Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 34 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: willie424] #184197 02/25/11 06:49 AM
BLT Offline
Chief
Why would you guys want to take some of the best kids in the state to an out of state tournament.
Not to sound selfish here but don't you think the fans of this state deserve the chance to watch some of these kids from different classes finally wrestle each other? And what about the young kids who would like to see them wrestle also.
And to take them OUT of state on that weekend just really makes me question a lot of things.
I know how much you and Will do for wrestling in KS but how will we start attracting scouts if you are dragging the best of the best out of Kansas?

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: willie424] #184198 02/25/11 11:52 AM
C
Chiefs Offline
C

I have watched Davis now for 4 years. That kid is HARD to score points on. He is very worthy of his all class ranking. IMO

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: doug747] #184199 02/25/11 01:03 PM
S
sugar80 Offline
S
I would like to see the three of them go at it also. Bainter has a tough match in the semis today. Bainter is still the heavy favorite in a tough 130 in 321A.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: BLT] #184207 02/25/11 02:26 PM
L
lylegeyer Offline
L
Originally Posted By: BLT
Chief
Why would you guys want to take some of the best kids in the state to an out of state tournament.
Not to sound selfish here but don't you think the fans of this state deserve the chance to watch some of these kids from different classes finally wrestle each other? And what about the young kids who would like to see them wrestle also.
And to take them OUT of state on that weekend just really makes me question a lot of things.
I know how much you and Will do for wrestling in KS but how will we start attracting scouts if you are dragging the best of the best out of Kansas?

I agree. And posted earlier on this same subject matter. Cheif and Will do a great thing for wrestling, but on this one I have to disagree. If the are so adamant on taking our wrestlers to one of many many Rocky Mountain Nationals then I ask why didn't they round em up for the earlier Rocky Mountain National event called Who's Bad World Championships in Pueblo colorado just a few months ago. Then ks could boast we have world champions and our wresters could of entered a drawing to win a Carmelo Anthony Autographed Basketball. (lmfao at a national wrestling event.(taboo)) Like I said earlier National tournys are fun and cool, but when they have 18 of them in one year and 5 in Colorado alone its gets a little old and watered down. 5 national titles in one year and in one state it too much especially when we have a chance to see Who's Bad right here in Kansas. Imagine the district tournys alone. They would be like any division of the High School Championships, not to mention the match ups at state all classes.

Last edited by lylegeyer; 02/25/11 02:28 PM.
Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: lylegeyer] #184211 02/25/11 02:59 PM
windjammer Offline
They can't take high schoolers during the season. KSHSAA rules. Let's not get that started again.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: windjammer] #184242 02/25/11 06:27 PM
W
willie424 Offline
W
So your sitting here bashing two men for providing young men with an opportunity to better themselves by wrestling some tough out of state competition? Its not like there forcing these young men to go they have a choice they are just providing them with the opportunity really not such a bad thing at all. If the kids want to go they can.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: willie424] #184311 02/26/11 01:35 PM
L
lylegeyer Offline
L
Originally Posted By: willie424
So your sitting here bashing two men for providing young men with an opportunity to better themselves by wrestling some tough out of state competition? Its not like there forcing these young men to go they have a choice they are just providing them with the opportunity really not such a bad thing at all. If the kids want to go they can.

Bashing! are you kidding me? Get some thicker skin. I merely stated we have wanted an all class state competition for ever, and now that is here, some are considering running off to a team so-called national dual, when The Highschool National Championships is only a few weeks away that not only decides the National Individual champs but Team National Champs as well. They want to take two dual teams to RMN when we can take both dual teams and more to Nationals and compete as one Kansas team. Say kansas wins the RMN duals, who cares when the Highschool National Championships will crown the true best state team in a couple weeks. I feel RMN has too many tournaments. They call them nationals and worlds when in reality they should be called Regional Championships similar to the Southern Plains in Hays, and even then Eddie G. overkills with too many tournys. I'm not bashing anyone, and wish the best to all wrestlers in Kansas, even the ones who decide to skip the Kansas All Class Highschool Division State Championships and venture to Colorado.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: windjammer] #184312 02/26/11 01:37 PM
L
lylegeyer Offline
L
Originally Posted By: windjammer
They can't take high schoolers during the season. KSHSAA rules. Let's not get that started again.

Your right. There goes the chance for the autographed Carmelo Anthony Basketball!! lol Man i'm sure alot of our wrestlers are heart broken.

Last edited by lylegeyer; 02/26/11 01:39 PM.
Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: lylegeyer] #184315 02/26/11 01:53 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: lylegeyer
Originally Posted By: windjammer

Your right. There goes the chance for the autographed Carmelo Anthony Basketball!! lol Man i'm sure alot of our wrestlers are heart broken.

The above (get a basketball) plus the 'get some thicker skin' had me lol! Thank you!

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: Dean Welsh] #184325 02/26/11 05:01 PM
BLT Offline
Ummm after this weekend isnt the season over??
Im not bashing anyone but the whole idea behind adding the HS divison was to try to make or see some of these dream match ups. But if our intent is to make all star teams and travel out of state then lets do away with the HS division and make kids state a shorter day.
IMO the whole reason behind adding HS to kids was to answer some of those what ifs watch ups, increase revenue for USAWKS, and maybe draw some college scouts into one venue.
And taking away this talent hurts that from happening.
If we cant achieve our goal or goals then why are we doing it?

