Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: CWB] #185492 03/04/11 05:23 PM
Art Kennedy,EJCW Offline
Is this the same shelley Kurt-bock or Kurt Shelley from the Hugoton law firm ? think im cornfused

http://media.lawrence.com/news/documents/2010/10/29/Formal_Complaint.pdf

Last edited by Art Kennedy,EJCW; 03/04/11 05:32 PM.

Avise Le Fin
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: daverobson] #185493 03/04/11 05:30 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: daverobson
richard please explain what you mean about district 4 having a extra vote on the board!! wuld like to better understand what you are meaning by that post!!!
thanks for explaining in advance!!!
dave robson

USAW Kansas Kids
Executive Council Officers

Executive Director (Elected by State Body)
Matt Treaster - Newton - (District 3)

Assistant Executive Director (Elected by State Body)
Tom Richard - Manhattan - (District 3)

Secretary (Appointed by Executive Director) NON VOTING POSITION
Patti Ochs - Hoxie (District 4)

Officials Representative
Van Kuhn - Kinsley - (District 4)

Parliamentarian (Elected by State Body) NON VOTING POSITION
Richard D. Salyer - Towanda - (District 2)

State Freestyle Director (Elected by State Body)
Will Cokeley - Eudora - (District 1)

Treasurer (Elected by State Body)
Leann Buckley - Clay Center - (District 3)

Voting Members of the Executive Council Elected by the Club Director's at the annual District Meeting
District 1 (Four Voting Members)
Tuff Hermreck - Director
Mark Stanley - Assistant Director
Chriss Ball - Assistant Director
Tom Peterman - Freestyle Director

District 2 (Four Voting Members)
Richard D. Salyer - Director
Jess Keith - Assistant Director
Melissa Shoaf - Assistant Director
Charles Knox - Freestyle Director

District 3 (Four Voting Members)
Lance Engel - Director
James Cook - Assistant Director
Michael Brownell - Assistant Director
Danny Grater - Freestyle Director

District 4 (Five Voting Members)
Steve Woody - Director
Scott Edwards - Assistant Director
Kyle Wright - Assistant Director
Kent Hahn - Freestyle Director
Joe Arrelano - Freestyle Director

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: CWB] #185494 03/04/11 05:37 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Mr. Stanley,
In fact this is the first time i have made this so called accusation i have commented on this topic in the past but have never talked about who or if they have beat any wrestlers in the past. I have strongly stated my opinion about how I feel they should be able to finish the season. So with all do respect before you start accusing people of comments they have not made please get your facts straight.

Lance Geyer
785-650-1607

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: L.Geyer] #185495 03/04/11 05:43 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
so are they going to be able to wrestle or not?

Jason Ford
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Art Kennedy,EJCW] #185497 03/04/11 05:45 PM
M
Murph Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Art Kennedy,EJCW
Is this the same shelley Kurt-bock or Kurt Shelley from the Hugoton law firm ? think im cornfused

http://media.lawrence.com/news/documents/2010/10/29/Formal_Complaint.pdf

Appears to be two different lawyers. The lawyer on the restraining order lists a bar number of 14504. The lawyer with the disciplinary complaint is listed as 10073.

A bar number is essentially like your social security number. It identifies the lawyer in all court procedings and pleadings.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Wrestlerspappy] #185498 03/04/11 05:48 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Wrestlerspappy
so are they going to be able to wrestle or not?

It has yet to be determined! The restraining order allowed the Oklahoma wrestlers to be entered prior to the deadline for entries.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: L.Geyer] #185500 03/04/11 05:53 PM
R
R. Scott Edwards Offline
R
Was not trying to get on your bad side, was just trying to let you know when the first date of letter was.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #185503 03/04/11 06:09 PM
R
R. Scott Edwards Offline
R
District IV has five voting members because of our geographical size. Our district is almost 200 miles by 200 miles. That is almost twice the size of any other district in the state, that is why we were allowed an extra freestyle director which is a voting member.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: R. Scott Edwards] #185504 03/04/11 06:11 PM
D
daverobson Offline
D
ok thanks scott!!
see you next week!!

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: daverobson] #185510 03/04/11 06:52 PM
A. Steele Offline
Does USAW at the national level have any say in this or because it has to do with a USAW-Kansas tournament do they stay out of it?

Andrew Steele
ford69f100@yahoo.com
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: A. Steele] #185514 03/04/11 07:24 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: A. Steele
Does USAW at the national level have any say in this
No!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: lylegeyer] #185517 03/04/11 07:44 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: lylegeyer
Originally Posted By: doinasipleaz
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY YOU DONT LET THESE THINGS HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE! Give people an INCH they TAKE a MILE!!! This is RIDICULOUS!!

