Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: HEADUP] #168153 04/09/10 09:32 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
Originally Posted By: Beeson

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. You can travel as much as you want or as little as you want. This schedule works for us

And I will choose where I spend that money. I can guarantee it wont be on the series. Our schedule will not change much next year.

no harm seen here, if you don't want to don't, but don't try to tell me how to spend my money. no one would force you to do anything, your competitveness would take care of that.

blt i say find 3 other clubs (1 from each district) and start it up, if it works without beeson,luellen, trowbridge, sportsfan and others so be it. if it doesn't so what, those who stand around to tell you " i told you so" get their day in the sun. so what.

Thats your best advice "piss on those guys BLT" go get'em Tiger you can do it. Sounds like that friend you know the one. When you get caught in a dark alley is the first to run and find help but doesn't stay to help. AWESOME

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: hotrodder54] #168157 04/10/10 12:15 AM
BLT Offline
You know...
Here are my problems now!
1st of all I have never heard nothing but common sense from Head Up so until I’m in that alley and until he turns and runs I won’t pass judgment and welcome any positive advice or encouragement!
2nd of all the views given by the list of leaders above are taken very seriously among the wrestling community. To try to start something like this needs all the support it can get. I hope the damage hasn’t already been done!
I think this idea has merit and I plan to work on it in the off season. I might not get all four districts the first go round but it won’t be a valid series until I do!

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168160 04/10/10 12:30 AM
BLT Offline
Some of the ideas you talked about "tanked", and the damage is hard to overcome.

You are right and some didnt! But we wouldnt know any of that if no one wouldnt of tried it!

By the way, alot of change happened this year. The High School Division was added, remote weigh-ins took off, Sprawl was added, and the Wichita Classic moved out of the barn. Lots of positive change, and more to come next year.

I agree but there were was still some important things slip thru the cracks!
1. We are still in Topeka! lol
2. There is still an issue with the upper and lower weight classes!

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: hotrodder54] #168161 04/10/10 12:41 AM
BLT Offline
Originally Posted By: hotrodder54

I still don't see how chasing the "points" For your award is going to improve KANSAS WRESTLING. THATS YOUR ARGUEMENT YOU WANT TO IMPROVE KANSAS WRESTLING BY HAVING A SERIES. Now how is your your series improving Kansas Wrestling.
LIKE IT OR NOT...
IT DOESN'T AND THATS A FACT

Cause if they are "Chasing the points" that means that wrestler will have wrestled at least 1-2 times in every district in the state. That kind of competition cycling throughout the state certainly cant be bad for Kansas Wrestling can it?

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168165 04/10/10 01:24 AM
Beeson Offline
Lets do some math on mileage, gas and hotel cost only. I will use Ark City as a reference point, just because that is where I will be coming from. There are towns closer and farther away but this will be a good measure. Lets say these are your series tournaments: Haysville (2 hours driving, there and back one day), Garden City (8 hours driving, one night hotel), Salina (4 hours driving there and back long day), Olathe (6 hours driving, one night hotel), Maize (2 1/2 hours driving, there and back one day), Colby (10 hours driving, 2 nights hotel stay), Manhattan (6 hours driving, 1 night hotel stay), Paola (6 hours driving, one night hotel stay). That would be for just 8 tournaments in the series, you are wanting 12. So in two months we will have had to stay in a hotel SIX nights at a cost of $360.00. We will have driven for 44 hours which is roughly 121 gallons of gas costing $365.00.

If I stayed in District 2 like I do now, in the same 2 month period I would have driven 9 hours and spent $120.00 in gas. There would be no added cost of staying in Hotels.

I am saving $605.00 not chasing the points. And I am still getting Great Competition. Your series leader will not be the best wrestler, he will be the kid who can afford it.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168166 04/10/10 01:28 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Lets do some math on mileage, gas and hotel cost only. I will use Ark City as a reference point, just because that is where I will be coming from. There are towns closer and farther away but this will be a good measure. Lets say these are your series tournaments: Haysville (2 hours driving, there and back one day), Garden City (8 hours driving, one night hotel), Salina (4 hours driving there and back long day), Olathe (6 hours driving, one night hotel), Maize (2 1/2 hours driving, there and back one day), Colby (10 hours driving, 2 nights hotel stay), Manhattan (6 hours driving, 1 night hotel stay), Paola (6 hours driving, one night hotel stay). That would be for just 8 tournaments in the series, you are wanting 12. So in two months we will have had to stay in a hotel SIX nights at a cost of $360.00. We will have driven for 44 hours which is roughly 121 gallons of gas costing $365.00.