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: BLT] #184327 02/26/11 05:44 PM
Beeson Offline
Lance, that was not the reason that the High School Division was added. At the State meeting, one of the main selling points was that this would be for kids who loved wrestling and wanted to continue. We knew that because of Sr. Nationals, Flow Nationals, and a few others that were already scheduled on this date that we would not get alot of "elite" kids to participate. College Coaches are not going to come to a "kids" state championship tournament. With some dates changing, I think people would like to see these match ups. Too many kids see the High School season as being over after High School State, and want to start baseball or track for their High School. This was meant to give more opportunity to kids that just love to wrestle.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: Beeson] #184331 02/26/11 07:05 PM
BLT Offline
Chad
What is your take on these kids going to Colorado?
I get Sr. Nationals and a few other elite events but it just sucks that we take this talent out of state on this date.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: BLT] #184339 02/26/11 09:49 PM
Beeson Offline
Not that my take matters but, they are free to go to wherever they choose. There will be "elite" kids not attend for a variety of reasons; other sports, family vacations, spring break, college trips, other wrestling tournaments, or maybe they are just through. Not sure one reason trumps another.

There will also be some "elite" wrestlers attend. There will be alot of kids that love to wrestle attend. Some wrestlers will not be attending college to wrestle and this is another opportunity to wrestle before they are forced to be done because of age. The High School Division is a good division, even if it is not full of the "elite" matches some are wanting to see. Like my dad always told me, "You can want in one hand and cry in the other and see which one fills up faster." The ones that show up will be there because they love the sport. Enjoy it while you can.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: Beeson] #184349 02/27/11 12:12 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
I thought it was want in one hand and crap in the other. i'm pretty sure i can fill up with crap faster that beeson can with tears. lol. i agree let's keep the high school division, but let's add the 6u. wait am i on the right thread?

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: lylegeyer] #184575 02/27/11 10:51 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: lylegeyer
Originally Posted By: BLT
Chief

I agree. And posted earlier on this same subject matter. Cheif and Will do a great thing for wrestling, but on this one I have to disagree. If the are so adamant on taking our wrestlers to one of many many Rocky Mountain Nationals then I ask why didn't they round em up for the earlier Rocky Mountain National event called Who's Bad World Championships in Pueblo colorado just a few months ago. Then ks could boast we have world champions and our wresters could of entered a drawing to win a Carmelo Anthony Autographed Basketball. (lmfao at a national wrestling event.(taboo)) Like I said earlier National tournys are fun and cool, but when they have 18 of them in one year and 5 in Colorado alone its gets a little old and watered down. 5 national titles in one year and in one state it too much especially when we have a chance to see Who's Bad right here in Kansas. Imagine the district tournys alone. They would be like any division of the High School Championships, not to mention the match ups at state all classes.

Lyle,

We are not going to Colorado because of the name of the tournament. We are going because of the folkstyle dual format. There are very few chances for us to reward, showcase and gain valuable experience for our top wrestlers, while enjoying the pride of representing Kansas. Keeping team scores in an individual bracketed tournament is MUCH different than taking our top two All-Class wrestlers and forming two dual teams! Many of these wrestlers do not wrestle FS/GR and are very excited to represent their state wrestling folkstyle with the special experience that a dual gives them. Nobody is delusional enough to think this tournament is a "national title". It's just a great time and well due recognition for these wrestlers being considered the best that we have in Kansas.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: Chief Renegade] #184577 02/27/11 11:03 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Chief,
With all due respect i don't think if these athletes go to Colorado to wrestle and miss our own Kansas qualifying series we can call them the best in Kansas, yes we can call them the best in their classification 321a, 4a, 5a, or 6a, but the only way to be able to call them the best in Kansas is to let them meet on the mat in our own qualifying series.

Lance Geyer

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: L.Geyer] #184595 02/27/11 11:54 PM
badbo Offline
Lance, the qualifying kids series is a great opportunity to let kids wrestle more that want to, but that is about where it ends. It's not the proving ground for the best in KS. Many do not attend and of those that do, most will not be at their HS weight. But to say they are not the best becuase they miss our "own" qualifying series is off target. Our "own" qualifying series is a great attempt to cover the failures of our KSHSAA to have a true grand state that is sanctioned and supported through the HS system. It's not anywhere close to the real thing. One more kids state title is not going to make you any more desirable to a college coach, but winning a couple matches against some national kids at a venue like Denver might.

Our HS year is over. Now it's time for the fun wrestling be that our "own" kids state series, Denver, Sr. Nationals or whatever. Kids wrestle this time of year for fun. The summer is training to get better and the HS season is the grind to try to win a state championship.

JMO.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: badbo] #184598 02/28/11 12:07 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Badbo,
I agree that many high school wrestlers are not going to want to make weight or train as hard after the season or they want to have fun like you stated, but i was referring to tbe last part of chiefs post when he said the best Kansas had to offer, and some of the earlier post when they were also talking about inviting only a select few to go, my opinion if some of these kids have never wrestled head to head as many never get the chance to, how does someone decide who is the best in ks. The only way to know of a state champion in 321a is better than the 6a champion is for them to face off, and the only place this may be possible is in the qualifying series.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: L.Geyer] #184936 03/01/11 01:29 PM
W
wrestle strong Offline
W
When are you planning on having the updated rankings up now that state is all done? im sure theres alot to think about.

Re: 2010-11 All-Class Rankings! [Re: wrestle strong] #184981 03/01/11 04:31 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have 5 weights done. I am REAL busy...

I hope to have them done by tomorrow. smile

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Page 30 of 34 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Kramer), 162 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)