Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is your purpose? #167361 04/01/10 12:10 AM
C
Coach G Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have been involved w/ wrestling for over 20 years and I'm only 29. In the beginning I could not wrestle because I had a brain tumor. I had the tumor removed superbowl weekend 1985 or 1986. I remember watching the challenger explode when I came out of surgery. The tumor was removed but I had a shunt put in and the Dr.'s said I would have to have it replaced through out the rest of my life.
My body rejected the shunt in 1988, and the Dr.'s had to remove it. The Lord blessed me, I have not had complications w/ it since. God is Good!

My older brother was able to wrestle, however he did not have much success right away. He went three years before recording his first victory. He later went on to become a 2X state Champ and 3X AA at the next level. He was not a D1 wrestler but he had the ability. Now he gives back to our great sport.
I watched my brother learn how to win w/ hard work, and my dad not allowing him to quit or make excuses. This was possible because my dad allowed Coach Knox to coach w/o to much interference.

December 1993, my prayers were answered. The Dr.'s cleared me to wrestle. What was once only a dream, became my reality. I finished 4th at state my first year. By my senior year I was ablel to win 1 high school state championship. Plus I was able to go to college for the sport I had grown to love.

At one point I prided myself in knowing that no one worked harder than me. I knew I was blessed so I had to work to show gratitude for the blessing I had received. In college I took that work ethic w/ me. But when I did not see results of it quickly. somewhere along the way I lost sight of the love I had for the sport which I was blessed to participate in. I put things in my body that did not belong and I made horrible choices. Which led to the disappointment of myself, parents, coaches, and family. I was back home, w/o a degree when I made it to my senior year.

I was lost for about a year, and then my faith, wife, family and wrestling all gave me the strength to get up and do something. I was taught not to quit. When you fall to get back up. I thank God for my parents and the lessons they tought me along the way. I had a coach tell me somenthing bad is going to happen in a match (life). But he asked me how ould I respond? That question stuck with me. It was foresight.

I made up in my mind that I was not going to allow my failures to be in vain. I wanted to make sure that the kids coming up behind me would not make the same mistakes that I did. Plus, I felt like I could help Coach Knox, My cousin Danny, My Dad and the club maintain producing the states best wrestlers.

Life is hard, so are wrestlers. My purpose is to build relationships, not tear them down. Help kids ge
t better in the sport of wrestling and become better men.......

Remember I am blessed and if were not for the Lord, I would not be here. My Purpose is to inspire, help the youth, build relationships, and Show Christ.

So I want to thank the people who helped me become the man I am.
I Thank God, my parents, brother, Coach Knox, Coach Danny and Pops (Team D), Coach Watkins, Coach Denny, Coach Higdon, Coach Oliver, my family for their support and everyone else who has impacted my life.

Thanks...... So, what is your purpose?

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win"

Gaylen Taylor (TOHK)

God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.....Be thankful and humble.
Re: What is your purpose? [Re: Coach G] #167374 04/01/10 02:34 AM
N
n7m13c99 Offline
N
Thank You!

Re: What is your purpose? [Re: n7m13c99] #167394 04/01/10 12:25 PM
KANSAS PRIDE Offline
Best post I have ever read on these forums.

WRESTLE THE BEST, LOSE LIKE THE REST
Re: What is your purpose? [Re: KANSAS PRIDE] #167396 04/01/10 12:42 PM
W
wanwan21 Offline
W
Exactly, let's build up....not tear down. That is the purpose for all of us!

Re: What is your purpose? [Re: wanwan21] #167398 04/01/10 12:48 PM
W
wishingiwerether Offline
W
Gaylen, I think you put my feelings into words. Thank you!

Last edited by wishingiwerether; 04/01/10 12:49 PM.
Re: What is your purpose? [Re: wishingiwerether] #167405 04/01/10 01:20 PM
U
up4wrestling Offline
U
Nice Read...hope others follow your lead.

Re: What is your purpose? [Re: up4wrestling] #167466 04/01/10 09:02 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Purpose: When I die I wish not to be remembered for what I have accomplished, or the money I have made, or the material possesions I could afford. God will forgive me for my sins, and I won't have any regrets for the rules I have broken, or the choices I have made. I want to be remembered for the difference I have made in the life of a child. A positive difference in the life of one, single child.

Thanks Gaylon for reminding me, sometimes we all get wrapped up in the stuff that really makes no difference.

Thanks Mom and Dad, Coach G, Coach A, Randy H., and all the others who have also helped me along the way.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: What is your purpose? [Re: HEADUP] #167477 04/01/10 10:29 PM
D
dean70 Offline
D
Galen,s post was very inspirational to me. My purpose is to provide my children what they need to get through life. down the road, I hope my son can look at life this way. He hasn,t had medicaal problems thus far. but he is an obese kid. His accomplishments started 3 years ago. But what he did at state this year made me proud. No is is not a state champion. But what he did to get there took a great deal of dicipline, sweat and even tears. TOHK made my kid a better wrestler. My boy wrestled against them every week for 2 years. The quality they bring to the mat speaks for itself. and yes I get emotionally involved at trying to beat their kids. But win or lose, I have learned to leave it on the mat. Galen complimented my son at park city. he said he made a good shot. TOHK are good people. nobody knows the committment these people make in the culture they are from. unless you grew up in the intercity, you dont know what its like to have the odds against you. I grew up in the KC area. Wyandotte County. I beat the odds as well as alot of the coaches being slandered on this forum. KS wrestling wouldnt be the same without TOHK. And how many lifes have been impacted by Charlie Knox and his coaches. just as many or more than any club in KS. Galen, I appreciate your post. It was great to do some soul searching. Thanks. See ya around. Charlie King/Wichita Aztecas

Re: What is your purpose? [Re: dean70] #167479 04/01/10 11:03 PM
Chase Offline
Gaylen you've definitly gaven back to the sport. I've ALWAYS appreciated having you in my corner in the past, and learned TONS from you/Kenny/Danny/Knox. And when I talk about the old times with buddies I still talk about coach Gaylen Taylor when I had you at Southern Plains and how you got me super pumped for my match and I went out and belly to back 5 pointed the kid. And I wasn't even a TOHK kid and my dad missed the throw on video, all you can see is Coach Gaylen jumping 10 feet high for the throw and keeping me going.

Now that my career is over its nice to still see you at tournaments still giving back (and giving me the oppurtunity to talk smack to you in my official's shirt! ha). So here is my thanks, and my request that you keep doing what your doing for our sport Gaylen!

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 182 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)