Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: dean70] #160246 02/15/10 12:52 PM
E
effwhyeye Offline
E
What happened that the St Mary's kid got DQ'ed?

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Cokeley] #160247 02/15/10 12:55 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Wow! That is how to sum it up! I didn't keep track of everything but we had over 950 wrestlers enter, 12 mats, 25 officials, 100 or so scratch, 500 plus hamburgers, and countless drinks. Wrestlemania 2010 at Saint James Academy is over (until Freestyle, don't tell the parents!) I just wanted to thank everyone for coming and especially all of the help from other clubs...Jeff & Paula Broadbent, Joe Knecht (trackwrestling GURU!), Tuff Hermreck on the mircrophone (perhaps the next Bob Gonzales!), Sharon Henes, Darren and Missy Gowin, East KS WC parents, and all of the Saint James Academey parents. A big THANKS to Jimmy Muehlberger for all of his hours of help! We all owe the folks at Saint James a big standing ovation for letting us use their facility! Next year we are shooting for 400 or less open wrestlers and 350 or less Novices wrestlers. We just don't have the space to put all of the fans! Hope to see you there next year!

Will, I noticed that you forgot to thank the refs. I sure hope that it was just an oversight. Great tournament, good competition, A+ hospitality, nice facility. My only complaint are the roundabouts, I mean I was dizzy for a couple of hours after going in so many circles. AND lastly please keep Tuff on the mic, first thing saturday somebody gets on there and start hollering, and some kid turns to me and says what is that lady saying on the p.a.? i said i dunno, and turned to look, and it was YOU!!!

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: HEADUP] #160251 02/15/10 01:36 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
Will, I noticed that you forgot to thank the refs. I sure hope that it was just an oversight. Great tournament, good competition, A+ hospitality, nice facility. My only complaint are the roundabouts, I mean I was dizzy for a couple of hours after going in so many circles. AND lastly please keep Tuff on the mic, first thing saturday somebody gets on there and start hollering, and some kid turns to me and says what is that lady saying on the p.a.? i said i dunno, and turned to look, and it was YOU!!!

HEADUP,

I thanked each them personally with a check! smile We did have a good crew. We cannot do a tournament without them! I really enjoyed seeing four high school wrestler and one middle school wrestler out there in stripes. The future of our sport is dependent upon our successful development of new officials. Hats off to Denny Hensley for getting his son on the mat with a whistle to replace him when the time comes.

Thanks to all of the officials across the state for making our tournaments possible!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Cokeley] #160254 02/15/10 02:17 PM
C
Chris Marcum Offline
C
Man, I don't know if we were at the same tournament or not. We will never be back to this tournament, we had nothing but problems on our mat. No bout cards, duplicate #'s, you have no clue when you were wrestling, horrible officiating(can't speak for everyone on this we had the same guy all day), delay after delay, no brackets for champions, way too many entries for that facility. I overheard several conversations with the same thoughts.

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Chris Marcum] #160256 02/15/10 02:36 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: CC's Dad
Man, I don't know if we were at the same tournament or not. We will never be back to this tournament, we had nothing but problems on our mat. No bout cards, duplicate #'s, you have no clue when you were wrestling, horrible officiating(can't speak for everyone on this we had the same guy all day), delay after delay, no brackets for champions, way too many entries for that facility. I overheard several conversations with the same thoughts.

Mr CC's Dad:

To address your issues:

1) Yes, WAY too many people for our facility. I wanted to cap our tournament at 450 wrestlers entered which would be about 400 attending when you factor in average scratches. I gave everyone the liberty of signing up online or via US Mail. My mistake! There is NO WAY to control the number of entries. Next year it will be capped at 400 and NO MAIL INS or EMAIL. It will all be done on trackwrestling and after 400 the system will turn away wrestlers. I do not like to turn away those who want to compete.

2) We had a coach meeting to verify scratches. I read every scratch off and due to using on site and remote weigh ins we had confusion. We posted the brackets and a handful of wrestlers were left off. Next year all weigh ins will be done by the club or on site on Friday night. If your wrestler isn't email verified for weigh in or did not weigh in on site they will be scratched. No questions. Again, I didn't want to turn anyone away.

3) The color toner on our printer ran out preventing a quality championship bracket from being able to be printed. I offered to mail one to anyone who wanted. A simple email request with an address.

4) Sorry about the official.

It was our first year to host in this facility. We elected to give more mat space and less bleacher space. We won't make the same mistake twice. Thanks for the feedback!! Good luck the rest of the year.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Cokeley] #160264 02/15/10 03:16 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Have to give a big thumbs up to Zak Hensley officiating on our mat yesterday (mat #3). He did a great job and he had the little guys / girls who at times have a dizzying amount of reversals, takedowns and escapes! We never had a coach come to the table and question his scoring!

