Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Dissapointed in Brute! #146331 04/03/09 11:30 PM
B
Bob Miller Offline OP
OP Offline
B
For a "National" tournament I was terribly dissapointed. This was one of the worst ran tournaments I have ever been to. The refs were not good timekeeping was a disaster, skipping matches then going back to them, some kids wrestled on only 10 minutes rest. I talked to several people who were also unhappy, this was our first year going and i will not be taking my son back. Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts?

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: Bob Miller] #146333 04/04/09 12:07 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Bob,

I would suggest making your suggestions directly to Brute and also volunteer some of your time and help make changes. They work very hard at putting on a nice event and many many people volunteer 1,000 - 1,500 hours total - so kids can wrestle at a national/regional event. They do and will take your suggestions.
You should have been at the tournament (a few years back) when they ran kids and high school on the same day 2 days in a row - that was a huge problem and very congested. They have made changes every year on the go.

Sean McCarthy

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: smokeycabin] #146336 04/04/09 12:25 AM
Allie Offline
This was my sons first year at Brute. I don't have anything to compare it to except my expectations. I was able to find and keep a seat. A seat, that I might add that allowed me an excellent view. They ran 14 mats. My oldest daughter was recruited to help run a table - I know they didn't have near enough volunteers. I noticed that they skipped a match every now and again - but thought it rather smart rather than standing around waiting for a coach. I didn't see any knock down drag out fights between coaches and refs. (unlike a few state tournaments i've been to). My son got his warm up racing down the halls and ramps to get down on the floor. I got mine hiking to the bathroom or to see the "awesome" Irish singlet that he really, really wants. I appreciated the fact that they moved things right along and we were out of there by 3:00. Oh, and the Olympic champ that signed my sons singlet... although the daughter had to get that done... made my sons day. Let's not forget all the awesome wrestlers that came from the states beginning with I... wow, what incredible competition! (Iowa, Idaho, Illinois...yep, there was an Arkansas in there too).
My son learned today how to handle the disappointment of losing a match that would've had him wrestling for 1st/2nd with his head held high... rather than with an angry outburst and tears. He thinks its the BEST thing ever... how could I ever disagree with him?? I can't wait to watch him walk in on Sunday morning! We'll definately be back next year and more than likely will volunteer our help ahead of time.

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: Allie] #146347 04/04/09 02:50 AM
R
rockytop Offline
R
GREAT WRESTLING!!!!! I dont really like the drawn in seating!!! Come on?? TYLER DICKMAN and DANIEL LEWIS first match?? I seen a lot of that!! I guess thats how its ben for years!! Just seems a little unfair. Kinda robs kids out of singlets. I seen a lot of finals matches in the first two rounds!! Just an opinion!! Any one else??

rockytop
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: rockytop] #146348 04/04/09 03:00 AM
BLT Offline
They tried to give kids 2008 singlets because they ran out of 2009!
Whatever! lol

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: BLT] #146350 04/04/09 03:11 AM
D
dgoodrum Offline
D
If disappointed in the seating move up a few rows. The seeding is difficult because the folks who run this tournament are from PA. They don't know who each kid is like we do. They rely on input from local people to help out. Brute does this tournament to help raise money to support wrestling. They donate all of the proceeds to wrestling programs of all levels. Feel fortunate this tournament is in the midwest and easy to travel to . They give out great awards and try to do the right thing. It takes a ton of volunteers to run this size of tournament and make it succesful. Keep it in KC and step up to help. It does need to be moved back a week or two to be successful.

Last edited by dgoodrum; 04/04/09 03:13 AM.
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: BLT] #146351 04/04/09 03:11 AM
GarateKids Offline
what do you have to place to get a singlet?

Carlos Garate
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: GarateKids] #146352 04/04/09 03:19 AM
GarateKids Offline
what do you have to place to get a singlet?

Carlos Garate
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: GarateKids] #146354 04/04/09 03:25 AM
D
dgoodrum Offline
D
I believe finalists get a singlet

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: dgoodrum] #146355 04/04/09 03:27 AM
Butt-Head Offline
finalists do get a singlet.

this is going to be cool!
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: dgoodrum] #146356 04/04/09 03:42 AM
R
rockytop Offline
R
O.k. smart alleck I spelled seeding wrong. How do they seed all the other national tournaments?? Do they know all the kids that enter all them since most of the brackets there are huge!! Thanks!! I was just making a point. This tourney brings awesome wrestling and the help works their butts off!! We will be back every year till we are done with high school!! I was just making a suggestion and Im glad I dont get kicks out of spell checking every ones post DBADRUM!! OOPS!!!

rockytop
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: rockytop] #146363 04/04/09 11:32 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
If people go to a tournament for the first time and are not happy with it. then they get on here and rip it apart it never has a chance to grow into an awesome tournament. I have heard good and bad about Brute. I would hope the reason everyone goes there for is the competition for the kids. I see this tournament growing in the next 5 years if and only if they get the help and feedback to make it just that. Rather than getting on here complaining give your ideas to Brute so they know. They dont know whats going on cause they are too busy running it. Its easy to sit back and watch something and see all the bad things over all the good things. I hope my son gets to go to this tournament in the future. Would have been this year if we didnt have a baseball tournament this weekend.