If I stayed in District 2 like I do now, in the same 2 month period I would have driven 9 hours and spent $120.00 in gas. There would be no added cost of staying in Hotels.

I am saving $605.00 not chasing the points. And I am still getting Great Competition. Your series leader will not be the best wrestler, he will be the kid who can afford it.

Bingo!

Lee Girard
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: bockman] #168168 04/10/10 01:56 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I can assure you that if you are not freestyle and grecoing, being number one is not gonna happen. If our FS GR numbers don't increase, we can't get there. Plain and simple. We do well at all of the styles, but to take another step upward, we have to get more kids to FS GR.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: doug747] #168169 04/10/10 02:10 AM
Ed Wilson Offline
I have to agree with Doug.

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: doug747] #168171 04/10/10 02:17 AM
BLT Offline
Then next year I will chase the points
See the best KS has to offer from ALL OVER THE STATE.
Skip Brute
And just about break even and get tons more matches.
Thanks Chad.
That's the kind of great advice I knew you were capable of.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168172 04/10/10 02:22 AM
BLT Offline
And can you really add in Salina Maize and maybe Haysville if you go lol.
I mean you were already going to those anyway right.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: BLT] #168175 04/10/10 03:05 AM
Beeson Offline
I forgot the other cost. I would have to tell Goddard, Winfield, Valley Center, Bishop Carroll, Douglass, Mulvane, and probably Haysville that I could not attend their tournament because it was not a series tournament. Your District 2 Tournaments would have to be Derby, Maize, and The Wichita Classic. I would have to tell all those clubs that I would rather chase the series points instead of supporting them. Sorry, that is a cost I and Kansas Wrestling can not afford.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168176 04/10/10 03:18 AM
B
birddog Offline
B
Just a question- has any of you guys that are posting on this thread had kids that wanted to win the oklahoma points series championship? and why don't we have several of our kansas tournie's involved in their series to start with? maybe to get some okies up here wrestling? can't hurt us at all? and im sure jerry scott would be glad to help us? could be kinda a dual state thing - I know he would help us, I've spoke with him about it. Some kids like to chase the points thing. The series thing is not a bad thing - you can partipate if you want, but you dont have to play either. Seems like if you only wrestle in kansas you see the same faces every weekend anyhow. And just for beeson - my kid liked the hoody and stocking cap they gave out for the winners. He liked the bling! What kid wouldn't like it. We had no issue paying one dollar more for the entry fee to a series tournie, whether or not my kid won. The series is an incentive for SOME kids - but it doesnt mean you'll be a state champion @ the end of the season.

Last edited by birddog; 04/10/10 03:20 AM. Reason: gramer
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: birddog] #168177 04/10/10 03:43 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: birddog
And just for beeson - my kid liked the hoody and stocking cap they gave out for the winners. He liked the bling! What kid wouldn't like it. We had no issue paying one dollar more for the entry fee to a series tournie, whether or not my kid won. The series is an incentive for SOME kids - but it doesnt mean you'll be a state champion @ the end of the season.

Are you from Kansas? How many Series Tournaments in Oklahoma did you attend to get your bling?

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: birddog] #168183 04/10/10 08:54 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
and why don't we have several of our kansas tournie's involved in their series to start with? maybe to get some okies up here wrestling? can't hurt us at all? and im sure jerry scott would be glad to help us?

Are their tournaments USAW sanctioned?

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: birddog] #168185 04/10/10 10:47 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Seems like if you only wrestle in kansas you see the same faces every weekend anyhow.

