Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
donna woofter mom of the year question #181969 02/13/11 09:43 PM
J
johnlesnar365 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
not to take anything away from these moms but, in 2009 it was paula broadbent mill valley, 2010 it was sharon henes sta, 2011 it was kim huck olathe e. now all these are eastern clubs not to far from one another. i could only find the last 3 years. my question is is it only eastern club moms cause i do not see any centeral, western, or northern club moms on there.

it is a great award for these ladies and i am not taking anything away from them like i said but 3 years in a row eastern moms only?

Last edited by johnlesnar365; 02/13/11 09:43 PM.
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: johnlesnar365] #181974 02/13/11 10:19 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
it's an eastern kansas tournament so i would say that only eastern ks moms were nominated.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: HEADUP] #181977 02/13/11 10:34 PM
J
johnlesnar365 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
i understand it is an eastern tournament but why waste others peoples time in western , northern and centeral kansas time maybe they need to say only eastern moms only.

if my math is right doona woofter tournament is in lenexa, sta is in lenexa, mill valley is only 5.6 miles away and olathe e. is only 8 miles away. now i could be wrong on these figures but all 3 winners were within 10 minutes from each other.

now don't get me wrong it is a great award honoring a great lady. but if they are only going to chose eastern moms then they need to state that.

congrats to kim huck this years winner and to the past winners. keep up the good work.

Last edited by johnlesnar365; 02/13/11 10:38 PM.
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: johnlesnar365] #181981 02/13/11 10:50 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
John,

I think your point is made. Let's not turn a positive into a negative.

Thank you to Kim Huck this years winner and to the past winners. Keep up the great work to all of the dedicated mothers to their children as well as other kids.

Sean

Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: smokeycabin] #181985 02/13/11 11:00 PM
J
johnlesnar365 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
sean

i have been reading these forums for years and have never posted until now. it was not my intent to be negative and for that i am sorry.

it is a great honor for these ladies and will always be.

Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: johnlesnar365] #181986 02/13/11 11:11 PM
Z
ZMcD Offline
Z
Congrats to Kim Huck!!! and thanks to all the moms out there who sacrifice so much to have there children compete on the mat!!

Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: ZMcD] #181996 02/14/11 12:26 AM
nix Offline
congrats to kim huck. i would have to agree with smokeycabin lets not turn a postive into a negative as for johns post i think you make a valid point. somthing does not sound right but hey that just my opinion. keep up the good work ladies.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: nix] #181998 02/14/11 01:09 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
john, sorry but this is not a state sponsored award. it is sponsored by the woofter family, who in honor of their mother and wife, chose who they want from the nominees, given. i will appologize for all who are bent out of shape over this. because in no way do i feel the family or director's of this event need to respond. i don't feel that anyone meant to "waste your time". honestly you can start your own award if you like.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: HEADUP] #182000 02/14/11 01:26 AM
J
johnlesnar365 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
do they or do they not ask clubs to submit entries of the best mom the can nominate. i believe they do. now i would bet the judges know all three of these mothers awarded this honor. so why not ask only clubs in that tight circle to nominate.

so headup you think it is ok to ask for entries but only pick the ones from that area. sure glad your not on the lottery board because only family and friends would hit that jackpot.

but hey it's all good now all the clubs kinda know how things are done with this award as in don't waste your time if your not within 30 miles from lenexa.

and i am sure headup your from eastern kansas.

Last edited by johnlesnar365; 02/14/11 01:35 AM.
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: johnlesnar365] #182001 02/14/11 01:28 AM
J
johnlesnar365 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
and i know it's not a state award but you would hope the judging would be fair and honest. and the women that won sound like great people and probaly should have won. i am just saying the judgeing sure is funny all within a few miles.

Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: johnlesnar365] #182669 02/17/11 05:13 AM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline
J
JL365,

I have waited to respond publicly in hopes that you would come back and amend your comments above, or apologize to all 3 of the women who won this award, but you are choosing not to. You also criticize the host club and Woofter Family that makes the decision(or judges the nominations) to give the award.

Just curious how many years your nomination has been volunteering their entire weekend helping local tournaments in the area that this award is being generated from?

Doesn't it stand to reason that much of the work that these past 3 ladies have done, is being seen by the club hosting this tourney, and family that is making this award presentation.

Isn't it entirely possible that much of the work that these 3 ladies(who have won this award)have done, would get strong consideration simply because the host club and Woofter Family has been witness to it first hand.

I know for a fact one woman who won this award was completely surprised, as our Head Coach Damon Parker wrote the nomination letter.

Not that I need to explain it to you, or that it would even matter to you, but this womans child who competed in the sport of wrestling, began his career as a 1st grader in 1994. This woman continues to help with area tournaments, despite not having a kid competing since his 2006 graduation from Mill Valley High School. Along with her, one of (if not both) of my daughters( and yes, they were both wrestling managers for the HS prior to their graduations in 2007 and 2010 respectively), and younger son(currently a 5th Grader, who chose basketball as opposed to the choice of his older brother)can be seen helping at several of the tournaments listed below.

