] #145186 03/26/09 06:59 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Nedly
I take no delight in making the decisions to follow the rules that we have in place when in turn makes a young wreslter miss the chance to wrestle.

Ned never apologize for or feel bad for following the rules. That is what they are there for even if it does cause some kid to miss a match or two. Without rules we have anarchy.

Re: Is This Legal? [Re: sportsfan02] #145229 03/26/09 10:16 PM
T
tmchenry Offline
T
May I ask why the tool on Trackwrestling were you enter your childs birthday and it automatically puts them in the correct age group was not used for subs? When I registered our kids at McPherson and Pratt this is how is worked. You put in there DOB and there age group popped up. I entered the correct DOB just clicked on the wrong age group.
Teresa McHenry
Jr. Cardinal Wrestling

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 129 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,380
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)