Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What it means to be a coach and parent or both. #157990 01/28/10 02:55 AM
B
bockman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just went to a parent university talk about bullying and how to be a better parent. It was put on by a gentleman with the last name Williams from Nashville. Thought I would share just a couple things on this because I did have tears in my eyes when I left tonight. The biggest thing I want to share is this. He said when we are busy as parents we might be lucky to spend 15 minutes a night with our kids. I agreed. We get home from wrestling practice 3 nights a week at 8:30. Out of that 15 minutes it says we spend 12 of those minutes telling them what they did wrong or complaining about something. 3 minutes used to give them praise. thats when the tears started coming down. I had to agree with him in all aspects. It made me think of coaching. I am guilty and know alot of you are guilty to. thoughout the practice and after matches how much time do we spend telling the kids what they should have done or what they did wrong rather than what they did right. I know there will some of you in here say is this the same idiot that was ramping on with matman and sportsfan about stupid crap. yes that was me. After my wife sat me down and showed me what kind of idiot I looked like on here I agreed to do nothing but positve things in this forum in the future. I hope some of you take this as a positive if not then thats your life. We just have to remember to let the kids be kids at some point and pushing them to the boiling point is not what we want later in life.

Scott Bockover
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: bockman] #157995 01/28/10 03:24 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Scott,

When I was overseas for a year, I spent a lot of time following this forum when I had down time. There were a number of times, quite a few in fact, that I thought if everyone had to spend a year away from their wife and kids, away from wrestling, baseball, soccer, band concerts, birthdays, anniversaries, the holidays, etc., that they would really learn to appreciate what they have at home. We all get a little too absorbed in the little things, many which we can not control, and forget about the special things that we have when we are able to spend time with family and friends.

I look back at the toughest time I had when I was gone. My son was spending the night with a friend and teammate in Olathe so that he could travel down to a tournament with his family the next day. I got an email from his friend's mom saying that my son woke up around midnight and started to cry. He told her that he wished his dad was home. You talk about tears, that was the only time that I had them rolling down my face the whole year I was away. I have really learned to value and enjoy the time I have with my family.

Lee Girard
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: bockman] #158007 01/28/10 05:05 AM
cmmiller64 Offline
Scott,

I don't know you other than from reading your posts on this forum, but based on what you wrote here tonight, I do have a new found respect for you. I look forward to your positive contributions in the future, and I hope others can learn through your example!

Chad Miller
Kansas City Wrestling Club
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: cmmiller64] #158010 01/28/10 12:05 PM
N
n7m13c99 Offline
N
Thank you for listening to that man and realizing he was talking to you and not some other guy. Your wife and kids are lucky to have you. Hope it works for you.

Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: n7m13c99] #158012 01/28/10 12:33 PM
W
wrstlmom1970 Offline
W
Thank you for the insight. I hope everyone on here can take this lesson and use it, I know I will.

Sandra Hayes

Wrestle your hardest and leave it all on the mat everytime.
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: wrstlmom1970] #158022 01/28/10 02:33 PM
B
bockman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I had a person send me a private message asking me what I was getting to. I am going to ask you a question that I heard when I was sitting listening to Mr. Williams. He asked if you died today would you feel comfortable leaving your family the way you are today. Man that makes you sit and think for a minute. He asked do your kids tell you that they love you every day and do you say it back. Not only to my own kids but I will probably try and input that before we leave wrestling practice each night. My final look on this is not one person here knows what tomarrow brings so hopefully if that happens we can say that we would feel comfortable with the kind of person we are before that day comes. Now dont get me wrong you will still see me pushing the kids and yelling at the tournaments cause thats just me but I do have a new out look on kids and sports these days.

Scott Bockover
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: bockman] #158040 01/28/10 03:54 PM
68Miller Offline
In my opinion, it takes a real man to go the parent university and listen with an open mind and be able to sit back and be willing to change some things. I've said this on another post but I didn't know Scott from anything but his posts on here before this last weekend at Tulsa, and from what I saw down there, he is already doing A LOT of things right with his son and the kids in their club. Class act and I wouldn't hesitate a second to let my son go wrestle with them again and am sending my son down to Scott's house this summer for a few days so he can go to their camp. And trust me, there isn't very many coaches or parents that I would allow my son to do that with. Guess what I'm saying is I know what "your getting to" and your post has made me sit back and re-evaluate a few things also. The last thing I tell my son before he walks on the mat and the first thing I tell him when he walks off (win or lose) is "I love you". And "please don't bridge with all his weight on you"haha

Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: ReDPloyd] #158054 01/28/10 05:21 PM
bearsdad Offline
reDPloyd

tears in my eyes when i was done reading your post thanks for everything that you do

