Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: State at Topeka [Re: RYLANT] #145687 03/30/09 06:37 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
The best product at the best price should win. We look forward to the trip to state every year, but of course would not have our feelings hurt if it was in Wichita. I still got a little of the feeling that Topeka isn't too worred about losing the tourney. I guess I shouldn't let a few crabby security guys ruin the whole perception.

Re: State at Topeka [Re: RYLANT] #145688 03/30/09 06:37 PM
H
H.R. Cook Offline
H
I would like to say thank you again for coming to Topeka. To answer some of the questions and negative comments:

The opening ceremonies were the same speakers saying pretty much the same thing as in years past including me. It was not predetermined what was said or how, including me. Though I did mean what I said about the tail gate party. I was looking forward to that.

Our food policy and security policy changed a while back (sometime after state last year) but thank you for noticing. Becuause of the high amount of special needs (diebetics and such)and the need to be more user friendly (not being food nazis). They way I look at it, if you are trying to sneak food in, you were not planning on buying from my concessions anyway. Now again remember that does not mean anything goes. Wherever the State is held next year there will be policies, practices and prices that some people will not agree with. We are no exception, but everyone tries to work with them.

Do we want State back? heck yeah. Did we go out of our way to be friendly and welcoming, yes but we try do that for almost all of our events.

I know I will NEVER please people like J. Dale who is convinced there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll, but there is no conspirisy just putting our best foot forward. After each year we do compare notes with the exec board and dist. directors and try to make changes for the next year, not just this year. Hosting state is one of my staff's favorite events because this event is all about family. Your familys and the way the wreslting community acts like a big family.

Thank you again.

H.R. Cook
General Manager
Kansas Expocentre/SMG

Re: State at Topeka [Re: H.R. Cook] #145690 03/30/09 06:47 PM
Owlbacker Offline
Dear Mr Cook

I have a complaint. I woke up Sunday morning ready to go on a mission. I watched people scarf on roadrunner dogs all day saturday. I resisted the urge....I have a fairly large family and lunch saturday for just the kids was a little over 45 bucks. Then spent the rest of the day watching men spill chile and cheese down their forearms while chewing happily. So like I said I was on a mission I was going to have the one thing on the menu that looked worth the 6 dollar price tag....and you were out...yes...out!! What kind of show are you running??

Paul McPhillips
Re: State at Topeka [Re: RYLANT] #145695 03/30/09 06:56 PM
badbo Offline
Here is my request. If we are going to pay $6 or so for a hamburger, etc. Why could you not serve turkey or ham subs? I am sure they would be equally high priced, but at least we could get some decent nutritional food. The fruit sold in the stand was not edible. We bought my son an orange and it was so bad we threw in the trash. If your prices have to be that high so be it. Like I said they were the same in Wichita for HS state, but serve some decent food. Wichita for example had some awesome Chicken. It was $7, but it was great. Hot dogs, pretzels, and nachos doesn't cut it, and $2.50 PBJ falls pretty short as well.

Re: State at Topeka [Re: badbo] #145711 03/30/09 07:45 PM
Nedly Offline

As most of you know this is a bid year for the State Tournament. Requests were sent out to many city's (5) to bid on the next contract for the tournament. Three city's submitted bids, Hays, Wichita, and Topeka. The tournament committee is doing site vists with each city that bid. On April 19th the 3 city's will present there bids to the Kids Council and then we will award the new contract.

I will make a announcement later that week on the venue for next years state tournament. Encourage your district reps to attend this important meeting in April.

If you have any questions or cocerns please feel free to contact me.