Scott Bockover
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: bockman] #146367 04/04/09 12:11 PM
Allie Offline
Baseball should never take precedence over wrestling!! (Other than that I agree with you!!) smile

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: BLT] #146368 04/04/09 12:23 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Originally Posted By: BLT
They tried to give kids 2008 singlets because they ran out of 2009!
Whatever! lol

As one of the many volunteers for the tournament and handing out the singlets all I can say is because some wanted to change the sizes, we ran into issues. When they order these singlets they order specifically for the weight classes. I.E. if a kid is a 43# he gets a small. Some wanted to change and some of the gracious volunteers were making the swap. Well, when you get to the end, guess what, your numbers are off.

Also, there was a delay in getting the brackets to the volunteers since they were waiting for the backside to finish up. Hopefully this can be corrected. We and another Mom are making a list to give to the Brute directors.

Years ago when this tournament was really ran poorly, I stepped up and have since been enlisted into volunteer work from Thursday night thru Sunday evening. I do this because I hope this tournament stays in KC! Make sure that you give suggestions to Brute as they want nothing more than to fill up the brackets with quality wrestlers! Also, please volunteer. Give up a day and work a table. And I don't say that just for this tournament but all tournaments. If you are behind the scenes and see how a tournament runs you might just understand that not everything will run perfect at all times.

We are also suggesting more 3X coaches shirts...just for you big boys!

Last edited by wrestlingmom; 04/04/09 12:24 PM. Reason: additional comment

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: wrestlingmom] #146369 04/04/09 12:28 PM
S
S Biddle Offline
S
Brute dont seed at all, they said it was a blind draw.

Scott Biddle
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: Allie] #146370 04/04/09 12:29 PM
P
plumgang Offline
P
My son has gone to Brute the last 3 years, and there has been a vast improvement. In 2007, the tourney was held in a wide open space with VERY limited seating. There was so much congestion just from the wrestlers trying to get to matside that the spectators couldn't see their kids in action. It was disappointing. This year, I have a clear view of the mat my son is on. Seating is comfortable, and bathrooms are easily accessible. And this year, the competition was what you pay all that money and spend all that time looking for throughout the season. I hope the tournament continues to grow and improve.

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: plumgang] #146375 04/04/09 01:37 PM
B
Bob Miller Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I agree the competiton was very good and that is why we went I guess what I was trying to say is that for the amount of money it costs to go to brute I expected it to be a little more organized I wasn't trying to put the tournament down just offering my thoughts

Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: Bob Miller] #146376 04/04/09 01:44 PM
S
S Biddle Offline
S
Bob, I will agree with you. I was hoping it was more than it was. I went last year and was disappointed like you were this year. It's getting better. Competition is great. My eighth grader wrestled yesterday and my freshman son is wrestling there right now and I had my wife take the kids this year due to a pryor commitment, dang its killing me not being there. 3 nights of hotel is denting my pocket. Trackwrestling is not uddating as fast as i'd like either. But we will go back. It beats driving to Iowa which I have done many a time.

Scott Biddle
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: S Biddle] #146390 04/04/09 04:08 PM
C
CBR's Dad Offline
C
I volunteered for Brute and it has been a blast. Some friends and I helped with weigh ins on Friday and helped run bout sheets Saturday. Had plenty of time to coach my kids, and Jenny who runs the volunteers is a very cool lady. I got a free jacket a free pass and got to see some great wrestling. You can't beat it. I highly recommend it. On another note I did see some table workers have some issues with starting the clock and sometimes bout sheets were slow getting to some of the tables. This happens at every tournament. If you have an issue come and be a volunteer. Be someone who is doing something to make a change to make this tournament better than what it already is. PLease don't criticize this tournament and the people who ran it. I want to see it stay here in the mid west. Finally when you go to National Tournaments 20 minutes betwen matches usally doesn't apply. Cliff Keen we wrestled every 10 minutes on the back side. It's something that you get used to at national tournaments. The refs are some of the best in the nation, and Bob miller if you don't come back then you might as well not go to any other national tournaments either beacuse your going to walk away disappointed. You could compare Brute to other tournaments and find negative things to say but remember that many of those other national tournaments have been around for a very lond time and thay have the process of running a tournament of this scale down to a science.

Last edited by CBR's Dad; 04/04/09 04:09 PM.
Re: Dissapointed in Brute! [Re: CBR's Dad] #146525 04/05/09 08:30 PM
K
kchawkeye Offline
K
My boys have done the tournament for 2 years in a row. While, I think it is over priced for the entry fee and concessions and the cost to coach, I have gotten over that. The thing that really got me was the parking. Paying $7 to go to weigh-ins on Friday night was crazy. We were in there a total of 18 minutes, and that was for me to weigh-in 3 boys and to get my coaching stuff. I don't mind paying the $$ when we are going to be there all day, but for 18 min, that is just not right.

Then on Friday, it took me 25 minutes from when I turned on to 12th Street to the time I got into the parking lot. Of course, there was only 1 guy working and he didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get people in. Luckily, I was able to let my boys off (they are old enough now) and have them walk in to start getting ready while I waited in line to park. I don't know what it was like on Saturday, but Friday was a mess.

The boys like the tournament and that is great. Just some of these logistical things really get under my collar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 156 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)