Last edited by bearsdad; 01/28/10 05:22 PM.
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: 68Miller] #158056 01/28/10 05:23 PM
J
JointBoysMom Offline
J
What a great post!! Thanks for sharing

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly"
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: JointBoysMom] #158070 01/28/10 06:32 PM
usawks1 Offline
smile

Last edited by usawks1; 01/28/10 06:33 PM.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: usawks1] #158085 01/28/10 08:01 PM
B
bockman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Also just want to share a couple sayings that our coaches have brought into our room. Its a marathon, not a sprint. Noah did not build his arc in one day. I thank Max and Terry for bringing that into our practice room. I think we have some of the best coaches in the world when it comes to the kids. Im sure you will see us at some tournaments and in the practice room get what seems crazy at times but when it comes to one on one time that time is very important to those kids. So if we look foolish at times trust me its not what it looks like sometimes. We will fight for each and every kid to win but you have to be a sport when losing to be a true champion.

Scott Bockover
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: bockman] #158091 01/28/10 08:29 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
exactly right, i told my son at the beginning of the year, that i didn't care win or lose as long as he tried hard.

who remembers the kid at the top of the 6u podium from 12years ago?

scott im so impressed there really is a heart in there, wow.lol.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: HEADUP] #158094 01/28/10 08:43 PM
B
bockman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
its never too late for yes even me to grow up and learn something. the challenge is to stay on the path. im sure i will tend to sway away from it once in a while but thats what makes our club great. We have 6 coaches from all different backgrounds and will cover for each other.

Scott Bockover
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: usawks1] #158136 01/29/10 02:09 AM
Allie Offline
Congratulations. It takes a big person to recognize a short coming and then actually take the steps necessary to change their way of thinking AND acting in order to correct the problem. (Plus, actually listening to your wife! smile ) I am sure your children will appreciate your new persona as well.
As an educator (as well as my son's biggest fan and sometimes coach) I can tell you how much of an impact your behavior has on your child. Everyday of my working career, I have spent hours trying to soothe the weary souls of children who feel they haven't lived up to their parents expectations. Thank you for coming to "the other side"...

Alison Ostertag
Effingham Kids Wrestling Club

Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: Allie] #158147 01/29/10 04:06 AM
D
Defref Offline
D
I will say this for all the wrestling parents, even the slightly crazed ones, wrestling forces you to spend some quality time with your wrestler...more than the average of 15 minutes a night. You are showing an interest, getting them away from TV and video games, getting them into a social setting, teaching them rules and consequences. Wrestling is good for kids. Parents are good for kids. The trick is to not let the emotions of the match, or the need to win, get in the way of all the good stuff. That's not easy.

Last edited by Defref; 01/29/10 04:07 AM.
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: Defref] #158149 01/29/10 04:36 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Defref
I will say this for all the wrestling parents, even the slightly crazed ones, wrestling forces you to spend some quality time with your wrestler...more than the average of 15 minutes a night.

Quality time with your wrestler, no doubt about it. With all the trips Garrett and I made up and down 10 highway to go to practice, I was able to turn him into a huge Styx fan. It didn't stop there, we had to listen to Styx going to and returning from tournaments. Unfortunately, my cd player in my car shot craps last year. I am sure that he will remember our time together every time he hears a Styx song on the radio for many years to come.

Lee Girard
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: ReDPloyd] #158153 01/29/10 04:59 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Quality time with your dad (circa 1972-1973). Speaking of memories, I still remember listening to Carly Simon singing You're So Vain on the radio when I was going with my dad to his brick laying jobs in the Rambler station wagon. That is the reason I know my son will remember listening to Styx (many songs) while we were going to practices and tournaments.

Lee Girard
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: ReDPloyd] #158174 01/29/10 01:26 PM
Beeson Offline
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto, Domo.

Signed,

Kilroy

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: Beeson] #158177 01/29/10 01:44 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto, Domo.

Signed,

Kilroy

I actually saw Styx during their Mr Roboto tour in Wichita many years back. Dennis Deyoung was getting a little too creative for the rest of the band when he starting doing the theatrical stuff (ultimately killing the band at that time). My wife and I came out of a long concert hibernation and went to see Styx and REO Speedwagon last fall in Kansas City. It was a great concert and my wife called back to the house so that my boys could listen in on a few Styx songs.

Lee Girard
Re: What it means to be a coach and parent or both. [Re: ReDPloyd] #158183 01/29/10 02:02 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
my 5 year old is hooked on "eye of the tiger", it's amazing how some songs/artists transcend generations. i'm trying to get him into metallica, pantera, godsmack, the heavy stuff, but mama doesn't approve too much.

what mama don't know won't hurt her

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 121 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)