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: wrestlingmom] #160268 02/15/10 03:32 PM
B
bigelow7275 Offline
B
The St. Mary's wrestler was DQ'ed for poor sportsmanship and a illegal crossface which was thrown when he was up in his second match 13-3. My son was one of the boys that he beat, and after he pinned my son he basically tossed him off to the side like he was a piece of trash. Then in his second match he thru the illegal crossface. I feel that these incidents could be prevented if the wrestler was reprimanded for his actions. I personally spoke to the official after the incident with my son and I was informed that the coaches had not even told the wrestler that he was in the wrong. I just feel that all around this was poor sportsmanship on both the wrestler and the coaches, for allowing this type of behavior. These are the types of incidents that create future problems. I feel that if this boy continues these types of actions then he should no longer be allowed to gain a USA wrestling card. I really hope that the disqualification on Saturday is a lesson learned and this does not happen again. Thank You

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: bigelow7275] #160274 02/15/10 04:02 PM
R
ravincan Offline
R
nice job Will we will be back

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Cokeley] #160286 02/15/10 04:58 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Cokeley

HEADUP,

I thanked each them personally with a check! smile We did have a good crew. We cannot do a tournament without them! I really enjoyed seeing four high school wrestler and one middle school wrestler out there in stripes. The future of our sport is dependent upon our successful development of new officials. Hats off to Denny Hensley for getting his son on the mat with a whistle to replace him when the time comes.

Thanks to all of the officials across the state for making our tournaments possible!

just joshin, haha. great job, but i guess you can't make every one happy. i would come back next year for sure. look at it as suggestions for improvement, corrections of errors rather than complaints and next year those who chose to go elsewhere will simply miss out.

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: ravincan] #160289 02/15/10 05:08 PM
U
up4wrestling Offline
U
Very good matches..great wrestling..with that said... not alot of space for watching...too crowded on the floor and the 12u could have used bigger wrestling areas other than the 1/4 mat space in the main gym. The Ref on Mat 11 was not overly impressive and looked as though he'd rather be anywhere but there! All things that can and I am sure be fixed by next year!
Thanks for an overall good experience...I'll be emailing you for a Championship Bracket 12U 100 Lucas Lovvorn.

Thanks,
Kim Lovvorn

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Cokeley] #160355 02/15/10 08:46 PM
B
BEN100VIC Offline
B
I Think I have heard you talk about paying the refs more than once but thats there job right? Well dont get me wrong Zach did do a great job and along with a few other refs.But we had the real tall skinny guy that was more worried about pulling up his sleeves and fixing his shirt to watch the matches he had two calls that should of been called p.d. but i think he was pulling up his sleeves to see any way the kids all get hurt and Im good with that but I know two kids that had to leave hurt because no p.d. was called.So I would personaly like to thank the ref. You guys also said you would limit the kids to 450 I think the man with the big wallet got gready and let in about 570 saturday,you had no where near enough room for that many kids!I heard alot of people giving out the KS web just to write in about just how bad your tournament really was

Last edited by BEN100VIC; 02/15/10 08:47 PM.
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: BEN100VIC] #160357 02/15/10 08:55 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
I have a question since I was not able to attend either of these tournaments. Are the criticisms primarily regarding the East Kansas Open or were both tournaments overcrowded? Just curious if the topic should be split if the problems are primarily related to one of the two days.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: LancerLou] #160358 02/15/10 08:59 PM
B
BEN100VIC Offline
B
The Sat.tournament also we was on mat 11

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: LancerLou] #160408 02/16/10 01:43 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: LancerLou
I have a question since I was not able to attend either of these tournaments. Are the criticisms primarily regarding the East Kansas Open or were both tournaments overcrowded? Just curious if the topic should be split if the problems are primarily related to one of the two days.

i think both tourneys were crowded, but i think they did the best with what they had. schools just don't build gyms for wrestling tournaments. i haven't been to a single tournament that i didn't feel was crowded, ever (over 25 years). you don't know until you try, they will correct it. i'm sure it's not the only tournament where there are problems, i know the club will work to correct any and all "suggestions" on how to improve. competition was great.

yes they paid the refs, yes it's their job, it was an inside joke between mr. cokeley and myself. as far as refs go you are right some are good some are bad, same with wrestlers (1 ejection), coaches (1 ejection) , and parents. i know they will correct the problems with officials too.

