Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: HEADUP] #156303 01/16/10 10:29 PM
roughly Offline
Does anybody know anything about this tournament? Did it even take place? TW says that no teams have been added to the tournament. Now I realize that this doesn't necessarily mean anything, certainly before the tournament kicks off, but if it ran/is running as planned, SOMETHING should be up on TW? What gives?

Rob Roughly
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: roughly] #156304 01/16/10 10:49 PM
GarateKids Offline
they are not using Track Wrestling!

Carlos Garate
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: GarateKids] #156309 01/16/10 11:44 PM
W
win by pin Offline
W
was just wondering how many entries sprawl had? I seen some of the trophies from the tournament and they were impressive

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: GarateKids] #156310 01/16/10 11:52 PM
djackson Offline
Great venue with lots of room. Got a little late start but once it got going it went smooth. Hopefully next year more will attend and support this. Glad we went and will attend next year. The kids loved the awards also. I forgot full mats for everyone.

Last edited by djackson; 01/17/10 01:35 AM.

Don Jackson
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: djackson] #156349 01/17/10 02:16 AM
GarateKids Offline
full mats for everyone,,, Awesome,, where the results going to be posted?

Carlos Garate
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: GarateKids] #156403 01/17/10 02:34 PM
WOOD_WON Offline
I want to congratulate Russ Allen, Juan Eldridge and Craig Gash for starting what will become a GREAT tournament. Yes, it did start late. But, first reason was due to the fog. Second was MR GASH making sure everyone wrestled as many maches as possible. Craig, you did and do a great job as a tournament director.

To get a high quality tournament started with great competition you have to have 2 things. 1. VENUE 2. HARDWARE. Both of these were at the top of what we have seen from our travels across the nation. IMO. They have the base for this thing to grow.

Were there bumps yesterday? Yes. Will they work them out in the YEARS to come? Yes.

For a first year tournament, this tournament went very smoothly.

Again,
Thanks for a great day and 6 great matches guys.

"Champions rise during the week not the weekend"
Jason Wood
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: WOOD_WON] #156413 01/17/10 03:17 PM
R
Roost Offline
R
I am glad to hear that the Sprawls went on and finished well...but I could not imagine on top of paying the enterince fee paying to get in and a fee to park- to have my two wrestle and to get in with my family would have been a fortune. Were you allowed to bring in coolers? Was concessions reasonable or outragous? I know what it is like at state- compariable?

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: Roost] #156429 01/17/10 04:27 PM
C
Crash99 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I would first of all like to post a "Thank You" to all the people who came out to Hartman arena and supported the tournament. Yes, we did have a few bumps along the way and started late. And, yes there were a few more bumps once we got started. But, overall I felt the event went off pretty well. Yes, we will take our lumps and those that have criticism please go ahead and post those comments in a nice manner and we will take the comments into consideration. I know there are several things to be improved upon for next year and those items will be addressed.

I will be working this week to tally results and will try to get the results posted on usawks.com and 3onesixproductions.com as soon as possible.

There were representatives for the Classic in attendance which I spoke to and all eyes were on how to pull off the Classic this year in the arena. Sprawl Nationals is NOT associated with the Classic, but we helped the organizers get an overall picture of the venue and ideas for their tournament.

I also talked with one of our bigger sponsors who came to the tournament to see how his group's money was being spent and he was impressed not only with the awards but also with the layout and the competition that he witnessed.

Again, I would like to say thank you to everyone involved and with everyone's support this event can only get better and bigger for years to come.

Sincerely,

Craig Gash

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: highcrotch] #156432 01/17/10 04:50 PM
A
awrestlersmom Offline
A
Thank you to the coaches at Chapparel and Haysville for coaching my boys at Sprawls Nationals. I truely due appreciate you time and efforts. They had a great weekend. Thanks again! Hope to see you soon!

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: Roost] #156434 01/17/10 04:58 PM
Cyclone Offline
We did not attend a tournament yesterday (wrestle middle school), so do not know all the details regarding parking and gate fees for Sprawl Nationals.

However,if you attend the Wichita Classic or State, you don't pay a fee for your wrestler(s) or coaches to enter the venue. Other family members do have to purchase a ticket to enter. (Am sure those entry fees vary from place to place.)

