Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A positive thread, "What I saw!" #167254 03/31/10 02:40 AM
Paratroop Offline OP
OP Offline
I enjoy this forum but I'd have to say I have heard a whole lot of negativity since I got on here after the State tourney that has made me not real excited to get on here. I've heard people call out 8 year old wrestlers, refs, tourney directors, coaches, a guy on the end of a tazer, parents, and even the expocentre guy making a living just doing his job. In the end, I feel we should try to remember all the positives that you witness occur during this highly emotional and competitive event! If you want to complain or argue about something, please start your own thread.

This is what I saw:

I saw a young wrestler, battle with composure throughout the year, and when it counted, control his emotions and end the year on top of the podium.

I saw another wrestler devastated when his goal he set last year, was put to an end during the semi finals. I saw the young man wipe his tears, hours later, and vow to finish strong!

I saw a dominate wrestler, continue his dominance, and the whole time continue to be a "quiet professional" and be humble in his success.

I saw a very good wrestler go 0-2, but be was still a leader of his teammates and cheered them on as they wrestled on the second day, and was the first to be there as his teammates came off the mat!

I saw a coaches hugging their kids, win or lose as they came off the mat!

I saw young men tear up from their success, and other wipe their tears as they shook the hand of their opponents and coaches.

I saw wicked comebacks from some wrestlers, and the other wrestler pick them self up and drive on!

I saw lots of volunteers giving up their time so kids would have this opportunity!

I saw another awesome parade of champions and teared up as the young kids came running out to Thunderstruck!

I saw more positive then I can ever put in words on this forum!

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: A positive thread, "What I saw!" [Re: Paratroop] #167255 03/31/10 03:06 AM
B
Bob Miller Offline
B
I agree, it's so easy to only focus on the negative, but we should focus on the kids. My son had a goal just to place this year and good for him he met it he got 4th was he mad, yeah at first then he realized he did the best he could and that's that. If anyone knows him they know he doesn't like to lose at anything! So for him to accept the fact that his best just wasn't quite good enough for 1st, on this day is a step in the right direction lol. it's only his 3rd year and just to c the way wrestling has helped him is amazing! That to me is worth more than any medal or trophy, to c the kids grow as people is amazing

Re: A positive thread, "What I saw!" [Re: Bob Miller] #167260 03/31/10 03:40 AM
N
n7m13c99 Offline
N
You know this was my first visit to state in 13 years. My oldest made it to state 7 years in a row. My youngest has busted his hump for 5 years and finally this year he made it. Walking into the Expo Center brought back all these great memories. This year we made some more. At out motel my youngest was bringing back kids from all over the state to play. I love that about him he don't care who you are or where you are from lets be friends cause you like wrestle and so do I. Some things were so the same like food that took a bite out of you but it did back then to.LOL I got to watch some great wrestling, saw dreams come true and hopes dashed, but overall it was a great weekend. It had it's lows but it's highs were way beyond any lows!!!!!

Re: A positive thread, "What I saw!" [Re: Paratroop] #167274 03/31/10 12:32 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Paratroop
I've heard people call out 8 year old wrestlers, refs, tourney directors, coaches, a guy on the end of a tazer, parents, and even the expocentre guy making a living just doing his job. This is what I saw:

Actually, it was the guys on each end of the taser.

Re: A positive thread, "What I saw!" [Re: sportsfan02] #167317 03/31/10 06:57 PM
Team*Lautt Offline
I like what you have to say ... this is a great sport!! I live in NC now and was telling some friends here about the lights out - spotlight - AC/DC entrance - still got chills on the back of my neck talking about it!!

Jon Lautt 704-582-2341
Re: A positive thread, "What I saw!" [Re: Team*Lautt] #167347 03/31/10 09:33 PM
D
Doug Vander Linden Offline
D
Amen to sharing the positive things that this sport brought out this weekend!

I saw more people on Sunday morning (7 a.m.) at a Church on the Mat Service than I have seen in the past 10 years. There were lots on the mat, but also MANY in the stands that were a part of the service as well.

