Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! #146067 04/01/09 06:36 PM
bullwrestler Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to all the Table Workers and others who helped make the this a great state tournament. Whoever is responsible for doing away with the Coach's Pass Necklaces THANK YOU so much! I truly believe there was more room on the floor due to this change. Coaches could come and go as needed without worrying about have Neck Pass to get back for their kids matches. There is nothing more frustrating than to watch your 6-8 year old head to his mat and you have to wait for someone to bring you a Pass. The Coaches Hospitality Area was nice as well. Hope they continue with both in 2010 and beyond. Next change should be to do away with the UP Only and DOWN Only stairs after the first hour of tournament. I can see why it is necessary during the Parade and early on, but once all the mats get started there is not a lot of congestion around the stairs most of the time.

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: bullwrestler] #146068 04/01/09 06:56 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: bullwrestler
Next change should be to do away with the UP Only and DOWN Only stairs after the first hour of tournament.

Remember, the tournament may not be back in Topeka after next year depending on the bids received from the potential host cities.

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: sportsfan02] #146076 04/01/09 08:28 PM
C
CBR's Dad Offline
C
I thought it depended on the vote!lol

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: CBR's Dad] #146077 04/01/09 08:53 PM
J. Dale Offline
Originally Posted By: CBR's Dad
I thought it depended on the vote!lol

sounds like you've already spoken to the board and are pretty confident that the vote will be topeka for the 24th year

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: J. Dale] #146088 04/02/09 12:29 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
I completely agree w/ Bullwrestler. In 5 years at state, the floor was less crowded this year then ever before. In fact, I think this was the best ran state tournament I have been too. Also, overall, no complaints with the expo staff. My first year at there, I thought they treated us worse then inmates. But, I beleive our complaints were listened too. To those who want this at Wichita - do you guys promoise the staff there will be as good as the staff at the Expo were this year??? That should be part of the bidding process?? Then base the decision on costs. Everything should be bid out - no charge for parking, plenty of room for all the coaches, no pat searches of the people coming in, and what will the ticket prices be. It should all be in the bid and then shown to the membership for their opinions prior to a decision.

But back to the coaching passes - this system worked GREAT. We should never go back to past system.

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: John Johnson] #146093 04/02/09 12:54 AM
2coach Offline
I agree that this was the best year at state. But I also think that the expo staff treated everyone so nice so they could try and get your vote so they could make it 24 years in a row. I really hope it goes to Wichita myself....

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: John Johnson] #146096 04/02/09 01:10 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: John Johnson
To those who want this at Wichita - do you guys promoise the staff there will be as good as the staff at the Expo were this year??? That should be part of the bidding process?? Then base the decision on costs. Everything should be bid out - no charge for parking, plenty of room for all the coaches, no pat searches of the people coming in, and what will the ticket prices be. It should all be in the bid and then shown to the membership for their opinions prior to a decision.

But back to the coaching passes - this system worked GREAT. We should never go back to past system.

One interesting note, the company that manages the Expo Center is the same one that will be managing the new arena in Wichita.

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: sportsfan02] #146098 04/02/09 01:14 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
what does the pat down have to do with the bid. thats for the saftey of all. guess if you want to pay for the metal detectors that would be even better and less hassle.

Scott Bockover
Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: bockman] #146117 04/02/09 11:17 AM
Mike Furches Offline
The issue with Topeka vs. Wichita isn't just the arena, it is the fleecing of the people who attend, things like 2 night minimums at hotels that jack up prices also come into play. I for one would like to see the event in Wichita for no other reason, that I believe USAWKS and her fans have been taken advantage of for far too long. While the event center may be managed by the same company, it is more than just the arena that made Topeka an unpleasant event for me over the years. Of course this year things were better, there was more cooperation, it is amazing what competition will do.

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: Mike Furches] #146120 04/02/09 12:00 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Thanks to everyone who helped put on the state tournament. This is only my 6th year going to it (a mere rookie compared to a lot of you) but I thought it was the best ran for all of the reasons mentioned above.

The coaches pass concept we implemented this year was GREAT!!!!! Do not change it! Heck, I saw Ned on Friday night and he was actually smiling, didn't see any grown adults grovelling and begging for coaches passes, etc.

I think there was 2 main changes that caused the floor clutter to be reduced this year....
1. The coaches pass policy. It seemed coaches would come to the floor, coach and then head back to the stands or out to the pavillion.
2. Great idea changing the location of the head table. It was great to be able to access and leave the wrestling are into the pavillion. It also made the parade a lot easier. GREAT IDEA and please keep it that way! (Ned I think this was your idea....great idea!!!!)

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this a great event for all of our kids!

Shawn Budke
Leavenworth County Spartans

Re: KS Kids State Tournament - No Coach's Pass Need! [Re: shawnbudke] #146128 04/02/09 01:04 PM
L
L Grater Offline
L
In case you didn't realize it, there was also more room on the floor because the tables were moved INSIDE the boards (except for two). In past years, they were outside the board on risers!!

In regards to some of the complaints, I've been around the State Tournament for years and have been involved with several bid processes. Whether we are in Salina, Topeka, Hays, Wichita, or wherever we might end up, we will have simliar problems with motels, prices, etc. Some of these "requirements", we bring on ourselves over time!! This could be from not working with our motel OR not following the rules. I can guarantee you, our State Tournament is ALOT cheaper than some other events I have attended simliar in calibier!!

Tickets fees are set by OUR organization. That is why they HAVE NOT increased for years!!! We are trying to keep some things at a lower cost to the fans.

There is ALOT to consider when we look at a venue but OVERALL, we want what is best for our organization and the kids!!

Great tournament and I personally want to thank EVERYONE for their assistance during the Kids State Tournament. Also, thanks to all the coaches who cleared paths for us when we tried to bring the carts around.

Leanna (Grater) Buckley

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 153 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)