Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160828 02/18/10 08:20 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Perfect. In this case, member schools are not conducting nor invoking anything. It is the students who have the right to voluntarily do so.

Students retain their constitutional rights of free speech and expression, including the right to pray and share personal beliefs, while on their public school campuses. Under the Tinker standard, school officials may restrict protected student speech only if it "materially and substantially interferes with appropriate discipline." School officials may not prevent students from gathering together for prayer and religious discussion on school grounds, provided that students do so in a non-disruptive manner during non-instructional time. Non-instructional time would be immediately before and after school, at lunchtime, or any other "free" time when students are permitted to talk and mingle with peers on campus.

This is exactly what this will be. Sometime during warm-ups, a voluntary prayer will be offered to God.

Is this country great or what?

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #160829 02/18/10 08:20 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
Boy if that is a reasion to go to he_ _,I am gone.

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160830 02/18/10 08:23 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
We as the USA need to know one thing.NO matter what we do or say some one will get mad.

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160831 02/18/10 08:24 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
This is the position statement of the KSHSAA:

Member schools should not conduct pre-game religious exercises in post season contests. Because of the diversity of people attending KSHSAA post-season event, the KSHSAA member school should observe a moment of silence for personal thoughts and meditation instead of invoking a prayer.

Rick Bowden

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #160832 02/18/10 08:26 PM
WillyM Offline
A "voluntary prayer" is not "meditation and personal thoughts".

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Benelli] #160833 02/18/10 08:26 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Benelli
This is the position statement of the KSHSAA:

Member schools should not conduct pre-game religious exercises in post season contests. Because of the diversity of people attending KSHSAA post-season event, the KSHSAA member school should observe a moment of silence for personal thoughts and meditation instead of invoking a prayer.

Rick Bowden

Perfect. In this case, member schools are not conducting nor invoking anything. It is the students who have the right to voluntarily do so.

Students retain their constitutional rights of free speech and expression, including the right to pray and share personal beliefs, while on their public school campuses. Under the Tinker standard, school officials may restrict protected student speech only if it "materially and substantially interferes with appropriate discipline." School officials may not prevent students from gathering together for prayer and religious discussion on school grounds, provided that students do so in a non-disruptive manner during non-instructional time. Non-instructional time would be immediately before and after school, at lunchtime, or any other "free" time when students are permitted to talk and mingle with peers on campus.

This is exactly what this will be. Sometime during warm-ups, a voluntary prayer will be offered to God.

Is this country great or what?

Eric Johnson

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #160834 02/18/10 08:27 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
How long you wanna do this??

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160835 02/18/10 08:31 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Contrarian

You are missing the point. The school is doing nothing. It is student led. Please get that straight. Perfectly legal.

Eric Johnson

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #160838 02/18/10 08:41 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
I think this is a cool thing for students to pray.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160839 02/18/10 08:44 PM
B
bbd Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Contrarian
Contrarian, you are more than welcome to leave the premises during this time of "voluntary prayer" or "mediation and personal thoughts"

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: bbd] #160842 02/18/10 08:56 PM
WillyM Offline
Why not have meditation and personal thoughts and at the same time have the PA system blast out "Onward Christian Soldiers".

And, which God is the prayer leader going to invoke, the Christian God, the Muslim God, Mary the Virgin, the Jewish God, or even Budhha. Jimmy Swaggert and Oral Roberts would probably have hissy fits on every God except their God.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160844 02/18/10 09:05 PM
M
MattVanderLinden Offline
M
After reading over and over this post I felt as though i needed to step in and say something. This is a student-athlete made group to pray for all those that compete in this great sport of wrestling. The praise and glory is not for the young men that run this group but for our Lord and Savior. These young men have prayed at multiple tournaments, including the 321A state tournament last year, and the spread of Wrestlers 4 Christ has grown rapidly. For anyone that does not agree with this I will pray for you and hope one day you will be able to see the great things that Jesus Christ does for this country and for these young men. No one is forced to come to the middle of the mat and no one is looked down upon if they do not want to pray.
As for you Mr. Contrarian, if you dont like it than dont listen into the prayer. It is simple. It is a free country and these young men are stepping to the plate and becoming leaders! In no way is this an organized prayer by the school, coaches, or administrators. One day i hope that you realize the greatness of Jesus Christ and maybe you could learn something from these young men.