I heard Steve Woody (District #4 Director) sing 2 awesome songs in praise. I saw a new, young official give an Opening Prayer that kicked the day off. I saw 2 young high school wrestlers that have stood up for what they believed in and are making a difference in the lives of other young wrestlers and wrestling teams through Wrestlers4Christ. I also heard them both share stories about what God and our Lord has done in their lives and in their wrestling careers!

I saw two coach-dads and a wrestling mom with tears in their eyes. Tears not over what their sons had done successfully on the wrestling mat, but on what they were sharing from the heart to help other young wrestlers find a better way in the world!

I saw great guys like Ned Price and Jeff Sheets help out with the Wrestlers4Christ service. I also saw the impact that Gonz Medina and Scott Symon (Blue Chip Athletics) are making by helping Wrestlers4Christ with some awesome t-shirts they designed and printed! I also had an EMT tell us on Sunday afternoon that there were only 2 injuries on Sunday compared to the 9 on Saturday, and that many good reports of wrestlers being OK (and going to be OK) were being received.

May the Lord continue to Bless our wrestlers, coaches, officials and parents in Kansas Wrestling!

Happy Easter!
Doug Vander Linden
Burlington Wrestling

Re: A positive thread, "What I saw!" [Re: Doug Vander Linden] #167364 04/01/10 12:52 AM
B
birddog Offline
B
It was positive.
What i saw and felt and remember:

A Girl in he finals. hmmmm she's bad
Greater Gold's Team "Class Act"
charlie knox -with hat,coat & bag and white shoes "smilin"
jerry dale 's green hair
Dads doing everything - screaming yelling cheering crying loving
moms cheering and crying
mies's wife talking "knew he could win"
wrestlers cheering and crying
I heard big dan "COME ON G" & Him just being there
Dal Eck's calmness - I wish he would get mad
The Cole's from chanute - now them boys are wide open- gotta love
The dude from wolf pack with the suit & red tie - he's bad
The Deshazers- now them boys are wide open - gotta love em
Coach Ed - he is proffesional
cokely - you know he made some of it happen
beeson - everywhere
dulgarian - he is a stud
the brawlers kickin butt
so much effort
B. Humpries - black and whites & his strut gotta love em
Levi got named "the boa"
woods and his pink
kenny taylor - flippin us all off -It WAS FUNNY - gotta love em
ark city high school coach - competitor
doug eck - being big balls " we want both up" gotta love em
suhr doing it "again"
friends winning - ROD - LEACH - MOTTER - BOWEN
wishing friends were there - ZAC - BEN - ROBBIE -BONTZ
Lautt''s sincerness
Webers hand shake was real
T. Watkins dad - thanks man
Moon lost - that sucked! Trevor never gloated in it - 2 good kids
old friends "welch" losing - it hurt
Finney not being there! that sucked - gotta lovem
the guys from hard knox with grey suits - did they just get out
onwuuggy - 2 & bbQ, what happened? gotta love em
colemans - good eggs
my salina bud - only see him @ state
Prestors - good poeple
Cheri G's phone call - thanks
Biddles bringin it
saw a friend barely win in the last seconds - to exciting
my son on the podium
so many poeple who really love wrestling
worn out even though i didn't do much
the church service on sunday - thanks Vanderlinden
the black ref w bald head - justice
Seein 2 kids i liked wrestle each other - kinda sucked
Seein 1 allen win and the other lose kinda sucked maybe next yr.
And so much more.......

After spending some time in haiti recently,
I left with my glass more than half full
It was postive. guess it depends on which eyes your lookin thru
Thanks for another season.

Re: A positive thread, "What I saw!" [Re: birddog] #167373 04/01/10 02:22 AM
R
RYLANT Offline
R
I saw the best of the best in Kansas once again! I don't care how many times I have been there, and it doesn't even matter if my son is in the finals, I still get choked up and cry every time the lights go down, music comes on, and all of the super studs who have poured thier hearts out all year long, with relentless hours of practice and sacrifices walk out on that mat!! Congrats to all of the wonderful Kansas wrestlers who made it to the sweet 16!!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)