Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Iowa boy says No Thanks! #182784 02/17/11 07:09 PM
T
Teamroper Offline OP
OP Offline
T

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Teamroper] #182816 02/17/11 10:08 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/Hig...1711/?GT1=39002

Updated Feb 17, 2011 5:45 PM ET

DES MOINES, IOWA (AP)
A standout Iowa high school wrestler refused to compete against a girl at the state tournament on Thursday, relinquishing any chance of becoming a champion because he says wrestling a girl would conflict with his religious beliefs.
Looking for more sports scoop? You can count on Brooks to dish it up.
Joel Northrup, a home-schooled sophomore who was 35-4 wrestling for Linn-Mar High School this season, praised his first-round opponent, Cedar Falls freshman Cassy Herkelman, and Ottumwa sophomore Megan Black, who became the first two girls to make the state wrestling tournament in its 85-year history.
But in a brief statement issued through his school, Northrup said he defaulted on his match with Herkelman because he doesn't think boys and girls should compete in the sport.
"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," said Northrup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."
There were several thousand fans at Wells Fargo Arena on Thursday, but many were watching other matches when the referee raised Herkelman's hand to signal her win. There was a smattering of cheers and boos from the crowd before Herkelman was whisked into the bowels of the arena.
Tournament organizers declined to make Herkelman available for questions. She entered the tournament with a 20-13 record and will wrestle Friday in the quarterfinals of the 112-pound weight class.
Her father, Bill Herkelman, told The Associated Press via text message that he understands and respects Northrup's decision.
"It's nice to get the first win and have her be on the way to the medal round," Bill Herkelman wrote. "I sincerely respect the decision of the Northrup family especially since it was made on the biggest stage in wrestling. I have heard nothing but good things about the Northrup family and hope Joel does very well the remainder of the tourney."
Because he defaulted and didn't forfeit, Northrup was allowed to compete in the consolation rounds, and he won his first match later Thursday by major decision.
He was spared any chance of meeting up with Black, who also wrestles at 112 pounds and was 25-13 entering the tournament, when she was eliminated after being pinned in both of her matches. But it's possible Northrup and Herkelman could be matched again if both make the finals of the consolation bracket.
Northrup's father, Jamie Northrup, is a minister in the Believers in Grace Fellowship, an independent Pentecostal church in Marion that believes young men and women shouldn't touch in a "familiar way," said Bill Randles, the church's pastor.
"We believe in the elevation and respect of woman and we don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. Body slamming and takedowns, that full contact sport is not how to do that."
Randles said Joel has been involved in wrestling for many years, and he and his family have discussed before the possibility of girls getting involved in the sport.
"It's totally his choice. He's a young man now and he's worked hard to get where he's gotten. It's up to him, and it was his conviction" not to wrestle Herkelman.
FOX SPORTS POLL

• Should a guy wrestle a girl?
o Yes
o No
Black said Northrup refused to wrestle her three years ago, and that she respects him for adhering to his beliefs.
"If it's his religion and he's strong in his religion, then I just respect that," Black said. "Obviously, everyone can be pointing fingers at him. He, at least, is true to his beliefs and you have to respect that. It takes a lot for a 15- or 16-year-old boy to do."
Marth Stetzel, a Perry mother whose two sons were taking part in the tournament, said she also didn't have a problem with Northrup's decision.
"We're really raising kids that are going to be bigger than wrestling, and if it's something that he believes strongly in - which is not necessarily what I would do - you've got to respect a kid like that," Stetzel said.
Wrestling is extremely popular in Iowa, and Black and Herkelman are the first girls to qualify for the state tournament since it was first sanctioned by the Iowa High School Athletic Association in 1926.
According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, more than 6,000 girls competed in wrestling in 2009-10 - compared with nearly 275,000 boys. Though most states require girls to wrestle boys, California, Hawaii, Texas, Washington and Tennessee sponsor girls-only high school wrestling tournaments.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Teamroper] #182848 02/18/11 01:20 AM
S
sugar80 Offline
S
I agree, girls should not wrestle past the sixth grade unless it is against another girl. The stigma related to a junior high or high school boy getting beat by a girl is not fair. Also seeing a girl getting thrown down to the mat hard by a young man is not a favorable thing. Are they going to allow high school boys to play girls volleyball? Plenty of other sports out there for girls to compete in. There is a difference between girl and boy and that fact seems to be getting lost in our current culture.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: sugar80] #182855 02/18/11 01:57 AM
D
doinasipleaz Offline
D
Im with sugar. The boy is in a "no win situation". Dominate the girl....you are a bully. Get beat by the girl you are a _____.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: doinasipleaz] #182877 02/18/11 03:23 AM
T
Teamroper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Not me, she/he steps on the mat they are just someone else to beat. If she want to try it out bring it.

Although it makes it uncomfortable for the guy I have a story about this same type of thing, it was to funny.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Teamroper] #182891 02/18/11 11:06 AM
nix Offline
yea right tracy, you would be so scared you would pull her aside and challenge her to a game of horseshoes. oops i forgot that my be to violent you would challenge her to a game of online wii bowling. and i am sure headup would be there to ref so things don't get out of hand online.

ps. jeffrey does have to wrestle a girl from leoti on saturday, shayden geyer from leoti she is a tuff litlle one.

