Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Cokeley] #147377 04/18/09 07:22 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Osage pulled away 54-34 over Colorado Red.

Comanche lost a heartbreaker 42-44. At one point they were down 35-9! They pulled even but lost a couple of OT matches.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Cokeley] #147388 04/19/09 12:14 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Is there a tournament online results link?

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: smokeycabin] #147395 04/19/09 03:09 PM
Magnum811 Offline
From this morning per phone call
Pawnee in Gold bracket
Osage in Silver
Comanche and Kaw in Bronze

Pawnee lost 1st round to Missouri
Osage wins

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Magnum811] #147401 04/19/09 05:23 PM
Paratroop Offline
Any more results anyone?

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Paratroop] #147403 04/19/09 08:03 PM
Magnum811 Offline
Pawnee 6th in Gold
Osage 4th in Silver
Comanche 5th in Bronze over Kaw for 6th

They are getting ready to head home.

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Magnum811] #147419 04/20/09 01:02 PM
D
D Kretzer Offline
D
Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who helped put this together for all four Kansas Teams. Great experience for my son, and we really enjoyed the event as parents!!

Coach Kretzer
McPherson High School
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: D Kretzer] #147421 04/20/09 01:08 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
Gotta second that - We had a great time. Got to know some other really neat wrestling families from KS! Perhaps the boys had a little too much fun....as I told Will yesterday, our son mentioned something about failing and having to repeat 8th grade just so he could attend next year!

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Sudawn Bradley] #147430 04/20/09 04:45 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Big thanks to Will Cokeley for putting this thing together again. Big Thanks to Zach Roberson and Eric Luedke for coaching Team Pawnee. Hopefully Team Kansas was listening when they were told that Coach Zach and Coach Eric appreciated the effort, but we are behind on technique.

Big thanks to all of the other coaches as well. Big thanks to all the parents who helped with driving and "teenagersitting".

Biggest thanks goes to the parents who found a way to let their kids participate. Many lessons learned. "Mediocre/Newbie/average" kids that figured out a way to compete against kids from other states. Let's 'em know that a little work and sacrifice pays off. "Elite/advanced" kids that found out that there is always someone tougher out there. Keeps 'em working hard.

It is now time to start working on Schoolboy duals Freestyle and Greco team. If you have a kid born in 95 or 96, you are eligible. 93 and 94 is Cadets. Do some FS and Greco this summer, go to a few tourneys, go to Southern Plains camp and tourney, go to KS State FS and Greco which is in Towanda (just east of Wichita) this year. Go to a summer camp or two.

Let's make Kansas wrestling better. We are good. No question. Do we want to be the best? We have some work to do to catch up with the Pennsylvanias, Iowas, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, New Jerseys of this world. I would like for Zach Roberson and/or Eric Luedke to post what they told the boys after the Duals, so all could hear it. They saw the "Kansas tough" out of our kids, but we lack the technique and position that it takes to move to the next level.

Thanks again to all involved for another great trip.

Doug

Last edited by doug747; 04/20/09 08:11 PM.
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: doug747] #147453 04/20/09 09:22 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
One word sums up this past weekend, AWESOME!!

I appreciate the compliments but I want to thank all of the parents for sending the kids, the parents who came and supported the wrestlers, and specifically: Lori and Blaine Salmans for working the tables, Patty Ochs and Pam Washington for helping with the scoring and selling all of the t-shirts and shorts (they can sell anything!), Brian Wells and Mike Morrow for working the tables, Terry O'Leary for helping coach, Jason Bates for helping coach, Bryce Hasseman for helping coach, Zach Roberson for helping coach, Eric Luedke for helping coach, Doug Vander Linden for coaching, Jerry Dale for Coaching, Joel Hood for coaching, Jared Morrow and John Johnson for coaching and helping with the alternates, John Rodriquez and Darin Denning for coaching, FINALLY Doug Eck, Loren Armstrong, Joel Hood, Mike Morrow, Brian Wells, Doug Vander Linden, Jason Bates, Duane Wuthnow, Mark Dulgarian, Kendall Adler, Richard Ortiz, and John Rodriquez for driving vans.

