Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Enetophobic] #183986 02/23/11 09:26 PM
Ricky Bobby Offline
Two words to solve your seating, parking, hotel, resurant, and facility issues.

Kansas Speedway

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Ricky Bobby] #183992 02/23/11 10:05 PM
WillyM Offline
Put a top over all the the Wizards new soccer stadium in KC,KS and hold all the state wrestling tournaments at one site. Seats 18,000 and the playing surface is probably 150 by 85 Yards. Can probably put down at lleast 12 if not 16 mats.

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/23/11 10:07 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Purple_Freak] #183993 02/23/11 10:29 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Purple_Freak
Currently I think that place is Intrust in Wichita. There would be plenty of seating and contrary to some thoughts out there parking is not an issue. Some people just need to quit being lazy and be willing to walk a block or so.

Has any event of this size been held in Intrust to date? The short answer is NO. Has any event of this size been held in Intrust during working weekday hours? The short answer is NO. Are people on this board willing to pay upwards of $20.00 or more for parking within 5-7 blocks? I doubt it, particularly given a winter event. The facts are, there are parking problems with Intrust, and this comes from someone who supported and still supports the concept of Intrust. The parking within "two blocks" myth is one circulated after the arena was built and the county decided not to supply an addequate amount of parking. Their own consultants told them there wasn't enough parking near the arena. The hope is that if people are required to walk some distance it will create business oportunities for bars and restaraunts that those people have to walk by and frequent. To date, that hasn't proven to be the case. The over-whelming majority of the parking is well beyond that distance.
None of this matters because neither party (Intrust or KSHSAA), has any desire to deal with the other in the near future.

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Shane Koranda] #183996 02/23/11 10:54 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Shane Koranda
Isn't this argued every stinkin' year?

Cokeley:

Just how many face-to-face meetings has one had with Bowden on such proposals, that he's refused to take to the KSHSAA Board, to give you the ability to slander him on here by calling him "lazy"? Lazy is a harsh word to call someone, when they are subject to needing to take such a proposals to a BOARD and they ultimately make that call!

Bowden & I butted heads on several things, but I'd be very careful with throwing a term on "lazy" around or labeling him as such. Are there things that need to be improved on, sure - but to call him "lazy"???

Can't wait to see you as the Asst. Exec. and see how you react to all the comments that'll be fired at you, as you so easily fire at him!!!

It's just tiring...

It is not SLANDER if it is true. For goodness sake, I couldn't even get him to type t r a c k w r e s t l i n g . c o m into his computer and check it out. I have emailed him, called him, talked to him face-to-face but since I am not an AD or Administrator he doesn't really care what I have to say.

I put in my resume and cover letter. One thing I have going for me, I have never directed a wrestling tournament that lost money! smile

Read below and YOU decide how great of a job he has done.

Mr Cokeley

Responses inserted into original email text to insure I did not miss any of your questions.

Rick Bowden

From: William Cokeley [mailto:WCokeley@Silgancontainers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:29 PM
To: Rick Bowden
Subject: RE: KSHSAA Wrestling Officials

Rick,

What could you possibly say other than “You are right on nearly every point Mr. Cokeley.”? Show me the data! Have you looked at trackwrestling.com?? NO

Have you tried to develop an officials evaluation system? The current selection and assignment process used to make post-season assignments is the one as staff we are to use

Have you put together a proposal for a single site state tournament for all classes? No

Have you evaluated the aging officials pool and cited a potential risk of running out of experienced officials? Each of our staff is aware of the variety of issues relevant to the pool of officials in each sport including age, geographical distributions, etc.

Have you fought the 6th match in one day proposal? The proposal was presented to the KSHSAA Executive Board. At the time I explained the concerns shared to me and explained the NFHS rules. Also appearing before the board expressing support for a proposal to modify the NFHS rule was a KSHSAA member school administrator.

