Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: smokeycabin] #173475 10/17/10 12:23 PM
Cokeley Offline
This is the hs forum page.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: Cokeley] #173557 10/18/10 07:12 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yes it is a high school area and these people like BBQ also and they were once 4,5 & 6 years old. I hope they are reading this in HS - that means they are still involved. I wonder how many of the kids and parents - look back and say - Man I wish we had a 6 & Under State Championship 10 or 12 years ago.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: smokeycabin] #174025 10/29/10 09:59 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
I wonder how many of the kids and parents - look back and say - Man I wish we had a 6 & Under State Championship 10 or 12 years ago.

Definitely not me, with all due respect smokeycabin.
It's bad enough that we have a multitude of 8, 10 and 12 year olds running around telling everybody about how they are "state champions".
It would be even worse and even more ridiculous if they were 6 and under. Once that's in then we will be looking for 4 and under and 2 and under. What an accomplishment that would be, to be the 1 and under state champion.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: XGHSWC] #174035 10/30/10 06:43 AM
BLT Offline
Originally Posted By: XGHSWC

It's bad enough that we have a multitude of 8, 10 and 12 year olds running around telling everybody about how they are "state champions".

Wow Really???
What’s wrong with a young person, who is dedicated to a sport, being proud of their accomplishments?
The next thing you know you are going to say something silly like “who cares about a 10 year old winning that Trinity Award thingy or that Triple Crown thing-a-ma-bob”??

hard work + success = THE RIGHT TO BE PROUD!!!!

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: BLT] #174038 10/30/10 08:44 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
BLT,

My worst nightmare would be my son telling me he didn't want to wrestle anymore. He will be a freshman this year and has put in nine years in the Kid's Federation. He has not placed at State but has been there twice going 3-4. The only National Tournament he has gone to was the Middle School Nationals Duals event last year. As an alternate, he went 7-1 (6-0 in alternate matches, 1-1 in team matches). Counting Junior High, he had 78 matches last year and won 60 of them. He placed 5th at the Kansas Middle Schools National Tournament, but didn't qualify for Kid's State going 0-2 in a brutal District bracket that sent four kids into the top five places at the Kid's State Tournament.

He had the greatest season he has ever had last year, and never wrestled more than 49 matches in a year, which he accomplished the year before. He has never wrestled Freestyle of Greco Roman because he is involved in baseball and soccer during the summer. All of that said, it would hurt me terribly if he said that he didn't want to wrestle anymore. He should be a solid High School wrestler and that is what is important to me, not that he won Kid's State at the age of whatever, or even placed.

Lee Girard
Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: ReDPloyd] #174048 10/30/10 11:22 AM
H
HISWAY Offline
H
As I sit here in cedarfalls iowa and wonder why I see so many kids from Minn,Wis,Ill, and Iowa. Kansas has a handfull of kids here. I have seen posts in the past commenting how Ks kids fall short compaired to above mentioned states. Well the answer lies in these posts. They start early in childs life and like football in Texas it is second to Religion. Strength is in numbers and if you want to see Kansas compete stronger at the national level get as many kids and parents excited about the sport as you can.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: BLT] #174079 10/31/10 12:37 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: BLT

Wow Really???
What’s wrong with a young person, who is dedicated to a sport, being proud of their accomplishments?
The next thing you know you are going to say something silly like “who cares about a 10 year old winning that Trinity Award thingy or that Triple Crown thing-a-ma-bob”??

hard work + success = THE RIGHT TO BE PROUD!!!!

I am sorry, you have missed the point.
Of course they should be proud and so should their parents.

Last edited by XGHSWC; 10/31/10 12:38 AM.
Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: HISWAY] #174080 10/31/10 12:48 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: HISWAY
As I sit here in cedarfalls iowa and wonder why I see so many kids from Minn,Wis,Ill, and Iowa. Kansas has a handfull of kids here. I have seen posts in the past commenting how Ks kids fall short compaired to above mentioned states. Well the answer lies in these posts. They start early in childs life and like football in Texas it is second to Religion. Strength is in numbers and if you want to see Kansas compete stronger at the national level get as many kids and parents excited about the sport as you can.

This is a ridiculous comment as Kansas is in the top 10 every year in folkstyle, freestyle or greco if not all at the same time.
Additionally Kansas is like 4th in the nation in kids memberships and has as excited parents as anyone.
I am not sure why it was posted either as it is really unrelated to the previous comments.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: XGHSWC] #174081 10/31/10 12:55 AM
Bender Offline
I agree X, but honestly 'hisway' do you believe starting as a 6 year old wrestling in tournaments really helps you become a more technical wrestler. I can understand teaching your kids moves when they are young at home, but there is no need for tournaments or competitive practices until age 8 at the earliest.

