Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: sportsfan02] #160953 02/19/10 03:18 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: Steve Earle
But I would hope that the same people who support this would also be as tolerant of the Muslim wrestlers(there may be a few in Kansas) also having their prayer meeting, or the Gay wrestlers (there may be a few in Kansas, maybe more then Muslim wrestlers) having their informal parade.

I'm guessing neither of those groups were in attendance at Daytona?

They were there but you had better believe, that in that red neck atmosphere they knew they had better go along with the program! However I’m sure a few of those southern boys know how to play Dueling Banjos

Last edited by Steve Earle; 02/19/10 03:20 PM.

Steve Earle
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Ben Dover] #160957 02/19/10 04:06 PM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
I think this is a wonderful organization that has been started for our wrestlers. I want to thank everyone who has been involved in getting this going.As I have read through the post, I was in shock that another wrestling parent would object to the prayers that will be spoken today, for the safe keeping of their child. So, in that aspect, I want to thank the two men for the negative responses that they have made. See, when you tell a teenager that they can't do something that they know deep down in their heart is right, there is a trigger that goes off. This gives them the drive to do it even more. See, several of our boys already pray before their match, and reading these post will help them to understand how important it is to pray, and give them the determination to do so.
Again, thank you to everyones hard work to keep this organization going.

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: clarkmom] #160958 02/19/10 04:15 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Posted by Contrarian......I am believer, and I may be the only responder on this particular forum who has carried a gun and gone to far far away bad places.

My Response......DON'T BE TOO SURE OF YOURSELF! There are plenty on here who have been there, done that and support the idea of the kids leading a voluntary prayer. You are not the only one on here that has served their country....however, you are one of the few that won't put their name to their comments.

Shawn Budke

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: windjammer] #160962 02/19/10 04:22 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: windjammer

If you find it distasteful, don't watch. I promise there are no ritual sacrifices or anything.

you can't say that for sure jammer, now that we have covered the freedom of Christianity, we will also be forced to allow, any other form of religion, the same rights to practice as they see fit.

if a voodoo priest wants to sacrifice a chicken, remember if you find it distasteful, turn away, don't watch.

my point is this is a very touchy subject, and i feel it is a road well traveled, as much as i believe in what these young men are doing, there is two sides to every coin/ story. be smart, and be prepared, expect the unexpected.

i hope there is opportunity for Muslims, Pagans, Jews, and everyone else to invite others for prayer also. it is very compelling for out youth to believe in something so strongly, let's step back and let them practice their beliefs, NO MATTER WHAT THOSE BELIEFS MAY BE. whether it's redneck country or not it's still America and we all have the same rights.

good luck, compete hard and fair, pray that no one gets injured, God Bless!

Last edited by HEADUP; 02/19/10 04:26 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160965 02/19/10 04:39 PM
Paratroop Offline
Three things I was told not to talk to strangers about: religion, sexual orientation, and politics. Looks like were 2 out of 3!

Should do something for the muslims too though.

Thanks for your service Contrarian. We probaly chewed some of the same dirt!

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160967 02/19/10 04:43 PM
Beeson Offline

Last edited by Beeson; 02/19/10 04:46 PM. Reason: Wasn't as funny written down as I thought it would be.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: shawnbudke] #160971 02/19/10 04:51 PM
WillyM Offline
My Name is Bill Mason. I live in Lansing. I am retired from the US Army. I do not wear my uniform, medals, have a HERO Purple Heart license tag on my pickup, or flaunt my service.

Have always been suspicious of of the supposedly spontaneous, voluntary demonstrations of any kind, including religious. They are seldom done for the individual, but mostly to shame others into a reaction. Religion is personal, starts and should remain in the home and the church--not a public spectacle.

No intention to hide my name. My Profile contains the name of the town where I live and my email address contains my name. I will not release my address--I do want not some firebreathing, bible and gun toter lurking in the neighborhood searching for evil.

Funny, it appears that about 90% of the posters have not listed such info as I in their profile and use a pseudnym or a moniker to hide or safeguard the identity. Where I come from that is called a lack of integrity.

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/19/10 05:35 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #160974 02/19/10 05:19 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Bill,

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate you stating your name and am grateful for your service to our country.

The difference comes with your statement about religion being a private issue. The Bible says just the opposite. I realize that many don't believe the Bible but those involved in this effort to glorify their God, do believe it.

In Luke 2:17, the shepherds that were called to Bethlehem to see the proclaimed Christ, the Savior of the world, acted in this way. "When they had seen this, they made widely known the statement which had been told them about this Child." Another passage in Proverbs 1:20 says, "Wisdom shouts in the street, She lifts her voice in the square; at the noisy streets she cries out."

Surely you understand that if a person truly believes that Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world, that person cannot remain silent.

It's no offense to you or any with your position. It's just a God given right that we can praise Him.