Last edited by nix; 02/18/11 11:07 AM.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: sugar80] #182893 02/18/11 11:44 AM
P
pg2345 Offline
P
I think he should hav put his religious beliefs aside n wrestled. N the only time a boy should touch a girl is the mat n thats because she chooses to wrestle!

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: pg2345] #182899 02/18/11 12:43 PM
D
Dad of 6 Offline
D
We wonder why we have so many problems today. It is because everyone is putting their "religious beliefs aside", and doing whatever. Either you believe and follow what you are taught is right according to your beliefs. Or you don't. Religion is not a face we put on for Sunday services it the core of who we are and how we behave. This young man has a belief system and follows it. Good for him. I'm not saying his choice is the same as what mine would be but at least he is making a stand for what he believe is right and not just when it is convenient but when it make a big difference in his life.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Dad of 6] #182910 02/18/11 01:13 PM
P
pg2345 Offline
P
Well guess we all hav our personal opinion. But where in the bible does it say not to touch a female? That is not a religious belief its more of a personal n if this is everyones belief n u stick to it 100% then no boy should touch a girl at any GIVEN TIME grin

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: pg2345] #182999 02/18/11 07:33 PM
DingusKahn Offline
Why does it have to be a "religious" belief? Can't the boy just make his decision based on the fact that as a young man he doesn't feel right participating in a contact sport against a girl? I applaud the young man for standing up for what he believes. It is young men like him that will make fine grown men someday.

The young lady made her own choice to wrestle as well. Sobeit. Good luck to her in the tournament.

It is a wrestling tournament folks. We are not talking about war or a life/death situation.

Both young people here seem to have a good head on their shoulders and should be commended for sticking with their personal morals and values.

I think it gives adults a sense of pride and hope that our young people are growing up to be wonderful adults.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking!!

Chris Walters
Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: pg2345] #183011 02/18/11 08:15 PM
roughly Offline
Originally Posted By: patsyg2345
Well guess we all hav our personal opinion. But where in the bible does it say not to touch a female? That is not a religious belief its more of a personal n if this is everyones belief n u stick to it 100% then no boy should touch a girl at any GIVEN TIME grin

Just wait until the "peace-loving" mooozelams get Sharia Law instituted into this once free country...

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: roughly] #183018 02/18/11 08:49 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: rough
mooozelams
It took me a brief moment to understand, but thanks for the humor!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Teamroper] #183051 02/19/11 12:16 AM
S
Shamy1966@aol.com Offline
S
I am surprised that people are so surprised by this. I started out in kids club back in the early 70's and girls were wrestling then. While some of you have been sleeping through your wrestling world, have you noticed that Krista Revelle has become one of the best wrestlers Kansas has ever produced?+

I take my hat off to the young man from Iowa. I am sure it was a tough decision to make, but it was his decision. It's not for us to judge, but honor. His decision is no different than her decision to wrestle.

I am sure she went into this knowing there was a chance that she could be slammed or feast on victory. Wrestling is about control of your emotion, control of your temper, and control of your ego, no matter the gender of the opponent. I am sure she has the respect of her teammates as well as her opponents. She's a great wrestler, no matter the gender.

Get ready - there are more and more girls coming. Trust me you will have to beat them because they are not forfeiting...and they're good. Girls know what they're getting themselves into.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Shamy1966@aol.com] #183063 02/19/11 01:45 AM
S
S
Just in case you think girls can not compete take a look at this girls accomplishment.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100218/NEWS01/702189882

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Shamy1966@aol.com] #183114 02/19/11 04:29 AM
S
sugar80 Offline
S
Why not allow High School Boys to compete in girls volleyball? Nobody seemed to answer that question.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: sugar80] #183344 02/20/11 03:12 AM
S
S
If some boys would like to they could. The presidant was already set in other states.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Shamy1966@aol.com] #183451 02/20/11 09:35 PM
S
swpea Offline
S
I'll put in my two cents, wrestling is a great sport for everybody because it levels the playing field. Age, Weight and experience sets up who you are wrestling against. The only one that does. Volleyball, Football, Baseball and just about everyother sport is Varsity or JV regardless or size or age. Just my opion!

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: sugar80] #185105 03/02/11 03:29 PM
L
lovinit Offline
L
I seen a boy in High school volleyball this year. They allowed him to play. He was their best player.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: Shamy1966@aol.com] #185110 03/02/11 03:38 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I agree that the guys better prepare for battle because many of these girls in wrestling are very tough. Great to hear you stand up for women's wrestling. It is a fast growing sport. I have 2 nieces competing now one is 8yrs old and the other is 4yrs old. The 8 yr old has had very good success in the 2 years she has been wrestling.

Re: Iowa boy says No Thanks! [Re: L.Geyer] #185154 03/02/11 07:04 PM
A. Steele Offline
I had this talk with one of my 10&U boys this year. There is no male or female on the mat. Just two wrestlers doing battle. Take it to her like you would any other wrestler. If you give her the chance she will kick your butt just like any other wrestler.

I do give the wrestler from Iowa a big hand for sticking to his values and his beliefs, too many people today don't.

Andrew Steele
ford69f100@yahoo.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 157 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)