Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Closed Practices?? [Re: HEADUP] #176577 12/13/10 10:53 PM
S
SEKMan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
i was referring to practices, i have a problem with "dad/coach" who is only in it for 1 kid. in my opinion, that's not coaching at all.

I agree with you. I don't think that happens much because with little kids in the room, everyone needs help. Whether it's stepping in show someone how to perform a task or wipe tears after a little one takes a spill. If you "Coach", you know what it entails.

Originally Posted By: HEADUP
the first paragraph is exactly what would happen with most of our dad/coaches.

That's a tough one to answer, no parent was ever asked, we were just told.....

Re: Closed Practices?? [Re: SEKMan] #176598 12/14/10 01:33 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
I know some things, and there are other things I don't. But one thing I do know is that if you want to coach, you have to coach as many of the kids in the wrestling room as you can. Whether you are able to give the time to coach at tournaments or not, well that is a different deal. If you want to help in practice, make sure that you watch what the coaches are teaching and do your best to mirror what they do.

I wrestled from the age of eight all the way through high school and have coached Kids' Fed for eleven years. There were times that I still had trouble following some of the moves that were being shown by coaches that came from a different program, state, or era than I did. When that happened, I would ask them to explain it to me again before I tried to teach the kids. The bottom line, there is no room for someone wanting to step on the mat at practice only to help their wrestler. No room.

Last edited by ReDPloyd; 12/14/10 01:34 AM.

Lee Girard
Re: Closed Practices?? [Re: ReDPloyd] #176670 12/14/10 10:50 PM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
Thanks to all the good coaches out there. I wish more teams (coaches and parents) could work together to help all of these kids instead of the selfish and controlling ways so many seem to have.

Re: Closed Practices?? [Re: HEADUP] #176694 12/15/10 06:14 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
headup

Most every club has a set of rules for dads/moms.If they do not know them or are ask to stop some thing they are doing.Who falt is it? I think it is the coaches falt.If the coach lets dads/moms yell when going live more do it.If the coach ask them to stop or THEY will not be in there at that time.It would be fixed.
The only way a tape would work is if it was of the moves we show the kids that day.How else could the moms/dads know what we as coaches wanted them to work on?Hard enough for some of the kids to learn the few moves we teach let alone more moves off the tv.
I sure think it would be better to fix the problem people,than to lock every one out.I have seen many dads set there with out sayong any thing and watch.Than A week latter the kid comes in doing that move like a cat.mmmmm I bet dad had some thing to do with this.

Re: Closed Practices?? [Re: CWB] #176695 12/15/10 12:11 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
the tape usually works better for the parent/coach. most all of them teach the wrestlers how to drill. that is sometimes more important than learning the moves. i said earlier that i don't think our club did everything right, i would have handled it much different. i haven't been head coach with our club in over 6 years, but i think our current coaches have a good handle on things.

CRB you are right dad does have something to do with the kid getting better AT HOME, but you didn't get all my posts. I said that i think dad's who want to coach should
1- get a background check
2- get a USA coaches card
3- get bronze certified
4- be willing to help out kids other than their own

#4 is where most dad/coaches fail

AND the main reason we asked parents to leave the room is for noise, there were soooo many talking that the kids were distracted. there were more talking than not, so they ALL left. if we let some stay we could have been in a discrimination situation. I think SEKMAN and i talked it out last night and understand each other's situation. thank you all for the input, we will work through this for this year, next year we will have a better plan.

Last edited by HEADUP; 12/15/10 12:19 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Closed Practices?? [Re: HEADUP] #176698 12/15/10 01:38 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
I get you headup.
Some times my reading comprehention sucks[my spelling is always bad]

I became a coach to pretect my son.Sad but true.I also do the same for every kids in the room.There is alot of coaches that over look a kid with no talent and let a talented kid hurt them.By this I meen arm bars,chokes and more.We all know the good kids normaly have win aT all cost in there heads.I know I did.My son is difrant and will let a kid up if he is getting hurt.
As for the back ground checks and coaches cards.I under stand totaly on coaches getting them.But some parents cant do this.We all made have did things aginst the law.It just comes down to who gets cought.I do not know what all the back ground check covers.But I do know there are some guys I know that will not even try to be a coach becouse uf this.I AM NOT SAYING THE BACK GROUND CHECK IS BAD!I am saying the guys/girls getting one should know what will pass and what will not be for they go get one.I was even woried about getting one and I only have speeding tickets.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 105 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)