Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168018 04/08/10 06:39 PM
BLT Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson

Get out your wallets boys, if you pay enough you could buy earn win some fabulous prizes. How is this helping Kansas Wrestling?

Chad
When did you finally figure out this sport isnt cheap?

Why don't you look at it from a different point of view.
With these tournaments you are paying for the increased competition and they will throw in the increased bling for free.
Would that make you feel better?

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168020 04/08/10 06:56 PM
Beeson Offline
We get all of the competition that we need. We don't need increased competition. Here is Ark City's schedule from last year.

Nov 7 Morrison Ok
Nov 14 Blackwell Ok
Nov 20 Cliff Keen Kickoff
Dec 12 Ark City
Dec 19 Derby
Jan 02 USJOC
Jan 09 Goddard
Jan 16 Winfield
Jan 22 Tulsa Nationals
Jan 30 Salina TOC
Feb 06 Maize
Feb 13 Haysville
Feb 20 Douglass
Feb 27 Mulvane
Mar 06 Wichita Classic
Mar 13 State Series Starts

All of the competition we NEED, and the Bling is pretty good also. Why does my club need more? That is about as competitive as it gets and can still be fun.

Last edited by Beeson; 04/08/10 06:59 PM.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168029 04/08/10 08:06 PM
L
luellen Offline
L

Nov 7 Morrison Ok
Nov 14 Blackwell Ok
Dec 12 Ark City
Dec 19 Derby
Jan 02 USJOC
Jan 09 Goddard
Jan 16 Winfield
Jan 22 Tulsa Nationals
Jan 30 Salina TOC
Feb 06 Maize
Feb 13 Haysville
Feb 20 Douglass
Feb 27 Mulvane
Mar 06 Wichita Classic

If you cant find tough matches on this schedule going to Oklahoma or Missouri or Timbucktu aint gonna help!!!

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: luellen] #168031 04/08/10 09:17 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
Just a little insight to another state. Three years ago my son wrestled in Pa where they run a top 100 type of series. This is the top 100 kids regardless of age or weight in the state. I was distorted into thinking that this was some kind of incredible achievment until I realized that the top 100 were the top 100 families with the best jobs.
I was initially for a series in Kansas but just cannnot seem to find something positive that it will bring. If bringing false feelings of greatness to mediocre kids is what we are looking for than I say forge ahead!!!! I don't ever want to put down the hopes and dreams of any child great good mediocre or poor, but I also do not believe in false hope or false awards.
Too many awards are already being given out in Kansas Wrestling.
Top 3 at weekend tournaments and top 6 at state and nationals is plenty. I have left awards at tournaments as a result of not winning any matches, if you don't win you can't EARN an award.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168032 04/08/10 09:17 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
We get all of the competition that we need. We don't need increased competition. Here is Ark City's schedule from last year.

Nov 7 Morrison Ok
Nov 14 Blackwell Ok
Dec 12 Ark City
Dec 19 Derby
Jan 02 USJOC
Jan 09 Goddard
Jan 16 Winfield
Jan 22 Tulsa Nationals
Jan 30 Salina TOC
Feb 06 Maize
Feb 13 Haysville
Feb 20 Douglass
Feb 27 Mulvane
Mar 06 Wichita Classic

All of the competition we NEED, and the Bling is pretty good also. Why does my club need more? That is about as competitive as it gets and can still be fun.

looks like a tough schedule, doesn't look much different than ours. except we leave our own district more than you, to seek ks competition. i think most people on here wrestle a schedule equally as tough. i think the point is trying to bring the competition together more often, in the state. you leave the state 5 times, yet don't wrestle in district 1 or 4. only see district 3 at salina. it doesn't make it a bad schedule or good schedule, just a different way to look at it.

look like i have said before i don't agree with more "bling", all american awards etc. i even think the cliff keen all american status is more about a pocket book than the best wrestlers. but i also think there is SOME good in this.

i don't think it should be more than 6 tournaments, and i don't think the entry fees should be any more expensive, even $1 is too much. the bottom line is this if you don't want to support it don't, if you like it work on it. until then seek out all the competition you can, in state. because i promise it's just as tough here as anywhere else. if you don't want to wrestle multiple matches agains ks opponents to avoid to much familiarization, then don't. it is what it is, do what you want to do.