I agree ridiculous! Take their money, give them cards, and then kick them out!! Kansas is two timing them. Good luck Hugoton wrestlers and parents on this most ridiculous matter. They could of just not accepted their usa-kansas dues, and that would of been it, but that's not what the board did.

what did the parents do to start a club in OK??? this is absolutely the most ridiculous reason to tie up the state courts. i can not stand people who can't accept the answer NO. when they get told NO, they disrupt everything to fight for their "cause".

lyle they were not kicked out of wrestling, they were excluded from the OK wrestling series, then the KS state series, because they tried to take the EASY way out. now they are going to waste more precious time and $$$ fighting this in court. completely unreasonable to me why if they LOVE wrestling so much, why they don't fight in the correct way. lyle when was the last time you told your wrestlers that it's alright to blame the referee for a loss????? why is it OK for everyone in our society to sue, when they don't get their way???? that's NOT value taught in any wrestling room that i've been in.

paratroop: i would respect their fight if i had seen where these people spent their legal $$$ to start a club in Guymon. Lyle wrestlers don't leave it in the refs hand, and Americans never quit. respectful folks don't cry foul, and threaten to sue everytime the get told NO, either. this is most definatley a huge problem in society today, with all the better things our court system could be deciding. this is a complete waste of time and resources.

forgive me parents/ supporters of this legal battle, while i still am cheering for these people to get wrestling (the right way), i cannot respect this action.

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/04/11 08:32 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: L.Geyer] #185523 03/04/11 08:07 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
Mr. Geyer,

I will admit you caught me. I confused you with Lyle Geyer from the previous "Just let them finish" thread.

Quote:
Makes Kansas look weak to me. No wonder Oklahoma has most the all americans in Tulsa every year. Kansas has alot of dodging if you ask me. That's why the highschoolers already avoid the kids state tourny, Scared of a loss on their record. I've read all year kids state don't matter, only High School. Well it looks like to me like it does matter - lylegeyer Leoti KS

...any relation? I think the majority of body will see through this. The board and USAWKS will respect the courts injunction while it is being fought in court. This is more than can be said for the Guymon families respect for the Executive Board authority. The members of the Executive Council are Directors of wrestling clubs. They are team Mom's. They are treasurers and secretaries. They are your coaches. We all serve in a voluntary capacity and are elected by our peers in this organization to look out for the best interests of USAWKS. Like it or not we made a decision. This is democracy in action. Sometimes it is a little ugly. However, the process was more than fair to the Guymon wrestlers. They were not excluded from practicing with Hugoton or attending Open tournaments in KS. They just did not get the result they wanted in regaurds to the State Tourney. Just because it was within their ability to file this injunction it does not make it right. No more than it is right for the Wisconsin legislature to flee to Illinois to avoid democracy in action. If you don't like the decision of those that serve you step up and run. If you are elected, you will get the opportunity to put your stamp on the future of our organization.

Mark Stanley

Last edited by Mark J Stanley; 03/04/11 08:14 PM.
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: HEADUP] #185525 03/04/11 08:13 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
here's a respectful KS wrestling story for ya!

for years the Frontenac kids, and Girard kids have wrestled with the Pittsburg Wrestling Club. In high school they were allowed to COOP (practice and compete together until state tournament series at which time each competitor competes withing his schools classification)with Pittsburg High School USD 250.

about six years ago Pittsburg decided not to COOP in wrestling for anyone who didn't pay property taxes within the USD 250 boudaries. for reason that seem silly to some, very valid to others.

this allowed Nick Whetzell who graduated from COLGAN HIGH SCHOOL, to continue to wrestle in high school.

it excluded Kyle Johnson from Girard. this is the same Kyle Johnson who finished as a 4x state medalist, and a 3x runner-up, for Columbus High School.
you see Kyle could have quit wrestling, and stayed with his life long friends in Girard. Kyle was a wrestler, he has NO quit in him. they didn't tie up the courts! they fought in a better way. they searched for a school who would COOP. Columbus welcomed Kyle, and his family in Junior High. He ultimately transferred to Columbus, and has signed a letter of intent to wrestle for Fort Hays. you see i was Kyle's coach here in Pittsburg, and am very proud of the fact that he decided to stay in the circle and battle rather than run to the table, complain, and try to blame someone else for his situation.