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:22 PM
To: William Cokeley

Mr. Cokeley

Your thoughts and opinion as to the manner in which I carry out my duties are noted. I will not respond to personal attacks nor reciprocate in kind.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Rick,

I am not asking you if you use the information to make assignments. I am asking you if you have it and I could either see it or you could put it into a graph that would show the distribution of your officials. I think we need to use the data to identify a problem and justify making some changes. I think you need to factor in succession when making post season assignments. There is very little change and no focus on developing officials for the future. If 10 officials decide to quit this year that might mean you would have to hire 10 officials who have NEVER been to a State Tournament. You are so stuck on NOT CHANGING that you won’t even consider that there are BETTER ways to do things. It is just like the fact that we are one of a very few states that split our tournaments over multiple sites. You know that one site over three days would make a huge financial impact but you just hide behind “Everyone likes it the way it is” instead of doing some research and presenting some proposals that would promote wrestling and give the kids a greater experience and opportunity to be seen by college coaches. You appear to NOT CARE. Instead of creating ideas you fight those who do. Just like trackwrestling.com. Have you ever looked at it? It puts the Preferred Education Software to shame! Why won’t you even consider it? I get frustrated because you, in my opinion, don’t take your job as seriously as I would. You do not promote or try to improve Kansas High School Sports. You are only interested in regulating them.

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:00 PM

Mr. Cokeley

Yes we have information on officials as to their date of birth and years of experience BUT it has never been a directive that we factor age in as one of the items that is included in making post-season assignments.

While I earnestly do try to respond to your emails professionally and not in a manner which would demean the question or concern, if I believe I’ve responded to your question I reserve the right to not again respond to the same question/concern.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:50 PM

Rick,

I KNOW that you have the years of experience or years registered, years working a regional, years working a state tournament data available. If you do not bring in a normal amount on the left side you will run out of experienced officials. It is simple statistics. You cannot just continue to look at THIS YEAR. You need to plan for the future. Your process is not good and it is heavily laced with politics and good ole boy network instead of getting the BEST officials available. I know and you must admit, you are having trouble getting enough officials to do the regional tournaments. Yet, you are doing nothing to develop quality officials and make sure that you have an adequate number. Einstein’s definition of insanity “Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:40 PM

Mr. Cokeley

To respond to your question in total – no I do not (nor does any of the KSHSAA staff in making assignments of officials to any KSHSAA post-season events) “evaluate” the age of officials being assigned to post-season events. There is no “normal distribution” relevant to age of officials that we are charged with including as one of the factors in making any of the post-season assignments.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:13 PM

Rick,

I never inferred that age was a factor in determining who was selected. I was asking if you had evaluated the age of your officials, as I know you have this information available, to see if you had a data trend that shows we are having a problem. If you do not have a normal distribution then your process is not working. If the population is skewed to the right then you are going to run out of officials with decent experience. Another way to look at would be to put a chart together with years of experience to see if you are bringing in new officials so you don’t paint yourself into a corner. This should be a basic, fundamental requirement of your job. It is called succession planning. I won’t charge you for my consulting. 

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:37 AM

Mr. Cokeley

The age of officials assigned to KSHSAA tournaments is not factored into the assignments.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:28 AM
Subject: KSHSAA Wrestling Officials

Rick,

Do you have the distribution data for the age of officials used at last year’s state tournaments? I am just curious if we have a normal distribution spread from 20-60 or if we have a skewed curve heavily weighted to the right, towards 60.

We are having trouble getting enough officials to do our youth tournaments now. This is starting to impact the numbers for KSHSAA Regional tournaments. My theory is that we are losing a great number of officials because they give up after a few years of being turned down for a HS State tournament when they know their skills and abilities are at a distinct advantage over some of the elder statesmen who get selected year-in and year-out. A good example, Mike Ford from Prairie View was retired for a number of years. His son graduated and he put his stripes back on and was immediately assigned the 4A state tournament in his first year back. His skills had severely eroded and his attitude has become nearly hostile. While Denny Hensley, head official for the Kids State and a veteran of over 10 Tulsa Nationals, was passed over for I believe the fifth time. He is a far better official than 50% of those who were assigned KSHSAA State Tournaments. The process is broken.

Will Cokeley

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Purple_Freak] #183999 02/23/11 11:39 PM
W
Warriordad Offline
W
Anybody remember the Little Apple Classic in Ahearn arena? That is the most mats I've ever seen in one place. Not too sure about seating, though.

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Cokeley] #184002 02/24/11 12:21 AM
Shane Koranda Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: Shane Koranda
Isn't this argued every stinkin' year?

Cokeley:

Just how many face-to-face meetings has one had with Bowden on such proposals, that he's refused to take to the KSHSAA Board, to give you the ability to slander him on here by calling him "lazy"? Lazy is a harsh word to call someone, when they are subject to needing to take such a proposals to a BOARD and they ultimately make that call!