Last edited by HEADUP; 04/08/10 09:19 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: HEADUP] #168034 04/08/10 09:24 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
you leave the state 5 times, yet don't wrestle in district 1 or 4.
In fairness, 3 of the times we leave the state, Kansas is not wrestling yet.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: HEADUP] #168036 04/08/10 09:25 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
Seeking out competition in the state is harder than just going to tournaments in Kansas. I wrestle my kid up in weight and age but when you have 37 brackets at that same age and weight it becomes difficult to get good matches.

Here is an opinion, stop separating brackets, if you wrestle the same moderate kids every week all year you are still going to be moderate at the end of that year.

ever heard of the saying" steel sharpens steel " well great wrestlers make other great wrestlers. stop worrying about the kids losing they will catch up or find that this may not be their sport, but allowing them to realize that it isn't their sport after 5 or 6 years of kids club when they are getting killed in highschool is doing a disservice to the kids also....

just an opinion Mike Pirl

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168037 04/08/10 10:03 PM
BLT Offline

Three of the six tournaments would be in District 2? The other three Districts would hold one tournament. That sounds like a lot of travel for the other three districts.

Why should you care. According to the schedule you posted
(and it is a tough schedule)!!
But isnt it funny how 1/3 of that regular season schedule is out of state and they only leave district 2 once for Salina. Maybe the other three districts are willing to travel cause its the only way they are going to get to see the studs from AC cause they sure don't go to them!

Originally Posted By: bockman
i dont want to be like them i want to beat them.

Then you need to go where they are: The Kickoff, Tulsa, USJOC, etc. You can't beat them if you don't wrestle them.

I see that rule applies to the OK competition but where is all the travel around KS? How does all your travel south and not North East or West improve KS wrestling?

Now just for the record...
Our clubs schedule looks very similar!
But Im telling you that is what killed the 10u 110 D2 kids this year at state. If I had to bet I would of said that all 4 of them would of placed. But instead we ran into Hanzlick and Boman from Hosington and Liberal.
They were no where on our radar and Boman destroied EVERYONE.
Spencer and Jasean ran close with Hanzlick but in the end he was better that day.

Next year, Im getting out of my box and Im going to find the tournaments that those far away kids are going to.
AND
Im going to try to find a way to intice some of them to come to us as well.
I would hope that a series would intice EVERYONE in KS to get out of their own sand box and walk around the yard (KS) a little more.
Is there a cost to it? Yes! But thats the price of our sport!

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168038 04/08/10 10:05 PM
BLT Offline
Ha Ha
I was posting and walked away from the PC to come back and see Head Ups post.
Funny!

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168040 04/08/10 11:00 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
If a series intices all the best kids you still would wrestle the same best kids every weekend. I think it is good to travel around your state as well as other states close to your neck of the woods. We make trips to Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas. Makes your kids more diverse to different styles and lets them know that the world is bigger than "your own back yard" check out the neighborhood. Travel to any of these places is the same for me as it would be to go to a tournament in district 1 (Pittsburg), District 2, District 3 or District 4. About 2-3 hours any direction or more and hotel stays.

Last edited by Travis Phippen; 04/08/10 11:01 PM.
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168045 04/09/10 12:02 AM
ReDPloyd Offline

Nov 7 Morrison Ok
Nov 14 Blackwell Ok
Dec 12 Ark City
Dec 19 Derby
Jan 02 USJOC
Jan 09 Goddard
Jan 16 Winfield
Jan 22 Tulsa Nationals
Jan 30 Salina TOC
Feb 06 Maize
Feb 13 Haysville
Feb 20 Douglass
Feb 27 Mulvane
Mar 06 Wichita Classic

Looks pretty dang stout to me. That is a very competitive schedule from what have heard about these tournaments.

