Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied #184828 02/28/11 10:00 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
First off I want to applaud Jordan Brown for being the only person on the mat with the right idea on Friday night. He wanted to continue wrestling! The match was the first round where #1 meets #4. It was 0-0 when Boomer Mays lifted Jordan barely 18 inches from the mat and attempted to turk him to his back. Jordan's arm was trapped and he landed on his shoulder, 430 lbs of weight is a lot of weight! Wrestling continued until Jordan yelled out in pain. At that time the official on the whistle decided it must be a slam because the defensive wrestler was hurt. Give me a break! Ok, so maybe the assistant will have enough sense to explain to the official on the whistle that it was not even close to a slam. Wrestlers get hurt in legal situations. Is there a flag thrown on every football play when a player is injured?? Heck no. The assistant backed his call. Maybe the assistant was impressed with the lead officials warm up routine. smile Maybe he was watching another match? Maybe he just didn't want to over rule the lead (I believe he was the head official). A senior who has worked his whole life to get the chance to win a state title was denied by three adults who had to make the decision about them instead of the wrestlers. Bobby Douglas knew how to handle this when Scott Coleman was injured by Steve Mocco's illegal move. It is eimple so I hope all of you head coaches read this and know that when you have a wrestler who cannot continue and will not be able to wrestle that an inj default is the classy decision. This decision not only ruined Boomer's quest but also led to several being sent home without a chance at a medal as he worked his way through the backside getting 3rd. Please don't let this ever happen again.

Last edited by RedStorm; 03/01/11 12:28 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: Cokeley] #184914 03/01/11 04:30 AM
W
willie424 Offline
W
have to agree form what i have heard the wrestler was hurt, but it was not even close to a slam. it is sad how four years of work is determined by an official.

Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: willie424] #184927 03/01/11 10:51 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Will,

What did Coach Bobby Douglas do?

Thank you.

Dean Welsh

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: Dean Welsh] #184933 03/01/11 12:55 PM
Magnum811 Offline
During the NCAA tournament, 1st round, Mocco is called for an illegal move. Coleman is injured, but instead of taking the easy victory, Coleman went back to the circle, took a step back and injury defaulted to Mocco. Giving Mocco the win.

BTW, I was 12 rows away from this and refer to this match often.

Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: Magnum811] #184973 03/01/11 04:11 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
I believe Mocco went on to win an NCAA title this year. Coleman gets some major props also! - Kansas Boy

Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: lazyman_1] #185060 03/02/11 03:32 AM
O
old fella Offline
O
It is sad for Boomer he is a good kid and a senior. I hated to hear he was called for this, I wasn't there so I have to take your word for it.

Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: old fella] #185066 03/02/11 04:56 AM
Paratroop Offline
Originally Posted By: old fella
It is sad for Boomer he is a good kid and a senior. I hated to hear he was called for this, I wasn't there so I have to take your word for it.

I second that. His parents are good people too. I don't think Boomer will let it slow him down as he goes on to play D1 football!

If he has any frustration about the incident, I say he take it out on Missouri!

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: Paratroop] #185070 03/02/11 08:39 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Who is Boomer going to play football for and what position? Thanks,

Dean

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: Dean Welsh] #185079 03/02/11 12:37 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I believe he is going to Northern Illinois to play linebacker.

Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: Dean Welsh] #185080 03/02/11 12:38 PM
J
John Leupold Offline
J
Northern Illinois, Outside Backer

Re: Boomer Mays Unjustly Denied [Re: John Leupold] #185094 03/02/11 03:08 PM
K
klintdeere Offline
K
I saw the Mocco Coleman match and it was a class decision by Coach Douglas. He did not want a technicality to cost Mocco a chance at a NCAA title. I understand your point Will and do not disagree with you, but i have been on the other end of things too.

I was in the corner of two high school matches where i had a wrestler injured by illegal slams. Both of my wrestlers were injured by illegal moves and won their matches as a result.

One of which occured with about 5 seconds left in the third period. My wrestler was a quality kid but was outmatched, the other wrestler repeatedly drilled him after carrying him high on crunch double legs (a lot of non calls by the young ref working it) finally an illegal slam was called with the other wrestler up by 5 in the consolation semis of a two day tourney.

the other match was the finals of a small tourney in Missouri. my heavyweight faced a state runner up in the finals. The opponent had one move, a freestyle arm throw that was beautiful, he would toss heavies at will. My guy tied up with him, ducked under and the kid threw him from his feet in to the mat, slamming his head and dislocating his shoulder severely. The ref signaled immediately and disqualified the thrower before I was even out of the corner to treat my kid.

As a coaching point on the first match, i did not budge one bit on it, my guy could not continue, was injured by an illegal move and could not continue on. Granted, it was not the state tourney nor the NCAAs. Was it the wrong decision, i don't know. I did see the kid later in the year, his coach commented that he stopped messing around and was a better wrestler as a result of being held accountable. The other, i had no choice, the official took complete charge, had stated that he had talked previously with the coach and wrestler to keep things legal.

I am sure the Mays and Brown scenario is exactly as you state and totally see your point. But, rules are rules and often time applied to assure the safety of our kids.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)