Bowden & I butted heads on several things, but I'd be very careful with throwing a term on "lazy" around or labeling him as such. Are there things that need to be improved on, sure - but to call him "lazy"???

Can't wait to see you as the Asst. Exec. and see how you react to all the comments that'll be fired at you, as you so easily fire at him!!!

It's just tiring...

It is not SLANDER if it is true. For goodness sake, I couldn't even get him to type t r a c k w r e s t l i n g . c o m into his computer and check it out. I have emailed him, called him, talked to him face-to-face but since I am not an AD or Administrator he doesn't really care what I have to say.

I put in my resume and cover letter. One thing I have going for me, I have never directed a wrestling tournament that lost money! smile

Read below and YOU decide how great of a job he has done.

Mr Cokeley

Responses inserted into original email text to insure I did not miss any of your questions.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:29 PM

Rick,

What could you possibly say other than “You are right on nearly every point Mr. Cokeley.”? Show me the data! Have you looked at trackwrestling.com?? NO

Have you tried to develop an officials evaluation system? The current selection and assignment process used to make post-season assignments is the one as staff we are to use

Have you put together a proposal for a single site state tournament for all classes? No

Have you evaluated the aging officials pool and cited a potential risk of running out of experienced officials? Each of our staff is aware of the variety of issues relevant to the pool of officials in each sport including age, geographical distributions, etc.

Have you fought the 6th match in one day proposal? The proposal was presented to the KSHSAA Executive Board. At the time I explained the concerns shared to me and explained the NFHS rules. Also appearing before the board expressing support for a proposal to modify the NFHS rule was a KSHSAA member school administrator.

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:22 PM

Mr. Cokeley

Your thoughts and opinion as to the manner in which I carry out my duties are noted. I will not respond to personal attacks nor reciprocate in kind.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Rick,

I am not asking you if you use the information to make assignments. I am asking you if you have it and I could either see it or you could put it into a graph that would show the distribution of your officials. I think we need to use the data to identify a problem and justify making some changes. I think you need to factor in succession when making post season assignments. There is very little change and no focus on developing officials for the future. If 10 officials decide to quit this year that might mean you would have to hire 10 officials who have NEVER been to a State Tournament. You are so stuck on NOT CHANGING that you won’t even consider that there are BETTER ways to do things. It is just like the fact that we are one of a very few states that split our tournaments over multiple sites. You know that one site over three days would make a huge financial impact but you just hide behind “Everyone likes it the way it is” instead of doing some research and presenting some proposals that would promote wrestling and give the kids a greater experience and opportunity to be seen by college coaches. You appear to NOT CARE. Instead of creating ideas you fight those who do. Just like trackwrestling.com. Have you ever looked at it? It puts the Preferred Education Software to shame! Why won’t you even consider it? I get frustrated because you, in my opinion, don’t take your job as seriously as I would. You do not promote or try to improve Kansas High School Sports. You are only interested in regulating them.

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:00 PM

Mr. Cokeley

Yes we have information on officials as to their date of birth and years of experience BUT it has never been a directive that we factor age in as one of the items that is included in making post-season assignments.

While I earnestly do try to respond to your emails professionally and not in a manner which would demean the question or concern, if I believe I’ve responded to your question I reserve the right to not again respond to the same question/concern.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:50 PM

Rick,

I KNOW that you have the years of experience or years registered, years working a regional, years working a state tournament data available. If you do not bring in a normal amount on the left side you will run out of experienced officials. It is simple statistics. You cannot just continue to look at THIS YEAR. You need to plan for the future. Your process is not good and it is heavily laced with politics and good ole boy network instead of getting the BEST officials available. I know and you must admit, you are having trouble getting enough officials to do the regional tournaments. Yet, you are doing nothing to develop quality officials and make sure that you have an adequate number. Einstein’s definition of insanity “Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:40 PM

Mr. Cokeley

To respond to your question in total – no I do not (nor does any of the KSHSAA staff in making assignments of officials to any KSHSAA post-season events) “evaluate” the age of officials being assigned to post-season events. There is no “normal distribution” relevant to age of officials that we are charged with including as one of the factors in making any of the post-season assignments.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:13 PM

Rick,

I never inferred that age was a factor in determining who was selected. I was asking if you had evaluated the age of your officials, as I know you have this information available, to see if you had a data trend that shows we are having a problem. If you do not have a normal distribution then your process is not working. If the population is skewed to the right then you are going to run out of officials with decent experience. Another way to look at would be to put a chart together with years of experience to see if you are bringing in new officials so you don’t paint yourself into a corner. This should be a basic, fundamental requirement of your job. It is called succession planning. I won’t charge you for my consulting. 

