Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament #164110 03/08/10 03:25 AM
C
Chewbac Offline OP
OP Offline
C
i was just wondering what are some thing your heard at wrestling tournament... like this past weekend in hays tournament. A kid that coach his coaching Alex. well he wuz wrestling some kid from hays well alex took him down to his back and pinned the kid. but that kid was laying down on his back hurting. and Alex turns around and ask me and the other coach "are they gonna press charges on me" but yea i just hope the kid is ok.

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: Chewbac] #164164 03/08/10 03:03 PM
N
NColtrane Offline
N
Emporia Novice, two kids were fighting for control, both prone facing each other and spinning to control legs. This went on for 20-30 secs. A stalemate was called and the kids came to their feet. One kids stood still for awhile and when asked if he was okay by the ref (Coach Charbonneau, Emporia HS HC) he begain rolling his head around and said "give me a minute, I'm dizzy". Coaches, kids, parents and ref began laughing, it was so funny.

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: NColtrane] #164192 03/08/10 05:47 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
1st year kid 7 or 8 years old comes staggering off the mat holding his belly like Fred Sanford (Sanford and Son TV series) held his heart and one hand in the air like a bull rider (Elizabeth I am coming to see you - she is in heaven). I ask the wrestler what is the problem. He said Coach he was choking my tummy (tight waist). I said go back out there and get on top of him and choke his tummy and then put the half on him and pin him. I looked at the coach beside me and we both busted a gut.

Another good one I had a few years back - our novice guy was pinning a wrestler chest to chest and out to the side , but he was on his knees. I told him to get on his toes. He got off the guy and stood up and started dancing around on his toes. - 1 escape for the other guy. He did what I asked - it was a little tough to coach the rest that match also - again, I was laughing so hard as he danced around.

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: smokeycabin] #164194 03/08/10 06:05 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
My 8 year old came off the mat crying in Hays this weekend after taking a pretty good beating. I asked him why he was crying & he replied that the other kid popped his blood pressure out of place. After I popped it back in he was good for the next match.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #164214 03/08/10 08:08 PM
68Miller Offline
A couple years ago I was standing with my son and we had bout 3 or 4 matches to wait. We were standing next to his opponent. Trying to teach some good sportmanship I told my son to tell the kid good luck. He replied to me "This aint church dad.....it's wrestling, and why do you want him to have good luck anyway?"

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: 68Miller] #164237 03/08/10 11:23 PM
DingusKahn Offline
This was many years ago but I will never forget it...two very little 6/u kids from the same team were just smiling and giggling during their whole match...neither one of them coulda been over 4...well one gets a takedown and the other kid bellies down...the boy on top looks over at the ref and says "cmon ref I got him on the mat pin him already"...the ref says "he has to be on his back to be pinned son"...so the boy on top stands up and says "hey buddy...why don't you roll over on your back so I can pin you already" the whole place erupted in laughter...especially when the boy on bottom said "sure no problem" and proceeded to get pinned!!

I will never forget that and everytime I get frustrated or I see my sons getting frustrated I remind them of that story and about how much fun those boys were having!!

Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking!!

Chris Walters
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: DingusKahn] #164240 03/08/10 11:41 PM
J
Jason Halling Offline
J
While coaching my nephew and one of my good friend's son, as novice wrestlers, we went to the Derby Tournament (pre-novice championship). We'd been there all day and starting to feel a little punch drunk anyway. The young 5 year only my nephew was wrestling toed the line quickly and readied himself for battle. My nephew attacked the kid in a whirl wind and his foe didn't respond at all. The foe simply went to his back and wiggled for several seconds. The boys jumped up with smiles and laughed to the line. As the young opponent proceded to our corner, and with the biggest crap-eatin' grin high fived us and said, "Now I'm goin' to the circus."

I didn't even have a chance to ask my nephew what he was smiling for. I assumed it was for the victory he'd just earned.

Nope - He asked "Can I go to the circus with that kid too." Needles to say we had a great time at the circus.

Last edited by Jason Halling; 03/09/10 02:04 AM.

Jason Halling
Educator
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: Jason Halling] #164295 03/09/10 02:40 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
When my son was nine, we were at an early season tournament in Chanute. Shortly before his first match, he told me he had to use the restroom. I told him to hurry up and get it done so he would be ready to wrestle. He came back a few minutes later with his team t-shirt soaking wet. I asked why his shirt was wet and he looked up at me and said, "I dropped it in the toilet". After his match was over, I went and bought him a Chanute tournament t-shirt so he would have something dry to wear. I have purchased another fifteen or so tournament t-shirts over the years for him, and I am happy to report that it wasn't because he dropped his club shirt in the crapper.