In the past we have not paid a fee at the Classic to park (maybe at one time there was, I don't know) nor do we pay when we attend State. That is because we are at the Plaza, so there may be a fee at State. Again, I don't know about a parking fee yesterday.

At the Classic as well as State you are not allowed to bring coolers in. Hartman Arena is probably no different than any other venue (Intrust Bank Arena, Coliseum) that has private contracts for their concessions. That is generally how it is handled, no coolers inside.

It is obviously going to cost more to attend a tournament of this caliber at this type of venue as opposed to a kids club tournament held at a high school. We have only attended tournaments in Kanas and Oklahoma, but it is the same there, tickets to enter if you are a not a wrestler/coach and no coolers. We have also not paid a parking fee in Tulsa or Oklahoma City. (This is for tournaments not being held at a high school.)

-Chris

Live YOUR life, not the life others want you to live.
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: Cyclone] #156438 01/17/10 05:07 PM
A
awrestlersmom Offline
A
There were no parking fees at Sprawls. Gate entry was 6 dollars for adults and kids 12 and under were free. Wrestlers/Coaches did not pay gate price. Concessions were a little pricey but not ridiculous. No coolers inside but you could go out and come back in as you pleased. There was excellent seating! You could see all the mats from where ever you sat. The accomodations at that facility are fantastic for wrestling events. I am sure Wichita Classic will be even nicer at that facility. Sprawls was nice with a few glitches and I hope next year it gets better. My boys loved the trophies and medals. There were very nice- engraved an all! Kudos to Sprawls for the giveaways! Were gonna try it again next year....

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: awrestlersmom] #156440 01/17/10 05:15 PM
KMac Offline
I was unable to attend the tournament, but sent my son with another parent from our team. Although the tourney started late, I want to give them kudos for the re-bracketing that they did. My son was combined with the next weight class higher and had a total of 6 kids. We have never attended a tournament where that would be anything other than an 8-man bracket. So if my kid received a bye and was lucky enough to stay on the front side of the bracket, that would result in a total of 2 matches. However, the SPRAWL guys made that a 6-man Round Robin (on full mats)and my son and each kid in the bracket was able to get 5 matches. It normally takes two weekends to get 5 matches. He only got 4 matches at USJOC. Thanks for bracketing for the benefit of the kids. I hope that you can find a good date on the calendar for next year and that the tournament grows into something that all of KS will support for many years.

Kevin McCracken

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: KMac] #156444 01/17/10 06:21 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
I think this will grow next year as long as they keep the fees down and make it on a weekend that is not too close to anything else. Hope that is the case next year and hope that our club can support this in the future.

Scott Bockover
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: bockman] #156449 01/17/10 06:34 PM
Hossus Offline
I agree keep it in between USJOC and Tulsa Nationals. That way you get a nice little series of tough meets in this general region.

Fortune assists the daring.
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: bockman] #156450 01/17/10 06:33 PM
H
highcrotch Offline
H
How many entries were there?

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: dagwood] #156495 01/17/10 11:48 PM
D
dagwood Offline
D
Originally Posted By: dagwood
I have only one question. Why after sending an email followed by a telephone call that we could not make this new date did our check that we wrote in November post to my bank account on Tuesday?

Got refund check in the mail Saturday. Thank you for a quick resolution and I hope we can attend next year.

Darren Newton
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: dagwood] #156500 01/18/10 12:02 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i know i stinks, but usually when you go to big tournaments prices are higher. have always paid to park at tulsa (last 2 years excluded), and liberty. most go for the competition, and don't worry too much about the rest. i'm glad we have got another great tournament in ks. hope next year we can put it on our schedule.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: HEADUP] #156503 01/18/10 12:19 AM
M
MacLaughlin Offline
M
We would love to attend as well and hope it doesn't conflict with another another great local club.

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: HEADUP] #156504 01/18/10 12:19 AM
M
MacLaughlin Offline
M
We would love to attend as well and hope it doesn't conflict with another great local club.

Re: Sprawl Nationals [Re: awrestlersmom] #156545 01/18/10 04:19 AM
R
Roost Offline
R
thanks for the info- not like the lecture from cyclone----I do not mind paying the price to go to state- my kids work hard to get there-

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 162 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)