Will Cokeley

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:37 AM

Mr. Cokeley

The age of officials assigned to KSHSAA tournaments is not factored into the assignments.

Rick Bowden

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:28 AM
Subject: KSHSAA Wrestling Officials

Rick,

Do you have the distribution data for the age of officials used at last year’s state tournaments? I am just curious if we have a normal distribution spread from 20-60 or if we have a skewed curve heavily weighted to the right, towards 60.

We are having trouble getting enough officials to do our youth tournaments now. This is starting to impact the numbers for KSHSAA Regional tournaments. My theory is that we are losing a great number of officials because they give up after a few years of being turned down for a HS State tournament when they know their skills and abilities are at a distinct advantage over some of the elder statesmen who get selected year-in and year-out. A good example, Mike Ford from Prairie View was retired for a number of years. His son graduated and he put his stripes back on and was immediately assigned the 4A state tournament in his first year back. His skills had severely eroded and his attitude has become nearly hostile. While Denny Hensley, head official for the Kids State and a veteran of over 10 Tulsa Nationals, was passed over for I believe the fifth time. He is a far better official than 50% of those who were assigned KSHSAA State Tournaments. The process is broken.

Will Cokeley

It's called TACT Will, and it's clearly evident that you lack it when trying to "make your point", whatever it may be! I'm surprised, and actually you've just demonstrated with how wrong you are to be calling Bowden lazy! If I were in his position and you were writing me such crap, I would have blocked/spammed your garbage right into the trash can! Yet time and time again, he responded to your attacks and rudeness! Far from what I'd call "lazy".

You posed a question, and he answered. You didn't like his answer(s), so you reposed the same question. He finally cut you off, after your last asinine comment(s)/personal attack and you call that lazy!?

Try this on for size, and tell me if you ever heard it: "You'll catch more flies with honey, than vinegar." (http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/id...th+vinegar.html)
Try it sometime. You'll be surprised at the results. It's also never a good idea to burn bridges that you'll someday need to cross!

I'm out! This OLD 38-year-old, "good-ol'-boy" needs pack his gear for State! Where are you officiating? Oh, that's right, here's a link to get you started: http://www.kshsaa.org/Public/Official/NewOfficials.cfm

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: jamesrenfro] #184008 02/24/11 01:18 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: jamesrenfro
How cool would it be to have that court covered with mats from door to door at Allen Field House? That may send some sport fans into a tizzy. It would be worth fighting the traffic, parking, motels, etc just to see the KU faithful in mourning.

I have seen quite a few KU games in Allen Field House going back to 1985. I can't say that I have ever watched wrestling in that historic building, but that would be awesome!

Lee Girard
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: sportsfan02] #184009 02/24/11 01:22 AM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Sportsfan02- Event of what size? Number of spectators?

Name me one freaking event that you have paid $20 to park at Intrust. I have been to a lot of things at Intrust and the most I ever paid was $10 and that was right across the street and was the first event I ever attended so was unsure of all the areas.

Most of the time it is $5-$8 dollars and I am from within 2 blocks of the arena. I might add these have all been sold-out or close to sold out events.

I guess the NCAA has no problem scheduling a future 1st round tournament game at Intrust and that would be during "working hours" but I am sure they have not done their homework before making this decision.

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Purple_Freak] #184019 02/24/11 02:43 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Yeah oddly enough the parking gets more expensive the farther away from the arena you get, up to and including parking meters when you get over by Century II. As to you being unsure of the parking, that is one of the biggest complaints, and I have experienced it myself. You are never sure of what is public vs private parking and which is available at what times of the day or night.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that NCAA thing a women's game?

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Shane Koranda] #184099 02/24/11 03:44 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Shane, you are off topic but I will address your concerns.

See Rick's responses to questions regarding his efforts to improve. NO is pretty much the only word in his vocab. He lost $40,000 plus on a HS state wrestling tournament. The only way that happens is if you don't thoroughly do your job, ie you are lazy or maybe you just suck. I thought he would rather be called lazy than told he sucks.