And for the record, Paula volunteers at various tournaments which include many local kids club tourneys, HS Duals, HS League, HS Regionals, Kids Subs, Kids Districts. She has also volunteered at Kansas Kids State every year since 1994, (with the exception of 2006 when we were able to go to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and watch our oldest son compete at HS Nationals).

Lose the ... What about ME!! ... attitude!

Do the work, put in the time and other people notice.

Really curious who you are, and just how long you have been around the sport??
It is obvious you havent learned many of the lessons that the sport of wrestling teaches you.

To Jeff Nix - Funny how you did just that... Turned a Positive into a Negative in your backhanded comment.

Both JL365 and JN owe the Woofter Family a sincere and public apology!

Respectfully,

Jeff Broadbent - Former MVWC Director

ps - I have said my peace, so now I can go back into retirement

Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #182675 02/17/11 09:00 AM
nix Offline
WHAT?

I feel i did not show no disrespect by my statement witch was my opinion not a fact. I am one of the most respectful people that you would ever meet.

Now you don't aggree with my opinion and this is fine but do not try and turn my opinion into me disrespecting the woofter family because in no shape or form did i do that.

The great thing about america is we can aggree to disaggree and this is going to have to be one of those times.

if the woofter family reads this i hope you did not take my opinion as disrespect because none was meant. it is great you honor donna by giving out this award.

respectfully
jeff nix

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: nix] #183049 02/19/11 12:03 AM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
Here's a way we can keep this positive and learn a little bit more about our wrestling community:

Everyone who was nominated was obviously deserving of an award or we wouldn't have nominated them. Why don't we post the letters of nomination? That way we can all learn a little more about the ladies who make this sport possible for all of us, and everyone can get some positive recognition!

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: DamonParker] #183050 02/19/11 12:06 AM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
Here's Paula's nomination!

Paula Broadbent, mother of four, has been actively involved in wrestling for the past 15 years. When not working at her family-owned business (Performance Glass), she is volunteering her time for numerous extra-curricular activities. Paula has been the lynchpin for the Mill Valley Wrestling Club since its inception in 2000, and she continues to find time to volunteer her services for the advancement of the sport of wrestling. Her selfless and altruistic approach to our sport and our children make her more than deserving of the title “Mother of the Year.”

Paula became involved in wrestling when her son Justin was in first grade. She began volunteering her time when Justin was wrestling for Dean Sheets in DeSoto. She then moved on to helping Kevin Klemm and the East Kansas Wrestling Club. In the year 2000 she and her husband Jeff Broadbent founded the Mill Valley Wrestling Club in Shawnee, Kansas. In the 8 short years since the MVWC was established, the club has grown from 50 to 112 wrestlers.

All of Paula’s four children have been extensively involved in wrestling. Justin placed at Kansas Kids State numerous times, with his highest place being 3rd. He was also a 2-time high school state finalist, earning a trip to senior nationals in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. One daughter, Julie, wrestled for 4 years and was a match away from qualifying for Kids State in her final season. Her other Daughter, Jamie, has been a wrestling manager at Mill Valley High School for two years. Her youngest son, Jake, wrestled for two years before taking up basketball. Paula and all four children can be seen on the weekends volunteering their time at many different tournaments around the Metro area.

Paula is in charge of all administrative work for the Mill Valley Wrestling Club. All paperwork, tournament entries, budgeting, and fees are handled by Paula. She is also in charge of singlet and apparel checkout and orders, and is very much in charge of orchestrating all of the volunteers at the Mill Valley Invitational Tournament. Paula truly is the wizard behind the curtain: without her the Mill Valley Wrestling Club would not be where it is today.

If you are looking for Paula, she’s not hard to find. Every year she is working the tables at the sub-district, district, and Kids State tournaments. Paula’s work is not confined to the sport of wrestling, however. She doesn’t take off her “mom of the year” hat when wrestling season is complete. Paula is also asked to be the team mother during both football and baseball season as well.

Without Paula’s help, the Mill Valley Wrestling Club would not be what it has become. Every year Paula finds ways to motivate her family, which not only includes her husband and four children, but all 112 wrestlers and their families associated with our program. Because of her selfless attitude and her dedication to the sport of wrestling, we believe that Paula Broadbent is most deserving of the “Mother of the Year” honor.

Damon Parker
Head Coach, Mill Valley Wrestling Club

Last edited by DamonParker; 02/19/11 12:06 AM.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: DamonParker] #183052 02/19/11 12:18 AM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
I think the deadline has slightly passed. Perhaps a renomination in 345 days will suffice.

Re: donna woofter mom of the year question [Re: Takedown Machine] #183056 02/19/11 12:44 AM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
This was Paula's letter from 3 years ago. This was not an attempt at a write-in. smile

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 102 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)