Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: windjammer] #180976 02/04/11 03:54 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: windjammer
In my humble opinion, closing school has nothing to do with regulating society. Every decision everybody makes anymore has to do with a fear of litigation. If they have school on a questionable day and a kid wrecks on the way to school the parents are likely going to take a shot at the district. I'm a hard core conservative, but the private sectors lust for lawsuits has brought a lot of this fear upon ourselves.

Schools handle this legally by saying that it is always the parents choice if they want to send their kids during bad weather. Therefore, no liability on the schools. We don't pay them boys/girls in the fancy suits for nothing.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: Cokeley] #180977 02/04/11 03:57 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Lets protect all of the dummies and pussifiers so we create more dummies and more pussifiers... When you regulate you end up weakening society as you take the ability to think and adapt out of life's equation.

So . . . we should not regulate drinking and driving and speed limits? Stealing, etc??? If your family was killed by a drunk driver who stole your car at knife point with your family in it and then drove 120 mph and kill them all - I bet you would think differently on regulating . . . I don't like it either. But, some degree of it is necessary. Without it, we get anarchy (sp?).

Its not so black and white. . .

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: Dean Welsh] #180978 02/04/11 04:02 PM
windjammer Offline
If a school bus load of kids is killed, you can tell the parents whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that you will likely be sued. You may win, but you will almost definitely be sued. And it will cost you a lot of time, money and aggrevation to win.

What if your school bus slides into someone else and kills them? Are you immune to a lawsuit from them also?

Again, I'm all in favor of toughening kids up and walking in the snow and life lessons. It's sad that we've gotten away from that. To get back to that, society needs to understand that someone doesn't need to be liable for every accident.

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: Bauerly] #180979 02/04/11 04:04 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
We got up and shovel 4 driveways and sidewalks, so dad could get to work - He worked at a school, also shoveled for 3 neighbors, went back in ate breakfast normally hot cream of wheat and hot chocolate - got our homemade lunches and then walked to school a little over a mile for both elementary, middle school and high school. Never drove - never got stuck and only had 1 day off in 12 years - the one day of was after a snow storm and then temperatures dropped a little to around 25-30 below without the wind chill - wind chills were around 65 to 70 below most of the day - only day I can remember getting off. We also went on a wrestling trip up North (North of our house 3 hours) It was 30 below with wind chills approaching 80 below. The parents would start their vehicles every hour the bus driver kept the bus running most of the time - we all had our winter gear on in the bus plus we were all in sleeping bags on the bus - that trip was a little chilly.

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: windjammer] #180980 02/04/11 04:06 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Society needs to understand that someone doesn't need to be liable for every accident.

That I agree with!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: Chief Renegade] #180982 02/04/11 04:10 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
Society needs to understand that someone doesn't need to be liable for every accident.

That I agree with!

I agree to. But, good luck getting 'them' to understand it. The genie has been let out of the bottle . . .

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: Sudawn Bradley] #181139 02/06/11 04:01 PM
R
Rford Offline
R
I grew up in Iowa...this is still "sweater weather" if you are from Iowa. In Iowa, the snow on the ground in April was there in November. People have "snow tires" and "winter boots" not to mention hats and gloves. Sometimes they even "chain up" their tires. But since we live in the south, we aren't used to that kind of weather. We drive like idiots, we don't replace our tires when they are worn out, we don't scrape our windows, and some of us don't even shovel our walks so our neighbors and mailman can use the sidewalk. We know if we wait a couple days the sun will shine and the roads will be clear.

\My wife works in a school district. You cannot imagine the number of calls they get when the weather is marginally bad but they have school....if the roads are slick or the temperatures frigid the complaining "patrons" don't want to send their kids out in the weather.

I don't think it has a thing to do with the fear of litigation. But when you run bus routes, and you know your buses are having trouble getting around or getting stuck (not to mention tipping over once and while), and that kids might not get picked up on time, you'd be foolish not to take that into account when the wind chill temps are pretty low. Plus, the districts build in "snow days" into the calendar so they take off a couple days and not have to extend the school year.

