Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sprawl National Results #175828 12/05/10 02:15 AM
allaroundwrestli Offline OP
OP Offline
Sprawl national's was a great tournament, laid back, great competition, kids from 8 or 9 States. Definatly will go back next year and Kansas needs to support this tourney, it could be huge. The director's did every thing they could to give as much mat time and make it as enjoyable as possible. Hat's off to 316 productions.

Mason Turner- champion, Tristin Cortez from Oklahoma 2nd, and Holden Butler from clay center 3rd

Jaymez Turner- 3rd place

Brittany Turner- 2nd place

Saw alot of good matches and I like how they announce featured matches. Again when it rolls around next year, don't wait on the numbers to go up just enter and wrestle. You will be surprised, we were.

J. Turner
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: allaroundwrestli] #175835 12/05/10 04:26 AM
BLT Offline
This was a good tournament.
They did a lot of things right today.

They didn't charge for brackets... Super nice surprise!
Lots of good competion!
Every kid had a full mat!
They worked very hard to get everyone as many matches as possible!
The awards were nice!
Steve Foster did great running Track Wrestling!

A few points of improvement... some refs were average at best!
Keep the date... change the name! I think the word nationals scares off some kids.

Everyone needs to get out and support this event. Its the perfect way to kick off the Kansas Wrestling Season!!

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: BLT] #175836 12/05/10 07:12 AM
B
Bowen Offline
B
Great way to start Ks. wrestling . Small but rough and tough , with almost every brkt had either a state qualifer, placer, champ, or national placer,and there was also a few kids out of state. I also think the date should be kept. The rumers of makeing this tourny and a couple of others a point series is a good idea for Ks. also. A very well ran tournament, good job Steve and 316 productions !

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: Bowen] #175848 12/05/10 02:01 PM
C
CoachEd Offline
C

It was a sad day in Kansas Wrestling yesterday, one of the best tournaments in in Kansas was held yesterday at the Hartman arena. Sadly to say we had so many kids from other states drive for a maximum of 10 hours to get some good wrestling and our own state chooses to go out of state for some unknown reason. There were kids from Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, and would have been more if the numbers had been where they should have been. Our state has some of the best wrestling in the country and we think we have to go everywhere else to get competition. The worst mistake is to not know what you have at home, and to keep looking for green grass when you have prime pasture right in front of you. I know that some of you think i don't understand but if you think I'm wrong, just go take look at the college rosters from around the country. KANSAS! KANSAS! KANSAS! If that doesn't speak loud to you i don't know what will!!! Thank you Wichita Sprawl for putting on a very well ran tournament and competition that was off the charts. SUPPORT KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COACH ED

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: CoachEd] #175852 12/05/10 02:35 PM
W
wishingiwerether Offline
W
This was a well run tournament. They spared no expense to make everyone happy. They took what they had for wrestlers and set up great compitition. We will be back....

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: wishingiwerether] #175859 12/05/10 04:29 PM
D
dagwood Offline
D
Good atmosphere, great wrestling and many marquee match-ups. Hats off to everyone involved in putting this tournament on.

Darren Newton
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: dagwood] #175870 12/05/10 07:04 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Glad to hear it was well ran.....but as for "out of state wrestlers" how many were there?? By the most part they were local kids. Yes, lots of talented wrestler, but let's think about it. You will see most of the entrants at any local tournament. Those who went out of state, had nothing to do with support Kansas. Went to see different kids instead of ones we will see week in and week out. Why do clubs go to Tulsa? There are local tournaments those weekends also. Answer....different kids. Maybe in future the numbers will go up. But don't blame clubs for going else where till then.

Just food for thought....not looking for an argument...just giving my opinion.

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: Spexy] #175872 12/05/10 07:19 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
Last year we went to the Ted Anderson tournament. thought it was the best thing in the world. when our club were trying to decide what tournaments to wrestle this year this dilema came up as to go to ted anderson or sprawls. well if we cant get our own kansas kids to this tournament how the hell will it ever grown. all the clubs were complaining last year about how small it was but still failed to show. you actually think most out of state kids are going to say hey lets go to kanas and wrestle today. no it has never been that way with the exception of wichita classic and thats because its the week after oklahoma state. we will get a few here and there unless we can get the best kansas kids to help make this grow. im glad our club decided to back kansas wrestling this year and will continue to do so in the future. i just hope that eventually everyone that wants to have a nationals in kansas will get on board with it. once the other states start losing 100 kansas kids at their tournaments they will start coming here for this tournament. i will continue to go to some oklahoma tournaments in the future also. thank you to you guys that chose to run this tournament. as for the reffing yes there were some but you were all told that there were 2 refs doing it for the first time. wish they would have put them with maybe the young kids and not some of the more skilled ages to start off a career. that place would be a good place to hold any wrestling tournament.

Scott Bockover
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: bockman] #175878 12/05/10 11:02 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
I support Kansas wrestling 150% so don't get on here crying and talking about supporting Kansas wrestling. If you guys really wanted to support Kansas wrestling you would have gone to Mulvane a Kansas club that had a tournament, not some tournament that isn't affiliated with a club, taking entries from a Kansas club. Jmo.

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: bockman] #175879 12/05/10 11:19 PM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J
More clubs should run this format!! It is fun format which allows kids to wrestle a lot in a few hours. Our sport gets a bad rap for "sitting and waiting" or "hurry up and wait." I would have loved to have gone to Edmond for the competition, but we wrestled 5 matches in 4 hours in a fun environment! We will come back if Sprawl keeps this format!

