Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
To many Tournaments #179951 01/26/11 02:36 PM
C
CMB Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Does anybody else out there think there might be to many tournaments on most week-ends? On the week-end of the 5th, there is 12 open tournaments. It looks like some of these tournies could combine to make for a better tournament. It just makes for a hard decision on where to go and find the mat time.

Chris Bowen
Goddard High Wrestling
Re: To many Tournaments [Re: CMB] #179952 01/26/11 02:52 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
it makes it hard when you have that many tournaments because the kids are all spread out and makes for smaller tournaments and you may only get 2 maybe 3 matches at some of these tournaments. if we only get 2 matches sometimes we ask another kid to wrestle like an exhibition but most of the time that doesnt work because you sit around 2 or 3 hours waiting to get it. by that time the kids lose interest and get tired. the open rooms on wed night would be a way to get more mat time but my kid has to study sometime. its getting harder the older he gets as he has 2 and sometimes 3 hours of homework and he is only in the 4th grade. alot of clubs host tournaments to help funds though so i see why there are so many. just wish there were less opens and make bigger ones and more novice to help those kids out and that is a way the clubs can still make fundraising money. bad thing is you would probably end up wrestling the same kids every weekend. we move our kids around in weight classes to see different kids to prevent that.

Scott Bockover
Re: To many Tournaments [Re: CMB] #179953 01/26/11 02:53 PM
crowdad Offline
Let me make this easy for you go watch some high school wrestling on the 5th. then come to SILVER LAKE on the 6th and make it home in time for the Supper Bowl. you will get open and novice wrestling in two gyms great food. and yes there are to many Tournaments but thats what we do.

Re: To many Tournaments [Re: CMB] #179954 01/26/11 02:55 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: CMB
Does anybody else out there think there might be to many tournaments on most week-ends?

Yes there are!
On the week-end of the 5th, there is 12 open tournaments.

My guess is some of those will end up being canceled.
It looks like some of these tournies could combine to make for a better tournament.

They can't make any money that way.

Re: To many Tournaments [Re: sportsfan02] #180000 01/26/11 06:32 PM
BLT Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
[They can't make any money that way.

Yes they can!! The math proves it! Its just that they dont want to share and communicate to make it work.
Look at JOC in OK, it is one BIG tournament put on by alot of clubs.
If a small club had a mat they could make almost as much profit working and helping at big tournaments as they could running a small novice tournament.

Re: To many Tournaments [Re: BLT] #180002 01/26/11 06:36 PM
BLT Offline
Maybe after its over Hutch and Buhler will jump on here and talk about how it went this year with their combined tournament.

Re: To many Tournaments [Re: BLT] #180004 01/26/11 06:52 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
So far it is going good, I have no reason to think it won't end that way either.

Clear expectations from each side and good communication throughout the process.

Now where it will go south is if either side has parents squirm out of their requirements, but again I don't forsee that.

I will give a report on the outcome as a overall experience.

Another thing for us anyways is that smaller tournament are getting less and less.

Wichita clubs are ruling this area with what they schedule. Not that is a complaint just the fact that smaller tourneys can't compete with a Wichita club, they are just to close.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: To many Tournaments [Re: Teamroper] #180006 01/26/11 07:04 PM
BLT Offline
I still think that a district coordinator would be an awesome tool to have.
They could help with trying to schedule tournaments X miles apart. They could help find smaller clubs willing to work at tournaments. And they could be a resource for where people find cheap awards or other items. Maybe a outside vendor contact.

Lots of stuff could be funneled thru this person and shared with the entire state.

Just another neat idea that someone had in the past that will live its short life here on the talk forum and never see the light of day!

Re: To many Tournaments [Re: BLT] #180008 01/26/11 07:11 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: BLT
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
[They can't make any money that way.

Yes they can!! The math proves it! Its just that they dont want to share and communicate to make it work.
Look at JOC in OK, it is one BIG tournament put on by alot of clubs.
If a small club had a mat they could make almost as much profit working and helping at big tournaments as they could running a small novice tournament.

Ask the original clubs involved with the Classic how that worked out. I believe even Tulsa Nationals was started in the same manner. Eventually clubs realize the small profits of a combined effort simply aren't worth the amount of work required.

Re: To many Tournaments [Re: BLT] #180011 01/26/11 07:26 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I still think that a district coordinator would be an awesome tool to have.
They could help with trying to schedule tournaments X miles apart.

I think we've had this discussion before but for the umpteenth time. Most clubs have one or two dates upon which their facilities are available. Our club hosted a tournament this season and we had ONE date where our facilities were available. What would you propose a "district coordinator" do in that event? Any club that has the option of more than one date is going to choose the one where they have the least competition. It's not like these clubs are scheduling on top of each other on purpose!

Re: To many Tournaments [Re: BLT] #182245 02/15/11 01:40 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Maybe after its over Hutch and Buhler will jump on here and talk about how it went this year with their combined tournament.

I guess I can only speak from my side Team Lightning, but the combo effort went great imo.

Jeremy and the Hutch guys can give you their take on it. I doubt it will be different than the feedback I have already gotten from them.

The details are still be worked out (financials) but all in all, we were done setting up earlier than ever, the tear down was great and both club's parents worked very hard.

Granted it isn't for everyone and having relatives from each club involved help break the ice is a lot easier.

The communication started with clear expectations from both clubs. Listed out the responsibilities and then assigned them.

With date so hard to find for a 400 kid tournament, this worked out great for us. We will make very close to what our tournament would have made and helped Hutch be successful with the amount of new or un-experienced parents.

Will this be the thing of the future, I hope because I thought it went very well.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: To many Tournaments [Re: Teamroper] #184639 02/28/11 04:10 AM
Hkwc Christian Offline
I thought it went great Tracy,Cant wait to do it again.its always good when everyone has a good time instead of a frustrating time.

victory loves preparation
Christian Middleton

Hutchinson,Ks,67501

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Jason Puderbaugh), 113 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)