Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: BLT] #167104 03/30/10 12:38 PM
schroeder Offline
The bag searching was fine. Everytime we walked in they just looked in the bag and said good luck. They did not thumb through everything in it. Yes they looked, but it was just that a look. Venue chages, yes could be done but there are only a few places in the state that can handle that many people. As far as hotels increases rates, yes they did and will continue. Hotel rate for teh hotel we were at $69 in July this last weekend $89 and had to get 2 nights or no stay. A month from now rate at $74...hmmm. Yes there was a tax increase. We recieved a letter in January and then another in March and the cost was different. I called andthe manager said that Topeka had a tax increase that why it was more than 6 weeks prior.

Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: schroeder] #167108 03/30/10 12:50 PM
BLT Offline
The other up side to Wichita is sooooo many more people will sleep in their own beds. This will make it easier to find rooms and will force hotels to keep their prices competitive in order to fill rooms.

Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: BLT] #167110 03/30/10 01:04 PM
P
Priddy1 Offline
P
Reminds me of Salina last year at the Tournament of Champions.....I had just purchased a $3.00 bottle of Coke from the concession stand and my daughter asked me to go with her to get something from our vehicle. Not thinking I walked out from the arena into the main entrance right past Barney Fife - who WATCHED ME WALK OUT with my $3.00 bottle of Coke right then it hit me "oh crap, I didn't leave my $3.00 bottle of Coke up by my seat" I immediately turned around within seconds of walking out with it and this guy stops me and says, "sorry but I'm not going to be able to let you in with that Coke" WTFrick@!?!?@?!??!?! Are you kidding me - I said you just watched me walk out with it!!!!! To which he replied, I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to let you take that back in. WoW-----you can bet I had a few words with Barney - turned around - stuck the Coke up my shirt and marched my happy butt back into the arena!! Now that's ridiculous! After our experience at Salina - I completely appreciate the security checks at the Expo!

Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: Priddy1] #167130 03/30/10 02:45 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
were you all staying in Google or in Topeka. I think that Google had the tax increase lol. At least Wichita is just Wichita like it or not. Would love to see it moved to Wichita. Downtown arena would be fun as long as security doesnt go over board on certain things. it doesnt matter where you have it they will still charge you 3 and 4 dollars for gatorade and other things that at any other venue would be 2 dollars.

Scott Bockover
Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: sportsfan02] #167135 03/30/10 03:12 PM
H
H.R. Cook Offline
H
The tax increase that you speak of was a sales tax increase that was voted on and implemented last October. That is not just for rooms but anything purchased in the City of Topeka. There was not a "special wrestling tax" in place. The Transient Guest Tax has stayed the same for several years with almost all cities having a Transient or "Bed Tax".

As far as the bag searches, we tried to be customer friendly last year and again this year. You will find these type of searches in any building that is big enough to host this tournament including Wichita.

I wish to thank everyone who came to Topeka for the tournament. This is one of my staffs favorite events and many of our employees really enjoy working the event and seeing many familiar faces. I enjoy working and greeting as many parents, coaches and wrestlers as I can. We are proud to host this event.

I read these boards on a regular basis, not just after the tournament. I try to use any constructive criticism or suggestions from the boards and implement the feasible ideas for the next years tournament.

Thank you again for coming to Topeka

H.R. Cook
General Manager
Kansas Expocentre

Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: BLT] #167153 03/30/10 04:08 PM
roughly Offline
The State High School folks found a way and it was amazing. First rate in my humble opinion.

Rob Roughly
Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: roughly] #167176 03/30/10 06:26 PM
BLT Offline
State HS is no where near the size of Kids State.
Topeka wont give up this event and it stinks that its the same company shooting us bids for both venues.
The Intrust venue is awesome and the staff at 6A state was way friendlier then Topeka.

Re: State Tournament has outgrown the Expocentre! [Re: BLT] #167194 03/30/10 07:48 PM
H
H.R. Cook Offline
H
It may be the same company managing both buildings (SMG)but we both go after business as if we were separate. We do not discuss or compare bids for events like this. I would not hesitate trying to lure business from Wichita nor would they us.

H.R. Cook
GM Kansas Expocentre

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 187 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)