Lee Girard
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: ReDPloyd] #164412 03/09/10 06:56 PM
F
FishFood Offline
F
This year, we had 2 four year olds in our 6U group. They both had older brothers on our team and they were wrestling because it was better than sitting with Mom in the bleachers. They would practice for 20 minutes, go hang out with Mom, go to the snack bar...

We always end our 6U practice with a game. The Wednesday before our clubs tournament, we played the "Steal the Other Kids Legband" game. Mistake.

On Saturday, they were in a two man round robin. They both went out and toed the line, two 35lb gladiators. Ref blows the whistle. Red reaches down, pulls off Green's legband and proceeds to jump up and down and run around like he's just won a state championship.

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: FishFood] #164415 03/09/10 07:14 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Sitting in my office by myself laughing. That is a good one.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #164418 03/09/10 07:19 PM
GarateKids Offline
i liked that one and the one with the kid telling his buddy to hurry up and roll over,,,, too funny

Carlos Garate
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: GarateKids] #164429 03/09/10 08:41 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
At 6U my boy came off the mat after getting it kind of handed to him and I asked him if he was ok. He said ya I am okay but can I can something from the concussion stand?

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: Teamroper] #164431 03/09/10 09:12 PM
usawks1 Offline
In my high school practice room, we were working on defending the legs from the referee position. I suggested one counter was to "be a proper lady" ... close your legs and pinch your knees.

A couple of days later we were at a dual match and one of our guys was on bottom and his opponent started to throw the legs in. One of his team mates yells from the bench, loud enough the opposing bench and a few fans could hear ... "deny, deny, be a proper lady!"

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: usawks1] #164441 03/09/10 10:36 PM
N
n7m13c99 Offline
N
Kids are great we should write everything down and make a book this stuff is so funny.LOL

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: n7m13c99] #164488 03/10/10 04:48 AM
C
Chewbac Offline OP
OP Offline
C
thats a good idea writing them down and make a book of it.

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: Chewbac] #164586 03/10/10 10:04 PM
Paratroop Offline
While coaching Novice, an opponent wrestler shot at our wrestler who did a perfect sprawl flattening out the opponent. We began yelling at our wrestler to "get behind him and get your two" and saw our wrestler looking confused. We began yelling, "Spin drill. Spin drill." Our wrestler, did not one, but two compelete circles back to where he started. smile In the end we had to congratulate him on a perfectly executed spin drill!

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: Paratroop] #164658 03/11/10 01:38 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
it wasn't at a tournament, but my first or second year coaching, we had these two brothers. jacob and curtis, man they would push each other in practice. curtis was older, but they were the best partner for each other, i hated matching them against each other, but it happened. this day was especially bad i seperated them at least three times. then we get to live wrestling, i wasn't paying attention and another coach paired them up!!! about a minute into it, i hear jacob let out a terrifying scream, he starts punching curtis. they're swinging and yelling, when i get over there, they are both in tears, huffing and puffing. i said boys what is the matter, "jacob that headlock was legal, and you certainly weren't getting choked, you screamed too loud!" he says:
" i wasn't getting choked, i couldn't hear!!!"
"what?"
"i couldn't hear, curtis, i couldn't hear!!!"
jacob takes another swing at curtis, "curtis i can't hear!!!"
to this day some of the other kids (adults now) will yell when the see a headlock thrown. "curtis i can't hear!!!"

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/11/10 01:40 AM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: HEADUP] #164701 03/11/10 03:20 AM
Cokeley Offline
Here is mine... My youngest was wrestling and losing by one point going into the third period. He had his choice so I told motioned to him to take down. He was six at this time. He shook his head no as he looked at me. I emphatically motioned for him to take down. He shook his head no again. So I stood up and said "Sammy, get down in referee's position!" He looked at me and grabbed his throat and stuck his tongue out. He then collapsed and laid on the mat. Both arms out. He told the official, Denny Hensley, that his headgear just started choking him. So, be aware of the spontaneous headgear choking that may occur. When I went out on the mat he told me that the kid was too tough and strong so he didn't want to be on bottom. smile

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: Cokeley] #164836 03/11/10 07:57 PM
F
fireman95 Offline
F
One of my kids was wrestling a little girl and when he had her on her back you could see her talking to him. Later we ask what she was saying and he said, "she said her brother was gonna beat me up later!" It was the funniest thing I had ever heard!

Re: funniest thing ever heard or happen @ tournament [Re: Chewbac] #164930 03/12/10 03:06 AM
R
RJSteele Offline
R
Last year a first year 6 and under kid, half way through the season and half through this practice said

" Coach....I think I done playing wrestling"

He went and sat by Mom and he was serious, he did not leave Mom the rest of the night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)