On another note, read an earlier post about about a name change. A name change might not be a bad idea. Post your name change idea!! Lose the "nationals."

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: Jack Otero] #175880 12/05/10 11:22 PM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J
Also that guy on the microphone was exciting but knew nothing about wrestling!! I had a good laugh at the match that went into 6 overtimes at Sprawl. Great idea though!

Last edited by Jack Otero; 12/05/10 11:50 PM.

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: allaroundwrestli] #175881 12/05/10 11:29 PM
5-count Offline
I agree with everyones post but this was alotta fun.... it was probably one of the most laid back Tournaments we have been to.... I think they need some help from us that went to market this to other clubs and local states to build it up. GREAT TOURNEY, IT WAS ARE 1ST AND WONT BE ARE LAST.

THANKS SPRAWL FOR A GREAT TIME.

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: 5-count] #175894 12/06/10 01:33 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
i heard that too jack. I also heard the 15 seconds left in the game. im not going to take away from what these guys are trying to help us out in doing. that is bringing kansas a national style tournament. i dont think roller has a club in oklahoma and las vegas. it was a laid back and the music playing all the time was cool. the boys kept saying i wish they would play eye of the tiger among naming other songs as they came on. i even saw a couple coaches start dancing at one point. it wasnt pretty but pretty funny. we as kansas need to decide if we really want to try and host a national style tournament. i think it would be awesome. i would not have to travel to cliff keen and tulsa if that would happen. it will not happen if the kansas teams do not show up first. also there were several teams that helped work that tournament and props to them as i thought it ran pretty smooth. im not saying those teams that went to ted anderson did anything wrong but we sure would like to see those teams stay and help build a national style tournament if we are ever going to get one. if not im ok with that to. like i said i went to ted anderson last year and thought it was the best tournament i saw all year. after talking to several kansas wrestling veterans over the summer and they explained some things to me that made sense and that helped me decide to stay in kansas this time and try to help this national format get started.

Scott Bockover
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: bockman] #175899 12/06/10 02:38 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline
You are right Roller does not have a club in Oklahoma or Vegas or Amarillo or Reno but he does give back alot to those areas. To say that one national tourney in Kansas will replace Rollers tournaments is crazy. They will always be the biggest tournaments in the nation. I think you are barking up the wrong tree advertising a national tournament. There are about 100 different "national tournaments" a year, it makes them too polluted and not worth as much. Jmo.

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: bubbasmom77] #175901 12/06/10 02:47 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
well just so you know Mike i for one am not advertising anything. I do know there was a lot of talk last year from various people about starting a national tournament right here in Kansas. not sure why that would be so wrong. I would back a national tournament if it comes to kansas and would help in whatever way but not advertising anything. first off trying a realistic national tournament doesnt work in 1 or even 2 years. look at brute. its still building every year. the roller tournaments are good tournaments but way too damn expensive if you ask me. not sure if they are the best as i hear from different coaches at those tournaments that if you want to spend the money there are better tournaments. im ok with wrestling what i already wrestle but i would still back a national tournament right here in kansas.

Last edited by bockman; 12/06/10 02:47 AM.

Scott Bockover
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: Jack Otero] #175913 12/06/10 04:27 AM
BLT Offline
Originally Posted By: Jack Otero

On another note, read an earlier post about about a name change. A name change might not be a bad idea. Post your name change idea!! Lose the "nationals."

Well I thought the awards were pretty cool as well. Maybe change it to The Sprawl Champions Cup or Sprawl Champions Cup Challenge. You dont have to have the word nationals in your title to be one of the best tournaments around.

Advertise what makes you stand out and build a brand.
Sprawl Champions Cup Challenge
Maize Battle for the Belt
Haysville King of the Ring

Some people will say a great tournament is not about the award its about the competition...
I say why not have both and try to please everyone!

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: BLT] #175918 12/06/10 12:50 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
To get back to the thread title...Congrats to Preston Martin, 8U 52 lbs, on his 1st place finish! His trophy was awesome. We heard nothing but good things about the tournament from his mom and dad.

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: Sudawn Bradley] #175925 12/06/10 01:55 PM
allaroundwrestli Offline OP
OP Offline
If your thinkin name change, how about Kansas Kickoff Classic to kick off the Kansas season, one huge tourney with a national feel.

J. Turner
Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: allaroundwrestli] #175929 12/06/10 03:21 PM
H
haskins6 Offline
H
Don't see anything wrong with the name. Its a good tournament and it will grow. And Congrats to Garrett haskins 12 and under 120 champ he loved it

Re: Sprawl National Results [Re: haskins6] #175945 12/06/10 04:37 PM
C
CBR's Dad Offline
C
I want to say congrats to the boys UMS coached this weekend Chase Reynolds 2nd, Login Brown 3rd, Reed Miller 4Th, Jake Patterson 2nd, Bryce Gfeller 2nd, Zachery Ganzales 2nd,and Antonio Ganzales 4th. Every kid we coached had a tuff bracket. The numbers were small but I was surprised at the level of competition. The awards were top notch and the tourney was ran well. The refs were a little green but other than that we will support this tournament next year and reccommend it to everyone. I say keep this tournament in December and use it as a kickoff to Kansas wrestling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 168 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,357
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)