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: HEADUP] #160425 02/16/10 03:10 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
yes they paid the refs, yes it's their job, it was an inside joke between mr. cokeley and myself. as far as refs go you are right some are good some are bad, same with wrestlers (1 ejection), coaches (1 ejection) , and parents. i know they will correct the problems with officials too.

Wrestler ejection was reported, coach ejection was not.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Beeson] #160432 02/16/10 03:57 AM
hotrodder54 Offline
I think the Coach ejection was a Missouri coach. They still should have filled out an Offical Ejection Form but I don't know that it would do any good he'll most likly be wrestling in missouri this week and I don't believe offical ejections carry over as far as Punishment goes?

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: hotrodder54] #160454 02/16/10 01:11 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Will, St James, Mike Medina, and all the rest that helped.....

Thanks for a great opportunity for our kids. Most of the brackets were 4-6 man RRs. HOW AWESOME! Our kids got a lot of matches in on both Sat and Sun.

Was it a little crowded and was there some problems.....yes. Everyone worked together to overcome them.

My son was also on Mat 11....here's what caused the issue (please feel free to beat Will severly about the head and shoulders on this one...ha!):

There was a wrestler that was accidentally left off the bracket (not sure why). As usual, Will jumped through hoops to get the kid in the bracket (this was way after us coaches were supposed to validate our entries). Because of that some of the bout numbers and bout sheets got changed.

Did this cause some confusion....yes....did we work through it....yes. ONCE AGAIN, WILL CHOSE TO SUPPORT LETTING A KID WRESTLE!

I would like to thank the 2 St James wrestlers that were working the table. They did a great job of staying patient and dealing with the coaches and parents.

Ditto Smokey's ratings!

The biggest challenge on Sat was that the parents didn't stay in the stands. Everyone had to crowd around the mats. Now I know some will argue they didn't have a place to sit....this was true until wrestling started. Once wrestling started you could have your choice of seats because all the parents were around the mats. Heck, I even had to talk with a lot of my own parents.

Thanks for the remote weigh in option! I recommend next year we do only remote weigh ins on Fri night with no onsite weigh ins. That way brackets can be done early. Have a coaches meeting 1 hr to 2 hrs before wrestling starts. Have us verify scratches. This will help get things started on time.

BIG THANKS TO WILL FOR BENDING OVER BACKWARDS TO GET KIDS WRESTLING AND FOR GETTING THEM A LOT OF MATCHES!

We will back.

Shawn Budke

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: shawnbudke] #160458 02/16/10 01:37 PM
C
Chris Marcum Offline
C
We were on mat 7 and had the same issue as mat 11, I would hope that if THEY LEFT THE KID OFF THE BRACKET that they would jump thru hoops. But this was on multiple mats. And as far as "there were seats as soon as wrestling started" Not even close! When you have people lined up and down the hallways on the FLOOR and people are constantly stepping over you/on you to get to the concession or to their spot. That is terrible. I have been around youth wrestling for a long time and have never been at an event that was like this. I'm still not sure how a fire marshall didn't shut that thing down.

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Chris Marcum] #160463 02/16/10 01:55 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: CC's Dad
I have been around youth wrestling for a long time and have never been at an event that was like this. I'm still not sure how a fire marshall didn't shut that thing down.

really? that bad? were you at districts about 3 years ago? 3 spectators leave/ 1 can enter.

been doing this for 25 years now and have certainly seen worse, have seen better too, for sure, but don't be careful not to beat up a team or tournament director, just because the venue is too small.

i didn't see much overcrowding in the halls. i know it's not the best spot to view from, i'm just sayin', things could be worse. how many wrestlers really need 2 parents, 1 sibling, 2 buddies, and 4 coaches in their corner? they can't hear you all anyway.

Re: East Kansas Open and Donna Woofter Novice [Re: Chris Marcum] #160465 02/16/10 01:59 PM
H
highcrotch Offline
H
I guess I have a different opinion!
Yes it was crowded!
Yes there was a few hiccups on our mat as well!
But there was good competition!
Plenty of mat time!
And with tournaments being canceled almost every weekend due to lack of entries its alot better to be a little crowded then sitting all alone.

We had kids from our club got to 3 different tournaments this weekend.
East Ks
Hutch
Haysville

They all 3 had pros and cons!

East Ks had a good turn out and was close to home!

Hutch had a good turnout! Not the numbers they are used to seeing and maybe could of been bracketed better but still lots of competition and got done A LOT earlier then in the past!

Haysville
Not the same numbers as last year! Good mat time! Started on time and done early! And the rings were some of the best awards that some of our kids have ever recieved.

You could of went anywhere in the state and had typical weekend of wrestling. The good the bad and the ugly was at all three (none of them were really ugly just using a movie reference so please do not take out of context)!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)