Michael, Bret, and all the other young men that are taking a step in right direction to help glorify His name. Thank you for being great leaders in your generation, it may not be easy to take a different path from all your peers but there are many that respect you for what you are doing. Keep up the great work.

Matt Vander Linden

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160845 02/18/10 09:07 PM
windjammer Offline
Kids of any faith praying for safety and sportsmanship at regionals is very low on the list of problems. It is freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. The founding fathers never intended that you should never see religion practiced, only that you not be required to practice it.

If you can't absolutely cannot stand to witness it, do what I do when the flying monkeys come on The Wizard of Oz and bury your face in a pillow.

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: windjammer] #160851 02/18/10 09:27 PM
WillyM Offline
Let's bring this to a halt.

I do not object to prayer as long as it is done correctly. I have not seen a good response that truly justifies the "HOW' or "WHY" of what the supporters are proposing. I keep hearing a prayer for this or a prayuer for that, this right or that right. If it is to be conducted then I believe it should be held in a private place in the school--a class room or hallway, away from the public and but not in the gym, foyer, or commons area--and it should be conducted and completed prior to the start of sanctioned activities--check in and weigh in.

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/18/10 09:30 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160857 02/18/10 09:36 PM
M
MattVanderLinden Offline
M
Contrarian,
It has been done correctly for well over a year now and it is just you that is bringing it into question. If you have never seen it done before it is a powerful thing to witness. If you want a full description than here you go,
While warm-ups are still taking place one student athlete will walk to the center of the mat he says nothing to anyone about following him and he takes one knee on the mat. Than whoever feels as though they would like to follow him joins him to do the same. When athletes have stopped walkin over the learder of the group prays for the great opprotunity that they have to wrestle. He gives thanks for safe travels of all, and for the saftey and sportsmanship of the wrestlers, officals, coaches, managers, and fans. He than asks for all that is done in that building to be put in the glory of His name. Than all that have joined say an "Our Father."
Like i said I hope anyone that has not been able to witness what happens with these young men get the chance to this weekend. God Blesss
Matt Vander Linden

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: MattVanderLinden] #160867 02/18/10 09:58 PM
M
my12floz Offline
M
Maybe we can just ask for a show of hands before the prayer who is for it , and who is against it and the minority can go sit in the hall or classroom. thats fair.
Although Contrarain from the looks of it on here you will be sittin there alone.
Keep up the good work boys and keep in mind you will allways have a (Contrarin) tryin to bring you down,GOD BLESS.

Kevin Hurla
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: MattVanderLinden] #160868 02/18/10 10:01 PM
WillyM Offline
Please do not be sanctimonious and preach to me, and I will not preach to you. I neither need it or want it.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160870 02/18/10 10:08 PM
H
Harry LaMar Offline
H
Contrarain. God works in mysterious ways! I am curious as to why my thoughts or words ten minutes before a meet are important, or threatening to you. In response to Bowdens words. Member schools are not enjoying fellowship, individual people are. Nobody is invoking anybody: Webster says: to petition for help or support : to appeal to or cite as authority. Is it Ok for me to Quote Mr. Webster or is that threatening to you also? You will be in my prayers tonight!
Harry

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160871 02/18/10 10:12 PM
M
MattVanderLinden Offline
M
By no means is anyone preaching to you. You asked for facts and I am letting you know what these young men do. This is a group that is gaining strength by numbers and I am sure will continue for many years to come and I hope it does. As stated before no one is forced to join in with the prayer, however you are acting like everyone in attendence has to pray. These young men are not doing anything wrong so why are you raining on the parade?

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: MattVanderLinden] #160875 02/18/10 10:32 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Matt81
so why are you raining on the parade?

Why? Because we paid to watch wrestling, not young impresionable teens being brainwashed in a public setting!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 141 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)