Bite my shiny metal @$$
Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: Bender] #174082 10/31/10 01:26 AM
H
HISWAY Offline
H
Heres what I. Believe kids and parents involved period. Check and tell me how we did at preason nationals and two wrestlers left at super 32. Sure looks kansas is on same level. Results speak loud.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: HISWAY] #174084 10/31/10 01:49 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Heres what I. Believe kids and parents involved period. Check and tell me how we did at preason nationals and two wrestlers left at super 32. Sure looks kansas is on same level. Results speak loud.

"Super 32" don't mean nothing to me and the results of that prove nothing.
I am talking about Senior Nationals, the National Duals and Fargo.
But you are right that results speak loud so you better check those results before you start popping off.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: Bender] #174086 10/31/10 02:33 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
You can become a more technical wrestler at any age, if you teach them technical moves. If you want them to win at 6U, teach them a headlock, they'll win most of their matches, and intimidate other 6u kids with it. But then most kids will rely on that move, and when they start getting their tails handed to them at 8u, 10u, etc., they quit the sport. I think it is a move that kids should learn when they start FS/Greco, AFTER they have learned several leg attacks, a standup, and some riding/pinning combinations from the top.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: doug747] #174109 10/31/10 02:22 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
I have seen a number of kids through the years that learned the headlock at an early age and tried to throw it every match they had. Success early on, not so much as they progressed through the sport. And yes, they either had to adapt and learn how to wrestle, or they just quit. From my perspective, the headlock should be learned, but only used in desperation (need a lot of points with not much time left in the match). More important than throwing the headlock is good technique in setting it up.

Lee Girard
Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: ReDPloyd] #174126 11/01/10 12:30 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Doug, is Levi really allowed to use a headlock???? It is a great move, but has it place. All kids should know a move like it. Like the Missouri kids that spaudle. The problem is making it your main move. Should be outlawed for 6u. And, having a strong 6u state program will not make a state better. I believe too many parents think their 5 year old is a beast and start him wrestling way too early and it does not go well and then they are done. I know this is way off topic, but the only reason we are doing a 6u state is because the parents of 6 year olds provide the state alot of money, and now they need to be thrown a bone. Change the age groups to what USA runs and then all the problems are solved - 6u state and high school kids competing against jr high kids.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: John Johnson] #174136 11/01/10 12:44 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Yes, he can throw a headlock. If it works, he doesn't get a beating when he gets home. If it doesn't work, he get 30 lashes with a braided piece of the Wilson boys' hair.........

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: XGHSWC] #174137 11/01/10 12:49 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C

Interesting position.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: XGHSWC] #174139 11/01/10 02:02 PM
Q
Quagmire Offline
Q

But you are right that results speak loud so you better check those results before you start popping off.

I'm pretty sure the results of super 32 prove something. It's considered one of the toughest tournaments in the nation with over 100 kids in almost every bracket.

Fargo is probably the toughest tournament but super 32 in my opinion is probably tougher than senior nationals.

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: Quagmire] #174143 11/01/10 03:10 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Amazing that Chief and Quagmire have both missed my point.
My comments regarding Super 32 were made in response to HISWAY's comments eluding to the "fact" that Kansas wrestling was not up to snuff as "verified" by "our" poor showing at Super 32.
Of course Super 32 is one of the toughest tournaments, that goes without saying. That is a no-brainer. It speaks volumes about the talent/skill/potential of individuals, of course it helps "prove" how good individuals are. But it is not a good reflection of Kansas wrestling as a whole and does nothing to "prove" where we stand as a state. The majority of our best wrestlers do not even go. That is why I said it don't mean nothing to me.
I would think that you should focus more on the derogatory comments of HISWAY and helping me paint a better picture of Kansas wrestling than focusing on one comment about Super 32 that was obviously taken out of context and correcting me because I might have offended someone.
Sorry that I was not clearer, I did not think that it was necessary.
And sorry if I offended anyone.
I know one thing for sure and that is that Kansas Wrestling rocks, especially when you consider how small the population is and our past results at the National Duals, Fargo and the Senior Nationals definitely "prove" that.
Have a great day!

Last edited by XGHSWC; 11/01/10 03:14 PM.
Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: XGHSWC] #174144 11/01/10 03:31 PM
moeder Offline
["Super 32" don't mean nothing to me and the results of that prove nothing.

That is an interesting opinion. I wonder why so many college coaches do some of their primary recruiting at Super 32? Hats off to everyone from Kansas who competed in this tournament!

("X" you snuck in a reply before I submitted my post that I didnt see. You backed out of that nicely!) smile

Re: smokeycabin's rankings [Re: XGHSWC] #174148 11/01/10 03:50 PM
H
HISWAY Offline
H
You have missed my point. The more kids and parents you have involved in wrestling the better it will be. I come from the south where football is lived and breathed. The only thing I am saying is that start them early get them excited and the sport will only prosper. From the northern states wrestling is as football is in the south. Maybe because its is an indoor event in a climate that no one wants to be outside I do not know but it is a passion in the Northern states. Due to this passion the do very well at national events.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 112 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)