The kids were all great. They fought hard and left it all on the mat. Some of them were frustrated as the competition was as tough as it gets. I know they will never forget this trip. The team aspect, the friendships, the stories, the experience is priceless.

I hope to see all of the 7th graders back next year. I am beginning a plan RIGHT NOW to create a Middle School tournament next year. Top four will be on the teams and we will take five alternates from the 5th placers. I am talking with some people now about hosting it in a high school in the middle of the state on the Sunday after Wichita classic. Feedback??

Thanks again for making the Middle School Duals a great experience for the kids!

Will

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Cokeley] #147467 04/21/09 01:41 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Regarding the middle school tourney: I think you are still going to have to allow for some "criteria" for kids that may be a clear 1st teamer, but can't make the Sunday tourney. I feel like there were very few, if any, mistakes in placing kids on teams. It would be cool if we could make a tourney like that work. Center of the state somewhere? Probably wouldn't take too long to run, since it would only be 7th and 8th graders. I don't know how many people asked me "how many teams did Kansas bring?!!" and when I would tell them "4" they were baffled as to how we do it. Like someone said earlier on this subject, "watch the names of the kids that participated in these dual events" at the high school level.

My hat is off to Pennsylvania for winning the thing, but from what I understand, they had over 300 kids apply for positions on the ONE team that they brought. You would think that they would have tried harder to help more kids and put together several teams. (which they do for the Schoolboy duals)

I think Kansas realizes that this is simply a step up the ladder to becoming a good high school, and possibly college, wrestler. And the more kids that participate, the more quality kids we have competing at a high level, which in turn makes all of the Kansas kids better.

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: doug747] #147471 04/21/09 02:27 AM
usawks1 Offline
... and I join those that applaud the efforts of Will and all the crew! It is mammoth chore organizing four teams, coaches, travel, etc..

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: usawks1] #147474 04/21/09 04:44 AM
W
wekendcoach Offline
W
Iowa wrestling dad. I'm going to keep this post generic since I've read your results board and saw no reference to Team Kaws 152 and Hvwt recruits. The Browns and McCrakens would sincerely like to thank Team Kaw for the opportunity to compete Sat. and Sun. We were able to at the very least work the individual medal part. And thanks to the Team Kaw, we took home a team bronze!I don't know about the hvwt(McCracken) but Zack met a few kids on your team that just made him giggle like a girl when talked about the days events on Sat. night. That meant a lot to him and me also. It really helped lighten our load concidering the extreme stress we were under with the situation we were in. If I may I would like to make a couple of comments on what I observed as an outsider looking in. I watched 180 Kaw/Comanche vs. The Ripped matches and saw: #1 Fearless Kansas Kids no matter how outgunned they were. When their bouts were coming up, they could look over the mat and see their opponents were at times, heavily Armed. They held their head up higher,warmed up harder, RAN out to the mat, and I could swear that at times it looked like before they shook hands,spit, and said to themselves,"Lets do this!" #2 They fought to the very end. It was king of the hill, they weren't going to givem an inch and they were serious about it! #3 No one cried. If there was a tear it from the opponents finger in their eye. There were a number of those. #4 And finally, there attitude after each match was just stellar. No matter what happened on the mat, they RAN to the other corner to shake the oppoents coaches hands. To Coaches Kaw/Comanche; you guys were great. You looked, acted, and reacted in concerned, professional manner.Thanks again. Did I mention my wife is from Toepeka? Mike. joe_brown_boss@yahoo.com