Where are you in life? How far have your methods carried you? I have only seen you on the mat so the only thing I know is that you haven't skipped many meals. Maybe you have been eating the honey that you were going to use to catch flies with. Who wants to catch flies anyway? I like where I am and I will continue to pick when to use honey, vinegar or whatever I need to. I am certainly not setting out to please you.

Rick may have demonstrated a lack of laziness in your mind by responding to me but I would actually call it stupid. I have had many, many exchanges with him over the past five years. All very similiar to this. He never directly answers a question so you are always left wondering what to do to stay compliant. If I were in his job I would be so busy improving things and actually doing my job that I wouldn't have time to exchange worthless emails with a crazy dad. Heck, I do it just to have fun and entertain myself. I know that my efforts with him are wasted. You need to read the inserted answers again. NO he has never tried to assemble a proposal to get all of the state tournaments in one building yet he brags about how great the state track meet is?!?

I know you are one of the good ole boys and congratulations to winning the popularity contest called getting a state assignment. Don't let it go to your head, it does NOT mean that you are one of the best officials. It only means that you promote yourself and perhaps do "other things" to get your name written down on a recommendation list.

Finally, read your handy Officials directory and you will find my name in it already. I have been registered for several years. I have NEVER put in for a regional as I have a family of wrestlers that are a higher priority. By the time they are done I will be willing to admit that my reaction time is not adequate and that it would not be fair to the wrestlers for a 60 year old guy to be stumbling around trying to figure out how to fairly score the match. Advice that I will give to you and that you should share with some others like Brad, Carl, Art, Johnny, etc.

Hope all your calls are fair and just with no bias this weekend. May the force be with you!

Back to the topic!! All in favor of a single site, three day state tournament vote YES!!!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Cokeley] #184109 02/24/11 05:19 PM
U
up4wrestling Offline
U
I have a friend that does work for alot of sports events and when asked the question about who could host such an event and how Missouri did..this is what she said:

Missouri held theirs at Mizzou Arena in Columbia which holds just over 15,000. There are four school size classes in MO for wrestling. During most of the finals, 70 to 75% of the seats were full...which I think is a pretty good turnout. ... As far as venues are concerned, I think the following could hold 8 mats: Intrust Bank Arena in Wichita (15,000 seats), Koch Arena in Wichita (10,500), Kansas Expocentre in Topeka (10,000 seats), Bicentennial Center in Salina (7,500 seats). Allen Fieldhouse holds 16,300 and Bramlage Coliseum can seat 12,500, but I'm not sure they can retract the bleachers back enough in either of those venues to accommodate 8 mats. If they're really considering moving back to having all the classes at one venue, they should really contact the Missouri State High School Activity Association (MSHSAA.org) to see how they run it. It was a well-oiled machine. I'm also think Iowa runs an all-class tourney as well.

This is information relayed to me...

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: up4wrestling] #184117 02/24/11 05:46 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
One State Tournament Location [Re: Bill Johnson]
smokeycabin

Loc: Shawnee Kansas

College Coaches do attend H.S. State Tournaments. They are not only looking at Seniors they are looking at some of the freshman, sophmores & juniors as future recruits. They do not ONLY attend summer wrestling national events. 1 or 2 State locations would be much better for our sport - in my opinion. Additonally, some of the other current H.S. wrestlers, parents of high school wrestlers, fans, High School and College coaches I talked to agreed with my opinion.

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: smokeycabin] #184121 02/24/11 06:21 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
[quote] "See Rick's responses to questions regarding his efforts to improve. NO is pretty much the only word in his vocab. He lost $40,000 plus on a HS state wrestling tournament. The only way that happens is if you don't thoroughly do your job, ie you are lazy or maybe you just suck. I thought he would rather be called lazy than told he sucks." [quote]

Cokely, you're statements are bold and somewhat contoversial, but I think your series of emails with Rick Bowden really shows the true colors of the KSHAA. I compliment you for at least backing up your comments with some substance. Back to the KSHAA, they are stuck in the past, have very little plans to progress the sport in Kansas and are being reactive instead of leading. I was really surprised how Rick's replies are so defensive. Yes, you're requests we're critical but were also constructive and not personally attacking.

I would disagree on your use of the word "Lazy" describing Rick as think that is a little harsh. I've met Rick Bowden I know he works hard and is smart. I think a better word to use would be complacent. It seems he works hard doing the same old thing, but I don't see any initiative to change and improve the situation.