And, kids love a snow day, and isn't all about the kids?

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: Rford] #181222 02/07/11 11:41 AM
Gary Seibel Offline
I grew up in western Ks. We had snow days. Had so many one year we ended up going to school on a Saturday to make up for it. We made up our snow day but...watched Saturday morning cartoons and played games. That was way back in the mid '70's.

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: Gary Seibel] #181228 02/07/11 12:45 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Green Bay Schools Close Early for Packers' Homecoming
Updated: Feb 06, 2011 11:01 PM CST

Green Bay public schools will let classes out early on Monday district-wide to ease traffic around the stadium and to allow families to greet the Packers when they return from the Super Bowl.
All afternoon classes at Green Bay public schools are canceled, along with afternoon four-year-old kindergarten, early childhood, Head Start, and Chance for Change programs.
Lunch will still be served at elementary schools.
Afterschool activities and sports in the elementary and middle schools are also canceled Monday. Scheduled high school games will go on as planned, but practices will be at each coach's discretion.
Parents may keep their children out of school Monday morning but they must call the school to arrange for an excused family vacation absence.
The school release schedule is as follows:
Release Time Schools
11:00 Franklin Middle School, Lombardi Middle School, Beaumont, Elmore, Fort Howard, Howe, Jackson, Jefferson, Alternative Instruction Program
11:15 Edison Middle School, Washington Middle School, Red Smith, Doty, Wilder
11:30 East High School, Preble High School, Southwest High School, West High School, Aldo Leopold, Eisenhower, Webster, Curry Lane, Early Learning Center 4K
12:00 Baird, Chappell, Danz, Keller, Kennedy, King, Langlade, Lincoln, MacArthur, Martin, McAuliffe, Nicolet, Sullivan, Tank, Wequiock, Early Learning Center 5K
A Super Bowl celebration event is planned at Lambeau Field. Beaumont and Jackson elementary schools near the stadium will release students at 11 A.M. on Tuesday also, and there will be no afternoon four-year-old kindergarten or early childhood classes. Head Start students at Jackson will be bused to Keller Elementary for the afternoon.
Parents are urged to remind children about safe street crossing because of the expected traffic.
Parents who want to excuse their children from school early to attend the Packers victory celebration need to call the school ahead of time to arrange for an excused family vacation absence.

Today Feb 7 Tue 8 Wed 9 Thu 10 Fri 11

Few Snow Showers Mostly Sunny Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Flurries
21°F 9° 7° 9° 21°
High High High High High
0° -2° -3° 4° 16°
Low Low Low Low Low
Chance of Snow:
30% Chance of Precip:
10% Chance of Precip:
10% Chance of Precip:
10% Chance of Snow:
30%
Wind:
NW at 8 mph
W at 18 mph
W at 16 mph
WSW at 11 mph
WSW at 11 mph
Humidity:
62%
58%
57%
68%
70%
UV Index:
1 - Low
2 - Low
2 - Low
2 - Low
2 - Low
Sunrise:
7:04 am
7:02 am
7:01 am
7:00 am
6:58 am
Sunset:
5:09 pm
5:11 pm
5:12 pm
5:14 pm
5:15 pm
Moonrise:
8:33 am
8:56 am
9:22 am
9:52 am
10:28 am
Moonset:
10:06 pm
11:08 pm
--
12:10 am
1:13 am
Moonphase:
Waxing Crescent
Waxing Crescent
Waxing Crescent
Waxing Crescent
First Quarter
Details
Details

Re: SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL [Re: smokeycabin] #181233 02/07/11 02:01 PM
J
jeffroberts Offline
J
The Packers Stadium and practice factility is built in a residential area. They have a very small parking area. When Kids Greco and FreeStyle Nationals was held in Green Bay I would go for a jog in the morning before I got my son up to go wrestle. The houses that are near the field and were for sale had the sale price listed on the fliers and also the amount of money that the home owner would expect to make each year when they allowed cars to park in their yard for home games. I would imagine it would be very difficult to get a bus through those areas today in a timely manner. Beside that we should all be celebrating a PACKER VICTORY.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 132 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)