Ned Price

Re: State at Topeka [Re: Nedly] #145721 03/30/09 08:04 PM
J. Dale Offline
First of all Mr. Cook. It was not anything against you. EVERY arena charges around the same prices. But not every arena tells a lady with a walker to go around a building of that size to enter. There is something called decency and respect and that is not how you treat elderly or handicapped people. Other than that what did I say negative in my post about your facility. I have more of a problem with our own organization than yours. I just thought after a long season of wrestling and expenses that these parents pay every weekend a tailgate would be a nice change. I do think your polocies were changed because of the contract being up although I would like to think it was because you listened ( I doubt) Reread my post from today and tell me something I said negative about your facilty other than the lower ticket booth. Feel free to call me if you would like.
620-327-4809 is my home number.
Jerry

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: State at Topeka [Re: Nedly] #145722 03/30/09 08:05 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Ned I have to ask. With all we know about each of the three sites is it necessary to do a visit to each?

Re: State at Topeka [Re: J. Dale] #145723 03/30/09 08:05 PM
J. Dale Offline
Buy the way there was no second shooter idiot.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: State at Topeka [Re: J. Dale] #145724 03/30/09 08:06 PM
windjammer Offline
Yes there was. Didn't you see that movie about it?

Re: State at Topeka [Re: Nedly] #145726 03/30/09 08:13 PM
M
mom4 Offline
M
I have been going to the kids state tournament for over 7 years now. I have yet to buy anything other than an occasional gatoraid at the concession stand. I don't sneak food in either. I would like to support the concession stands but our family is not higher income and every penny counts. So what I do is on the nice and sunny days, I pack a cooler and keep it in the car full of fruits/vegetables and sandwiches and we just go outside to eat. On wet and cold days like this weekend, we load up in the car and take a very short (less than 5 minute) drive to Sonic and eat in the car. With coupons, the price was very good. If the food was a little cheaper, I would support the concession stands but I just can't stomach spending 6.00 on a single hamburger or hotdog. I don't care how good it is, I still am not spending that kind of money when less than 2 blocks away I can buy a whole meal for the same price.

Other than the high price of food, the tournament was ran well. The only suggestions I would make for changes would be for the weigh-in on Friday. I personally think it would work so much better for the wrestlers and the parents if there were dividers at the beginning of the weigh-in so that all wrestlers were in single-line file waiting for the hair and skin-checks instead of being able to bunch up like they did (maybe even have a separate line for each district using the ropes like in movie theaters?). As it was, many of the younger kids were getting pushed by older kids and vice-versa and some even "disappeared" in the huge group making some newbie parents very nervous and upset. I also think that there needs to be a separate area for wrestlers to take off their clothes BEFORE they get in line for the table to get their card. Again, when you are jostling for a position to get in line and then having to step over piles of clothing left here and there, it can cause a mess. I know that there were several mothers that were nervous about the long wait for their son/daughter to get through the weigh-in. When your son/daughter is only 6 or 8 and going through the first time, it can/is pretty nerve racking waiting for them. But that is all. Again, had a great time and hopefully will be back next year.

Re: State at Topeka [Re: mom4] #145742 03/30/09 09:01 PM
W
wrstlmom1970 Offline
W
FYI-We did find out from security this weekend that you can actually bring your food from outside into the foyer where the ticket booths are at to eat. That is what we did. They told us it was okay to eat it there, but since that one company had the contract, it could not come past the turnstiles(not sure if that is what it is called that you walk through when you first go in to get into Exhibition Hall). We did eat our $1 burgers from Sonic out there, and not a single Expo Center employee or guard bothered us. Just thought everyone would like to know that little bit of information.

Sandra Hayes

Wrestle your hardest and leave it all on the mat everytime.
Re: State at Topeka [Re: gocats] #145800 03/30/09 11:43 PM
G
gymmom Offline
G
Just out of curiosity I checked today what rates at the Quality Inn would be for next weekend (Friday to Sunday). These are the same days we stayed there this last state weekend. We paid $119/per night for the Quality Inn! Not a great hotel but ok. Next weekend I could book it for $69.00/per night! They took advantage of us and everyone else that was there. I say move it to Wichita where there are so many hotels that they just won't benefit from jacking prices up because people will stay somewhere else and I will sleep in my own bed!!!

Last edited by gymmom; 03/31/09 10:21 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 187 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)