Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: wrestlingmom] #184831 02/28/11 10:09 PM
Ryan Jilka Offline

My biggest issue would not be with Hartman but tournament directors. Why did semi final matches have to go one weight class at a time? There were 2 mats left open the entire night. Makes for a long round when kids are expected to go get something to eat (that isn't concession stand food) and get to bed for another long day of wresting. And there is no way I was spending another 5 bucks for a Pepsi. Maybe it's always done like this, I just don't remember.

[/quote] Ms. Henes,
I believe the reason for one weight in semis is for coaches with guys in successive weights. It allows the head coach the opportunity to be in the corner for all of his wrestlers in such a crucial moment. I understand your point about getting to food, but I personally prefer getting to watch more of the matches.

I was part of the planning committee, and I will say that I've never been around such hospitable people as the Hartman group when trying to plan an event. They wanted what was best for wrestlers first, not what would allow for maximum profit.

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: Ryan Jilka] #184846 02/28/11 11:16 PM
S
Svo69 Offline
S
It strikes me that a couple of perceived benefits in having one-weight at a time in the semi-final matches are that the wrestlers get a little better opportunity to serve as the focus of fan attention during their particular match, rewarding them for their hard efforts in competing for a chance at a coveted state title; and that the fans can better direct their attention towards a particular match, instead of dividing their attention over several interesting matches.

From my own selfish perspective, I enjoyed the one-weight, at at time method - conceding that it certainly took considerably more time.

Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: Svo69] #184889 03/01/11 02:15 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Watching the 5A and 6A State tape delay on KC METRO Sports. The few times you could see the stands if appeared that maybe 15 to 20 percent of the seats were empty. Lots of shots of the stand behind the medal podiums--lots of the same empty seats in the repeat shots. Perhaps a lot of folks were in the rest room or concession stands

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: back in the day] #184912 03/01/11 04:17 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
"Maybe next year the admin will put some thought into it. . ."

Maybe they did, this year.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: Ryan Jilka] #184929 03/01/11 11:22 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Ryan,

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. It just makes for a long night and not much sleep before an early wake up call. And I can't just leave when my kid is done, our heavyweight was in the semi's and we are part of a "team" so we stayed until the bitter end!

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: GregMann] #185016 03/01/11 08:00 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Originally Posted By: GregMann
"Maybe next year the admin will put some thought into it. . ."

Maybe they did, this year.

The only thought that took place the last three years for finals was to use the same CD or MP3. cheesy - Starwars soundtrack - NBC Olympic theme from who knows when.

Some thought would be nice to make this moment more majestic. I have sent mr Bowden suggestions but nothing ever came to them.

perhaps next year.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: Svo69] #185025 03/01/11 09:28 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Svo69
It strikes me that a couple of perceived benefits in having one-weight at a time in the semi-final matches are that the wrestlers get a little better opportunity to serve as the focus of fan attention during their particular match, rewarding them for their hard efforts in competing for a chance at a coveted state title; and that the fans can better direct their attention towards a particular match, instead of dividing their attention over several interesting matches.

From my own selfish perspective, I enjoyed the one-weight, at at time method - conceding that it certainly took considerably more time.

I actually like the one weight at a time also. It added to the importance of each match. Procedurally, I would like to see the finals start at a different weight. Almost always the heavy guys wrestle to a mostly empty arena. Also, in regard to the current match time rules, I have always thought that all the medal round matches should be 2-2-2. The 1 minute first period is not adequate for an important placing match. Are we really in that much of a hurry to go home and sit down?

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: back in the day] #185049 03/02/11 01:57 AM
G
gymmom Offline
G
We enjoyed Hartman Arena. We heard a few complaints about the pretzels being really hard but our experience with the food was pretty good. The free parking was great! I have to agree about the music for the parade and awards. I thought it sounded almost like funeral music at first. It definitely wasn't the "pump you up" kind I was expecting. I am hoping whoever chose the music will put more thought into it next year too!

Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: jojo] #185053 03/02/11 02:46 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
what if they combined 5a and 6a and then added 4a then it would fit.

Scott Bockover
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: bockman] #185090 03/02/11 02:47 PM
T
Tribe_Wrestling Offline
T
I thought the Hartman Arena worked out just fine! It made for a very great atmosphere and the tournament ran smoothly I thought. My only concern was if you were sitting down farther in the stands it was very hard to see because of a lot of wrestlers warming up and standing behind the risers watching teammates. Other than that i thought the 5a/6a tournament went off without a hitch!

Whatever It Takes!
Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: Tribe_Wrestling] #185092 03/02/11 03:05 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Combine it into one location.

If they (the schools or KSHSAA) are worried about kids missing school another day by combining the classes - make sure they get their school work done before they leave. They will get their work done - if they don't - don't let them participate at state. Hartman was the best compared to past venues but not big enough for all 4 class finals or even multiple sessions. I would go to every session in one location.

Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: smokeycabin] #185095 03/02/11 03:10 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
It's not totally about missing school. First and foremost it is about the money that the extra day would cost those schools.

Re: Hartman Area Assessments [Re: sportsfan02] #185107 03/02/11 03:31 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Cut some points from the season if that is what it takes to combine it into one central location for State (1 tournament date). Make 2 or 3 classifications instead of 4. When they are pre high school or K-8th grade one state tournament is enough - 2 or 3 State high school classes should be plenty for wrestling. If that happens - the size of the venue is reduced in order to hold a state tournament also thus saving schools money. No not as many kids will qualify for state - but that should not be the goal. I think most people are with me on this one - to improve the quality not just the quantity.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 154 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)