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: wekendcoach] #147484 04/21/09 12:11 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree that we will have to accomodate for the BEST of the BEST but I would hope that if we plan this out far enough and make it simple we will have nearly ALL of the middle school kids who want to go. 6th graders will be allowed to participate in the state event as well as they are eligible. I am thinking this might be sanctioned a by a different organization as well since Kansas USA Wrestling won't accomodate USA Middle School National Duals maybe we need to support an organization who can accomodate us.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Cokeley] #147492 04/21/09 02:18 PM
J. Dale Offline
Will,
I want to personally thank you for all the time and effort that you put into making this happen and also let you know that it was an honor being on the mat for the kids of Team Osage. Every kid on our team left it all on the mat win or lose. It was very impressive sitting in the hotel parking lot of the hotel and watching team kansas vans pull in one after the other. I believe there was 9 or 10 vans pulling in at the same time. Every kid that I watched this weekend represented Kansas with dignity and got to experience something that they will NEVER forget. If you haven't experienced this you need to get involved as your kid will have the trip of their lives. Thanks for everything you do and don't get in trouble next time. LOL

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: J. Dale] #147494 04/21/09 05:03 PM
G
Gonzo The Bus 58 Offline
G
Cokely,
I wanted to thank you, for giving me and the rest of these excellent athletes a chance to see actual wrestling. after seeing what youve done for all these young men and I, you have made one of the biggest impacts on all of our lives, and i know we will never forget the memories our teams had together evenif it was only a two day event. thanks again
"Anthony Gonzalez with a Z!"

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Gonzo The Bus 58] #147496 04/21/09 05:36 PM
P
plumgang Offline
P
Anthony: Does your teacher know you're posting on the internet? Aren't you supposed to be doing some homework or listening to a lecture or something right now?

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Cokeley] #147498 04/21/09 08:46 PM
MrWizzzard Offline
Hey so called Cokeley,

Come out west for a change! I'm keeping my eye on you. You are doing great work but don't forget your roots. We got sommma that good wrestling out here too don't forget.

Last edited by MrWizzzard; 04/21/09 08:49 PM.

The West side is the BEST side.
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: doug747] #147504 04/22/09 12:08 AM
Nick's Dad Offline
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. We had a great time and really appreciate the effort that all the people, Cokeley and the coaches, drivers and others that put this together.

Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: Nick's Dad] #147505 04/22/09 12:17 AM
firehawk88 Offline
Will,
Have to say "Ditto" to what a lot of others are saying. We had a good time, my son enjoyed the competition and we got to see where the rest of the country is at. Just wish Bryant's one loss wasn't to Missery. That team loss to Illinois hurt, because it seemed like we had enough talent but just didn't get the "W". Appreciate the hard work and will enjoy watching all of these kids in high school over the next few years.

Last edited by firehawk88; 04/22/09 12:39 AM. Reason: Correction

Larry Woltje
Re: Middle School Duals 2009 Report [Re: firehawk88] #147509 04/22/09 02:59 AM
F
Full Contact Offline
F
Iowa Wrestling Dad; Thanks for the post. I can assure you the experience for Team Kaw would not have been the same without the services of the dynamic duo of Iowa's Brown and McCracken. Kaw was having a ruff time swallowing the 3 point loss to South Dakota in duel #1 after giving them 12 free points because 152 and heavy were open weights. My older son Jared has had fun telling the locals the recruitment story. After fracturing his back in football last Fall and losing wrestling this season he has been trying to fill his competitive itch by coaching and helping his younger brother. Who knew that he had acquired such good recruiting skills? It was amazing to watch how fast the two Iowa kids were accepted as part of Team Kansas Kaw. And certainly not to take anything away from the performance of the other Team Kaw kids, but given the pins and points posted by Brown and McCracken they certainly made the difference in the end (literally) on a couple of duels. Both my boys were amazed at skill level and the work ethic of both Iowa kids. Their ability to keep digging until they finished their moves was most impressive. It's what we stress as coaches but it seemed to sink-in with them watching the Iowa/Kaw kids. In fact, Jared said that he wished I would video taped Zack's matches so he could study how he wrestled and that's a high school sophomore wanting to learn from him! Thanks again for not only being great hosts all weekend but taking the chance and allowing the alliance and the friendships to unfold. My kids both had a great wrestling experience and made some lifetime memories that they won't forget. This sport has always been so much more than just hanging hardware on the wall. This weekend proved that. Thank you Zack and Big Mac! You always have a place to stay while in Kansas. Coach Morrow ~ who served as table worker Morrow all weekend! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 171 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)