Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum #181962 02/13/11 08:07 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Report: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum
By NEWS SERVICES

Last update: February 12, 2011 - 9:20 AM

ROCHESTER — An Apple Valley High School wrestler has been charged with two misdemeanors in the alleged assault of a wrestler from Oregon at a meet on Jan. 7, according to a report by the Rochester Post-Bulletin.

Harold Delancy, 19, faces two counts of disorderly conduct after he allegedly struck a 16-year-old wrestler from Oregon in the head with a chair at the Clash wrestling tournament at the University Center Rochester Regional Sports Center.

The Post-Bulletin reported that Delancy, a heavyweight, lost a match, then began throwing and kicking chairs that were arranged next to the mat. The victim was seated next to the mat and allegedly was struck with the legs of a chair that Delancy was holding, suffering a concussion.

Delancy was ejected from the event, which is considered the top prep duals meet in the nation, attracting teams from as far away as Oregon, California and Florida. Apple Valley won the tournament.

As of Friday night, Delancy was still listed on the Apple Valley roster. The Eagles are 18-time state champions and have won the past five Class 3A titles.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: RichardDSalyer] #181972 02/13/11 10:13 PM
WillyM Offline
If this kid has been kicked off his HS team, sign him up for the Ark City Old Timers!!!!

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/13/11 10:15 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: RichardDSalyer] #181980 02/13/11 10:46 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Report: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum
By NEWS SERVICES

Last update: February 12, 2011 - 9:20 AM

ROCHESTER — An Apple Valley High School wrestler has been charged with two misdemeanors in the alleged assault of a wrestler from Oregon at a meet on Jan. 7, according to a report by the Rochester Post-Bulletin.

Harold Delancy, 19, faces two counts of disorderly conduct after he allegedly struck a 16-year-old wrestler from Oregon in the head with a chair at the Clash wrestling tournament at the University Center Rochester Regional Sports Center.

The Post-Bulletin reported that Delancy, a heavyweight, lost a match, then began throwing and kicking chairs that were arranged next to the mat. The victim was seated next to the mat and allegedly was struck with the legs of a chair that Delancy was holding, suffering a concussion.

Delancy was ejected from the event, which is considered the top prep duals meet in the nation, attracting teams from as far away as Oregon, California and Florida. Apple Valley won the tournament.

As of Friday night, Delancy was still listed on the Apple Valley roster. The Eagles are 18-time state champions and have won the past five Class 3A titles.

So should schools seek damages if say a kid goes bezerk following a loss and breaks a paper towel dispenser in a bathroom, or a soda machine? If you could prosecute for actions on another individual, isn't it still criminal to damage property that isn't yours?

Enlighten Me!
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: Enetophobic] #181987 02/13/11 11:22 PM
wrestlingAlum Offline
My in-laws live in Appley Valley, and are coming down to visit this week. I will try to find out some more info.

Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: WillyM] #181990 02/13/11 11:31 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Contrarian
If this kid has been kicked off his HS team, sign him up for the Ark City Old Timers!!!!

Now that there is funny...I don't care who you are.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: Beeson] #181997 02/14/11 01:04 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: Contrarian

Now that there is funny...I don't care who you are.

i don't think that at 309 lucas is afraid of any chairs, i don't care who throws them.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: HEADUP] #182011 02/14/11 02:34 AM
H
Holliday Hays Offline
H
As if we don't have to answer enough WWE crap, this happens! Sheesh....

Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: Holliday Hays] #182035 02/14/11 01:03 PM
J. Dale Offline
What's next? Background checks for wrestlers? As long as we don't make officials do background checks we should be ok right?

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: J. Dale] #182064 02/14/11 04:55 PM
hit it hard! Offline
-“So should schools seek damages if say a kid goes bezerk following a loss and breaks a paper towel dispenser in a bathroom, or a soda machine? If you could prosecute for actions on another individual, isn't it still criminal to damage property that isn't yours?”

Abso-friggin-lutley they should!!!! Go slam your ipod or phone on the concrete if you feel you need to wreck property!

I was at a tourney this weekend and was embarrassed for my sport at the number of kids that stormed out of the gym. Back in the day the sport taught poise, self control and sportsmanship. I would have never made it past my coach to throw a tantrum believe me, I tried one time. Like my parents, my coach corrected my attitude problem on the spot! And please spare me the "warrior, heat of battle” crap.

Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: hit it hard!] #182072 02/14/11 05:17 PM
Q
Quagmire Offline
Q
I agree with your points about sportsmanship and self control, and none of this should have happened especially if your on a team that competitive. The last thing you wanna do is give your team a bad name, but if you want to throw a fit then have at it... in private. There's nothing wrong with running off the mat grabbing your gear and going to some place where no one can see you get pissed. College kids do it all the time. They shake their opponents hand and get off the mat as fast as possible, win or lose. Coaches should teach their sportsmanship, self control, respect and all that good stuff, but they shouldn't tell them they can't get mad if they lose. They can teach them what to do so that they don't hurt anyone, themselves, or their teams reputation. Just find a quiet spot where no one can hear you or see you.

Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: Quagmire] #182166 02/15/11 12:22 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Here is a story from a Kansas high school tournament earlier this year (as told to me by a wrestler who witnessed it).

A wrestler is getting frustrated during a match and head butts his opponent which cost him a point. After the match, the wrestler's coach is telling him that he wrestled a good match and not to worry about the loss. At that point the wrestler drops an f bomb university on his coach.

A short while later the wrestler (witness) was in checking his weight and the same wrestler comes into the room and is still very upset. He punches himself in the face and another wrestler in the room says "Dude, did you just punch yourself in the face? That was awesome."

The wrestler that told me the story said that he thought the other wrestler had some anger management problems. Here are my observations from this event:

1) Head butting your opponent when things are going your way is unacceptable (BAD).

2) Dropping the f bomb university on your coach should get you a one way ticket to the basketball floor (BAD).

3) Beating yourself up instead of your opponent after a loss is not against the rules (GOOD).

Lee Girard
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: ReDPloyd] #182519 02/16/11 06:49 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: ReDPloyd
Here is a story from a Kansas high school tournament earlier this year (as told to me by a wrestler who witnessed it).

A wrestler is getting frustrated during a match and head butts his opponent which cost him a point. After the match, the wrestler's coach is telling him that he wrestled a good match and not to worry about the loss. At that point the wrestler drops an f bomb university on his coach.

A short while later the wrestler (witness) was in checking his weight and the same wrestler comes into the room and is still very upset. He punches himself in the face and another wrestler in the room says "Dude, did you just punch yourself in the face? That was awesome."

The wrestler that told me the story said that he thought the other wrestler had some anger management problems. Here are my observations from this event:

1) Head butting your opponent when things are going your way is unacceptable (BAD).

2) Dropping the f bomb university on your coach should get you a one way ticket to the basketball floor (BAD).

3) Beating yourself up instead of your opponent after a loss is not against the rules (GOOD).

Probably a good reason I wasn't very competitive, My old man once said I had the coordination of a donkey on roller skates. So I am sure he would make a remark that I couldn't even win against myself or something to that nature.

Enlighten Me!
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: Enetophobic] #182534 02/16/11 07:36 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
The first thing that came to my mind when I read the article was, "what the heck is someone who is 19 still doing in high school". That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Of course then I thought, "no don't say that because someone that reads the forum will have a kid in that situation or a friend that does and they will be offended".
Oops, too late. smile

Last edited by XGHSWC; 02/16/11 07:43 PM.
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: XGHSWC] #182535 02/16/11 07:39 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: XGHSWC
The first thing that came to my mind when I read the article was, "what the heck is someone who is 19 still doing in high school". That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Of course then I thought, "no don't say that because someone that reads the forum will have a kid in that situation or a friend that does".
Oops, too late. smile

Some times you just end up with older kids for several reasons:

1. Held back due to maturity factors when a kid

2. Odd birtdate

3. Plain Stupid

4. Redshirted by moving to New Mexico

Enlighten Me!
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: Enetophobic] #182539 02/16/11 07:54 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Yes I know, that is why I thought about not saying anything.
But that is honestly the first thing I saw when I saw the article. It just seemed to stand out.
I can see the odd birthday thing like a summer baby that would be 18 when they started but wouldn't be 19 until after they graduated but to be 19 during wrestling season? One thing for sure is the kid would have an extra year or two of maturity over 17 and 18 year olds. Oops, that's obviously wrong in this case. Well, at least physically, I would think he would have an advantage there. But I do know that happens in college alot especially with "kids" that do military first and then go back to college or pro ball or something and then go. But they are all still kind of "adults". There is a big difference between 19 and say 17 and this guy was wrestling 16 and 15 year olds.
Oh well no big deal, like I said, that "19" just really stuck out. smile
Now I know I should not have said anything because I just got the NM thing, open mouth insert foot.

Last edited by XGHSWC; 02/16/11 07:58 PM.
Re: Apple Valley wrestler charged after tantrum [Re: XGHSWC] #182546 02/16/11 08:36 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
perhaps someone should have prayed before the event?

The older I get the better I was!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)