Lee Girard
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Travis Phippen] #168050 04/09/10 01:24 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Travis Phippen
If a series intices all the best kids you still would wrestle the same best kids every weekend. I think it is good to travel around your state as well as other states close to your neck of the woods. We make trips to Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas. Makes your kids more diverse to different styles and lets them know that the world is bigger than "your own back yard" check out the neighborhood. Travel to any of these places is the same for me as it would be to go to a tournament in district 1 (Pittsburg), District 2, District 3 or District 4. About 2-3 hours any direction or more and hotel stays.

not contradicting anything on here as again we wrestle in ok, and mo quite a bit we are close as well. but i know in a few brackets we have been in the last few years in wichita we have faced off against the same ok, and mo kids. same at kickoff, and tulsa natls. yet we have only faced out in state studs one during the year. those ks kids were as tough as any, but then again maybe it's best to only face them once, keep the scouting out of the equation. again do it or don't it won't hurt. imo.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: ReDPloyd] #168051 04/09/10 01:29 AM
N
n7m13c99 Offline
N
You know BLT I just have to laugh being from D4 I watch Chris wrestle all year and saw Hanzlick quite a bit. Then I would get on here and wonder did you guys even know about these D4 boys apparently not. I am sure some dad's were wondering where Wilkerson from Plainville and Thomas from Scott City came from also. that would be 10 and under 120 and 10 and under 67. Come visit us out here we are waiting.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: n7m13c99] #168063 04/09/10 03:57 AM
BLT Offline
I had seen their names but had never seen them wrestle. I did see the scores they had against similar opponents and they were close to what we had done but that in no way did it do them justice! Especially Boman!
In my opinion Spencer Tracy and Hunter Hanzlick took it to the limit in triple OT! Very close match that could of went either way. Hanzlick was a beast that was just too big and too strong for Spencer to keep down. Hunter was the biggest kid in that bracket and Spencer was the smallest. Up until that point, that was the best match I’ve seen Spencer wrestle all year! I was sweating bullets the entire match. Hanzlick's corner was too!
That is part of the reason I am pushing for this series. The fact that these kids never seen each other until state is a shame. Seeing this level of competition (win or lose) a few more times a year only makes for stronger wrestlers. And that in return makes for a stronger state series and THAT is good for KS wrestling!

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168064 04/09/10 04:04 AM
BLT Offline
And I am very aware of the Willy Wilkerson’s and the Kane Hutchinson’s out there in D4! We wrestled both of them over the last 3 years. They have just out grown my boy!
But I also coach Zach Bowen and he’s their size! I just wish we would get to see these guys more throughout the year. I don't call it scouting! I call it competing!

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168068 04/09/10 09:06 AM
D
dagwood Offline
D
BLT I watch the D4 boys get overlooked on this forum all the time. You just don't see many kids from other districts travel into D4 to wrestle with the exception of the Western Kansas Classic.

Darren Newton
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: dagwood] #168071 04/09/10 10:49 AM
BLT Offline
I totally understand. That's why I'm in favor of the series idea. I hope some people will chase the points and the competition and the series schedule will force them to have to get out around the state more. This will encourage more kids out to D4 at least a couple more times a year. That is great for D4 and really gives those kids more opportunity to see some different talent without having to leave the state.
And that is great for KS wrestling.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168072 04/09/10 11:17 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: BLT
I hope some people will chase the points and the competition and the series schedule will force them to have to get out around the state more.

Really? I don't know about you but I don't like to be FORCED into doing anything. Wow, let's force them to spend money. Don't give them a choice. Make them have to go to these tournaments. Not for me thanks.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168081 04/09/10 01:06 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
Originally Posted By: BLT
I totally understand. That's why I'm in favor of the series idea. I hope some people will chase the points and the competition and the series schedule will force them to have to get out around the state more. This will encourage more kids out to D4 at least a couple more times a year. That is great for D4 and really gives those kids more opportunity to see some different talent without having to leave the state.
And that is great for KS wrestling.

Not that much of a different drive from say goodland D4 to center of kansas as Kansas city D1 to the center. Seems to me I see D4 wrestlers at all the tough tournaments Salina, Park city, Hays. I you drive 3 hours whats 5 hours same boring scenery. Seems you just have an issue with people wrestling out of Kansas? Looks like going to FORCE some to leave more often Jamming this CRAP down the throats of everyone. Seems your the only one pushing for this

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168082 04/09/10 01:08 PM
BLT Offline
Did you read whole post or just pick out the one word you could find to disagree with. lol
It said if you were going to chase the points and if you want the best competition throughout the state then yes your are FORCED to get out of your own back yard.
Like it or not...
Its a fact

Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 169 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)