a few years back the Pittsburg Kids club finished in the top 10 as a team. they had 5 state champs, and 11 state qualifiers. 3 of those state champs, and 6 of the state qualifiers were enrolled in Frank Layden elementary school in Frontenac USD 249. Zac Hensley, Tyler Hensley, and Brandon Mlekus were state champs, were would never be allowed to compete in wrestling in high school because their school didn't offer the sport, and a previously mentioned Pittsburg would not COOP. Dylan Flora and Andrew Forrest, state qualifiers, would have to hang up the wrestling shoes in junior high, for the same reason. These boys have very loving parents, Denny and Rhonda Hensley, Randy Flora, Monica Maus among other who decided that they needed to fight for their sons. these great folks wanted to fight for their sons, so they could wrestle. they could have taken PHS to court, they could have taught their kids to sit back and point blame. they chose to fight. first they got their own club. then they showed the school board the interest. then they got a junior high team. this year they competed for the first time ever as a high school. i am very proud of these young men, and their parents for doing the right thing. they stayed on the mat, and away from the table, to do battle, and in the next few years they WILL be earning some 321A hardware as individuals, and probably a team.

sorry so long, but these stories portray how wrestlers fight!

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/04/11 08:35 PM.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: HEADUP] #185528 03/04/11 08:32 PM
J
justdoit Offline
J
While the argument for why they feel entitled to wrestle in the Kansas Kid's State tournament seems to be because they are members of the Hugoton team, the attorney did comment on the hardship of having to travel far to compete in Oklahoma because of Guymon's remote location. Having said, that looking at the total distance of competing in Oklahoma Kid's State Series versus Kansas Kid's State, it looks like it would be more of a hardship to compete in Kansas Kid's State assuming that the wrestler qualifies for State.

Guymon to OKWA Northwest Regional Tournament in Stillwater, OK round trip: 536 miles

Guymon to OKWA State in Tulsa, OK round trip: 652 miles

Total miles traveled: 536 + 652 = 1,188

Guymon to District IV South Dodge City, KS round trip: 258

Guymon to District IV Championships Pratt, KS round trip: 346

Guymon to Kansas Kid's State Topeka, KS round trip: 778

Total miles traveled: 1,382 for an extra 194 miles traveled.

Plus you have one extra weekend where you have additional food costs and potential hotel expenses.

If I were in their shoes I would be grateful if an exception was made to let my child compete in the Kansas State tournament, however, there would be no sense of entitlement that they must be allowed to compete because "we paid our dues". The attorney also stated that the parents were filing this because they "spoke of the disappointment of their sons". I'm sure there will be some very "disappointed" Kansas wrestlers who won't being going to their own state's tournament because they are beat out by a wrestler from another state...

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: justdoit] #185539 03/04/11 10:11 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
bottom line is it's a KS tournament if you don't live in KS you can't compete. how hard is that to understand.

i am sincere when i say that i am sorry that the kids had to endure this. but i think that as adults, the hugoton club, and parents need to look in the mirror when they are pointing the blame.

what have you done to start a club in guymon?
will you take the easy way out next year and lie about your address?
will you teach these kids to fight for what they want, or will you teach them always blame others when things don't turn out the way they wanted?
will they ever respect the decisions of an administrator at school, a superior at work?
will they learn that sometimes life isn't fair?
are they getting the right life lessons from wrestling?
i hope so, our youth are our future, but that doesn't mean that we can't make sure they have our best interest in mind when that take over. its a revolving door, we take care of them now so that they can take care of us later. will they be prepared when we pass the torch?
are you preparing the child for the path, or the path for the child?

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/04/11 10:12 PM.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: HEADUP] #185545 03/04/11 10:55 PM
R
rassler Offline
R
They have money to hire lawyers and file a lawsuit but they are too lazy to start their own club in oklahoma and do things right. Then they come on here and accuse kansas of being scared to wrestle their kids what a bunch of horse poop. I guess next year they may have to get off their butts and start their own club if they want to wrestle.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: rassler] #185551 03/05/11 12:05 AM
J
Jeremy Molloy Offline
J
I have mixed emotions on this, I think that it should have been decided in October and been the end of it not wait till the season is alomost over, now about starting their own club that is easier said than done what about mats(they are expensive) and a coach that knows what they are doing. These people have said they are new to the sport so they can't go coach these kids and teach them anything productive without knowledge. I think let them finish the season and make the rules to not let them in next year. JMO and lawsuit is not the way to go but that is the world we live in.

Jeremy Molloy
Derby Wrestling
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #185552 03/05/11 12:21 AM
C
culo71 Offline
C
Richerd ur just hateing cause ur boys probly can't beat these boys!.... so here's something for ya keep ur mouth shut !!!

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: culo71] #185553 03/05/11 12:24 AM
C
culo71 Offline
C
Rassler shut up !!! Look who's on there butt now! Just worry about urself and keep on walking !!! Yall r just scared that's what!!

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 163 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)