You're example of losing $40K on the state tournaments represents this. That should not be acceptable. My guess as to why they lost so much is because the tournament is at 3 sites. If it was at one site, you only have to pay for one facility. I say get creative ( I've read a lot ideas on the site)and find a way to have the tournament at one location. It would save money, and would be better for all the wrestlers.
Just takes a little visiona and initative. The facilities are there.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: Purple_Freak] #184146 02/24/11 07:42 PM
W
wishingiwerether Offline
W
State at one place!
Being an Iowa high school state place winner (long time ago) was one the biggest thrills of my life. I get goose bump just thinking about it. 15000 + screaming fans, parking 3 blocks away, watching all your friends wrestle in different Classes. I can even remember the frosty malts! Believe me as a wrestler and now a parent not having this all together is a shame for everyone. I do think you need to a have a 16 man brackets at state so every wrestler gets a legitimate chance to qualify. I believe there are plenty of venues that can house this and all you need is time, so start early and stay late if that’s what it takes. Today’s tournaments lack that excitement that only a big crowd can give. Please continue the fight as the reward is priceless for all involved.

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: wishingiwerether] #184167 02/24/11 11:14 PM
C. Morgan Offline
I spent the better part of last weekend hanging out at MIZZOU Arena watching the MO state wrestling tournament. I attended the two all class sessions: semis Friday night and finals Saturday night. These two nights are typically the most attended throughout the weekend. Parking was crappy but better than my experience at the Bicentennial Center last year. Plenty of seating and not a bad seat in the house which is the opposite of the BC. Each session cost $8 and to be honest I would pay twice that for the level of entertainment I get with all four classes wrestling at one site.

I have no idea why KS doesnt combine into one site. KS definitely has several venues capable of handling a one site State Tournament using the MO template.

I recommend we start the change by availing a signature petition this weekend at each state site. Surely the majority of wrestling fans will sign the petition and that alone should force ADs and KSHAA to at least consider the change.

I nominate Mr. Cokeley to head this up for the CL4 site! Gotta go pack BC I gotta leave the the Ozarks at 0330 IOT keep my date with the first round at the BC tomorrow.

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: wishingiwerether] #184170 02/24/11 11:41 PM
WillyM Offline
Are 8 mats really needed for a one site state tournament. If you could do it in 3 days (thurs Fri and Sat) in sessions could it be done with 6 mats. Six 38 ft mats in 2 rows of 3 mats would require and area 114 feet X 76 feet. Plus you would need additional room around the block of 6 for walking, scorers etc--how much additional room--10 feet? So, a minimum of 135 feet X 96 feet. If using 40 foot mats 160 feet X 80 feet

Have tried for two days to find the floor specs for Allen Field House, Bramblage, and Koch arena. Must be top secret info.

Hartman Arena floor size is 200 X 85-a regulation ice hockey floor-should be able to get eight 38 or eight 40 foot mats down with adequate perimeter space. But, Hartman only seats 5,000 for sporting events.

Landon Arena at the Topeka Expocenter. Specs say the floor is 221 feet X 111 feet, 22500 square feet. Picture show an ice hockey floor which if regulation is 200 X 85. Landon seats 7450 if configured for hocky. Might jam a few more for HS wrestling.

Appears Landon Arena may be the best currently available location for a one site state HS wrestling tournament--other than Allen or bramblage (if we knew their demensions).

If going to do only one tournament it should be in a central location.

Topeka

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: WillyM] #184171 02/24/11 11:46 PM
R
rassler Offline
R
Is hartman arena going to be big enough to house 5&6a It looks awful small

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: rassler] #184172 02/25/11 12:09 AM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Will there be room to pray at the center of the mats? Just teasing!

If it is not big enough then we will have more leverage to move to one site with multiple sessions.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: rassler] #184177 02/25/11 01:10 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: rassler
Is hartman arena going to be big enough to house 5&6a It looks awful small

It should be about perfect for those two classes.

Re: Getting it back into one building [Re: sportsfan02] #184178 02/25/11 01:19 AM
P
PurpleDad Offline
P

Not there yet.....but I talked to some coaches who held a workout there tonight. they were suprized how little room there was on the floor. The wrestlers may be forced to find room in the stands with the spectators. I hope it is not too crowded.

Richard Bennett
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 93 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,932
Posts250,363
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)