Jr High - 7 weeks (21 matches)
Kids - 14 tournaments (49 matches)
Total matches (70)
Different opponents (49)
Weight classes wrestled (2 - kept growing during the season)
Number of matches against the same opponent (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3)
Kids tournaments wrestled outside of D1 (5 - Salina, Lindsborg, Manhattan, Pratt, Chapman)
Matches wrestled outside Kansas (0) - until today (Middle School National Duals - Indianola, Iowa)

Lee Girard
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: ReDPloyd] #168193 04/10/10 01:53 PM
B
bockman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
i guess if freestyle and greco are the only way kansas will take steps forward then maybe we should start looking at how to get that to grow. if its after a long 6 month season of folkstyle its not going to happen. those numbers will grow maybe at a small pace but i doubt kids that play football and baseball are going to want to do it for 7-8 months competatively. yeah you will have a few but alot would be better.

Scott Bockover
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: bockman] #168194 04/10/10 02:03 PM
Beeson Offline
I don't think that we can really say the season is 6 months long. For a select few it is, but for the majority the season is about 3 months long. Look at tournaments, they really don't get into full swing until the 1st of January. Freestyle and Greco state was moved to May this year. So if the majority of the kids wrestled all three styles they would have a season of 5 months.

I think Doug is on the right track here. Improve Freestyle and Greco numbers. That is the way we need to be improving Kansas Wrestling. We need to make the Triple Crown more competitive.

Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: Beeson] #168228 04/10/10 09:35 PM
B
bockman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
most of the kids that would be wrestling freestyle and greco will be the ones starting practice in oct. and wrestling the oklahoma tournaments in early november.

Scott Bockover
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: hotrodder54] #168232 04/10/10 10:53 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: hotrodder54
Originally Posted By: HEADUP

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. You can travel as much as you want or as little as you want. This schedule works for us

And I will choose where I spend that money. I can guarantee it wont be on the series. Our schedule will not change much next year.

no harm seen here, if you don't want to don't, but don't try to tell me how to spend my money. no one would force you to do anything, your competitveness would take care of that.

blt i say find 3 other clubs (1 from each district) and start it up, if it works without beeson,luellen, trowbridge, sportsfan and others so be it. if it doesn't so what, those who stand around to tell you " i told you so" get their day in the sun. so what.

Thats your best advice "piss on those guys BLT" go get'em Tiger you can do it. Sounds like that friend you know the one. When you get caught in a dark alley is the first to run and find help but doesn't stay to help. AWESOME

trust me i wouldn't run. my advice is if you want something done then do it, it can be a success with or without you. sorry if i struck a nerve. i'm saying that the opposing views are great for proactive decision making, but the same points keep getting brought up, the same few keep saying the same things over and over, there really no new info, coming from the opposing voices. so my advice is yes go ahead and give it a shot. i suspect when it goes we will see you there. again no harm.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Kansas triple crown [Re: HEADUP] #168243 04/11/10 02:08 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Chad, something to keep in mind is that USJOC requires USA cards, so a lot of those Okies do buy one, but only use it at USJOC, so that may not be as much of a deterrent as you might think. So as far as the KS series we are talking about, I still agree with you that I don't think it improves KS wrestling as a whole. No doubt the kids like the bling, but we are really after making kids better wrestlers. Someone earlier asked about "asking the kids". What do you think a kid is gonna say when you say "would you like to get a great big trophy for winning the Kansas Series?"?? He is gonna say yes of course. But is it going to imprve the sport in Kansas? I know BLT is really trying to do this to make it better, but too many others just want another award to hand their kid.

Here is something else to think about when you are talking about bringing kids in: once the first few tourneys are wrestled, kids are going to realize they are OUT of the points race, and not show up, and the numbers will thin out as you get deeper in the series.

If I were to back anything like this, it would have to only be tourneys like Salina, Western Kansas Classic, and Wichita Classic, after those two are split up. No offense to Maize, or other tourneys, but OVERALL I think the three tourneys above are the toughest. I know certain brackets at certain tourneys might be tougher, but overall, that is my opinon.

Chad, you and I might not agree on splitting the team up some weekends. If there is a kid or kids in our club that are not getting beat, he needs to go somewhere to test himself against different competition. We split up quite a bit during the season, but more times than not we are together, building some team spirit. There is plenty of time for that, so I think it is counterproductive to INSIST that the team all goes to the same tourneys.

Last edited by doug747; 04/11/10 02:19 AM.
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)