Thanks for your post,

Eric Johnson
913-484-3624

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #160997 02/19/10 11:19 PM
A
anklepick Offline
A
Contrarian makes a good point.
Wrestling is the greatest sport in part because it is all inclusive. It dosn't matter if you are 103 pounds or 285 pounds. It dosn't matter if you are handicapped or what color you are or what religion you are. It doesn't matter if you're the son (or daughter) of a doctor, lawyer or Chief. When you lace up your shoes and put on your headgear, it's about how you carry yourself on the mat. How you represent whoever your team, state, country, family or god is determined on the mat. Everything is equal in that regards. How you choose to practice your sport, or religion is reflected in how you handle yourself. The mat is not the place to practice your religion- it's a place to represent your values and your god. I don't want people wrestling in my church- they shouldn't 'practice' their religion on the mat. Demonstrate your values by how you carry yourself and how you interact with your coaches, teammates and competitors. That tells me more about your values than if you practice a ritual important to you out of its perspective venue. Be inclusive not exclusive. Show it on the mat.

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: anklepick] #161005 02/20/10 01:10 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
The mat is not the place to practice your religion? You don't want people wrestling in your church? Did you think that post through?

Eric Johnson

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #161006 02/20/10 01:25 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Contrarian
Religion is personal, starts and should remain in the home and the church--not a public spectacle.

Let's get this straight. God becomes a Man, lives a perfect life, dies on the cross for the sins of the world, is raised from the dead and declares that anyone who repents and trusts solely in Him will inherit eternal life. Those who fail to do so, will spend eternity in hell. And... we are to keep it quiet and to ourselves? Does that make sense?

Eric Johnson

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #161009 02/20/10 01:45 AM
djackson Offline
Well said Chief!!!

Don Jackson
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #161010 02/20/10 01:52 AM
WillyM Offline
Let me understand this. I am supposed to believe and trust in a vain, vengeful, vindicative and judgemental God--if I do not I will suffer forever. If God sets standards for me, who and what sets standards for GOD. I have my beliefs and you have yours. I do not have to publicly display my righteousnee, and I do not preach and proselyte anyone to my beliefs. I am at peace with myself and my beliefs. Evidently not so with you. please do not preach or quote scripture. It is not appreciated by me, and evidently by a few others on this forum. Be at peace and take your family to church!

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #161014 02/20/10 01:58 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing.

Eric Johnson

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Chief Renegade] #161019 02/20/10 02:49 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Amen. If kids want to have a T-Shirt and moment of prayer for Buddha, L. Ron Hubbard, or whoever . . . That is their freedom to do so. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Chief is sharing what he is excited about. Nothing against the law with that. Nothing in that that makes him 'not at peace with himself or his beliefs...'

I have visited with Chief privately on many occasions. He is always polite and kind and seems very much at peace with himself (God forgive him for his idolatry over this AC list stuff! hahaha). ;-)

To say/believe that is to say that anyone who excitedly posts on this site about wrestling - is not at peace with their wrestling, their life, etc. Logically Cont., your position makes no sense.

As Chief so concisely put it "freedom of speech is a beautiful thing."

As a man who professes Christ/God as my Lord and Savior - I have no problem with anyone that doesn't. That is between them and God. And, if they don't believe in God - cool. That is part of their freedom to. I hope to see some Buddha-belly-rubbing 'Wrestlers for Buddha' T-Shirts soon!!!

AAAhhhhhmmmmmmmm . . .

;-)

Lighten up. Have some fun. I think who or whatever you believe in, would be joyful with that . . .

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Dean Welsh] #161053 02/20/10 01:09 PM
WillyM Offline
We have beat this one to death. Lets go to a new topic. Someone recommended "sexial orientation" or "politics".

A show of hands for "sexual orientation": _______

A show of hands for "politics". _______

And for those who count, good luck to today's wrestlers at all the regional. As soon as I finish my coffee I am off to a 5A--watched a 4A yesterday.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: WillyM] #161061 02/20/10 02:49 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
This thread belongs in the "other" section.

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Benelli] #161062 02/20/10 02:57 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Agreed. Lets just let it die. I think we have kicked it around more than enough.

Benelli! A voice of reason among the forest of trees!

;-)

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: Dean Welsh] #161121 02/21/10 04:58 AM
J
jcfd51nelson Offline
J
I am proud to say my kids got into a corner, joined hands, and had a moment of silence and if you wanted to pray at that time, you could.

Re: Wrestlers 4 Christ - Regional Prayers [Re: jcfd51nelson] #161146 02/21/10 12:53 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Coach Nelson, what was up with you and Bob wearing headbands yesterday? You two looked very stylish but I was wondering how serious the refs and table workers could take you during a conference! ;-)

Congrats on a great tourney for JC and good luck at state!

Dean

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 141 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)